On the comments of Patrick and where you can stick them.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Red12b

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Red12b

Come the fuck down people, Get off your supposed holier than thou, stick up your ass, bullshit & fucking lame high horse and just come to terms with the fact that Patrick Klepeck is apart of the staff,

ITS BEEN TWO YEARS!

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/the-latest-news-about-the-latest-news/3046/

Get the fuck over yourselves

Jeff on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:12 a.m.
Congratulations to the people complaining about the only guy on staff who spoke up and said "yeah, sure, let's interview Swery while he's in town." You're all Grade A truth-tellers who totally get us as people, man.

When Jeff has to weigh in on the tenth page of a video, expressing his disgust at you assholes bitching about and discussing the various reasons why you don't like Patrick, discussing Brad Nicholson, yeah, it's been 2 years Giant Bomb isn't a team of 4 anymore boo fucking hoo,

Look, in life, there are people you like, and people you don't, for different reasons you might dislike Patrick, guess what, nothing you can do will change anything about the fact he is on Staff, He's doing some interesting work, you might disagree with a lot of it, hey, that's ok. just stop with the incessant bitching and whining, that is distracting from the actual content he's writing about,

Attack the content, not the man.

and stop being a bunch of dicks.

Mageman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Mageman

Patrick > Brad

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Red12b

@Mageman said:

Patrick > Brad

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5  Edited By Castiel

@Mageman said:

Patrick > Brad

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Vinny_Says

where's the thread about the people bitching about the people bitching about the people bitching about patrick?

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Oldirtybearon

I don't like Patrick very much, but I'd like to think the reasons are valid (he indulges in too much hyperbole, talks over other people all the time, spoils shit with reckless abandon, has written some ethically questionable articles). That being said, are there really people who attack him personally in his comment threads, or is it people expressing disinterest in him being involved in content? One is probably heavily moderated and the other is genuine criticism of content or Patrick's participation in that content. Criticism =/= whining and bitching that he's still here.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Red12b

@dudeglove said:

You captured lightning in a bottle with the cool story bro thing a couple of years ago, but I don't think it will work twice.

Probably not,

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Winternet

How can someone actively dislike/hate someone through the Internet blows my mind every time.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By musubi

I don't care even if you don't like Patrick but complaining about it at this point is just fucking dumb. So shut up, ya jerks.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Red12b

@Oldirtybearon said:

I don't like Patrick very much, but I'd like to think the reasons are valid (he indulges in too much hyperbole, talks over other people all the time, spoils shit with reckless abandon, has written some ethically questionable articles). That being said, are there really people who attack him personally in his comment threads, or is it people expressing disinterest in him being involved in content? One is probably heavily moderated and the other is genuine criticism of content or Patrick's participation in that content. Criticism =/= whining and bitching that he's still here.

That's a genuine criticism, and it can be constructive, Brevity, The art of brevity, condensing what you need to say to a sharp point, He could take a lesson in that, Alex, and for all the hate that dude gets, Knows brevity,

@Winternet said:

How can someone actively dislike/hate someone through the Internet blows my mind every time.

I know right

prakun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By prakun

Even though I obviously don't hate him, I do think that his articles are of really bad quality and that he's taking advantage of some controversial issues for his own personal gain, which unfortunately really hurts the general quality and image of this site.

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By BD_Mr_Bubbles

@Red12b said:

Come the fuck down people, Get off your supposed holier than thou, stick up your ass, bullshit & fucking lame high horse and just come to terms with the fact that Patrick Klepeck is apart of the staff,

ITS BEEN TWO YEARS!

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/the-latest-news-about-the-latest-news/3046/

Get the fuck over yourselves

Jeff on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:12 a.m.
Congratulations to the people complaining about the only guy on staff who spoke up and said "yeah, sure, let's interview Swery while he's in town." You're all Grade A truth-tellers who totally get us as people, man.

When Jeff has to weigh in on the tenth page of a video, expressing his disgust at you assholes bitching about and discussing the various reasons why you don't like Patrick, discussing Brad Nicholson, yeah, it's been 2 years Giant Bomb isn't a team of 4 anymore boo fucking hoo,

Look, in life, there are people you like, and people you don't, for different reasons you might dislike Patrick, guess what, nothing you can do will change anything about the fact he is on Staff, He's doing some interesting work, you might disagree with a lot of it, hey, that's ok. just stop with the incessant bitching and whining, that is distracting from the actual content he's writing about,

Attack the content, not the man.

and stop being a bunch of dicks.

Thank you very much sir this is basically how I feel about all the Patrick hate.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

Seriously the guy has been here for almost two years and people are still complaining just as much (or worse) than when he first showed up. If you have to bitch about it keep it to yourself.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By vaiz

I don't see eye to eye with Kleptok on a lot of issues, but he does good work more often than not.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By TruthTellah

At first, judging by the title, I thought this was suggesting that Patrick should take his comments and stick them somewhere.("comments of Patrick" suggests the topic is his comments) Glad it's just a kind of off-kilter rant against those who simply thrive on attention.

Hate only makes Patrick stronger. It has been two years. Love him or hate him, he's part of the Giant Bomb family, and for the foreseeable future, he's here to stay. People need to learn how to let go. You can dislike him, but you don't have to take every possible opportunity to share all the ways you dislike him whenever he does or says anything.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad
deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I love Patrick - although our taste in games varies, I relate to him the most in many of the podcast talks and his style of writing really gets to me. He's a great staff member and seems to really care about this community.

