People hate patrick?

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I would say I love Patrick now, he really grew as an Internet personality after he moved to Chicago. Don't forget that the haters are more outspoken. There are reasons why I didn't like Patrick as much when he first joined, but it definitely grew on me.

Btw, the popularity contest at PAX probably ended the best way possible. Everyone loves Brad, we all know it, seriously. Him ending up last at least saved Patrick and Alex from the spot. I think both of them are awesome, and I really hate to even think of playing favorites.

Brad isn't the hero we want, he is the hero we need.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Patrick can certainly get on my nerves at times, I actually used to like him more. Over the last year or so Patrick's focus has shifted to a lot more social issues and dramas that I simply have no interest in or patience for, and I can get a little frustrated seeing that stuff on the site.

I also feel Patrick is a little too high on indie stuff? He certainly covers some interesting games, but personally I often feel he praises some of those games a little too highly for my taste.

Aaaand, one last complaint would be that his regular streams have been of games that I just haven't wanted to watch with such regularity over such an extended period. Spelunky is a fantastic game, for instance, but I very quickly tired of seeing Spelunkin' with Scoops. I'd love to see Patrick dedicate one of these features to a game with a story or something to keep things interesting, sort of like a mini-endurance run or something.

I've always loved Patrick's Spookin' feature, though, particularly when I can tune in live, so I'm looking forward to that tomorrow. Also, when Patrick was in the San Francisco office, his quick looks with Vinny were totally some of my favourite videos being made.

Party

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I probably watch Patrick content on the site the least of any other content, but that isn't really his fault... I just don't find a single dude playing and talking about a video game entertaining, especially when I've been spoiled by all these three man quick looks we've had lately.

In terms of his authorship, I think some of his articles are interesting even if I don't agree with all his viewpoints. He has come a long way as a writer and still has a long way to go. I don't necessarily agree with a lot of people thinking that the "hate" for Patrick stems purely from people not agreeing with him. As I said, I don't necessarily always see eye-to-eye with him but I can still respect a lot of what he does. I could definitely see some of the dissatisfaction coming from his interactions with the rest of the crew and his talking style. As others have said, I do feel that he often interrupts the other guys in conversations and that his points seem a little redundant. This is to be expected, as the others have had years of experience doing this sort of thing and Patrick is still relatively new. While Patrick might be a better fit over at a site like Polygon, I think he brings an interesting younger perspective to GiantBomb that we wouldn't have otherwise.

MasterBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 2

@carryboy: No way, he is my least favorite of the bombcast but he is still great. I think it's mostly that Jeff and Vinny are just so much more involved in the chat and add more humor, it's easy to pick them over Brad. Wouldn't be as good of a podcast without him though.

MasterBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

@party said:

I probably watch Patrick content on the site the least of any other content, but that isn't really his fault... I just don't find a single dude playing and talking about a video game entertaining, especially when I've been spoiled by all these three man quick looks we've had lately.

I'd agree with that, I have only watched a few of his videos. I would say that about any of them though, alone they would be a little boring but together are great. The Cry of Fear QL with him and Vinny was great.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yep, it just comes down to people not liking change, I was defending Patrick in a Youtube thread the other day, guy just said "Fuck Patrick" and it wasn't even a Patrick centered video, so I found it extra offensive and aggressive.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#58  Edited By veektarius

I don't hate Patrick, but I barely ever agree with him. First off, he never raises a critical lens to the controversial issues he raises. He presents them at face value and gives no voice to those who contradict those points (with the exception of the interviews with self-professed trolls, who only serve to diminish the detractors). Second, I play almost none of the same games as him and rarely feel the same about those few games we do both finish. Third, what games he plays as site features have only interested me once. I really did enjoy watching Spelunky and I enjoy when he has Dave Lang around as well.

