OMG SO4 is AMAZING!!! I also have a secret for you. Buy a 360!!!

Dr_Cash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Dr_Cash

Simpy put Star Ocean 4 is freaking AMAZING. Fine get over some slighty corny voice acting due to being dubbed from japan version none the less it is still good.

First things first I want to SLAP the MOMMY of all the FOOLS that have said the graphics are only ok. WHAT!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!. On my 65in 1080P they are freaking OF THE CHARTS GOOD. Hey catch this I think they are better then uncharted and Gears. So beautiful amd colorful and in some cutscene parts outside in the day light almost look photo real cinmatic style and this is all in game engine. The game easily is by far the Best jrpg EVER PERIOD as far as graphics go.

And don't even get me started on the game play the battle system is the best ever it totaly ROCKS!!!! and all so fluid and seemless and just down right freaking awsome.

Ok here is the secret I have for all of you. I hear so man complaints about the camera. And yes it bugged me at first. Here is the trick very simple boys and girls. just go into the options and change it to inverted for left and right. And it makes it 100x better to control.

This game is an AAA for 360 jrpg's and honestly I do feel for those with PS3 only becuase I know most are diehard jrpg fans and boy do we have a dandy on the 360 now.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By AndrewGaspar

I was under the impression that the game wasn't out yet?

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

It came out monday

And as for the game, yea, it's kickass.  It's pretty much established by now (granted the GT and GS reviews are probably needed to cement it universally).
As for the graphics, they're damn good, I don't get why people are saying it look bad.

It's like they're using this screen

when in reality this is how the game looks

(actually the character portrait has been changed though)
And it does look a tad better out of combat.

-----> Also, Dear, Ign, you can invert the camera, don't be a dumbass.  Realize there's more options than just that first visible set.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Snail

I think... that Cash is Smug.

Dr_Cash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Dr_Cash
SmugDarkLoser said:
"

It came out monday

And as for the game, yea, it's kickass.  It's pretty much established by now (granted the GT and GS reviews are probably needed to cement it universally).
As for the graphics, they're damn good, I don't get why people are saying it look bad.

It's like they're using this screen

when in reality this is how the game looks

(actually the character portrait has been changed though)
And it does look a tad better out of combat.

-----> Also, Dear, Ign, you can invert the camera, don't be a dumbass.  Realize there's more options than just that first visible set.

"

Your confusing me with both of these pics. Becuase On my TV i mean it looks lights years better. Well yeah the battle sim pic is you know that's what it looks like but the other looks low res my TV makes it look so so much better.
Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Bear

So I should buy the is game because:

Dr_Cash said:

[Star Ocean 4's visuals are] so beautiful amd colorful and in some cutscene parts outside in the day light almost look photo real cinmatic style and this is all in game engine. The game easily is by far the Best jrpg EVER PERIOD as far as graphics go.
and
And don't even get me started on the game play the battle system is the best ever it totaly ROCKS!!!! and all so fluid and seemless and just down right freaking awsome.
What about the story? If I am going to purchase a game that will take me around 50 hours to complete, I would like to know whether the story is enjoyable throughout.
What makes the battle system so fluid and seamless? Are all of your actions easily accessible?
I hear the lip synching is fairly bad, what did you think of it? Did it lessen your enjoyment of the game, or is it something that can be easily overlooked?

Have you played a RPG like Valkyria Chronicles or Tales of Vesperia? The artistic style of those two games' visuals are pretty impressive, which is in contrast to the more realistic approach that Star Ocean 4's visuals take. Perhaps it is just me, but games that attempt to appear somewhat realistic tend to show their flaws more prominently than ones that are heavily stylized, such as the aforementioned titles.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#7  Edited By tearhead

Why did you create two threads that are basically about the same topic??  Last Star Ocean game I played was the first... I liked it a lot... never finished it though.

EDIT: The voice acting in this game sounds horrible though.

Dr_Cash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dr_Cash
Bear said:
"So I should buy the is game because:

Dr_Cash said:
[Star Ocean 4's visuals are] so beautiful amd colorful and in some cutscene parts outside in the day light almost look photo real cinmatic style and this is all in game engine. The game easily is by far the Best jrpg EVER PERIOD as far as graphics go.
and
What about the story? If I am going to purchase a game that will take me around 50 hours to complete, I would like to know whether the story is enjoyable throughout.
What makes the battle system so fluid and seamless? Are all of your actions easily accessible?
I hear the lip synching is fairly bad, what did you think of it? Did it lessen your enjoyment of the game, or is it something that can be easily overlooked?

Have you played a RPG like Valkyria Chronicles or Tales of Vesperia? The artistic style of those two games' visuals are pretty impressive, which is in contrast to the more realistic approach that Star Ocean 4's visuals take. Perhaps it is just me, but games that attempt to appear somewhat realistic tend to show their flaws more prominently than ones that are heavily stylized, such as the aforementioned titles.

"

As I said the voice actiong is slight weak. Nothing to gripe over thought BECAUSE NO!!! It does not really effect how awsome the game is for it's graphics and gameplay. And I find the music also really good.

