• 60 results
skyline7284

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By skyline7284

So 2 of my most beloved franchises seem to be dead, or at least under deep cover.  There hasn't been a PROPER Simcity game released in over 8 YEARS! and at this point it's becoming the same with Roller Coaster tycoon.  These 2 franchises were some of the first games i played, and not seeing any new games deeply saddens me.  I know there have been rumblings of Roller Coaster Tycoon 4 being in the works, but I've heard absolutely nothing about Simcity.  All Maxis is working on currently is Darkspore, which ships in about a month... so maybe a Simcity successor will finally be on its way? 

Are there any other franchises that have also gone deep undercover that you miss greatly? (Besides Half-Life)

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

@skyline7284: Because so many other games have come out in the simulation genre as to make both franchises null and void. See Cities XL and Thrillville. As for franchises that I miss, I really miss Elite Force.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic

yeah i remember playing Rollercoaster Tycoon with my cousin like ages ago... good fun. hopefully the new one will be as good 

I'd say.. Max Payne has been teased for two-three years and its still getting pushed back year after year by games like RDR, LA Noire and next year's Agent... so thats a PC franchise i LOVED for years and has been dead and/or delayed for years.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Azteck

Oh man, I loved Roller Coaster Tycoon. That was such a fantastic game.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

I wish they would make another Freedom Force, I love those games.

noextralife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By noextralife

Looking through my many shelves of pc games, man there so many that have gone AWOL for one reason or another 

The No One Lives Forever series, the Hidden and Dangerous series, the Freedom Force series, Project IGI, the Z series of rts games, ground control, the Vampire series and as mentioned the Elite Force series (star trek games in general, bridge commander and starfleet command)

It wouldn't hurt to see another return for the Commandos series and the Homeworld series as well.

PaulRevere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By PaulRevere

Myst.

It branched out to a bunch of consoles and then had that online game. It just totally lost direction. Myst and Riven were really solid and intense games but then it's like they just lost it.

nelander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By nelander

Through technically not a franchise as there was only one game released, I wish they made a sequel to Planescape, I would also like to see another jagged alliance game and a proper xcom release.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By MarkWahlberg
@nosiwohL said:

" Myst.  It branched out to a bunch of consoles and then had that online game. It just totally lost direction. Myst and Riven were really solid and intense games but then it's like they just lost it. "

I dunno if that counts as 'missing'. They were still PC based, even if they were ported to consoles, and the series still continued. I haven't played it, but I was under the impression that Myst V was a conclusion to the story, not just the last one they made.  I don't think they 'lost it', either. Uru was pretty cool.
fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#10  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

- Wing Commander (space combat sim - last 'real' release was Wing Commander Prophecy back in 1997, there was also a poorly recieved 1999 movie and a very poorly recieved Xbox Arcade game - using none of the gameplay mechanics from the main games - in 2005 or so) 
- Descent (360DOF FPS/space combat sim - the last official Descent game, Descent 3, was released in 1999. The Freespace series was a loosely related spinoff, last visited in 2001. The original Red Faction, also 2001, was originally planned to be a Descent game) 
- Krush Kill And Destroy/KKND (RTS - KKnD 2 was released in 1998, the developers were Beam Software and Krome, the latter which closed down last year, but whose rights should still be with Atari) 
- Unreal (FPS - that is, the singleplayer focused games that predated Unreal Tournament. Unreal II: Awakening was released in 2004, since then I've heard nothing) 
- Elite/Frontier (space trading sim - pretty much the original trading/privateer sim, that laid the basic foundation for games like Freelancer, EVE Online and Darkstar One. The last official game was released in 1993, but the creator, David Braben of Frontier productions has claimed to have been working on a new game in the series for the last decade or so) 
- Hexen/Heretic (fantasy FPS/action RPG, the games that started Raven software's reign as one of the major FPS developers, it's unclear if they are separate franchises or not, as Hexen seemed to be a sequel to Heretic, but both of them got numbered sequels later on - Hexen II, based on the Quake engine and simple Diablo style RPG mechanics, was released in 1996, and Heretic II, based on the Quake II engine using third person shooter/"character action" mechanics was released in 1998). 
- Commander Keen (side scrolling platformer, Id Software's first successful franchise. New games have been rumored for mobile platforms and such for years, but as far as I know nothing has materialized except a remake for the first couple of games for the GBA back in 2001)  
- Wizardry (first person turn based RPG/dungeon crawler - some of the first computer RPG's, and in first person perspective no less, became incredibly popular in Japan and inspired the active time battle system in Final Fantasy. The last western release was Wizardry 8 in 2001, the franchise still lives on in Japan were spin-off titles are made every year, the only one which has been brought over to the west was Wizardry: Tale of the forsaken land, also in 2001)