I accept that he contributes content that people on the site like and now that he's in Chicago, I can easily separate his stuff from what I want to view. For awhile it bothered me that he was taking up what were clearly limited resources as far as staffing is concerned, but since they've apparently got the funding to make more hires now, that is no longer any concern of mine and people can have as much Patrick as they want.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#59  Edited By bacongames

I think as usual, and it's not unexpected, a thread like this often attracts people who feel inclined to say their piece about why they don't like Patrick rather than attract all people who enjoy his work. Which I think in general does a disservice to the overall distribution of how people feel about him on the site. Patrick is an undeniable member of this site and over the course of his features, discussions, interactions with the community good and bad, he's earned a place at Giant Bomb, petty little things aside. And for what it's worth every staff member who's had major site exposure has had little things here and there on occasion that irk me so in that sense Patrick is pretty much exactly in line with the rest. For me personally I think he does great work and even stuff that doesn't necessarily do it for me, or I disagree with, I welcome it on the site.

Knowing my attachment to GB though, it is a ton of tightly packed investment and dedication to these guys that is vulnerable any time a new person comes into the fold. So in that sense I guess I get where a few people are coming from with Patrick but I can say I and many others are definitely grateful that GB is batting 1000 so far.

But then again some people keep giving Alex shit anytime he's on anything so what do I know. I love 'em all because they're great dudes and here's some colon dees internet :D :D :D :D :D :D.

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By erhard

It's not about not liking change. None of his video content interests me and his brand of simultaneously self‐pitying and self‐righteous writing makes me groan. He comes across as either a touchy‐feely moral mediator who would lend credence to the dumbest opinion as long as it comes from the right "marginalized" group, or an aggressive social critic who finds his gospel in some petty controversial issue and makes it his moral crusade. Neither of which I can stand.

jdeac51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By jdeac51

As a long time GBer I find that Patrick can add some interesting views to the show. However, I feel that he has lately brought in too many political/social arguments into articles and podcasts for my taste. I think there is room for that in doses but I find his constant championing of these causes to be tiresome and against the point of why I fell in love with GB in the first place. I simply want fun and interesting content that is unique to the GB crew...Patrick tries too hard to bring in this leftist-academica perspective that can just personally wear me down. Additionally, he seems to be very pretentious regarding his views and anyone who disagree's with him is a fool/racist/bigot. The PAX Panel with Zoe was unnecessary...people say dumb shit online...why can't people just ignore bullshit and move on with their lives? All that was just a platform to showcase hyper-sensitivity. Patrick and Zoe would get gold stars if they just tweeted out "Fuck the negative shit...life goes on" Instead we had a WHOLE DAMN PAX PANEL about asshole online and how they hurt our feelings...REALLY? I don't think he is a bad guy but he paints himself as a fighter for "Social Justice" which comes off as so damn high and mighty.

I like all the rest of the crew because they seem to have a greater overall perspective on things and usually laugh/brush off the foolish nonsense that the internet produces rather than whine about it.

jdeac51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By jdeac51
@erhard said:

It's not about not liking change. None of his video content interests me and his brand of simultaneously self‐pitying and self‐righteous writing makes me groan. He comes across as either a touchy‐feely moral mediator who would lend credence to the dumbest opinion as long as it comes from the right "marginalized" group, or an aggressive social critic who finds his gospel in some petty controversial issue and makes it his moral crusade. Neither of which I can stand.

This.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#64  Edited By spraynardtatum

THE INTERNET IS A HUGE THING THAT'S AVAILABLE TO ALL DIFFERENT KINDS OF PEOPLE WITH ALL DIFFERENT KINDS OF PERSONALITIES!!!

Berserk007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Berserk007

Hate can be the crucible to love

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jdeac51 said:
@erhard said:

This.

Exactly.

The funny thing is, disliking Patrick will get me branded a conservative, a misogynist, and who knows what else, both by his fans (you need not look any further than this very thread) and even the man himself, but I actually generally agree with most of his stances on social issues. What I take issue with is how fucking sanctimonious he is about it all. He just has a very obnoxious personality to me, even when talking about games.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#67  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I really like Patrick. I don't necessarily like every single piece of content he makes nor do I always agree with him, but I think he does quality work and, more often than not, brings a different, but welcome perspective to the discussion.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#68  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I'm surprised the mods have allowed this thread to go on this long...

A whole 3 hours. We must be slipping!

As always, these threads seem to spiral downwards into "I don't like Patrick because _______" or "I think Scoops is great because ______" and at the end of the day it's not a discussion and doesn't serve any real purpose other than occasionally insulting a member of staff.

If you want to know what people think of Patrick then feel free to browse any of the dozens of identical threads littering the forums. You'll notice they have all been locked as well.