Original Nier to be released on < PS4><Xbox><Steam>

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -1

#1  Edited By berfunkle

SE is calling it a re-build. There's no release date yet.

I wouldn't exactly call it award winning, but I liked the game for it's quirkiness and most importantly, I enjoyed playing the game.

I should clarify Nier:Replicant is being re-built, but it's the version that was never made available in the west. Nier: Gestalt is the one I'm familiar with, although I heard the stories are similar. About a father/brother trying to find a cure for his sick daughter/sister. A story for our times you might say.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I do feel like grizzled old man Nier resonates better in that story than the brother but it makes sense that Replicant is the one they would remaster.

Anyway I like Nier a lot but I hope they re-build it into a much better to play game.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

idk why they couldnt just redo both into one release

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 14

#4 Humanity  Online

Weird to release Replicant as that story really benefits from the father daughter relationship aspect.

Regardless I actually think that the first Nier did a lot of things much better than Automata with the obvious exception of combat. Although a lot of the boss encounters while a bit unwieldy were even from a gameplay perspective more interesting - they play with the camera and forced perspective in really creative ways. Don’t get me wrong Automata is a great game in its own right but as someone that grew to weirdly really like the original for all its woes they seem like two very different games.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Teddie

Thank god I'll never need to pull out a PS3 to replay this game. Automata was great, but never grabbed me the way this game did. Hopefully Brother Nier is as compelling as Papa Nier, but I have my biases about that already.

A few tidbits: the music has been re-recorded, and some new tracks are being added. 2B and 9S's voice actors have confirmed they have some involvement, so there's gonna be some new content. Apparently this version will be "fully voice acted", (but I don't remember the original lacking much VO to begin with).

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Humanity  Online

That NG+ is so good in Nier..

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not quite as sure about being developed by Toylogic.

MobiusFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On one hand, I have no interest in this without Papa Nier. On the other, its nice to have one less reason to touch my PS3. I'm always surprised by how slow it is whenever I have to use it nowadays.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By liquiddragon

They are calling it ver. 1.22474487139

🤣🤣 Square is the best

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This might be a hard sell for people who aren't already invested, fans adore it for its story and its soul but level design and combat mechanics are definitely on the budget side, giving it a simple remastering might not be enough, also i imagine it would be one of those Japanese remasters where the 30fps lock can't be increased and i don't expect Toylogic to operate at the level of a studio like Bluepoint.
A remake is possible, i'd be pretty surprised, but recapturing the magic when rebuilding it from the ground up could be difficult.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Great, now with this game's release hopefully people will realize NieR:Automata's ending isn't that special and just a rehash of OG Nier's ending but with a bigger budget.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I enjoyed the original game (Gestalt) quite a bit but I have no desire to play it again. A lot of the game was quite tedious. (although I found the world and it's characters more endearing than Automata)

That being said if they did a full remake with Platinum at the helm i'd be on board, but personally I would much rather Platinum made more games based on their own IPs.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Zeik

@zombiepie: It's very similar, but Automata did it way better. Much like a lot (but not all) of Automata vs OG Nier.

I'm excited for this. Even if it is just a remaster I'll still buy it just to have it on PS4. But I'm definitely hoping for some gameplay improvements. And papa Nier really needs to be included somehow.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would have preferred this be Gestalt instead of Replicant, but if this gets more people playing the original Nier, that's great. I wonder if they remove the necessity of having to own every weapon in order to access the final endings?

jeremyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

Aw, I wanted to be the old man.

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By DinosaurCanada

God I hate Brother Nier’s hair. He’s fine as a character but I just hate his hair so much.

Epidehl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boy, reading this thread I see why they did the two versions in the first place. Americans really are obsessed with fathers and their daughters, huh?

I never actually finished Nier as a power outage caused me to lose a of progress and I never had the drive to redo it. Not sure if I care enough about this though, if people consider Automata better I probably won't enjoy it as I barely enjoyed that game.

GuardianBob87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope we get a Drakengard remaster too at some point to complete the sequence.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@epidehl: Sure I guess, you could certainly say they know what the home audience wanted more as well with the pretty boy protagonist and the brother/sister angle.

But stereotyping aside it does just feel like the nature of that story hits a little harder with old Nier.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Zeik

@epidehl: I think for most people who played OG Nier it has more to do with that being the version they experienced and grew to love. While I am interested in seeing the brother Nier side of the story, there are a lot of elements of the papa Nier story that were effective specifically because he was an older father character. Not letting people experience that (again or for the first time) would be a bummer.

If Replicant had been the only version released in both regions I don't think people would care as much. But who knows. Maybe if that had been the version we had got even its limited cult status would have been even smaller.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Humanity  Online

@epidehl: I really don’t think paternal love and sacrifice is some incredibly unique American value. I do think that a gruff “hero” does play better in the west than the typically androgynous pretty boy male lead found commonly in Japanese RPGs.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: +1 i prefer the father, he's also voiced well and i believe his struggle in everything he does to save his daughter.
I can't really speak to the lengths people would go for their brothers/sisters as i'm pretty distant with mine, so it's not really a story i can connect with.

