• 54 results
TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By TheFlamingo352

Poll Pick your favourite #10 game from past GOTYs (461 votes)

2008 - Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts 5%
2011 - Rayman Origins 5%
2012 - Sleeping Dogs 15%
2013 - Rogue Legacy 7%
2014 - Destiny 4%
2015 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt 48%
2016 - Stardew Valley 14%
2017 - Dream Daddy: A Dad Dating Simulator 1%
 • 
ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

It's a hard choice between The Witcher 3 and Stardew Valley. But I'm going with Stardew Valley on this one.

Avatar image for indiana_jenkins
indiana_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By indiana_jenkins

Don't sleep on Sleeping Dogs.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only played Rayman Origins, Sleeping Dogs and Witcher 3. Wasn't that impressed by any of them. Sleeping Dogs was mediocre.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BladedEdge

Someone is gonna come in here and say something snarking indicating the opposite, so I'll just state for the record what the silent majority thinks of it.

Looking at that list, everything makes sense as 10th place. Split between games which might make it to the number one spot on some top-tens, but the GB guys just didn't play enough of or like quite as much as the general populace and games which were extremely popular with a niche segment of the gaming community, but which was more or less universally praised by anyone who put time into them, which included one or two people on staff. Not enough to go higher, but enough to just make the cut.

See, in the context of games like Stardew valley and Rogue Legacy, Dream Daddy totally fits in the column of "loved by people who really liked it, but not everyone played it'.

Which is a shame. Cause I feel like some games (Stardew valley) are the sort that if every single person on staff was forced to put 50+ hours into it..would have hit a higher number. (Same with the witcher 3). But those games at #10 fit given how much they were played by GB staff, or how much one or two people who did play them loved them while no one else had anything/enough bad to say about them.

So yah, Dream Daddy in the larger context fits perfectly as a #10 on GB list. There, my best defense against what has increasingly just become an excuse by people in the GB community to rag on certain staff members for, at best, shady reasons.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Witcher 3 could be a #1 in any of those years so I'll go with that.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

No contest. Giant Bomb goofed putting Witcher so low.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sleeping Dogs got 10th? On this site? The fuck else came out that year?

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I can't not say Stardew. Sleeping Dogs is my number 2 for sure and Rayman is number 3

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was looking down the list one by one thinking "Man these are some pretty solid hits. I could pick any one of these."

But then I got to 2015. The Witcher 3 is the best game I've ever played.

I totally understand why it is so low on the list. It's actually pretty cool they gave it enough recognition to be on the list at all considering 90% of the people either didn't care for it or actively disliked it. And I dig that Giant Bombs lists are always so different from the mainstream opinion.

But it will always be funny that a game that I would put ahead of any other game in any year just BARELY made it on a list of the best games in just one year.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I love Stardew Valley but the Witcher 3 is my favourite game, ever, so it beats everything.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

Easily The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. It's the best game that has ever been on any of their top 10 lists.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I have only played Rayman Origins and Rogue Legacy. And I didn't really care that much for Rayman Origins, so Rogue Legacy it is.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

The Witcher 3. LOL

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Witcher 3.

Don't get me wrong I love Sleeping Dogs, Rogue Legacy and Stardew Valley but it's TW3 we're talking about here.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NTM

Has anyone ever done this with their number one game? I was thinking about doing something similar in the past but didn't. I think that'd be more interesting honestly. Also, The Witcher 3 is an easy choice.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By viking_funeral

That's a tough one.

Witcher 3 was amazing, but I'm unlikely to play it again like I would Stardew Valley. Hmmm...

1. Witcher 3
  2. Stardew Valley
  3. Rogue Legacy
BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BoOzak

Sleeping Dogs. I liked the story and characters in The Witcher 3 but I didnt think it played well and the bigger (than the previous games) open world just made the game more tedious.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Nuts & Bolts you monsters

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Rayman Origins is a delight.

Milijango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Milijango

Only played Sleeping Dogs and the Witcher 3 here. I'd say the Witcher takes it comfortably, even if I have more mixed feelings on the game than most.

elmorales94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly? The only game I REALLY liked out of this bunch is Dream Daddy. So that's what I picked. Rayman is the closest, but I burned out fast.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

Wait, Nuts and Bolts was number 10 in 2008? I thought that was higher considering that everybody on GB LOVED that game. Gonna need to check the list myself.

I voted Stardew.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Rayman Origins is easily my pick.

Zoidberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By Zoidberg

Rogue Legacy takes it for me, but I haven't played many of these.

On that note: Sleeping Dogs is $2 for PS3 on the US PSN store right now. Is it worth it?

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

When I eventually play more of The Witcher 3, that is my answer. My answer today is the delightful and incredibly satisfying Rayman Origins.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#28 fisk0  Moderator

Hard choice between Rayman Origins and Sleeping Dogs. Kinda leaning towards the former.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#29  Edited By liquiddragon
Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By Tom_omb

Sleepy Dogs only made 10 that year? Criminal! Best game on that list by a mile. Rayman Origins and Rogue Legacy are also very good. Although I haven't played Stardew and Dream Daddy.... yet.

