Patrick

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Knave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Knave

I read a few comments that mention Patrick being an extreme dick to Will in a video. Does anyone know what the video in question is?

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Dany

Er...was it the Snes marathon?

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Jadeskye

"Why don't you come over here and shift some blocks around asshole!" - Patrick 'The man' Klepek.

(SNES anniversery stream)

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JasonR86

This thread can only go to great places.

Knave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Knave

LOL, what a dick. I like him though.

theodacourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By theodacourt

He got a bit angry when Jeff kept some knowledge about the rules of Fortune Street to himself to get a sneaky bonus in the recent TNT. I don't like the aggressive outbursts, GB competition always seems like cheeky fun and not that competitive and it seems out of character for the site when he does get angry. I felt he had beef with Brad for a long time because they always seemed to be aimed at him for a while.

The outbursts are very rare however and he's awesome all the way at all other times. His editorial articles are always fascinating and I'm glad he's here!

StalkingTurnip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By StalkingTurnip

Hey guys, I heard you should invest in District A.

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By EightBitShik

I have had nothing but complaints and even got a warning for "attacking" him but this just proves to be another reason for me to dislike him.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Barrock

@EightBitShik said:

I have had nothing but complaints and even got a warning for "attacking" him but this just proves to be another reason for me to dislike him.

Because he jokingly fucked with a friend of his? Don't be dumb.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Brendan

Patrick being a dick is hit or miss for me. For example, on the Trine 2 quick look he was hilarious. At the end of the Nolan North interview, it fell pretty flat because there was no joke leading up to the punchline. He just kind said `Yeah, this asshole!`out of the blue.

When he`s got a good comedic flow going he`s great, but I guess you have to remember that he hasn`t been on camera and on podcasts for as long as Ryan or Jeff or Brad. We`re used to listening to guys who are so comfortable with it it`s like a natural bodily function for them. He`ll only get better with time.

ComradeKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By ComradeKhan

He does love to troll

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By strainedeyes

He really likes to call people assholes.

Avatar image for thelonelypapaya
TheLonelyPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheLonelyPapaya

I feel like he crossed a line in the North video. It wasn't funny, just uncomfortable. North wasn't sure how to react, you could tell. I found myself wishing that it was just Ryan and North talking.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FluxWaveZ

...Yes.

Koobasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Koobasta

I may be wrong, and he could be best buddies with Nolan North. I highly doubt it though so:

That last part with the Nolan North interview was...uncomfortable. I don't think Nolan thought it was one ounce funny. "Wow, that just happened". Indeed, it just did and that was my exact thought. I mean, do it with your buddies, but the guy came in for an interview, and you call him an asshole? Smooth. I hope Nolan ignores his dumb ass in the future.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dany

Stop caring too much how Patrick acts.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deathstriker666

@Barrock said:

@EightBitShik said:

How do you know that they're friends? Pretty sure no one in the Whiskey offices knew Patrick before he joined Giant bomb. I don't hate Patrick, but he does seem like a dick. Ryan started to make fun of Will so Patrick starts making fun of him too.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By X19

You need a personality like that to hunt down news stories for the site. 

Being a jerk in an interview however doesn't work and that Nolan interview was painful to watch.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Barrock

@deathstriker666 said:

@Barrock said:

@EightBitShik said:

How do you know that they're friends? Pretty sure no one in the Whiskey offices knew Patrick before he joined Giant bomb. I don't hate Patrick, but he does seem like a dick. Ryan started to make fun of Will so Patrick starts making fun of him too.

They all knew Patrick before he started there. He's even been on the Podcast in the past.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Brad has known Patrick for a while, I'm pretty sure he's mentioned this more than once. Also, Will was making fun of Ryan losing during the Tetris thing, which is why Patrick said that. Goddamn, this community has come down with a raging case of asperger's.(Of course before Patrick came, people complained about Ryan and Brad...actually they still do. Vinny's the only one that's universally loved.)

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mordukai

@Brendan said:

Patrick being a dick is hit or miss for me. For example, on the Trine 2 quick look he was hilarious. At the end of the Nolan North interview, it fell pretty flat because there was no joke leading up to the punchline. He just kind said `Yeah, this asshole!`out of the blue.

When he`s got a good comedic flow going he`s great, but I guess you have to remember that he hasn`t been on camera and on podcasts for as long as Ryan or Jeff or Brad. We`re used to listening to guys who are so comfortable with it it`s like a natural bodily function for them. He`ll only get better with time.