My only criticism of him however, is he does get too excited sometimes and blurts out spoilers here and there, hell even Brad has gotten better about it. But then again, there are tons of other "criticisms" of the other staff members as well.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@Demoskinos said:

I don't care even if you don't like Patrick but complaining about it at this point is just fucking dumb. So shut up, ya jerks.

Just because some of us likes anime doesn't mean you can tell us to sh- Oh, different jerks, nevermind, nevermind.

But on a serious note, I agree with you on this one. I'm not a fan of his, but I don't fucking brag about it everytime either.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Winternet

Also where is the option "Patrick is fucking great"?

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Branthog

And, I'll say it again as I said in an earlier thread about , today:

I think GB is better for having five or six diverse personalities rather than six Gerstmans or six Davis' or six Shoemakers and with so many different personalities, some are bound to be more or less appealing to different people. It's fine to argue points with him or about his content, but it's pretty shitty to be antagonistic toward him. If you really can't stand him for some reason, there's still five other dudes making a lot of content that you can enjoy without being unfairly mean to one. For any criticisms I've voiced about a significant part of his content, I wouldn't wish him away from the site for a moment.

The vicious degree to which some of these comments go is truly neanderthal. It's worse than a class full of third graders harassing the new kid and spitting on him, because he wears glasses and that's "different". Patrick focuses on some content that really aggravates me (the constant typical game journalist "sexist" stuff -- not that it's relevant here). I've said as much. Often. It's his right to consider or ignore my complaint and criticism. But he's still a duder. Still a fucking human. It's okay to kind of not be turned on by some of the stuff he creates and still respect him as a god damn human being. And all those people always "defending" him? That's not being a white knight. That's being a human fucking being and not letting the flood of crap absolutely overwhelm things.

It would not be inconsistent with Giant Bomb's general attitude of "let's not censor shit" to treat hurtful attacks on staff that create content as the spam it is. It's one thing to offer criticism. Even if it's not the most constructive. But the absolutely mean-spirited and hateful two or three sentence bullshit that is posted for no other reason than to make someone feel awful is absolutely spam. Delete it. Stop allowing that shit. It fucks up the tone of the site, the community, and probably makes Patrick and other staff members hate the community (at least the community that is active and pays subscriptions and everything). I built and maintained a community as large as Giant Bomb for twelve years and for much of it, I absolutely detested it. The thought of interacting with it or the people eventually began to make me almost physically ill. And the users weren't even mean. Just having to deal with so many people, often fighting with each other all the time, ground me down. I almost can't even fathom what it must be like to be any of these guys and coming to work five or more days a week to a bunch of mean-spirited jerks that don't seem like they'll be happy until they shove you into a sausage-maker.

Obviously more conversation isn't going to change shit. My post isn't going to change shit. This thread isn't going to change shit. Jeff's post isn't going to change shit. The only thing that might do it is if it becomes an actual policy to simply treat those comments as the spam they are and delete them, with prejudice. They add nothing to the conversation. I guess the same could be said of a lot of comments about games and other content and external things, too. Fair enough. But that constant flood of non-constructive shit directed at the staff of the site itselfwith nothing other than mean-spirited intentions is easily the second most justifiable thing to FLAG and DELETE next to actual bots posting spam links to luggage websites or something.

Let's have at it. Make this a moderation policy. Empower and encourage the moderators to do it. If some of my critical comments are mistaken for mean shit toward the staff, then delete mine too (and maybe in the new beta site, give mods an instant ability to post a comment directly to the person who's message is being deleted to explain and curtail it in the future). Enough putting up with this shit from the community as a whole. Its nothing but a negative, makes the staff hostile towards all of us whether we're involved or not, and as Jeff pointed out -- probably drives other people away from here.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Example1013

DO WE GOT GIFS?

HELL YEA WE GOT GIFS

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#23  Edited By mike

@Branthog:

Let's have at it. Make this a moderation policy

It already is, really. We do what we can and you wouldn't believe (or maybe you would) the number of comments we delete and accounts we ban on a daily basis directly related to the issue at hand. It's in the thousands of comments and hundreds of accounts, I'm not even exaggerating.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Akyho

@prakun said:

Even though I obviously don't hate him, I do think that his articles are of really bad quality and that he's taking advantage of some controversial issues for his own personal gain, which unfortunately really hurts the general quality and image of this site.

To use you as an example. This is the best way to give your opinion, you have these opinions on Patrick WORK delivered in a nice way. I disagree with you, however you didn't attack Patrick as a person. You gave your opinion of his work in a civil manner, any valid points can be picked up and be carried to improvement if those points are found.

However when you see the comments before the mods act, the are some really really really nasty stuff, I am sick of that.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bell_End

these guys who do insult patrick are internet warriors.

they are making their feelings know behind the safety of the computer screen, posting behind anonimonty. they a brave and have the power to type any insult that come into their mind and post it where ever they like.

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By face15

@Mageman said:

Patrick > Brad

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@Branthog: I have a hard time reconciling that kind of vague policy being up the discretion of moderators. They're kinda pushy as it is, what with recently locking a thread that asked if forums have forgone actual discussion in order to avoid hurt feelings. So essentially, criticism of how message boards in general work is getting moderated. It doesn't seem like the best fit at present.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#28  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Shutting this down. There's room on this site for discussion of Patrick, but posts that are as insulting and inflammatory as the opening post here is, are a clear violation of the rules and only make things worse. Our golden rule is "Don't be a jerk" and that means even in the face of other people who are being jerks.