• 53 results
#1 Posted by zityz (2366 posts) -

No Caption Provided
This is one thing I don't often thing about when playing PC games. ( However my back and/or my ass feel it) After playing a game for a few hours on a PC, you can really start to get sore. Now I don't have the BEST chair out there, but I do have a decent leather armchair. Yet, after awhile, I start to feel a little sore. On the other hand, when playing on consoles. A vast majority of the time your sitting on a nice comfy couch. At least I know I am, and after those same few hours that go by, there is no discomfort. 

Now I could do that whole "get a wireless mouse and keyboard and hook up my PC to my big screen" but the PC can't support the resolution of that tv ( only have a 4850 in this. I need an upgrade) so that's out of the sort. I also can't be the only one who notices this. Or has this problem. 

At the same time, should chairs also be a factor as an "upgrade?" A lot of times you would upgrade your parts inside of the PC or software, but do we ever consider getting a new chair over time? Maybe it's from me sitting in it for awhile, but I think I might need to get a new chair even though this one is only a few years old.  

Anyone else feel this way?
#2 Posted by Pear (11 posts) -

Actually, I play games on my laptop from the sofa, so it´s all good for me.

#3 Posted by BeachThunder (15027 posts) -
@zityz said:
should chairs also be a factor as an "upgrade?"
That's actually an interesting point. Currently my chair is pretty crappy and I think it's probably going to break soon :(
#4 Edited by trebert (48 posts) -

My htpc runs 1920x1080 on my 2600. You most likely just need at dvi to hdmi adapter. Beyond that you most likely invested a lot more in your couch then your computer chair. I spend most of my day (all of my day) in my computer chair, and do so without getting sore. my couch on the other hand is the opposite experience. This is because I have a very cheap couch and an expensive chair. The difference is that a good computer chair is way cheaper then a good couch. As far as chair upgrades go, it certainly is something to consider if you spend any decent amount of time using it and have a chair that isn't comfortable. Same thing with headsets.

#5 Posted by sickVisionz (1307 posts) -

I don't consider myself of PC gamer (mainly because my laptop won't allow me to be one) , but I've got my laptop hooked up to my living room's TV.  Any modern non-Mac computer has a HDMI port on it.  Sofas and huge screens aren't a console advantage.

#6 Posted by DystopiaX (5800 posts) -

I've sat at a computer chair for hours and don't feel sore... I know that's just me, but that's not a negative for me personally, so no, PC gaming still wins that round (although my couch is more comfortable)

#7 Posted by iam3green (14368 posts) -

i don't think so because you can have a comfortable computer chair.  another thing it can go both ways, because i use to have a really old couch. it felt like sitting on the floor just a pillow on the ground.

#8 Edited by SLUSHiNaToR (168 posts) -

I disagree.. mainly because Im sitting in a computer chair regardless of what system I am playing.. lol.  Even if I were to sit on a sofa and play one of my consoles, It still wouldn't be as comfortable as playing my ds. I can laydown completely with my head on a pillow and covered with blankets.. now thats comfort :D 

*edit* 
btw, that couch looks ridiculously uncomfortable. lol

#9 Posted by Three0neFive (2431 posts) -

implying i didnt just finish an 8 hour crysis 2 marathon from my couch while playing at full 1080p on my 56" home theater projector from the comfort of my couch

#10 Posted by monetarydread (2863 posts) -

Even on a crappy computer chair, if you are too uncomfortable then you should:
1. Get a new computer chair. I spent $100 on a computer chair that is more comfortable than most chesterfields.
2. Get some exercise. My ass and back used to get sore after sitting for a while. Turns out that squats and situps were the cure. I can now sit anywhere for any amount of time and not feel sore anymore.

#11 Edited by jazzynight28 (32 posts) -

Just hook your computer up to your TV and use a 360 key mapper for games that don't support it by default. That's what I do, and it works great. 

Steam's even going to to supporting this with their UI soon as well, it's their "Big Picture" mode.

#12 Edited by 234r2we232 (3175 posts) -

A mere chair doesn't increase the quality of a graphics card or make my server full of any less 1337 cool dud3s. 

Clearly you do not know what you are talking about. Go back to playing on your "console" with your 6 year old graphics card... if you can even call it that *snicker* *snort*

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
#13 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1679 posts) -

I play my PS3 on my PC monitor

#14 Posted by Akeldama (4364 posts) -

I am sitting on a gorgeous and insanely comfortable sofa with my $2000 gaming laptop. Best of both worlds!

#15 Posted by Gruff182 (1065 posts) -

Those are probably the worst two images you could have chosen. I'd much rather sit in that chair.

#16 Posted by RsistncE (4498 posts) -

Nope.jpeg 

You can play from a couch on your PC if you want, you just have it hooked up to your TV instead and have a wireless keyboard/mouse (or a lapboard) OR you can use a 360, PS3, Wii, Move etc. controller if you want to also. PC Gaming is slightly more expensive and as a result is incredibly flexible; anything you can do on a console the PC can do, but better.

