Pixel art - Dying breed of games or exactly the opposite?

Avatar image for irisedgestudios
IrisEdgeStudios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Pixel art - Dying breed of games or exactly the opposite? (55 votes)

Dead RIP 2%
Alive and well! 98%

Im sure we all know the amazing world of Pixel Art, but what do you think?

It it slowly dying as the OG games fade away or exactly the opposite and will always be around?

• 
cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's certainly not going away any time soon, there's so many being made that i roll my eyes whenever i see a new one, it takes a lot to make your pixel art stand out these days at least to me.
It's cool when people make retro styled games that are faithful to the systems that inspired them, but i'm more interested when those games do things that were impossible back then, which is why i'm far more interested in the growing scene for the PS1 aesthetic. The best games that look like they came out in the mid to late 90's came out in the mid to late 90's, i want to see someone reimagine games like Tomb Raider, Syphon Filter, Soul Reaver, it's actually quite amazing no one's come along and copied Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, or a Gran Turismo style racing game.
Those were big budget games back then, but i'm hoping the tools we have now and the low fidelity of that style can open the door to some very interesting games in the future... if not i guess there's more pixel art rogue-likes on the way for those who want it.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@cikame said:

It's certainly not going away any time soon, there's so many being made that i roll my eyes whenever i see a new one, it takes a lot to make your pixel art stand out these days at least to me.

I'm in this boat with you, there's so many games that use really similar styles of pixel art that it starts to get really tiresome to see another indie game come out with another pixel art style month after month.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It’s a legitimate medium that has had a revival that is perhaps wearing a little thin, but I don’t think would ever be dead as disco. It taps nostalgia while still being able to move forward in its style with modern visual effects such as with cloudpunk and replaced. And, it’s an accessible Duke in development, easier to make than 3D objects allowing smaller or poorer teams and developers like with Stawdew Valley (in the sense of their fist effort, ConcernedApe is rich now, but wasn’t while making Stardew.)

I think that the “revival it’s enjoyed is and will continue to fade, but will remain as a standard style for a long time to come.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't say making pixel art is easier than 3D, in a technical sense rendering a 2D scene is easier so there's less optimisation required, but depending on the level of detail pixel art can be a chore, 3D artists can blow things out at a rapid clip but the time is then spent fixing all the issues that come with a third dimension.
The two pixel art games that have my attention are REPLACED and Radio The Universe, the latter of which has been in development for 9+ years.

styx971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

with the indie space in the last decade i'd say its given pixel art a new life , before that i would have said it was dying. i'm happy there has been a resurgence overall cause frankly good pixel art is amazing. don't get me wrong its not the same as the 'old days' when the artists were bond by constraints of the system n tv those classic games always feel like they're on another level but having read a article not long ago about scanline filters n stuff it made me realize Why my games always looked like shit on new TVs. .. all this is to say while the old stuff is amazing in its own way the newer stuff can be just as amazing cause its not being held back and Is new. still great pixel art isn't something imo alot of ppl who do choose pixel art actually do instead they often go for a bit more of a minimal approach which can be good in a way is not always my thing. i think the art style gets alot of flax overall cause of the types of games that usually use it these days tho but its a thing that if done well can be recognized for what it is separate from its game too. idk i don't think its going anyway at this point vs howe things had been when 3d first became a thing i think ppl know both can exist together and not everything Has to be 3d vs when 3d was new and everyone seemingly fell off of using pixel art cause it 'looked old' ..generally pixel art ages better.

TLDR : not dying think here to stay mostly

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

It’s alive and doing really well.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I think the perfect amount of pixel art games come out. The perfect amount succeed and the perfect amount fails. And given that track record the perfect amount will be made or not made in the future.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It's a stylistic choice at this point. There will always be room for it.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

The number of games that use pixel art that get released now means that they aren't dying. We're not just talking about a handful of games on Steam here. Pixel art games have huge reach. There is huge variety in the types of games that utilize pixel art. I'm not personally a fan of it, and I think it's maybe used too much, but the same could be said for nearly every AAA game shooting for a hyperrealistic art style.