Patrick Appreciation Thread

fivehorizons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#651  Edited By fivehorizons

Quite the vacation. I wish my company was this generous with bereavement leave.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#652  Edited By LiquidSwords

@Cheesebob said:

any word on when he may come back?

According to Jeff, in 2 weeks

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#653  Edited By jerseyscum

@Slag said:

@ThePickle said:

Patrick just posted this: http://pushthebutton.tumblr.com/post/28427688961/honesty. I recommend all the haters read it.

Jesus, people can be real self-centered pieces of crap sometimes. Whether you like or don't like him that was a horribly uncalled for thing to say to anybody. The way some of this community is reacting to Patrick's woes of late is embarrassing.

Props to Patrick for handling it with class.

@crusader8463

I respect Pat as a person too much to lie just because he is going through hard times here

I doubt anyone is advocating lieing, but there is such a thing as discretion. Does what you just said about his value to the site have to be said right now or can it wait till later?

Inner monologue dude, sometimes the right thing to do is keep your opinion to yourself until a more appropriate time. You are not showing him "respect" to pick now as a time to critique his perceived value to Giant Bomb in your opinion.

He handled that in a way that I never could. I really hate the Internet so much sometimes.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#654  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@fivehorizons said:

Quite the vacation. I wish my company was this generous with bereavement leave.

I think immediate family it's typically 6 weeks, in many places.

Sorry to hear about this for Patrick.
cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#655  Edited By cheesebob

@LiquidSwords: Just like to say, you have the greatest name and DP combination in Giant Bomb.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#656  Edited By LiquidSwords

@Cheesebob said:

@LiquidSwords: Just like to say, you have the greatest name and DP combination in Giant Bomb.

Thanks!

blacklab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#657  Edited By blacklab

@crusader8463 said:

I respect Pat as a person too much to lie just because he is going through hard times here. I have been enjoying the video content on the site a lot more since Pat has been away as I feel that he just doesn't have the right chemistry with the staff to make the QL's that he is a part of entertaining to me. I like Patrick and feel that he has good points to make, but I don't want him to be in almost every one of the videos they do on the site like he was before he left. I think he's best in written form and on podcasts from time to time to debate topics, but something about him just gets to me after a while and makes me not able to enjoy the content on GB when he's in everything. Back when he was on G4 I though he did an awesome job as being one of the people on Feedback and that weekly show felt like it was the right amount for me as it was mostly just debating whatever was in the headlines that week.

Anyway, I just wanted to say as well Patrick that I too know the loss of a parent that means the world to you and how soul crushing it can all be. My mom died shortly after my 19th birthday while I was in my second year of college and some 7 years later it's still affecting my life. She was not just my mother, but my best and only friend all of my life. We did everything together and she was the one that was always there to support and prop me up in life no matter how hard I tried to push back or give up. It's going to be rough getting on with life and the worst parts will be those times you see something funny or see something that you always did together and turn around to joke and realize they are not there any more.

Over time those moments will fade, and the fact that you will still have days in your life years from now when you will stop and say to yourself "Dad said this so I should..." means that he was a good parent and someone that raised a good kid for you to have those lasting life lessons ingrained in you.

Looking forward to seeing you back on the podcast. Best of luck with everything.

This is absolutely not the correct forum for this sort of comment. Grow up.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#658  Edited By crusader8463

@blacklab said:

@crusader8463 said:

I respect Pat as a person too much to lie just because he is going through hard times here. I have been enjoying the video content on the site a lot more since Pat has been away as I feel that he just doesn't have the right chemistry with the staff to make the QL's that he is a part of entertaining to me. I like Patrick and feel that he has good points to make, but I don't want him to be in almost every one of the videos they do on the site like he was before he left. I think he's best in written form and on podcasts from time to time to debate topics, but something about him just gets to me after a while and makes me not able to enjoy the content on GB when he's in everything. Back when he was on G4 I though he did an awesome job as being one of the people on Feedback and that weekly show felt like it was the right amount for me as it was mostly just debating whatever was in the headlines that week.

Anyway, I just wanted to say as well Patrick that I too know the loss of a parent that means the world to you and how soul crushing it can all be. My mom died shortly after my 19th birthday while I was in my second year of college and some 7 years later it's still affecting my life. She was not just my mother, but my best and only friend all of my life. We did everything together and she was the one that was always there to support and prop me up in life no matter how hard I tried to push back or give up. It's going to be rough getting on with life and the worst parts will be those times you see something funny or see something that you always did together and turn around to joke and realize they are not there any more.

