Persona 5 or Mass Effect?

• 65 results
FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

If I could only buy one more game in my life it would probably be Persona 5. Make of that what you will lol

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By stordoff

Persona 5 100% for me (I have the JP version already, and have two pre-orders on the English release). From what I've played, it could rival P4.

Loading Video...

As a fan of both series, I will always vote for more Persona. Mass Effect I could have lived without it returning. If there wasn't a proper Persona 5, it would have been a crime or would have spread a sense of dread throughout the townspeople.

I probably should have written a more dedicated blog to Persona at this point, but this is pretty close if you're interested.

Had that as my PS4 dash music since P5 shipped in Japan. Great OST.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona 5. Never liked Bioware games.

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

Update to last post - just started over on P5, knowing a little more Japanese than last time I played. If I understand the setup, and the twist at which the game hints, properly, it might actually have a better narrative than P4. Can't think of a game I'd be more looking forward to ATM.

Rosur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By Rosur

Persona 5 looking like its gonna be one of the great JRPG's, ME:A looks kinda boring and generic after playing Horizon...

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

@lawgamer said:

@zevvion said:

@malrock: Mass Effect 3 is more RPG than 2 and 1. Lots more weapons, lots more customization options.

That depends greatly on how you define "RPG." Do you define it as being purely about weapons and customization, or do you define it in terms of characters, story, and world? If the former then sure, you can call ME3 an RPG. By that standard, MGSV is an RPG. If it's the later, then ME3 is nowhere close prior entries in terms of RPG-ness, particularly ME1. Fewer conversation choices (most of which are completely binary with no middle path), side-content that is generic, auto-dialogued paint by numbers fetch-quest garbage, and an overall plot that reads like bad fan-fiction.

The problem with that though, is that people look at ME2 and 1 with rosey eyes. Go replay ME1 right now. Boot up the choice maker on PC. 90% of the 'middle' choices boil down to paragon conclusions. ME3 took those middle choices out completely in some cases, but that doesn't alter how the game works. ME1 feigned a lot of what you're talking about. That game really doesn't have anything RPG-ey over ME3 outside of the armor suits and whatnot.

That said, this is probably an impossible discussion as you said, because it's weird to define what RPG exactly is. Choice is not even inherently a huge component of RPG's per se. To answer your question though, I think ME3 is an RPG because the abilities matter a whole lot more. There are actual build possibilities within each subclass unlike the second and especially the first game. It also has the highest number of guns with the most customization thereof and it makes use of a game progression resource that is determined by your choices that is actually possible to fuck up. ME1 probably had a better, more satisfying story progression though. I don't know. I'm suddenly realizing this is weird. What game doesn't have heavy RPG-influences nowadays? This probably doesn't matter.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

I'll also suggest Persona.

With Mass Effect you largely know what your going to get but with Persona pretty much anything's game.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I watched the Persona 5 prequel anime a couple of weeks ago. Everything about this addition to the franchise has me excited. As much as I loved original Mass Effect, this new one just isn't lighting my fire yet. I can add that if I was only going to play one game this whole year, I would chose Persona 5 to be that game.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#59  Edited By dagas

I'm getting ME mostly because it is out first. But also because it is my favorite franchise. I'll eventually play P5 because I loved P3 and P4.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By ripelivejam

people here may be a bit biased, i'd say. ; )

(i don't think the userbase here has ever so uniformly made their mind up on a game before its release)

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#61  Edited By alistercat

I am less confident about liking Persona 5, but I am also having to choose between the two. Even though I'm sure I'll have a good time I think Persona 5 has the potential for greatness considering my feelings on Persona 4. I guess that affects the decision.

The smartest thing to do is wait. Wait until ME is out and you'll know, then it's 2 weeks for Persona. Patience.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Wait for reviews. There's a 10/10 out there for Persona 5 in OPM, but that's only one review. Do not preorder.

gunflame88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only ever liked Mass Effect 2, because 1 was way too clunky and 3 was surprisingly forgettable and boring for an alleged epic ending to a space opera trilogy. At least 2 had interesting characters and decent writing. Of the Persona games, I've played 2, 3 and 4, all of which I loved to various degrees. The prerelease materials shown so far for Andromeda have not convinced me they will do better than the third game, while P5 looks damn fun and exciting in comparison, so if you can only go with one franchise right now, I'd say Persona is the better choice.

Dispossession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona 5, it seems. I am getting both. I love Mass Effect dearly, and despite whatever concerns I have, Andromeda is a must for me. Persona 4 was the first game that sort of opened me up to JRPGs, so Persona 5 is a must for me as well.

Rodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#65  Edited By Rodin

I guess it really boils down to whether you want a game that by all accounts is a pretty fast paced 3rd person shooter with light rpg elements or a very stylish somewhat slower and more traditional jrpg, there is certainly room for both as they seem to offer very different experiences.

I suppose the only real advice I can give is do you like the look of persona 4 or mass effect 2/3 more as they should be pretty decent guide posts as to which you should get.

While I'm certainly getting both, if I had to choose just 1 of the 2 I'd go persona 5 100%

I've been pretty sceptical about mass effect but over the last couple days I've gotten pretty hype over it