Patches and new release games

Createme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Createme

Recently, I have heard that Fable 2 and Little-Big Planet are having certain problems, I think Little-Big Planet is having a problem with the Z Axis. Anyway, the only way to combat this problem is to release a patch after it's initial release. Now, the main question is do you think a game should be finished properly before it's release (which could cause a delay), or do you think these actions of patching up a game after it's release acceptable?

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#2  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

As much as I'd like my games to all be released as polished and shiny as I'd please, the truth of the matter is that game development is a massive undertaking.  Games like Little Big Planet that push the envelope in terms of what has come before should be given a little leeway for bugs and problems cropping. up.  The Z-axis problem seems like a pretty big problem, but the fact that the company has acknowledged it and is working on a fast fix is commendable.  That being said, the problem is and should be addressed in reviews.  Fable II is shipping as a working game - it's just missing a major multiplayer draw that should be addressed in a quick manner.  That, to me, is an acceptable solution.  If anyone is to blame for that problem, it's in the company's mouthpiece.

However, when a game is essentially broken because of a glaring bug, that's a problem.  If Fable II was shipping with co-op multiplayer that halted a third of the way through the game, that would be a glaring error.  If using the Z-axis broke the game instead of just being difficult to use, that would be a problem.  See the difference?

Even a bad game can become fun with enough fixes.  I hated The Witcher upon release because it was buggy as all get-out (at least on my specs).  But after a few patches (especially the latest one), it's become an immensely enjoyable game.