PC game I cant remember the name of

cmoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hi guys,

First time posting. Im looking for help, if anyone can. For years I've been trying to remember a PC game I played as

a child during the late 90's/early 2000's. I cant remember much of the gameplay but I think it was a 2d game, I dont know if they made more than just the one game but the one I played was set in a huge house/mansion, you would move your character (who i think was either an animal or human) through the different rooms in the house and search for clues/puzzles to complete objectives? It was quite a colourful game if I remember correctly, I think the house was haunted as well, if you went into certain rooms there would be ghosts but it wasnt a scary game. The room I remember most was the kitchen, it had a dumb waiter that you could use to get to different rooms/floors. I think the tiles on the floor where black and white?. Bit of a stretch but if anyone has any idea what this possibly could be called, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Gaidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@gaidal: Were there Ghosts in Maniac Mansion that I’m forgetting? Maybe if Ted killed you, but I don’t think so.

The dumbwaiter doesn’t sound right either...

By the way, Maniac Mansion is amazing...

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By nutter

Maybe a long-shot, as this was more like 2013 and it was only one slice of the game, but this sounds a little like the mansion level in The Cave:

https://www.ign.com/wikis/the-cave/Mansion

I remember it being not scary, but having a Tim Burton-esque creepiness to it...

The bathroom had a tile floor, the kitchen had a usable dumbwaiter, and the twins could make ghosts of themselves to solve puzzles...

Gaidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter: well it was a haunted house per se but yeah. Looks like the dumbwaiter was an unused idea so probably not MM actually: http://www.maniacmansionfan.50webs.com/history.html

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaidal: Hey, my guess is The Cave, another Ron Gilbert joint.

While we’re on the subject, Thimbleweed Park has a mansion-esque hotel with ghosts (not sure about tile floors or dumbwaiters, though).

Can the answer just be Ron Gilbert, at this point?

I also wouldn’t be shocked if this were something closer to an Alone in the Dark game.

cmoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cmoore

@gaidal: @nutter: unfortunately it wasnt the cave or maniac mansion. The graphics where better than the maniac mansions and more cartoony than 2-bit. The cave is far too recent I've got a feeling it was more 1998-2002/3.

Gaidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cmoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaidal: very very similar! Same sort of style of play, cartoony graphics, the way you would stand in the middle of a room and click stuff but it was a different game! Thank you though, that's the closest representation I've seen

cmoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaidal: I have a feeling it was more of a education and entertainment game

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cmoore: Does Fatty Bear want his nines?

Kirtkurri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cmoore: it's definitely Hugo's House of Horrors