• 81 results
DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By DeathByWaffle

Guys, this is gonna be better than the Phantom.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By mtcantor

@DeathByWaffle said:

Did they every actually take money for the Phantom?

This seems far more criminal.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#53  Edited By Vonocourt

@mtcantor said:

@DeathByWaffle said:

Did they every actually take money for the Phantom?

This seems far more criminal.

No, they did eventually release the keyboard.

This is amazing, like "suing God" levels of satire. Unintentional or otherwise.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By SpaceRunaway

This is the dumbest fucking thing--

@Jaqen_HGhar said:

Or they might be trying to make the first Beemo.

Take all my money.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#55  Edited By BaneFireLord
@leebmx said:

Damn! If I hadn't bought that Playstation 5 at the market last week I would've had enough money for this revolutionary console.

And how are you enjoying your box of spoons?
Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MattyFTM said:

@Gamergirl197811 said:

You guys are fools!!!! This is going to be an amazing console! You really should check your facts before you just start talking about something you don't know anything about and from a lot of your comments you don't. I checked their FQA questions on their website and it answered a lot of my questions maybe you should do the same! People are so closed minded that they don't know something is great when it's right in their face! I want something new! I'm going to give these guys a chance! They have my support 100%! Love the design! Go Oton!!!!!

The IP address from this account is from Oxford, Alabama. And does anyone want to venture a guess where Derrick Samuels, CEO of the company behind Oton is from? Alabama, according to his twitter account. Oh, and his LinkedIn account specifies even more detail - the Anniston, Alabama area. And you know what a Google Map of Anniston, Alabama shows? Oxford is right next to it!!! Literally, less than a mile away.

Now, I wouldn't be one to post accusations or anything, but one could certainly come to some conclusions based on this information. Stay classy, Derrick Samuels!!!

I fucking love you man lol

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By Levio

I don't get it. If this thing has the artificial intelligence necessary to make games, why do developers waste so much time coding and designing and such?

People can be so ditzy sometimes!

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#58  Edited By bed

@Gamergirl197811 said:

You guys are fools!!!! This is going to be an amazing console! You really should check your facts before you just start talking about something you don't know anything about and from a lot of your comments you don't. I checked their FQA questions on their website and it answered a lot of my questions maybe you should do the same! People are so closed minded that they don't know something is great when it's right in their face! I want something new! I'm going to give these guys a chance! They have my support 100%! Love the design! Go Oton!!!!!

thank you i just bought 100 Otons

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#59  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@ShaggE said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

This is such an obvious scam that it doesn't even warrant any attention.

Sure it does. Your average scam isn't this ridiculously funny.

Ok, you're right. Otons for everyone.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#60  Edited By BoG

I love how that site is almost identical to Kickstarter. That made me suspicious before reading further. Then I went to the FAQ to find out if my money would be returned in the event that it isn't funded, and I found out that my card is charged immediately. That's comforting.

I love how it is described as "autonomous." That's fun. Instant games? Cool. It seems to imply that complex first-person shooters can be created instantly. Boy, is Activision going to feel silly for giving those Infinity Ward dude so much money.

In closing, is my new hero.

JordanK85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By JordanK85

After seeing the OTON site I decided to check the html code to see what template they were using, if any, and I noticed an h1 element with the id of "lockitron_header". At first I thought Lockitron might be the name of a template or CMS but instead Google took me to https://lockitron.com/preorder. You'll notice the uncanny similarity in the pages. The credibility of this product just keeps increasing.

Tldr: If you're too lazy to remove evidence of your stolen code then you're probably just a tad bit too lazy to create your own console.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By stinky
@JordanK85 said:

After seeing the OTON site I decided to check the html code to see what template they were using, if any, and I noticed an h1 element with the id of "lockitron_header". At first I though Lockitron might be the name of a template or CMS but instead Google took me to https://lockitron.com/preorder. You'll notice the uncanny similarity in the pages. The credibility of this product just keeps increasing.

Tldr: If you're too lazy to remove evidence of your stolen code then you're probably just a tad bit too lazy to create your own console.

was about to dig in the code as well as some things didn't make sense.  
nice layout with crappy graphics. what you found explains a lot.
Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Akyho

@JordanK85:

You know something...I am genuinely somewhat excited over the lockitron product, I kind of want one. I dont have a iphone or even a lock that would work with it, mainly I want to see how it works.

The Oton however even is its true to the words of the "CEO" I am not interested. Since if its true and he hasn't lied, it will create things worse than what RPG maker or Games Maker or Mugen creates.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By CptBedlam

Ha, this thread is great!

"gamergirl somethingsomething"... really?

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fake. A CNC machine makes the game code? lol This is actually pretty funny considering it will sell people on it just because they said Linux and Android in the video.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#66  Edited By musclerider

This is the craziest shit.
I just kind of want to see a handful of these "quadrillion games."

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#67  Edited By Phatmac

@MattyFTM said:

@Gamergirl197811 said:

The IP address from this account is from Oxford, Alabama. And does anyone want to venture a guess where Derrick Samuels, CEO of the company behind Oton is from? Alabama, according to his twitter account. Oh, and his LinkedIn account specifies even more detail - the Anniston, Alabama area. And you know what a Google Map of Anniston, Alabama shows? Oxford is right next to it!!! Literally, less than a mile away.

Now, I wouldn't be one to post accusations or anything, but one could certainly come to some conclusions based on this information. Stay classy, Derrick Samuels!!!

