(Parody) IGN Files for Bankruptcy After Removing Movie and TV Show Content from Website

BRG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

Edited By BRG
No Caption Provided

“Video game” media outlet IGN filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy recently due to a sharp decline in viewership and ad revenue. In an article posted on their website, IGN stated the reason for their downward spiral is due to their discontinuation of movie and television show coverage just one month prior.

“Over the past few years, we at IGN have noticed our content shifting away from video games and instead towards movies, television, and really anything non-video game related. We hoped to get back to our gaming roots by purging all non-gaming media, but it seems as though we have made a grave error,” said current Editor-In-Chief Tina Amini in the article.

Amini also states in the article “We should’ve known better than to do what we did. The amount of viewership we get just off of Marvel content alone is insane. And don’t even get me started on the other Disney properties like Star Wars. Hell, half of our staff’s salary comes from streaming service articles alone and Funko Pop affiliate links keep a roof over my head.”

In hopes of getting revenue back on track, IGN announced their discontinuation of video game reviews. “People constantly complain about our game reviews, so what’s the point in even making them?” said Amini. She said the removal of game reviews is projected to drop their monthly review article count by about 4%.

While the removal of game reviews may drop the number of reviews down, Amini is hopeful about the outcome this new shift will have. “With more hands on-deck for movie reviews, we just may be able to finally make a movie review that isn’t god-awful and is essentially the opposite of what the movie actually is.”

IGN’s restructuring under Chapter 11 Bankruptcy is planned to last for about a year and the debt payment is said to be around $72 million.

In other related news, Gamespot saw a 50% decrease in monthly article counts after announcing their discontinuation of articles involving acquisitions, game delays, and game company malpractice.

(For legal reasons, this is a joke)

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

@brg said:
No Caption Provided

"Video game” media outlet IGN filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy recently due to a sharp decline in viewership and ad revenue. In an article posted on their website, IGN stated the reason for their downward spiral is due to their discontinuation of movie and television show coverage just one month prior.

“Over the past few years, we at IGN have noticed our content shifting away from video games and instead towards movies, television, and really anything non-video game related. We hoped to get back to our gaming routes

It's "roots" as in the foundation, not "routes" as in directions.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Dont give up the day job.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

huh?

BRG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ginormous76: Ah nuts, rookie mistake. Thanks for calling it out.

BRG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mach_go_go_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I don't get it.

BRG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mach_go_go_go: It's just a satire article about where corporate video game media outlets currently are.

infantpipoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

Haha, very funny. Did you model this after all that "pivot" bs in 2017?

BRG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@infantpipoc: I don't know anything about that. I just made this piece out of my slow-growing frustration with IGN and other websites becoming more pop culture and less video games. I'm fine with video game websites occasionally covering movies and other pop culture especially if they're tied to video games, but there is a limit. I can't entirely blame them though, and my piece doesn't entirely blame IGN as they are ultimately following where the clicks go.

infantpipoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

@brg: Back in 2017, several media outlets laid off their word editorial staff. Reason being "pivot to video".

To be fair, Imagine Game Network had been a hybrid of video game and entertainment outlet since the ancient days of 1999. Though the balance tipping towards the latter in recent years is pissing me off too. I mean they still don't have one single article about staff members' personal favorite games last year while articles about No Way Home just keep coming. Bit too much.

BRG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@infantpipoc: Interesting. I didn't know about that 2017 event, though it makes sense considering the general shift towards for journalism in general.