And yes once you learn how to do counter moves and blind sides with your attacks man the battle system totaly rocks and yes it's very easy and you can jump and dodge it's BAD ASS trust me.

Also here is a better pic. This is in game engine most of the game looks this good om a nice big HD TV.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

I've been wondering, though, is there any co-op? I can't find a solid yes or no answer. Some places said no, some yes.

Dr_Cash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Dr_Cash

As far as I know there is no coop. The only coop you have is you can swap on the fly between your squad in the game and that is bad ass also. The blind side attacks are so sweet,. They go into slow mo it's awsome.

And again just go into options and change the left right inverted cam to inverted basicly solves the whole cam complaints. AKA IGN reviewer wake up please???

You really have to go into this game thinking what you want and need for a great game. If you want good music and great gameplay and truly awsome realtime combat with very deep level system and upgrades and side quests and all the above oh and yeah FREAKING amazing graphics depending your TV. Then look no further the 360 has deffiantly came of age with SO4, The graphics are so good and run so smooth in some spots it will make you say HUH ps3 na 360 is more powerful.

And yes the voice and lip again is a tad off sometimes but all in all it's still very good and the story is faily good.

It's an awsome jrpg and yes I think it is the best thus far for 360 and anything else for this gen by far.

Steven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Steven

I've had a strange desire to play a jrpg...maybe this will be the one.  Hmm...I hope the story is worth it.

Dr_Cash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Dr_Cash
Steven said:
"I've had a strange desire to play a jrpg...maybe this will be the one.  Hmm...I hope the story is worth it.
"

Well this is not the best ever story jrpg. But it is a dam fine close to the best gameplay and all the other. And the graphics are by far the best ever so far for an jrpg.

You have to go into these games saying ok I want to feel like a kid and you want to be lost in a fantasy world and well if you do this then you will be in pure gaming bliss and these kind of games you will always remeber.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Karmum

Well, I should be getting the game from GameFly in the mail today, so hopefully it is good.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By atejas
Snail said:
"I think... that Cash is Smug.
"
I think that Levio found a taste for jRPGs and a new IP address.
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Snail
atejas said:
"Snail said:
"I think... that Cash is Smug."
I think that Levio found a taste for jRPGs and a new IP address."
Levios' older brother. Not Levio himself.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Meowayne

So your argument is.. the story is weak, but it looks good?

Guess I'll have to give this a pass, then. Lost Odyssey walks the fine line between "Awesome"  and "unplayably embarassing" with it's horrible story and storytelling, the only thing that saves it are the dreams. I imagine SO4 is even worse.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Diamond

Star Ocean 4 has a good story and writing, but some of the actors are really bad.  Lost Odyssey's story was never embarrassing, but maybe the voice acting was at some points, I don't know I was playing it in Japanese and I can't get a feel if the actors are incredibly bad.  SO4's story so far doesn't touch LO's best parts, but it's still very good for a JRPG (which are 95% complete pieces of trash, story-wise).

The graphics are excellent though.  Noone who's actually played the game would complain.  The game uses tons of nice texturing and ligthing.  Parallax mapping which I haven't seen in such abundance in ANY game since a few of the launch 360 games.  Indoor areas in SO4 look especailly amazing.

The gameplay is very engrossing and addictive.  I think overall SO4 might be my favorite 360 JRPG so far.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By Meowayne
Diamond said:
"Star Ocean 4 has a good story and writing, but some of the actors are really bad.  Lost Odyssey's story was never embarrassing, but maybe the voice acting was at some points, I don't know I was playing it in Japanese and I can't get a feel if the actors are incredibly bad.  SO4's story so far doesn't touch LO's best parts, but it's still very good for a JRPG (which are 95% complete pieces of trash, story-wise)."
Lost Odysseys story and storytelling are the poorest and saddest I have seen in a long, long time. I love Lost Odyssey immensely, but only because the other parts make up for the unbelievably bad script, cinematography and characterizations. The VA, on the other hand, were very Okay for the most part.

So when you're saying that SO4 ist even worse than Lost Odyssey, wow.

I sometimes regret that I started reading books and watching good movies. It makes videogaming for the sense of getting-told-stories so much less awesome.

But I guess I'll have to give it a try. Good JRPGs are such a rarity these times that I'm even willing to try Final Fantasy XIII.

Dr_Cash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Dr_Cash
Meowayne said:
"So your argument is.. the story is weak, but it looks good?

Guess I'll have to give this a pass, then. Lost Odyssey walks the fine line between "Awesome"  and "unplayably embarassing" with it's horrible story and storytelling, the only thing that saves it are the dreams. I imagine SO4 is even worse.
"
See this just shows how games treat people different. I Myself hated the dreams I would skip them mostly. But I loved the other parts of the game.