Over time those moments will fade, and the fact that you will still have days in your life years from now when you will stop and say to yourself "Dad said this so I should..." means that he was a good parent and someone that raised a good kid for you to have those lasting life lessons ingrained in you.

Looking forward to seeing you back on the podcast. Best of luck with everything.

This is absolutely not the correct forum for this sort of comment. Grow up.

I disagree. Now you too can grow up.

Foggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#659  Edited By Foggen

I was a casual 1Up reader when Patrick first appeared, and for whatever reason he rubbed me the wrong way. Something in tone and grammar annoyed me and I came to the conclusion that he didn't know what he was doing, to the point that I started openly heckling him in the comments. I stopped paying attention to that site and he went elsewhere, and as the years went by I kept hearing about stories broken and investigations done by Patrick Klepek. I shrugged it off, noting from the periphery that Patrick had the respect of virtually everyone in the games medial. When he eventually came to Giant Bomb I accepted it with some ambivalence, as he was the first editor I didn't already appreciate from years of Gamespot. Then the posts came rolling in and I was astonished by the quality of his work. Actual stories were being broken, chased down. Comments were sought, and posted. Major issues were investigated and exposed. All of a sudden it was very clear to me that Patrick Klepek was the best (if not only) real Video Game Journalist in the business. Between that and his good rapport with the existing crew there could have been no better addition to Giant Bomb.

Patrick,

Thanks for everything you do. Please keep it up. I'm sorry I called you illiterate.

-Foggen

P.S. It's weird and awesome that you and Cliffy B. were honeymooning in Hawaii at virtually the same time.

madbroseph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#660  Edited By madbroseph

This is my first time ever posting on a Giantbomb thread after being a fan since the beginning and Patrick is the reason. The reason I have ever thought possible to study Game Theory at my college is because of Patrick on the 1UP website. I was a huge fan of the site and when Patrick showed up it gave me hope as a young aspiring game journalist that there is someone out there that shared my beliefs. In his articles and in his appearances on the 1UP Show I saw someone like me. And when I first heard he was joining my favorite website (this one right here) I knew he was perfect for the crew.

This event with Patrick happened around the same time as when my father was getting married again and I vowed to become as close to my father as it seems that Patrick Klepek was to his own father. He also taught me that I need pursue my dream more than ever after seeing his devotion.

You are an inspiration to all young aspiring game journalists Patrick Klepek. I hope you realize that.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#661  Edited By cooljammer00

As far as I'm concerned, Patrick Klepek is the real father of games journalism. It is not, nor has it ever been, Justin McElroy.

Volgin13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#662  Edited By Volgin13

It's tough to lose a father. I lost mine at the age of seven. The day he died he had promised to take me hunting the next day. Sorry for your loss.

zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 18

#663  Edited By zor

I know its late, but i just wanted to express my condolences to Patrick. I don't know what to say, so i'll leave it at that before i say something dumb.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cdb69f34ac28
deactivated-5cdb69f34ac28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Sorry for your loss Tricky. It's tough to lose a father, no matter how old or young you are.

veko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#665  Edited By veko

I hid from this thread, because I lost my father back in April. He was 52. It isn't fun to lose time so suddenly and with so much more you wish you could have said and done with them. I feel your pain.

Point is, you're entertaining, Patrick. Keep up the good work.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad
deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veko said:

I hid from this thread, because I lost my father back in April. He was 52. It isn't fun to lose time so suddenly and with so much more you wish you could have said and done with them. I feel your pain.

Point is, you're entertaining, Patrick. Keep up the good work.

My condolences to both you and Patrick.

orangesponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

User Lists: 18

#667  Edited By orangesponge

Sorry for the late reply, or post.

Sorry for your loss, Patrick. My thoughts are with you and your family. Also congratulations on getting married.

bayushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#668  Edited By bayushi

Sorry for your loss Patrick.

I am very happy for you and your recent nuptials. Many happy returns sir!

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

With Patrick on vacation this week and things a little dry content-wise, I realised just how much of the site's best stuff comes from him. Given the amount of abuse he tends to get on social media, I felt like pointing out just how much he is still appreciated.