#17 Posted by ZeForgotten (10368 posts) -

Everything here is hooked up to the TV so PC still has everything over consoles around this house.

#18 Posted by time allen (2329 posts) -

invest in a nice desk chair > sit at your desk > play your games > man up.

order is subject to change.

#19 Edited by Simplexity (1430 posts) -

My couch sucks ass, my office chair is actually more comfortable I sit on it even when I play xbox games.

#20 Posted by Andorski (5482 posts) -

That chair looks way more comfortable than that couch. Shit looks like low quality Ikea shit.
#21 Posted by KillyDarko (1991 posts) -
My TV is my monitor. How about that? ^^
#22 Posted by Bollard (8010 posts) -

Well sorry to break your theory buddy but I stand up when I play console games. My TV is raised so its easier to see and play that way - plus I play better standing. 

Also for my PC I invested in a real nice leather chair, so I don't find it uncomfortable at all. I don't think I could ever actually sit on a sofa and play games seriously... I just can't play well at all.  

And finally, loads of people plug their PC's into a TV and use a sofa anyway, so this isn't entirely correct.

#23 Posted by Innovacious (266 posts) -

I always feel more comfortable in a snug chair than on a sofa. Even when i play console games i sit in a desk chair.

#24 Posted by Andorski (5482 posts) -
@Chavtheworld said:
" Well sorry to break your theory buddy but I stand up when I play console games. My TV is raised so its easier to see and play that way - plus I play better standing.  Also for my PC I invested in a real nice leather chair, so I don't find it uncomfortable at all. I don't think I could ever actually sit on a sofa and play games seriously... I just can't play well at all.   And finally, loads of people plug their PC's into a TV and use a sofa anyway, so this isn't entirely correct. "
Internet people always say this, but I personally know no-one who does it (for gaming purposes, I know a few who do it to have networked media centers throughout the house).  I live in the US - is this practice of playing PC games in the living room an international thing?  Or a college apartment thing?  Or a poor thing?
#25 Posted by Example1013 (4854 posts) -
@zityz: In all likelihood, your TV actually has a lower resolution than your monitor. For instance, Oblivion runs at a higher resolution on my laptop (1440x900) as opposed to my PS3 (1280x720). 1920x1080 is lower-resolution than most decent monitors, so you should be fine for playing on your TV. 

As it happens, size isn't related to pixels. And the reason is because you're expected to sit much farther away from a 53" TV than a 21" monitor, so they can get away with a lower pixel amount without sacrificing too much visual quality (also nothing that's made specifically for TV runs at a higher resolution).
#26 Posted by JoeyRavn (5283 posts) -

I play both on my monitor. And to be honest, I prefer being on a chair than on a sofa. Being able to seamlessly change from console to PC within the same physical space is much better than having the two things in different places.

#27 Posted by gunslingerNZ (2003 posts) -
@Scrumdidlyumptious said:
" I play my PS3 on my PC monitor "
I did this for a long time, in fact I still play the majority of my console games sitting in my computer chair so yeah this isn't a negative for me at all.
#28 Posted by TobbRobb (6446 posts) -

People still say this? Hook up your PC to the TV, get a gamepad or a fairly high table. Sit on couch.
For the record I do both my PC and console gaming in the same chair and never had problems with getting sore. Also if I had to choose between your pictures I personally think the chair looks way more comfy.

Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
#29 Posted by JoyfullOFrockets (1206 posts) -

How 'bout I just combine the two? Use a controller for my PC. Been doing it since forever.

#30 Posted by Ghostiet (5832 posts) -
@Scrumdidlyumptious said:
" I play my PS3 on my PC monitor "
#31 Posted by leebmx (2346 posts) -

This has always been my problem. I really like to play Fallout in bed before I go to sleep. This would be hard to arrange with PC. I also like the fact that I can pick up my console and move it from the bedroom to the living room very easily. Or have the PS3 in one room and the Xbox in another etc, etc. 
 It's not the definitive deal-breaker for consoles against PC's but it makes a difference if you are a lazy bastard who likes to be comfortable which I most certainly am.

#32 Posted by Bollard (8010 posts) -
@Andorski: I didn't necessarily mean everyone does it all the time, but whenever people say "Oh PC gaming is more uncomfortable because you can't sit on a sofa," that isn't actually true, cause I totally could (and have done when my PC was in my lounge) plug my Computer into a 42 inch HD TV, use a controller or even have a table nearby to use my keyboard/mouse whilst sitting on a sofa.
Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
#33 Posted by the_hiro_abides (1295 posts) -

I use the same chair for both. My TV is my monitor and I'm cool with 1360x768 resolution.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
#34 Edited by deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1 (1777 posts) -

I'm completely  comfortable gaming on the pc I have been for years I use a ottoman I believe that's what  there called for my feet  and legs while I'm on the chair so im not hunched over plus I like being close up to the monitor  I find it much more immersive .
ottoman.