MonkeyKing1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

As long as they never release NieR Gestalt, and never allow the characterization of the lead character as it was in NieR Gestalt. Gestalt was raw sewage strew with filth diapers.

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Ugh, having to play as the boy has turned my excitement off a bit.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it difficult to get all the weapons for the final ending? It must be a bit of a time suck but is it something that requires a guide?

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: I don't think obtaining any of the weapons is especially difficult, but I would definitely use a guide to find where they all are, as they're not all in obvious places.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: o ok cool. Is it possible to lock yourself out of that ending?

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: I don't think so. But you can miss ending C if you go for ending D first.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: so don't get all the weapons until you see the first 3 endings?

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: You can still get them all. There’s something else you do to decide C and D.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Zeik

@liquiddragon: Getting all the weapons just unlocks the ability to see ending D, but it's not automatic. However, the way it's designed is still kinda awkward, as if you don't know which leads to which you can end up with ending D first, which prevents you from seeing ending C, but if you get ending C the game tries to make replay the game a 4th time for ending D, but with nothing new added. But you can get around that by just loading up a previous save.

This is assuming none of that changes for the remake though. They did say new endings are a possibility. I thinking it's pretty likely they'll include "Ending E", which was only in the supplemental material until now.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: @efesell: ok cool, thanks. It's so easy to get spoiled on plot details when looking stuff up. I actually bought Nier about a year ago and looking to play the one I have. Didn't know ppl were so much about the dad/daughter version.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 54

#33  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I already bought a copy of Drakengard 3 about a month ago, so I guess I’m already all-in on having a bad time for the sake of some Yoko Taro insanity. Might as well get excited for this too, I guess.

Avatar image for electricbarrier
electricbarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbitrarywater: If by bad time you mean not a fun game, because you're playing Drakengard 3, then don't worry. Nier is significantly better at the game part than DoD3 is. I genuinely don't understand this new consensus that Nier was a good story, bad game. I'd say it's honestly pretty phenomenal considering the budget and resources it had to work with. How many other B-tier Square Enix games can you say not only have a really good story but are very fun to play?

I feel like people who think Nier wasn't a good game are either expecting too much, like a DMC or a Bayonetta out of it, or are people who never actually played it.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@electricbarrier: I don't know that it's a particularly 'new' consensus. Nier has always been sort of a cult following, with even the people into it acknowledging that it's what it does around the gameplay that is truly noteworthy.

It also has a lot of actively terrible side content that will harass anyone used to doing all of a games content. That's my actual advice to anyone getting into Nier, skip most of that side shit. If it seems like bullshit it probably is and you should move on.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@electricbarrier: The reason I never played Nier back in the day was because I had heard the gameplay and design wasn't good, despite being a great story. At that time in my life, that wasn't what I was interested in. I don't think the idea that it plays poorly despite being a pretty stellar narrative is a new thing.

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

A word about Drakengard 3. Not the greatest game play even for a B tier game admittedly, but the "boss" at the very end of the game was an incredible experience for me even more so than the very end of Nier: Automata. The graphics, the music, the rhythm game ... I was shaking at the end, glad I beat it and never touched the game again! But man oh man, was it amazing!

Of the GB staff that could beat the Boss easily I think, it would probably be Alex cause of his drum skills.

Avatar image for electricbarrier
electricbarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell:I guess it's not new but it's definitely more prevalent now. I've always said the story is better than the gameplay, but that's not hard when the story is so fantastic. I always had fun playing it, there's a lot of cool magic powers, and the boss fights are dramatic and exciting. Oh, but for sure, I enjoyed the side quests in Automata much more. If I recall, everything was a fetch quest or a monster hunt, except for like a handful of them.

@the_nubster: I guess I just wasn't paying attention. I had only ever met a few people who even knew the name Nier until Automata came out and they also enjoyed the gameplay. I dunno what those people are talking about, the gameplay and design are very good for a game of it's budget. I guess if one didn't like the perspective changes and top down shooting segments in Automata they wouldn't enjoy Nier that much, as there's much more of it there(sans the powered suits)

@berfunkle: And finally I'll keep this short, since this comment is getting long, yeah DoD3 isn't great, not even as good as Drakengard, which is the real "good story, bad game" game. The final boss however is pretty amazing. If you never played Drakengard and/or don't know about it's Ending E, it's a call back to that which was very similar, only this is much more dickish in an attempt to one-up that sequence. I never beat it :/

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Drakengard 3 boss is a fascinating idea that someone should have been in the room to say 'No'. Yoko Taro reached too close to the sun and burned his hand.