So this is one reason Ilke SO4 I say well no bad dreams of nonsense like in LO so that is a big plus. And the voice action is basicly about the same as any other jrpg. They are never really that great. It's always the gameplay and the graphics and music that make the game. And SO4 does that very well.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Diamond
Meowayne said:
"Diamond said:
"Star Ocean 4 has a good story and writing, but some of the actors are really bad.  Lost Odyssey's story was never embarrassing, but maybe the voice acting was at some points, I don't know I was playing it in Japanese and I can't get a feel if the actors are incredibly bad.  SO4's story so far doesn't touch LO's best parts, but it's still very good for a JRPG (which are 95% complete pieces of trash, story-wise)."
Lost Odysseys story and storytelling are the poorest and saddest I have seen in a long, long time. I love Lost Odyssey immensely, but only because the other parts make up for the unbelievably bad script, cinematography and characterizations. The VA, on the other hand, were very Okay for the most part.

So when you're saying that SO4 ist even worse than Lost Odyssey, wow.

I sometimes regret that I started reading books and watching good movies. It makes videogaming for the sense of getting-told-stories so much less awesome.

But I guess I'll have to give it a try. Good JRPGs are such a rarity these times that I'm even willing to try Final Fantasy XIII.
Hyperbole much?  Or is Lost Odyssey the only game you've ever played?  It has some of the best story and writing in a game ever.  I wonder what your idea of a good movie or good book is.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Dr_Cash said:
"Meowayne said:
"So your argument is.. the story is weak, but it looks good?

"
See this just shows how games treat people different. I Myself hated the dreams I would skip them mostly. But I loved the other parts of the game.

So this is one reason Ilke SO4 I say well no bad dreams of nonsense like in LO so that is a big plus. And the voice action is basicly about the same as any other jrpg. They are never really that great. It's always the gameplay and the graphics and music that make the game. And SO4 does that very well.
"
I'm seriously confused. 
What kind of jrpg player wouldn't read the dreams? >.>

The voice acting in Lost Odyssey is some of the best, jrpg or not. 
People really are brutal on jrpg voice acting, it can be perfect yet people will come down on it.  Hilarious when you have the same people voicing over pixar movies and some jrpgs and then they call the jrpg's voice acting bad (referencing lost odyssey)

Here's just a sample from Lost Odyssey (spoiler---but honestly, everyone sees it coming)

Honestly speaking, JRPG cutscenes aren't voiced over bad, it really is completely dependent on the budget of the game really. 
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By LiquidPrince
Dr_Cash said:
"The game easily is by far the Best jrpg EVER PERIOD as far as graphics go."
It's probably great and all, bought I doubt it's the best.

ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ImpendingFoil

It definitely looks good, though I'm probably going to wait for a price drop.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Graphics don't mean a whole lot to me if the story is weak.

Gunrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Gunrock

Again with bashing the ps3.... any way like ppl have said if the story and gameplay is good the graphics don't really matter, and in that case Valkyria Chronicles wins by far, that game just looks gorgeous.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Gunrock said:
"Again with bashing the ps3.... any way like ppl have said if the story and gameplay is good the graphics don't really matter, and in that case Valkyria Chronicles wins by far, that game just looks gorgeous.
"

Call me crazy, but what the hell are you talking about?  I don't believe the Ps3 was even mentioned in this thread
Gunrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Gunrock
Dr_Cash said:
"Simpy put Star Ocean 4 is freaking AMAZING. Fine get over some slighty corny voice acting due to being dubbed from japan version none the less it is still good.

First things first I want to SLAP the MOMMY of all the FOOLS that have said the graphics are only ok. WHAT!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!. On my 65in 1080P they are freaking OF THE CHARTS GOOD. Hey catch this I think they are better then uncharted and Gears. So beautiful amd colorful and in some cutscene parts outside in the day light almost look photo real cinmatic style and this is all in game engine. The game easily is by far the Best jrpg EVER PERIOD as far as graphics go.

Ok here is the secret I have for all of you. I hear so man complaints about the camera. And yes it bugged me at first. Here is the trick very simple boys and girls. just go into the options and change it to inverted for left and right. And it makes it 100x better to control.

This game is an AAA for 360 jrpg's and honestly I do feel for those with PS3 only becuase I know most are diehard jrpg fans and boy do we have a dandy on the 360 now.

"
There you go =)
shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By shadows_kill
Snail said:
"I think... that Cash is Smug.
"
i think so too

and also cash/smug 1 game isnt enough to buy a 200$+ system...
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JoelTGM

Dang you're a little hyped up aren't you lol.  I've got a 360 and I'm not interested in playing this game, I really do not like that kind of gameplay.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Diamond
Gunrock said:
"Again with bashing the ps3.... any way like ppl have said if the story and gameplay is good the graphics don't really matter, and in that case Valkyria Chronicles wins by far, that game just looks gorgeous.
Valkyria Chronicles does look really nice, but it's more of a strategy game than RPG.

LiquidPrince said:
It's probably great and all, bought I doubt it's the best.
No, I agree with him.  It's the best IMO too.  Only other RPG that comes close is Fallout 3, just because the vistas can be really nice looking in that.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#31  Edited By Geno

I would get a 360, but I'm afraid that Star Ocean being a JRPG, won't be finished before the 360 red rings.