There are lots more, but I should probably stop before this post becomes too much of a wall of text for the kids of today.
fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By fisk0  Moderator
@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:
" @skyline7284: Because so many other games have come out in the simulation genre as to make both franchises null and void. See Cities XL and Thrillville. As for franchises that I miss, I really miss Elite Force. "

Elite Force, do you mean the Star Trek license FPS games by Raven and Ritual Software? I loved the first, but never managed to find Elite Force II legally anywhere.
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#12  Edited By BeachThunder

I'll order a System Shock and a side of NOLF.

You can hold the Commander Keen though; I've already had 6, uh, maybe 7.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jimbo

Half-Life.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fisk0  Moderator
@BeachThunder said:
"I'll order a System Shock and a side of NOLF.  You can hold the Commander Keen though; I've already had 6, uh, maybe 7. "

While I wouldn't say no to more System Shock games, I'm not in that dire need of them anymore, since I think both Bioshock and Dead Space do a fairly good job at scratching those itches. 
Space shooters, traditional 2D RTSes and fantasy FPSes on the other hand ..
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#15  Edited By BeachThunder
@fisk0 said:
" @BeachThunder said:
"I'll order a System Shock and a side of NOLF.  You can hold the Commander Keen though; I've already had 6, uh, maybe 7. "
While I wouldn't say no to more System Shock games, I'm not in that dire need of them anymore, since I think both Bioshock and Dead Space do a fairly good job at scratching those itches. "
Well, as much as I like Dead Space, it still comes off as a cheap knock off of SS2 (*flameshield* D:) and Bioshock was amazing, but the gameplay wasn't exactly the same; it would be cool to have another horror FPSRPG. Also, SS2 was very much left open for a sequel.
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Akeldama

Half Life has been MIA coming up on 4 years now.

strangone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By strangone

Freespace.

empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By empfeix
@Akeldama said:
" Half Life has been MIA coming up on 4 years now. "
I second that.  Although I think we all know that a Half Life 3 is almost a certainty.  Unfinished storyline + a proven franchise = success.
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GreggD
@NoExtraLife: NOLF, I concur. I never beat either of the first two, but I loved what I did play of them. Excellent series.
fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By fisk0  Moderator
@BeachThunder said:
" @fisk0 said:
" @BeachThunder said:
While I wouldn't say no to more System Shock games, I'm not in that dire need of them anymore, since I think both Bioshock and Dead Space do a fairly good job at scratching those itches. "
Well, as much as I like Dead Space, it still comes off as a cheap knock off of SS2 (*flameshield* D:) and Bioshock was amazing, but the gameplay wasn't exactly the same; it would be cool to have another horror FPSRPG. Also, SS2 was very much left open for a sequel. "

As I've understood it, Dead Space was originally planned to be System Shock 3, but somewhere in the development process that idea was scrapped and it became a new IP instead, but a lot of similarities still remain.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Rowr

HOMEWORLD

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By penguindust
MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By MistaSparkle

I came on here to say Roller Coaster and Zoo Tycoon, but you already did...What about Jazz Jackrabbit and Commander Keen?

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By carlthenimrod

Theme Hospital and where the hell is a new traditional Sim City. Gawd Darnit!

Aljosa15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Aljosa15

Vampire: The Masquerade. :(

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By inkerman

Hitman has been MIA for awhile, although number five is set for release at the end of this year.

Oh yeah, and Vampire: Masquerade, I only ever played Bloodlines, but it was awesome.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By fisk0  Moderator
@Rowr said:
" HOMEWORLD "
Yeah, those games were epic, and pretty much the only 3D RTSes that were in 3D, not just 2D gameplay with strange zoom levels and a terrible rotating camera.
wrathofconn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By wrathofconn

I'd be pretty down with a new Alpha Centauri game.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By fisk0  Moderator
@wrathofconn said:
" I'd be pretty down with a new Alpha Centauri game. "
Oh yes.
JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JerichoBlyth

I'm really starting to wonder if Hitman will ever return under Square Enix's idiocy.