Agreed. Because clearly he has learned nothing from all the times that he has been on G4 doing Feedback and the various interviews he's done on how to act in front of camera or people he's interviewing. I really wanted Nolan North to punch him in the nose and do the "Yeah, Kitty Got Wet" line from Uncharted 2. Seriously, even Ryan who's very well known for his asshole-ish behavior was kinda taken back.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Brendan

@Mordukai said:

@Brendan said:

Agreed. Because clearly he has learned nothing from all the times that he has been on G4 doing Feedback and the various interviews he's done on how to act in front of camera or people he's interviewing. I really wanted Nolan North to punch him in the nose and do the "Yeah, Kitty Got Wet" line from Uncharted 2. Seriously, even Ryan who's very well known for his asshole-ish behavior was kinda taken back.

So he made a mistake, and didn`t throw out a great line. I`m sure he was a little nervous. I think it`s more fair to cut him some slack for tripping up a little rather than getting up in arms over it.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dany

God, some of you acting like children when it comes to this shit.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#24  Edited By Claude

Poor Patrick, no one will let him play in any Reindeer games after this.

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TehBuLL

@Dallas_Raines said:

Brad has known Patrick for a while, I'm pretty sure he's mentioned this more than once. Also, Will was making fun of Ryan losing during the Tetris thing, which is why Patrick said that. Goddamn, this community has come down with a raging case of asperger's.(Of course before Patrick came, people complained about Ryan and Brad...actually they still do. Vinny's the only one that's universally loved.)

Give me one (1!) reason not to love Vinny and I will attempt to place him at #2 on the list. Good luck.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mordukai

@Brendan said:

@Mordukai said:

@Brendan said:

So he made a mistake, and didn`t throw out a great line. I`m sure he was a little nervous. I think it`s more fair to cut him some slack for tripping up a little rather than getting up in arms over it.

When you cut some slack to a person who just fucked up then he's doomed to repeat the same mistake. I really hope Ryan ripped him a new one. It's not like Giant Bomb is his first gig. Even though he's fairly young he still has years of experience doing this. Personally I don't feel like he's a very good edition to their crew. I think Dave should become more active as a public figure. One can only hope that he'll do what a lot of gaming journalists end up doing and managing the forums to some game developer.

I know it's kinda harsh words but that's how I feel about this subject and his inclusion to this web site.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BaneFireLord

...I think Patrick is pretty great...(except for the Nolan North-asshole thing, which was just awkward)

Spankmealotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Spankmealotus

It seems like most of the people bitching about Patrick are either girls or have never had friends. I see guys act like Patrick does with their buddies every day. It's just the way guys are. I feel like he has added a lot to the site and is one of my favorite additions since the site started up. Perhaps this is just a case of the internet being the internet and the only people speaking up are the ones that have an issue where the ones that are happy or content with the situation just keep quiet. I'm a Patrick supporter and I've never even heard of him until he joined the crew here at Giantbomb.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dany

@Mordukai: Listen to the bombcast, mostly that North 'curses like a motherfucker before the camera rolled indicating that he would be OK with some light jabs in the video.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Brendan

@Mordukai said:

@Brendan said:

@Mordukai said:

@Brendan said:

When you cut some slack to a person who just fucked up then he's doomed to repeat the same mistake. I really hope Ryan ripped him a new one. It's not like Giant Bomb is his first gig. Even though he's fairly young he still has years of experience doing this. Personally I don't feel like he's a very good edition to their crew. I think Dave should become more active as a public figure. One can only hope that he'll do what a lot of gaming journalists end up doing and managing the forums to some game developer.

I know it's kinda harsh words but that's how I feel about this subject and his inclusion to this web site.

Punching someone in the nose and ripping him a new one aren`t being reasonable. Patrick clearly isn`t a slacker or an idiot, and if he behaved in such a way that the rest of the guys thought he shouldn`t do it again, they would let him know. They`re clearly not going to do it on camera though, and they`re not going to just yell at him or send him to the corner because Patrick isn`t an idiot. He`s a fairly intelligent and self motivated person, and those are usually the kind of people you don`t have to worry about not disciplining enough.

Antiimony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Antiimony

I feel like everyone just makes fun of Will though. Like nobody takes it seriously, even Will. So people should just chill about "drama."

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RVonE

@JasonR86 said:

This thread can only go to great places.

You're prediction seems to hold true. So much internet drama!

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@Spankmealotus:

Just look at the way some react to Ryan's 'abuse' of the interns, they just can't handle any form of playful ribbing. It must bring up painful Nam-esque flashbacks of being bullied in elementary school

Sarkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Sarkhan
@AhmadMetallic said:

Patrick is way, waaaay too 'cool' for this website, I don't like his loud, laughing, clapping presence among the GB crew, he needs to go.

