Okay elder-gamers, confess your sins! What's the oldest game you've played on Xbox Series S/X or PS5?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I am nearly 40 years old. That's my excuse. For what, you ask? Well, you see, I got an Xbox Series X and I've been playing around with it, enjoying the integration of libraries of games from all generations of Xbox. I was looking through the Black Friday deals the other day and I noticed that Namco Museum Archives Vol. 1 was only $10. I have always wanted a copy of Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti and this is one of the first times it's been available outside of Japan, plus I only have like 6 digital copies of Dig Dug, and that can't possibly be enough, so I decided to buy it. You might think that means that the oldest game I've played on my Xbox Series is that 1989 NES game, but, you see, that collection also comes with a bunch of other games, including Dragon Spirit: The New Legend, a really great NES Vertical shmup that I had never played but instantly fell in love with. That's another 1989 banger, so it doesn't really change things, but while I was enjoying that vertical shmup goodness I noticed that the collection also included the 1984 NES version of Xevious, a game that I've never really liked but have at least 4 digital copies of at this point. So I booted that up and gave it a whirl. I actually think I liked it more this time than I usually do, especially because I could see how it helped inspire Dragon Spirit.

At that point I was all in and I already had a copy of Midway Arcade Origins in my digital library, so I downloaded that and used the awesome power of the Xbox Series X, with its high tech SSD and its 12 teraflops of performance to play a couple rounds of Robotron 2084, a 1982 classic that pretty much invented the twinstick shooter genre.

So yeah. I used my less than 1 month old expensive piece of new gaming tech to play a bunch of emulated NES arcade conversions and an emulated version of a 360 game that itself was emulating a 1982 arcade banger.

The truth is that as much as I enjoy all the new fangled tech and current gen games, I also like having access to the classics on one system, and sometimes you don't want to play an ultra-realistic looking Viking murder simulator. Sometimes you want to play some frickin' Dragon Spirit.

So, fellow olds, what's the dustiest old piece of software you've played on your less than a month old system, and why?

Life is short.  Don't waste another second NOT playing Dragon Spirit: The New Legend.
Life is short. Don't waste another second NOT playing Dragon Spirit: The New Legend.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of the first things I put on my Series X was Hexic HD and I have zero regrets.

Still one of the best "pack in" games ever. I still remain horrible at it to this day.

MrBGone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does watching an old Giallo movie count?

My ps5 have only gone back to a 2018 game so far but God of war looked so crappy compared to Demon's that I just couldn't be bothered with it (the most melodramatic beginning of game ever didn't help).

MechaShadow84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I enjoyed some Unreal Championship 2. I wish Xbox would enable Xbox Live servers for original Xbox games once more.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

The first game I fired up on the Series X was Halo:CE and I've also found myself playing quite a lot of Super Hang-On within Yakuza: Like a Dragon.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri: Yeah, if it counts then Outrun inside of Like a Dragon is the oldest thing I've played on my PS5. Loved that game as a kid, kinda ass at it now though!

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@takayamasama: Hexic HD is great and I also played a little Hexic on my Series X. It has HD right in the title so clearly it's meant to push the system to its very limits. Also it makes maximal use of the SSD. Gotta load those hot HD assets as quick as possible!

@creepingdeath0: I think that Outrun inside Yakuza definitely counts. It might even count more, because you bought brand new expensive hardware, a brand new AAA game, and are spending at least some of your time playing an emulated arcade game from the 80s. That is 100% the spirit of this thread, which is about both how new tech doesn't mean the old games aren't still fun and exciting (not just games from the 8th gen but games from the dawn of gaming) and just my personal amusement at the idea of using a 9th gen console to play emulated versions of ancient games.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

For me on the PS5 it would have to be Warframe. The game came out in 2008, and went about a good decade before it got good. Luckily, I started playing when it got good. I guess another contender would be Killzone: Shadow Fall, since that was a PS4 launch title. Not only does it hold up graphically after all these years, the game had an unlock frame rate and now runs at a smooth 60 on PS5. I think the campaign is easily one of the best in the series and FPS in general. I've always enjoyed it.