No Caption Provided
#35 Posted by Shirogane (3647 posts) -
@Andorski said:
"

@Chavtheworld said:
"

Well sorry to break your theory buddy but I stand up when I play console games. My TV is raised so its easier to see and play that way - plus I play better standing.  Also for my PC I invested in a real nice leather chair, so I don't find it uncomfortable at all. I don't think I could ever actually sit on a sofa and play games seriously... I just can't play well at all.   And finally, loads of people plug their PC's into a TV and use a sofa anyway, so this isn't entirely correct.

"
Internet people always say this, but I personally know no-one who does it (for gaming purposes, I know a few who do it to have networked media centers throughout the house).  I live in the US - is this practice of playing PC games in the living room an international thing?  Or a college apartment thing?  Or a poor thing?

"

Funny thing about me and most of my friends? We do the opposite. We hook out consoles up to our monitors with HDMI. No comfy couches for us while consoling.
#36 Posted by Rattle618 (1504 posts) -

My chair is really bad but whenever I feel any discomfort I just get up for a couple of mins and everything is fine, I can go several hours a day in front of the monitor this way.  
That said... I am looking into building a really awesome stand for my K/M that would collapse into a side of my bed (which is close to the PC), I haven't really pursued it yet cause I fear the universe would actually cripple me for being so lazy.

#37 Posted by Vlaphor (252 posts) -

I use my computer and play my consoles games on the same 47in tv, so I don't notice any difference in the seat.  I have pretty much that same computer chair and it's comfy as hell. 

#38 Posted by EVO (4028 posts) -

I play console games on a computer chair, and I have a couch exactly like the one pictured.

#39 Posted by JTB123 (1273 posts) -

My chair is really comfy, sure I'd rather slouch around on my sofa but I always sit up when playing games anyway. I still haven't adjusted to the M+KB set up yet, my hands ache after a couple of hours. It's mainly the keyboard that I find so uncomfortable though.

#40 Posted by Yanngc33 (4551 posts) -
@Andorski said:
"

That chair looks way more comfortable than that couch. Shit looks like low quality Ikea shit.
"
Plus the chair is much better for your back so I'm saying a nice office chair easily beats the hard leather edges of the couch
Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
#41 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (2099 posts) -

As long as you have a resting place for your keyboard and mouse (or use a gamepad), desktop PC gaming on a sofa is perfectly available to you as an option.

#42 Posted by Drakhir (410 posts) -

That's just what's happening to you. 
I could play a console while sitting on a chair and I could use my computer while sitting on a couch. I could even sit on the ground doing both. Just pick the one you like.

#43 Posted by Illmatic (1380 posts) -

I do prefer couch gaming, but that's because my desktop chair is just a simple folding chair with a padded seat, now unpadded due to frequent use in a household of 5.

#44 Edited by crusader8463 (14765 posts) -

If you buy a good chair to sit in it's a million times more comfortable. One of the reasons I hate playing on my consoles is because I don't have any place that's comfortable to sit. Plus I have never liekd sitting in couches. They always make my neck hurt because there is ether no neck support, or the thing that's there for neck support is in a weird position and they make my neck ache. 

But yes, a good computer chair/ comfortable place to sit is very important, but that's just common sense. If you are going to be doing a hobby that will involving sitting around for long periods of time then obviously you will want something comfortable to sit on. 

#45 Posted by DeeGee (2192 posts) -

I don't see how anybody could find leather comfortable. Get a nice fabric chair and your ass will thank you.

#46 Posted by Rowr (5861 posts) -

When i build my new pc soon, i'm plugging it into the 58 inch with the surround sound system. I've run this sort of setup before and its definitely got its drawbacks over a smaller more focused classic pc setup, but with the big screen and awesome sound it makes for a much more cinematic experience. Also depends what you want to play.

#47 Posted by commandercup (525 posts) -

I have a relatively ergonomic chair that is pretty comfortable, but my problem with PC gaming is that I need to be using a mouse and keyboard. This means that if I want to have any real control over my actions, I need to be sitting up with my hands on my keyboard and mouse. I play console games at my desk as well, but the difference is that I can lean back and relax while playing since I don't have to be fettered to the desk itself. 

Couch vs Chair? Nothing really to argue there IMO, a good chair is just as comfortable as a good couch.

#48 Posted by crusader8463 (14765 posts) -
@JoyfullOFrockets said:
" How 'bout I just combine the two? Use a controller for my PC. Been doing it since forever. "
HSSSSSSSSSSS!!! BURN THE BLASPHEMER!!!
#49 Posted by MikeFightNight (1226 posts) -
@Masijet said:
"Just hook your computer up to your TV and use a 360 key mapper for games that don't support it by default. That's what I do, and it works great.  Steam's even going to to supporting this with their UI soon as well, it's their "Big Picture" mode. "

This i exacty what I do too.  It ay not be feasible for all pc gamers but for me it is the best way to go. 
Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
#50 Posted by JoyfullOFrockets (1206 posts) -
@crusader8463 said:
" @JoyfullOFrockets said:
" How 'bout I just combine the two? Use a controller for my PC. Been doing it since forever. "
HSSSSSSSSSSS!!! BURN THE BLASPHEMER!!! "
You can't burn what you can't see...