+1
Avatar image for deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3
deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

"Trolling" is the "Epic!" of 2011.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By phish09

LOL. Yeah, Patrick's got a bit of an ego, but it's pretty well deserved. He's a relatively smart dude for a games journalist.

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mackgyver

I agree that sometimes Patrick can be a bit much. He is the one who disrupts the flow more than anyone else. Give him time to blend in and I hope he does.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b911d3722cb7
deactivated-5b911d3722cb7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Spankmealotus: Patrick is an attention whore who talks out of his ass a lot. I personally think he adds nothing of worth to this site. I don't hate him, I just find him annoying and have found him annoying even back in his 1up days.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By donchipotle

What did he say in the Nolan North video. I was too busy being lost in North's eyes.

UncleClassy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By UncleClassy

INTERNET IS SERIOUS BUSINESS. FUUUUUUUUUU-

boboblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By boboblaw

Patricks fine. You guys are overeacting.

Most likely the real reason you guys don't like patrick is because hes a new addition to the "crew". Face it, thats all there is to it, you just don't like how theres someone else in videos/podcasts other then the others.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By laserbolts

Ryan was a bit of a dick during the interview as well. Who starts flipping through a book while the person they are interviewing is answering a question? Nolan north had to keep looking over at patrick staring at him while answering a question since Ryan clearly wasn't interested. Shame that that's the interview they had with him.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#43  Edited By Little_Socrates

I even think the "asshole" thing is okay. Mr. North seemed unfazed; they'd already established a nature of ribbing each other, if with nothing else than with his "Adults are talking" joke.

Patrick fits in really nicely. I'm also stoked to see his top 10 list, as I feel like I know less about it than most of our other gentlemen.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Claude
@DonChipotle said:

What did he say in the Nolan North video. I was too busy being lost in North's eyes.

He had one good question. He rambled a few times. He interrupted a couple of times. He actually repeated Nolan North after asking him a question and then trailed off while he was talking. And then he said something like "not this asshole" to Nolan North, granted, he was joking. He just seemed rather shell shocked. Not to mention the sweat pouring off of Ryan. It was pretty damn funny.
Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@Claude:

Yeah, who wouldn't be star struck while in the presence of' 'The Great One'.(Not to mention the interview was super last minute and out of the blue, they didn't exactly have time to prepare.)

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Claude
@Dallas_Raines said:

@Claude:

Yeah, who wouldn't be star struck while in the presence of' 'The Great One'.

I guess. I've never been in that situation. It was fun though. I just like giving the crew shit. Oh and Patrick was being a dick griefing Brad in that Trine 2 Quick Look.
Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Akyho

@Barrock said:

@EightBitShik said:

Because If i did the same to you. I wouldnt get a warning? Its called Attacking and Harassment. There is laws against it, rule of thumb keep it to yourself.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laserbolts said:

Ryan was a bit of a dick during the interview as well. Who starts flipping through a book while the person they are interviewing is answering a question? Nolan north had to keep looking over at patrick staring at him while answering a question since Ryan clearly wasn't interested. Shame that that's the interview they had with him.

I just thought it looked like Ryan was finding parts in the book to hold up for the cameras while he was talking.

Patrick's never been a big source of annoyance before and I could easily brush off the "harsh language" as friendly ribbing, but the constant interrupting and tries to overshadow the person being interviewed (THE FOCUS OF THE WHOLE DAMN FEATURE) was poor form at best.

Being "starstruck" or "inexperienced" is no excuse for that. Bad behaviour is supposed to be called out lest it be repeated.

I almost feel bad for Patrick. First he shits the bed with the whole Arkham World article and now this.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By stonyman65

When he first came to GB I didn't really have a problem with him, but the more I see/hear him the more I dislike him. It's getting to the point where I won't even watch a video or listen to something when he is on it. It's a shame because I really love everyone else who works for Whiskey.

There is just something about him that annoys me. I can't really put my finger on it, but I just tend to roll my eyes a bit whenever he does something. Maybe it's because he is trying too hard to be funny, or comes off as a bit of an asshole.. I don't know.

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By EightBitShik

@Akyho: It's called this I said "Patrick is the only thing I do not like about the ER's." and then someone got pissy. The warning says it's an attack but Patrick in his reviews/articles/podcasts talks about how he thinks "X" is dumb. So I said I am allowed to say what I want about Patrick as long as it's classy now if I called him a bitch I would understand.