Briten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first game I played on the series x was Black(2006). Played it from start to finish. It may not hold up to modern games, but it's still fun.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By big_denim

I'm ashamed. I haven't booted up many 'old' games yet.

I did boot up Geometry Wars on Series X launch day though, and I'm looking forward to spinning through Ninja Gaiden soon once I get some game reviews off my plate.

I also dabbled in some arcade games in Yakuza Like A Dragon, but those cause the game to crash (at least on Series X), so didn't get to play nearly as much as I wanted :(

PS What defines 'old' these days??? Haha.

ninkendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mega Man 2

If I can play Mega Man 2 on a platform I will play it.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@av_gamer said:

For me on the PS5 it would have to be Warframe. The game came out in 2008, and went about a good decade before it got good. Luckily, I started playing when it got good. I guess another contender would be Killzone: Shadow Fall, since that was a PS4 launch title. Not only does it hold up graphically after all these years, the game had an unlock frame rate and now runs at a smooth 60 on PS5. I think the campaign is easily one of the best in the series and FPS in general. I've always enjoyed it.

Warframe wasn't even in closed beta until late 2012/early 2013.

taylorwmartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I’m 28 and I played Castlevania 1 on PS5 last night.

Avatar image for terminallychill
terminallychill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

One of the old Activision driving games inside CODBLOPSCW... god that’s a mouthful of an acronym.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I've been playing some Fallout 3 on my Series X, and it's been great. It got some enhancements when the One X came out, but I jumped straight from an OG Xbox One to a Series X. Load times are incredibly snappy, and the draw distance is so good that objects out on the horizon can start to act in weird ways.

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Doom 2

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

You all sound like you have beards 🤣

majormitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 31

The first game I booted up on my Series S was Jet Force Gemini...

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't have an Xbox, but if I hypothetically owned one, Fable II.

apewins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By apewins

I very specifically bought the Series S as a retro console (assuming you can call the original Xbox and the 360 retro). I already completed Halo, but that was the remastered edition so I'm not sure if it counts. I'm well on my way to beating GTA 4. Played some Splinter Cell, but the first one is kind of janky that I might move directly to Pandora Tomorrow which I remember being a much better game. I plan to play some Ninja Gaiden, SW: KOTOR and Jade Empire, but sadly none of these went on sale for Black Friday, so I may have to buy them at regular price then.

Overall oldest games I've completed on a recent console were Castlevania and Mega Man on the PS4, on their respective collections. With VinnyVania/Blue Bombing rules, meaning that I could save-state at the start of a level, but not during.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’ve been playing the arcade archive of Pac-Man on the PS5 after watching the Tim Rogers review

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I made it a point that the first game on my PS5 was Resogun because I thought that was funny for some reason

Speaking in a more meaningful fashion: Demon Souls is technically 11 years old but it is also a remake so... whatever. And beyond that the oldest would be Horizon Zero Dawn (one day I will finish that). But haven't done a lot of gaming this week

rafar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've played some Windjammers on the PS5 recently.

shabz6662

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Final fantasy 13 and splinter cell conviction

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Banjo Kazooie son

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just bought Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. I own the discs somewhere, but can't be bothered to dig them out of the attic. Plus, it is absolutely, 100%, no debate the best game in that series to date, jank and all. It's the only one that felt like it built a unique world as opposed to "generic medieval period" (Oblivion) and "generic vikings" (Skyrim).

norm9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Picking up my Series X on Sunday and I'm looking forward to continuing my Command and Conquer 3 playthrough.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rocking some Puzzle Fighter HD Remix the other day (for the first time ever).

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Original Doom, for whatever reason. I just have it on most of my systems at this point. And Geometry Wars!