You're the best Matt.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By MikkaQ

This thread is amazing, guys.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By FourWude

Omg, Ppeople are getting outed. It's ItalyCanadian9 all over again.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Dalai

So it's a roguelike console made by a few guys in Alabama who think we're closed-minded?

I think I'll pass.

superpow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By superpow

If this technology really did what they said it did, its impact on games and civilization as a whole would be so profound that they could literally call up any venture capital firm in the world and get as many millions of dollars as they needed for nearly no equity.

However, I still only see 6 suckers who parted with 339$ on their "kickstarter" page.

galacticgravy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By galacticgravy

I'm always in favor of more choices...but ones that won't steal my money would be nice. I'd have to look into it more, but on the surface it looks a bit sketchy.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#73  Edited By VisariLoyalist

that actually doesn't seem so legit because they aren't using kickstarter, that's their webpage. Seems like a scam to me.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#74  Edited By VisariLoyalist

update: I am also furiously scanning my pc for spyware that site was sketchy as hell! I feel violated!

OH SNAP THIS THREAD JUST BECAME LEGENDRY

MJAussie360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By MJAussie360

They posted on youtube that they were in the kickstarter program, which was false and debunked quickly. When they were shamed in the comment section, they changed the name from “Kickstarter” to “Crowdfunding”

Any comments questioning the console were removed, deleted and now he has disabled comments entirely. People had valid points, asking how it works etc. Definitely sceptical at best but then again, people need some constructive criticism sometimes.

Their last console, which barely even made it to market, wasn’t even a console at all. It was a overpriced, over hyped, glorified Linux Box. A friend of mine actually bought one and states that it was the worst thing to come out since the Atari Jaguar.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#76  Edited By Branthog

They just interviewed this guy on the latest episode of Dead Pixel Live for the better part of an hour and (having not looked at anything about the Oton before -- not even now) I can safely say that it is either a scam or it is an incredibly naive overshooting project along the lines of a five year old declaring that he's going to become superman.

He could not keep his story straight. He couldn't provide images of anything. He said there would be a video two weeks from now (but it would just be a video of him talking) and he couldn't even explain the most basic elements of the "automated game design" crap. All he would say is "we have a bunch of objects in a database that we pull out to make the pixels out of with various agguhrithms" and then bitch about how nobody will give them the benefit of the doubt. The guy didn't talk like someone even remotely familiar with development or even basic programming. He sounded like someone who doesn't know anything fronting like he knows something on a level worse than when you ask a Best Buy employee about the televisions he's selling.

He couldn't even keep it straight as to the background of the game. First, it's a product that is not vaporware, because they've been in development for over a full decade on it and have won awards and on and on. Then a few minutes later, he said that it's a tiny little project mostly on his own, with the support of a few friends and fans and you can trust him, because he was in the military.

It's really worth listening to, even though it's painful to hear him keep repeating the same bullshit for an hour.

http://www.deadpixellive.com/dplnews/1560-interview-with-oton-creator-12-13-12

The only thing that sucks about the interview is that the interviewer was far too kind, when he should have just called the guy out on his shit.

PS: As of today (or maybe after the interview, yesterday?) the site just says "OTON" and then "We would be back shortly!".

*snicker*

The most hilarious thing about all of it is that the guy seems to think he has people on the fence about this. It is so fucking transparent (either being a scam or just incredibly naive, if well-intentioned, as mentioned before) that he can't honestly think he's tricking anyone that he's talking to? I mean, if you had enough money that you could "have other ways to fund this even if the crowdfunding fails" and you have won awards and are so far along in the development (except when asked to provide examples of your product, in which case there's suddenly nothing done yet even after a deacde), then you could probably hire someone to speak on your behalf, right? I mean, I've had crack-heads trying to sell me magazines "for charity" at my doorstep that were more articulate and believable.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#77  Edited By DarthOrange
@ShaggE said:

Auto-generated games on the quality of those broken ROM hacks that fill all of the "100 GAMES IN 1 VIDEO GAMING SYSTEM" toys that you see in dollar stores, because this isn't a sci-fi fantasy land where games worth playing for more than 30 seconds can be made by an "AI"? Sign me the fuck up!

I used to have one of those. It had Power Rangers in Japanese which was really neat. It also had Popeye and Mappy.
Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Cold_Wolven

The last thing needed is a market flooded with knock off consoles, I'm just sticking to the the three main consoles that are going to get the most developer support.

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Icemo

Seeing the OUYA gameplay footage today made me remember this console again. So apparently at their homepage they have 10 backers with $455 pledged and 19 hours to go. They should learn math since 10 backers x $99 is $990.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#80  Edited By Dingofighter

I just noticed I had a tab open with their website, yes I have too many tabs open, and I saw that it said "1 day left" on their backer-thingy. Intrigued, I refreshed the page to see what it would say now that it was over, and apparently there is now "3 days left". Now, I wonder if they are just going to keep extending it forever...

Avatar image for deactivated-63e39f84edec3
deactivated-63e39f84edec3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JordanK85 said:

After seeing the OTON site I decided to check the html code to see what template they were using, if any, and I noticed an h1 element with the id of "lockitron_header". At first I thought Lockitron might be the name of a template or CMS but instead Google took me to https://lockitron.com/preorder. You'll notice the uncanny similarity in the pages. The credibility of this product just keeps increasing.

Look at their creditline : ©2012 EnGeniux. All rights reserved. Patents pending. Thanks to Lockitron for the framework. MIT License

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...I wonder if I should send Lockitron an email.....