Which is a shame. Cause I feel like some games (Stardew valley) are the sort that if every single person on staff was forced to put 50+ hours into it..would have hit a higher number. (Same with the witcher 3). But those games at #10 fit given how much they were played by GB staff, or how much one or two people who did play them loved them while no one else had anything/enough bad to say about them.

Forcing someone to play a game they don't want to play is not the way to get them to like it. I forced myself to get through the Witcher 3, and I would probably have had a more positive experience with it if I stopped after the Bloody Baron quest.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Did they have an ordered top 10 in 2008? I don't think they did, though my vote will go to Nuts and Bolts.

Sleeping Dogs is my second choice. And also the only other game on the list I have actually played. Of the ones I haven't played I think Witcher 3 is the only one that has a chance of becoming my personal favorite. Though I am sure I'd like them all.

frustratedlnc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked Rayman but that's because I confused it with Legends, which I thought was a much better game. The Witcher 3 is the obvious choice.

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's probably gonna be Witcher 3, with nothing further to add, but question marks as to why it was placed as number 10 in said year.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Haven't played any of those games.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Yeah, it's The Witcher 3 for me. The Giant Bomb crew's near-universal aversion to lengthy RPGs is one of those things I've just kinda learned to accept, but it's easily one of my favorite games of the last 5 years. There isn't a whole lot else on this list that I've played or really love (Well, I'll put it this way: the Destiny that got #10 in 2014 is not the Destiny I ended up spending dozens of hours on in 2015) besides Nuts and Bolts, which I guess I'm kinda baffled was so low? Given that the GOTY battle that year was between GTA 4 and MGS 4, I sure do think it's a lot better than either of those.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: Oh yeah, I already voted on that one. I'd still choose The Last of Us.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Banjo: Nuts & Bolts easily. I love that game

Respect to Brad.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie said:

Sleeping Dogs got 10th? On this site? The fuck else came out that year?

How the hell did Vinny let that happen?

rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still baffled at the dislike for Witcher 3 and then all the Zelda love when Witcher 3 does everything Zelda does but better.

MagnetPhonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering the state of the games at the time of voting. Stardew Valley was the best of the number 10s. In their current state the best game is... Stardew Valley

The Witcher 3 "only" got number 10 on the list because of The Witcher 3. At release it was well liked, but basically the whole crew fell off it. But more importantly it. a) Ran like shit at the time, b) had a widely hated control scheme.

Avatar image for mancombseepgood
MancombSeepgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rawrz said:

Still baffled at the dislike for Witcher 3 and then all the Zelda love when Witcher 3 does everything Zelda does but better.

I think there are similarities but the reasons people like Zelda aren't the things that it adopted from The Witcher. My favourite part of Zelda is the exploration, the novelty of having to climb high and look around to find interesting things, and you almost always do. The Witcher, while doing a lot of great stuff for RPG's, is still a map with a lot of icons on it, which is to its detriment. (I'm saying this as someone who really does love The Witcher 3, too).

For my money, Stardew Valley is the best game on that list. I think it's pretty obvious that most people are gonna vote Witcher 3, but jeez did I lose a lot of hours in a relatively short space of time to Stardew Valley. I keep repurchasing on different consoles, I keep playing it.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@rawrz said:

I don't know how long it took you to write that sentence to be as triggering as possible, but you sure nailed it.

I'll attempt to not be the fuel you threw that burning match towards, but I will say that Zelda does a lot of things W3 does not do. The reasons for liking both or either can be wildly different.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Both Destiny and Witcher 3 placed at #3 on my lists in their respective years. I have more respect for what Witcher 3 achieves overall; but I think I liked Destiny a little more.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Witcher by a mile. Destiny at the second spot. Everything else somewhere in the mud grappling for scraps.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Witcher 3 for sure. It was definitely my game of the year that year. Its so good.

JoeDangerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By JoeDangerous

That's a hard pick between Sleeping Dogs and Stardew Valley for me. Sorry Wei Shen but I'm going with my blueberry farmer.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rogue Legacy hit me hard in a spot I didn't know I had and left me yearning for a genre that started and ended with the game. Sure there are similar games but none play like RL did. :(

Stardew Valley is pretty good. Looking forward to the multiplayer patch that the dev showed on twitter recently.

Sleeping Dogs also good - especially for a Hong Kong cinema fan.

The rest is hot trash. •‿•

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geirr said:

The rest is hot trash. •‿•

The hottest of takes. :-P

Your take of Rogue Legacy has made me second guess myself to perhaps finally go and play it. I've always meant to play it but, you know, time.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Witcher 3 easily. Although Stardew Valley is another very good game that should have had a higher spot.