Outspoken game editors receive shaftings

Avatar image for deactivated-5b45500a95f79
deactivated-5b45500a95f79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Everyone knows Scott Sharkey got canned end of last week.     He was the websites biggest drawn for hits and downloads.  He was the most outspken of the staff members, spoke his mind, blah blah blah.  Who cares about the details. 

Now flash back to when our Gerstmann got shit canned, he was the most out spoken, humor came from a different angle, sure, but the setting seems about the same.  Nothing but hush, in the shadows corporate bullshit.

These prick bosses don't fucking get it.  Or so it seems.  I can't pretend to know who this Sharkey guy is or what kind of person Gerstmann is, but fuck man.  What is with companies cutting off the feet.  

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By BraveToaster

Those lucky bastards. I wish I was being shafted ri..... wait a minute.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By grilledcheez
@Axxol said:
" Those lucky bastards. I wish I was being shafted ri..... wait a minute. "
: O
Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Warfare
@GrilledCheez01 said:

" @Axxol said:

: O "
No Vaseline.    
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I don't think Sharkey's situation is the same as Jef's at all.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By grilledcheez
@Warfare said:
" @GrilledCheez01 said:

" @Axxol said:

No Vaseline.     "
: O
jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jasta
@Kenobi:

So why did they do this?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Could have been due to the fact that Sharkey is a complete cockhead.

Just sayin'.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FluxWaveZ:     
Maybe my post is vague, ya.  But that's not really the point.  So there is a difference, Sharkey doesn't get along with upper management and they were looking to make cuts.  And Gerstmann was getting along with upper management and they wanted to get rid of him.  The case is still they they became nuisance, by all appearances.

@Jasta:

Nothing really revealed yet but it's been 4 or 5 days since he was booted, and from the way the podcasts were run they seemed to have close circles.
Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Cornman89

@GrilledCheez01 said:

" @Warfare said:

" @GrilledCheez01 said:

" @Axxol said:

No Vaseline.     "
: D
HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HypoXenophobia

Two events that are pretty much three years apart? Seems like you're trying to find a pattern for no reason, a guy got fired, no need to make "another" thread about the same ordeal. It sucks someone gets fired, but if it bothers you so much, don't visit website in question, and/or write a letter to said editor you feel for. Posting on a forum will not change what happened, neither will e-rage. 

Secondly, outspoken writers also have gotten hired to work for game developers. Outspoken writers have also decided to seek non-gaming jobs. It's not all doom and gloom.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HypoXenophobia said:
" Two events that are pretty much three years apart? Seems like you're trying to find a pattern for no reason, a guy got fired, no need to make "another" thread about the same ordeal. It sucks someone gets fired, but if it bothers you so much, don't visit website in question, and/or write a letter to said editor you feel for. Posting on a forum will not change what happened, neither will e-rage.   Secondly, outspoken writers also have gotten hired to work for game developers. Outspoken writers have also decided to seek non-gaming jobs. It's not all doom and gloom. "
Even though this is has a prick beginning, I do agree.  Saying that there is no similarities is going into a perceptual argument.  Your right though, its not all doom.
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By ch13696

Ok. Who's Scott Sharkey and what the hell happened?

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

who?
I'd like some more info on this...this is the first I've heard of him or him being fired...

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Nothing like a little drama to raise your profile...

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mylifeforAiur

You're reading too deep into the situation (or lack thereof). People get fired, no need for everything to be a conspiracy theory^^

cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By cnlmullen

"Outspoken" people often have difficult personalities too.  It's a quality that can get you to the top or get you fired depending on the situation.

But anyway, I think the primary reason the guy got axed were financial. 1up.com gets about as many hits as giantbomb.com (rough, rough guess according to alexa) and they have no subscription service. In fact, it might be Giantbomb itself that's eating away at 1ups market share. You just can't afford to support a big staff with that kind of money.

HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HypoXenophobia
@cnlmullen said:
" "Outspoken" people often have difficult personalities too.  It's a quality that can get you to the top or get you fired depending on the situation. But anyway, I think the primary reason the guy got axed were financial. 1up.com gets about as many hits as giantbomb.com (rough, rough guess according to alexa) and they have no subscription service. You just can't afford to support a big staff with that kind of money. "
They have no subscription, but last time I went 1up, they had a ridiculous amount of ads.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mylifeforAiur: Who's making a conspiracy.  He got fired by disapproving corporates.  I don't fucking like it.  There was no reason for it as he brought the most hits.  Where's my conspiracy? 

con·spir·a·cy

   [ k uhn- spir- uh-see ]   Show IPA
–noun,  plural  -cies.
the  act  of  conspiring.
an  evil,  unlawful,  treacherous,  or  surreptitious  plan formulated  in  secret  by  two  or  more  persons;  plot.
mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mylifeforAiur
@Kenobi said:
"  Nothing but hush, in the shadows corporate bullshit. These prick bosses don't fucking get it.  
My bad, I clearly misread this specific text. No, you don't get it, you know nothing. Mere speculation is annoying, if you're annoyed don't make ignorant comments like this. Unless you know Scott Sharkey personally, but I seriously doubt that.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BraveToaster

People get fired all the time. Writing a lengthy letter just proves that he's a sniveling little cunt.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By DystopiaX
@Kenobi: What I want to know is how you know there's no reason for it if you admitted that nothing has been released about the situation. Sometimes hits and popularity aren't everything if he did something unethical/risky/was overly disobedient. I think you should withhold judgement until we know what's going on.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Kenobi:   This isn't the site you're looking for.  Move along.
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By ArchScabby

Someone had a shark writing articles on video games for their site?  No wonder they fired him.  Sharks suck at games.  No thumbs.