Another few PC franchises I would like to see the likes of again are; 2D Broken Sword games, Star Trek Armada (believe it or not, I liked the first two), Star Wars Rebel Assault, LINKS Golf, Sim City, Theme Hospital and Z!!!

LightRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By LightRain

Total Annihilation

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#32  Edited By citizenkane

When I first read the thread, title I immediately thought of Roller Coaster Tycoon and SimCity.

Great minds think alike.

logicfracture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By logicfracture

NOLF and Age of Empires. Sadly Ensemble Studios no longer exists for AoE though.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By Sambambo

Came in to say Rollercoaster Tycoon. Such a great game.

Or just any non crazy super micro management tycoon game.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TehFlan

It's not PC, but a proper Banjo Kazooie game would be great.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By monetarydread
   @logicfracture: 

Age of Empires Online

It isn't made by Ensemble in name, yet the people who made AOE online worked at Ensemble back in the day.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Every single one of them, for now the ones that pretend to remain are consolized pieces of shit.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ryanwho

I just want another Age of Mythology and Sacrifice. I'd love for a new Empire Earth to come out that's not awful.
bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By bybeach
@fisk0 said:
"@BeachThunder said:
" @fisk0 said:
" @BeachThunder said:
Well, as much as I like Dead Space, it still comes off as a cheap knock off of SS2 (*flameshield* D:) and Bioshock was amazing, but the gameplay wasn't exactly the same; it would be cool to have another horror FPSRPG. Also, SS2 was very much left open for a sequel. "
As I've understood it, Dead Space was originally planned to be System Shock 3, but somewhere in the development process that idea was scrapped and it became a new IP instead, but a lot of similarities still remain. "

wow. I saw the SS 2 influences, but of course no shodan and such. But it was this much, that DS1 was suppossed to be a near sequel.  

Well I'll be damned....doesn't have to be true, but it kind of fits.
shamroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By shamroll

I really want to see the Freespace series come back.  I'm desperate for a good space fighter sim.  I even bought a game called Project Freedom on steam in an attempt to find something to fill that void. 

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ch13696

I'm surprised no one mentioned Black & White. Now that was a fantastic game from Lionhead. It's a shame that were bought up by Microsoft and now only make games for the Xbox 360. Well, I guess I should look for Black & White 2 somewhere on the internet. Anyone know of any download services that is currently selling it?

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ch13696
@fisk0 said:
"- Descent (360DOF FPS/space combat sim - the last official Descent game, Descent 3, was released in 1999. The Freespace series was a loosely related spinoff, last visited in 2001. The original Red Faction, also 2001, was originally planned to be a Descent game)  "
I was lucky to find all the Descent's in a Salvation Army about a month ago. They all came with strategy guides and they're in perfect condition.
KimChi4U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By KimChi4U

I would die for a remake of Star Control 2. Sure, it had a sequel, but SC3 was god-awful. 

Star Control 2 was doing dialogue trees long before Mass Effect and the mining in that game was way better.

p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By p_p_o_d

I would kill for a sequel to Freelancer

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Gargantuan

Mechwarrior and Alpha Centauri

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By shirogane
@Gargantuan said:
"Mechwarrior and Alpha Centauri "

They're making a Mechwarrior 5, go youtube the trailers, it looks pretty damn awesome. 
I think it's 5...
Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Gargantuan
@Shirogane said:
" @Gargantuan said:
"Mechwarrior and Alpha Centauri "
They're making a Mechwarrior 5, go youtube the trailers, it looks pretty damn awesome. I think it's 5... "
I've see a trailer a couple of months ago, looked very cool. I just have the feeling that it'll be cancelled. It has no official release date and there's very little info about it. :(
Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@ch13696 said:
" I'm surprised no one mentioned Black & White. Now that was a fantastic game from Lionhead. It's a shame that were bought up by Microsoft and now only make games for the Xbox 360. Well, I guess I should look for Black & White 2 somewhere on the internet. Anyone know of any download services that is currently selling it? "
This is a game I'd really like to see made for Kinect.  A sequel could be amazing and it's a game that could really benefit from the Kinect control method, rather than simply have it as a gimmicky add on.  (Since all of the controls in B&W were gesture based).  I also think it would help give the feeling that you really are a god above your little cities..  That and Viva Pinata would sell Kinect for me.
Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Brians

Alpha Centauri

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers