Paradise Killer is the 19th selection of the UUGPGC! Completion date is 10/17/2022. Spoilers Open

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bigsocrates

EDIT:

Spoilers are open!

PRIOR MESSAGE:

Welcome to the Unsanctioned Unofficial Game Pass Game Club. Our 18th game is Paradise Killer. The target completion date is October 17, 2022.

We ask that until that date you use the forum software to mark any spoilers, either story based or mechanical, in the discussion below. Ideally the bulk of the discussion will occur after October 17, but if you want to comment before then you are welcome to so long as the spoilers are marked. We ask that if you leave a comment before that date you also come back to the thread after it to read other people’s comments and respond to them, though of course we cannot force you to do so.

All are welcome to participate regardless of whether you have stated a preference to or not and there is absolutely no commitment. You do not have to finish the game to participate but please let us know if you have not.

You can find out more about the Unsanctioned Unofficial Game Pass Game Club or suggest future games for it here.

What is Paradise Killer?

A mix between a 3D exploration based adventure game and a visual novel. Check out a trippy world during its apocalypse and try to solve a murder with a cast of outrageous and fascinating characters. It's great!

How long is Paradise Killer?

How long to beat lists it as 12 hours long.

No Caption Provided
bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is by far the longest game we've done so I really hope people participate. And if you don't finish in 2 weeks you can always come back after. This game is fantastic and gorgeous with great music and incredibly memorable characters. At least try it out!

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I’m definitely going to take a look at it, but not sure how much I’ll actually get to finish. I’m trying to squeeze in some GOTY candidates now because in early-mid November, I’ll be occupied with parenting another newborn full-time. However, I remember the first month having really weird openings for solid gaming blocs with my first kid, so maybe I’ll pick at Paradise Killer through the rest of 2022.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allthedinos: Wow. Caring more about a child than about video games OR the UUGPGC? I guess we know where YOUR priorities are!

Congratulations, I guess. But I just hope you don't end up teaching your child bad values like that there are things in this world more important than video games. She's never going to make it as an E-sports pro with that attitude!

Broshmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've already beaten this game, can I still share my views in the thread when it comes up?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@broshmosh: NO! And if you so much as try @zombiepie is going to call you a "Very silly boy" and flick your ears!

In all seriousness there are only 2 real rules. No unmarked spoilers before the completion date, and you have to run the risk of seeing spoilers after. Otherwise we are happy to hear from anyone no matter when or on what platform they played the game. If somebody didn't complete the game we ask that they say so to contextualize their contributions but this club is intended for maximum inclusiveness.

Broshmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: Thanks bigsoc :) I'll join in on this one since it means I don't have to modify my "now playing" and "next up" lists!

PK is one of my favourite games ever <3

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To all that are starting this, and haven’t had it spoiled, I’ll just say that you have no goddamn idea what you are in for. Loved this game and it’s wild setting so much!

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bigsocrates

It seems like there was a lot of interest in a spoilery discussion of this one so I'm going to hold back and listen to others for a bit before sharing my thoughts. Really looking forward to what you all have to say!

Broshmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if there was supposed to be another thread for discussion, if so I haven't seen it (probably a me problem), but let me know if there is and I'll crosspost this to that thread.

I love Paradise Killer. There are so many twists and turns, but I think what I really love about it is that it never tells you if you are outright right or wrong. It's a game about empathy, as even once you've discovered all the evidence, you can still implicate the two seemingly innocent people on the island. Or you can lump it all on the handy scapegoat one of the conspiracies provides, because why uphold a status quo if that status quo only benefits a few? You're given no true indication of what the right answer is, ultimately it's your right answer, and that means the decision can only be made after you've exhausted all possible empathy in your soul. Personally I played it as if I were Lady, rather than me, so everybody but one person made it out.

This game's presentation stuck with me so hard that, when discovering new oceanic planets in No Man's Sky, I can't help but name them Memories Of Paradise. I'm now nostalgic for a time and place that never existed, a hazy island hellscape where, were I to exist on it, I would be drained of blood and stacked in like sardines with my fellow victims. Yet something in this world, maybe the notion of endless suffering in endless paradise, really resonated with me as someone who tries to make the most out of their days.

Personally I didn't like that you had to have every item of evidence to conclusively pin the conspiracy perps. The first time I reached the trial, I thought I had everything, and knew I could implicate two specific denizens, but when it came to providing the evidence I came up short and they weren't convicted. Of course, I was able to just exact justice if I wanted to anyway, but it felt empty. I had to reload, hunt out the remaining pieces of evidence (they didn't appear with "item sight") and try again, which was successful. I get that it was trying to emulate some sort of real trial, but given the ability to execute whoever afterwards, it just seems weird to me.

On the topic of "item sight", this game would be almost unplayable without it. Even with it I had to look around for access to a certain few of those hearts. It's not really a criticism, more just noting that the moment-to-moment gameplay felt less like investigating and more like litter picking.

Thankfully the litter picking isn't the real meat and potatoes, the NPCs are. The conversations are rich and detailed, the voice acting is exceptional and the various relationships between everyone are much more intriguing to figure out than they are frustrating. Even now, years on, I am still thinking of a good few of the outfits from this game, and still thinking about the intricacies of how everything was pulled off.

Even now, I am still willingly putting on the OST to just vibe out. Some of it was even played at my wedding. Also just saying, The Sarcophagus BGM is so much more sinister than it ever needed to be. Every second spent in there felt like I was going to get jumped on by some demon.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@broshmosh: This is the right thread. Thanks for your thoughts, duder. I will try to have a more substantive response later today!