Avatar image for organicalistic_
Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Organicalistic_

The object of this is to get Giant bomb to do more video reviews, and less ER, trust me i do love them, but I think in the meantime video reviews would be better. Giantbomb should also review some older games too, because the one thing our competitors have against us is age. People still search for review on older games too.
Reasons:

1. When most people search for a review for a game they search videos.
  2. This would boost GB's users because if GB puts out more video reviews then more people will find them.
  3. That is about the gist of it.
    Do you think they should do more video reviews, opinions???

edit: 
I am not dissin' ER, they may not even have to cut back on it, I am just saying, Their video review tab is, well kind of small, and they could definitely use a lot more to introduce new users and a bigger better community.

edit even more quick looks would be nice, the only reason i made this is to get them to add more to the video review tab because almost nothing is there compared to our competitors.
Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Pie

I like the ER. 
Also you want them to go back and play a load of old games that could take a while to complete just for a 5 minute video review?

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Video reviews are nice, but if doing what they're currently doing takes up too much time to be doing video reviews as well, then I don't think they should. The quick looks give so much more insight into a game than a video review does.

If they have the time though, more video reviews is definitely something I approve of.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#4  Edited By BeachThunder

Yes, older reviews would be good :3

For some reason the first thing that came to mind is Oddworld.

Berezov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Berezov

So instead of reviewing newer releases they review... older releases? Naa I'm not feeling it. 

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By flaminghobo

Giant Bomb wants to be different from most video gaming sites which is why we have things such as the ER and TANG, more video reviews compared to unique content would only spoil that.

lil_cheeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By lil_cheeks

The whole idea of the site is that users can review old games.  I myself have reviewed some NES, Dreamcast, and Xbox games.  Thats the whole point, you can review what ever you want.  To have them go back and review all old games would be great but that takes time.  So would you rather have old or new stuff?  You can't have both because time is money and if they had tons of money i am sure they would have no problem hiring help to do this.  Remember, Giantbomb is a business as much as we think of it as entertainment.  You want them to make money or we wouldn't have any of this.  So hiring help to do so may be an idea down the road but i think they are trying to run a successful business at the moment and that does not include paying someone to do old reviews.

ElCapitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#8  Edited By ElCapitan
@organicalistic_:  The ERs are my favorite part of GB mostly because they're the most unique part of it and they allow me to experience the personalities. To me, this site is great because each of the four are so interesting to listen to and I would hate to lose that to be more editorially focused on reviews.
gazel_ministry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By gazel_ministry

My personal preference for this website is exclusive material, like the Endurance Run. Besides, I find the Quick Looks give me a much better look at the game than a review.

Avatar image for mightymayormike
MightyMayorMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MightyMayorMike

I don't know, I do wish there was more Giant Bomb for me to consume, but at the same time I don't. I love this site because I feel like the guys get to do their own thing, and use this space as they see fit.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By JJWeatherman
@FlamingHobo said:
" Giant Bomb wants to be different from most video gaming sites which is why we have things such as the ER and TANG, more video reviews compared to unique content would only spoil that. "
Speaking of TANG, I'm ready for a second season!
xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By xMP44x

Personally I think it'd be nice if they were to allow users to make video reviews for games as well. Even if they didn't allow us to upload them directly here, and to upload elsewhere and then embed it or something. But not YouTube, because YT embeds don't look pretty. Still, I don't really watch many videos on the site, but I enjoy reviews and Quick Looks.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By AlwaysAngry

I don't watch the endurance run, so sure.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Video Reviews take a lot of time and resources recording and editing them. Endurance Runs and Quick Looks take hardly any editing. They just sit in front of the TV, play the game & talk about it, and then upload it to the site. Simple & not overly time consuming. Video Reviews involve playing the entire game, writing and recording the review, going back through the game to record appropriate clips & editing it all together. All of the editing is very time consuming for Drew & Vinny. They just don't have the resources to do video reviews as often as they would like.

Also, I strongly disagree that :

"When most people search for a review for a game they search videos "

I think most people prefer written reviews to video reviews. They're more detailed, and if the person is interested in the game they will have already watched gameplay video's of it, so viewing the gameplay in the review isn't really needed. And if they haven't already seen gameplay, it's easy enough to find some.
brenogil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By brenogil

I am very much into QLs, ERs, TANGs, and Video Reviews. I do not think this should be a trade off. I choose EVERYTHING!
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By ajamafalous

No. I'd go into further detail, but what I would've said has already been said.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By RVonE

I like video reviews, but I don't want more of those if it is at the expense of their other video content. I mean, plenty of sites churn out loads of video review--I am here for something different.
Liminality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Liminality

Do you want less of the things that made me love Giant Bomb in the first place? I completely disagree with you.

Spookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Spookie

I could give less of a toss about video reviews. If I wanted an overly edited video I'd watch one of the trailers the publisher has put out. Quick Looks are more than enough for me.

Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Organicalistic_
@el33tcapitan: They only have like a page of video reviews, they could use a lot more, and I love the endurance runs
thekeenan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By thekeenan

I am pretty much against more video reviews at the cost of ER and Quicklooks.  

Though I do prefer reviews to be in video format, the written ones are fine. Especially when I am using them for a purchasing decision I prefer to take my time and read the review rather then watch the video.

However, the reviews are not the main reason I come to this site. I come here for the Quick looks, ERs and other orginal tpye of content (TANG, ask me anything, etc.). Don't get me wrong, I enjoy reading/watching the reviews but they are far from the main reason why I love this site.
rosebud04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By rosebud04

Don't change a God damn thing?

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RVonE

If anything, I would like to see more quick looks.
Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#24  Edited By Baal_Sagoth
@Scrumdidlyumptious said:
" Video reviews are nice, but if doing what they're currently doing takes up too much time to be doing video reviews as well, then I don't think they should. The quick looks give so much more insight into a game than a video review does.  If they have the time though, more video reviews is definitely something I approve of. "
I agree. QL's are much more unique and helpful than regular reviews - features like these are part of the reason why I spend most of my time on GB instead of one of the myriad of other options. (which are still available for regular coverage should I ever feel the need to check 'em out again...).
The other factor that makes GB better suited to my taste than any other competitors at the moment  is it's awesome staff though, so I won't just switch sites for a mere change of video format because I still wouldn't easily find people that are as funny, reliable, competent and entertaining as the GB crew is! 
HaroldoNVU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By HaroldoNVU

I just wish they would hire a couple of reviewers to increase their coverage of portable and indie games. They don't need to cover "everything" like GS or IGN, but a couple more reviews per month would be better. 

Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Organicalistic_
@RVonE: this too more quick looks
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FunExplosions

No. No, no, no, no, no. No. None. Not any of what you said.
I, personally, when looking for a review always go to a particular site first that I know will have it. I never search 'videos', because chances are I'll come across some idiot middle-schooler trying to review it on youtube. I might just do a normal search, and if I see a reputable website name, I'll click it. Chances are I already know a shitload about that particular game, though.

I've only seen the first two videos of the current Endurance Run. It's not my thing. I can definitely see why so many people like it, though. Getting rid of what makes Giant Bomb different is a horrible idea. If they start doing what appeals to everyon e, then before they know it, the essence of Giant Bomb is lost, and people will find no real reason to go to "just another under-staffed video game site."

The way they are doing things is absolutely correct. The wiki, the quests, the quick looks, the ER. All of it is drawing users in from all over. Good job, Jeff and crew!

Dysnomia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Dysnomia

Compromise and they do ERs, then do a video review of the ER.

ArrrCee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ArrrCee

Personally, I think the Quick Looks work much better than reviews. If I can see someone play a game and talk about their experience so far, it's much more helpful than a review for sure.
Avatar image for mightymayormike
MightyMayorMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MightyMayorMike
@MattyFTM said:
"I think most people prefer written reviews to video reviews. They're more detailed, and if the person is interested in the game they will have already watched gameplay video's of it, so viewing the gameplay in the review isn't really needed. And if they haven't already seen gameplay, it's easy enough to find some. "
I didn't think about this, but this is true for me. (I don't know about most people.) I certainly prefer text reviews to video reviews. Then again, I mainly read game blogs, and ignore sites such as IGN and Gamespot. Not for any specific reason. They just don't present information in a way that grabs me.
JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By JakJ

Video Reviews are kinda pointless. They take a lot of resources to produce and never say anything that wasn't already mentioned in the text review.

I get a much better feel of whether I'm gonna like a game or not from the Quick Looks. Plus those can be really, really, funny.

I vote for leaving the current system in place.

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32  Edited By nukesniper

The problem there is the editing and stuff. Writing and cutting up a video review takes much more time than throwing a game in the Xbox and hitting GO!. While it has been a while since their last video review, I think that ER and Quick Looks do a lot for games that other sites don't do.  

Well, the ER gets me to watch about at least one game a lot. It's always entertaining. And I bought Persona 4 (2 copies even) thanks to the first run...

Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Organicalistic_
@HaroldoNVU: yes, that is what i am talking about
Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I prefer ER's as I couldn't care less about reviews.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35  Edited By metal_mills

Less ER? Fuck off.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#36  Edited By armaan8014
@Liminality said:
" Do you want less of the things that made me love Giant Bomb in the first place? I completely disagree with you. "
Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Brians
Endurance Run better than video reviews.
Video Reviews don't convince me to buy a game.
Hearing about games on the bombcast does.
Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#38  Edited By Symphony
@JakJ said:
" Video Reviews are kinda pointless. They take a lot of resources to produce and never say anything that wasn't already mentioned in the text review.   I get a much better feel of whether I'm gonna like a game or not from the Quick Looks. Plus those can be really, really, funny.  I vote for leaving the current system in place. "
This, unless a site is devoted exclusively to video reviews such as Gametrailers. Say what you will about Gametrailers, but I think their video reviews are the most polished out there and generally do a good job of answering the questions I'm asking.  

For the other sites I frequent, their text reviews do that so while an extra video review can be a nice touch it's sort of a redundancy (unless it's totally crazy like Jeff's old VR of Need for Speed: Most Wanted ;P), and often times feels tacked on. For example, some of the reviewers over at IGN have a terrible monotone when VOing their review and watching their video reviews can be painful. I can't help but wonder why they evened bothered... because there's a group of people out there who hate reading, I guess?
Dynoro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By Dynoro

The video reviews (and TANG) must require a hell of a lot more time and work than QL and ER.  ER for example have to be setup, recorded, edited and uploaded - where as Video Reviews need all of this and a lot of background research and to actually play through and complete the game. Plus the amount of editing work on reviews must be made compared to QL/ERs; getting the video gameplay to match what is being talked about and in sync. 
Maxx2029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Maxx2029

I would think there are enough Video Review sites already, it would be kinda pointless to focus on that path. I enjoy much more seeing Giantbomb doing their own thing.

rohanspear345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By rohanspear345

NOOOOOOO! ENDURANCE RUN FOREVAR! vid reviews r kinda lame compared to INFINITE SMG!!

themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42  Edited By themartyr
@xMP44x said:
" Personally I think it'd be nice if they were to allow users to make video reviews for games as well. Even if they didn't allow us to upload them directly here, and to upload elsewhere and then embed it or something. But not YouTube, because YT embeds don't look pretty.
....Can you not just make your video review, then post a user review and link it?
Pkshields

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#43  Edited By Pkshields

I'd rather see more stuff like Video Things, stuff that shows the creative side of the staff more. You can see video reviews anywhere.

RoujinX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By RoujinX

Go back to gamespot.
ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#45  Edited By ReyGitano
Honestly, I hardly ever watch video reviews anymore, because I get more out of reading the actual review. Anything I would get out of video, I get much more out of watching a quicklook. I loved Video Reviews when I was younger, but now I feel like this system is the way to go.
sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By sickVisionz

Boo hiss.  I love ER and prefer to read reviews.

Horace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Horace

Meh.  I usually don't watch the video reviews, I prefer the written version and the quick looks.

yakityyakblah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By yakityyakblah

I'd rather they keep up with the unique features like Ask Me Anything, Quicklooks, and ER instead of doing stuff everyone else does. Reviewing old games could be a unique feature though, kind of a hidden gems segment makes sense. 

But Giant Bomb doesn't have the man power to compete traditionally, games are kind of time consuming to review. Maybe later on when they conquer the universe, but right now they're carving out their own niche in the market and it looks like it's working great. Why imitate when you can innovate?

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Pie
@SlashseveN303: You were gonna say something about my post?
Pox22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Pox22

Video reviews aren't terribly valuable, since they just read the text review in front of a camera.  The time spent filming and editing could be much better spent on features that aren't so redundant.