patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
Minicraft is Notch's take on Minecraft, fit within the Ludum Dare's
Minicraft is Notch's take on Minecraft, fit within the Ludum Dare's "Alone" theme this year.

Some developers have all the time in the world to finish their creations, but the Ludum Dare challenges creators to piece together a video game in a very strict, rather ridiculous window: 48 hours or less.

This year’s Ludum Dare finished earlier this week, with more than 700 developers submitting projects, all of which are available online.

Several notable developers worked within this year’s “Alone” theme, including Makcus “Notch” Persson, who contributed Minicraft, an overhead 2D game much like Minecraft.

If you’ve played most of this year’s big games already, there’s a whole slew of weirdness waiting for you on the Ludum Dare website.

I haven’t had much time to sort through them yet, but if any catch your eye, please let me know!

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek
Minicraft is Notch's take on Minecraft, fit within the Ludum Dare's
Minicraft is Notch's take on Minecraft, fit within the Ludum Dare's "Alone" theme this year.

Some developers have all the time in the world to finish their creations, but the Ludum Dare challenges creators to piece together a video game in a very strict, rather ridiculous window: 48 hours or less.

This year’s Ludum Dare finished earlier this week, with more than 700 developers submitting projects, all of which are available online.

Several notable developers worked within this year’s “Alone” theme, including Makcus “Notch” Persson, who contributed Minicraft, an overhead 2D game much like Minecraft.

If you’ve played most of this year’s big games already, there’s a whole slew of weirdness waiting for you on the Ludum Dare website.

I haven’t had much time to sort through them yet, but if any catch your eye, please let me know!

krabboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By krabboss

playin games woo

:3

Zaapp1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Zaapp1

Sounds like a Game Jam.

bubba1287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By bubba1287

Cool to see

Avatar image for aneternalenigma
AnEternalEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AnEternalEnigma

Who is this "Makcus Persson"?

Hooray for proofreading!

barkertron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By barkertron
renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By renmckormack

@AnEternalEnigma: RETURN OF THE MACKUS

gerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8  Edited By gerp

Sounds cool and weird. I like it

Suits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Suits

891 entries

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By Humanity
Chemin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Chemin

"Makcus" is an avid contender in that competition every year, if I recall correctly. He loves them indie-communities.

Avatar image for sergeant_stubby
Sergeant_Stubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sergeant_Stubby

hey im going to quite developing minecraft for a bit.... know what game idea i got next? a 2D take on minecraft! genius i say... fuck lame.

ludorverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ludorverr

I wonder if Patrick will write another article about Ludum Dare in April when there's another 900 games released in 48 hours. And then again In August and December of next year. Notch has competed probably at least 5 times I think.

Giant Bomb is always so clueless about free indie PC games. Almost always only ever paying attention to games that cost money and ignoring everything else (or categorising them as "crazy experimental"). As an amateur developer myself it makes me a little sad.

DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By DevWil

@ludorverr: my only issue with his characterization of these games as "crazy, experimental" is that a lot of them are actually pretty lame and uninspired. but you'll get that with so many entries.

i made two games as part of this myself:

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-22/?action=preview&uid=7526

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-22/?action=preview&uid=8828

also: patrick's not wrong about his "more than 700" figure. that's how many got in under the wire for the 48 hour competition, but even more were submitted as part of the 72-hour jam (which has looser rules as well as a longer timeframe).

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Sooty

Makcus?

No Caption Provided
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#16  Edited By King9999

@Zaapp1: That's exactly what it is. I've participated in one myself, plus a few similar events, where the timeframe is 1 week instead of a few days.

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Beaudacious

@ludorverr: Sad GiantBomb doesn't devote countless hours to your personal niche? I will apologize on behalf of all duders, no wait on behalf of the world! Worst thing about indie games is hipster developers, fucking hipsters be all over everything now a days.

DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By DevWil

@Chibi_Gaara said:

hey im going to quite developing minecraft for a bit.... know what game idea i got next? a 2D take on minecraft! genius i say... fuck lame.

i don't like minicraft very much, but it's a free java game that he made in a weekend for funsies. no reason to swear about it.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

900 games of differing quality and genres created in 48 hours? Sounds like TNT just waiting to happen.

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By renmckormack
ludorverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ludorverr
@Chibi_Gaara said:

if you saw his twitch.tv live stream (he recorded the process of making his game btw) you'd realize it wasn't like that, he spent quite a long time thinking up what kind of game he wanted to make. it sounded like he wanted to make an RTS but he decided against that idea because of the theme "Alone".

I only watched a few hours of the end and the beginning of the stream though. I don't even like notch or minecraft but I do appreciate the Ludum Dare and people's efforts.
Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Vexxan

SO MANY GAMES

starerik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By starerik
Splandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Splandon

games, right?

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FunExplosions

@ErikSchroder: Pretty sharp looking game. The lamp was the opposite of helpful and the clams were a bit too dangerous, but it's a tight package. No crazy jerking in the mouse control or anything, so that's good. Pleasant visuals.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By mosespippy

I've tried a couple so far. Some were straight up busted, some had minor issues and some were just not fun. One gem I did find though is /follow. It's part point and click adventure, part cannabalt with good music too.

cronosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cronosin
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FunExplosions

Yo so I was playing Notch's Minicraft game for over an hour, then I hit a spiky mineral deposit and died. When you die you die. No fucking retries. Fuuuuuuck man. Fuck that. You can make moats in it, though.

GoodKn1ght

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GoodKn1ght
GoodKn1ght

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GoodKn1ght

@ludorverr said:

I wonder if Patrick will write another article about Ludum Dare in April when there's another 900 games released in 48 hours. And then again In August and December of next year. Notch has competed probably at least 5 times I think.Giant Bomb is always so clueless about free indie PC games. Almost always only ever paying attention to games that cost money and ignoring everything else (or categorising them as "crazy experimental"). As an amateur developer myself it makes me a little sad.

I know right? The only time they have ever did any indie games was when they did that segment on the top rated xbox indie games, and those were all so fantastic right? But really they are clueless because no one really cares. While there are indy games that are awesome and cool and not experimental, the majority are very uninspired and flat. Even though there are good indy games out there that are down right awesome, at the end of the day, I'm going to sit down and play a game like skyrim or banjo kazooie nut and bolts (weird choice but it is sitting right next to me and I now want to put it in and play it) not because the indy games suck, because those games are just better. Indy games often have 1 or 2 people that work really hard and are very passionate about their game, games like skyrim and BKNB have probably close to a hundred people working hard and are, believe it or not, equally passionate about it. Bigger budget games have more manpower to do cooler things, plain and simple.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Eyz

Wow! That Minicraft actually looks pretty promising and fun^^

Taklulas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Taklulas

@DevWil said:

@Chibi_Gaara said:

i don't like minicraft very much, but it's a free java game that he made in a weekend for funsies. no reason to swear about it.

Some people are gonna bitch just to bitch.

Lungford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Lungford

@ludorverr:

It's not really in their best interest to cover free games nearly as much as the ones that we as consumers have to pay for. The bottom line of a video game site like this is for users to come and get information about a game before we spend our money it. If a game is free to obtain, then we (the consumer) is able to get this information by ourselves, and we don't need somebody else to hand it to us. That should be the job of the Ludum Dare site and the developers making the games.

If a company is going to charge me $60 dollars for a game, then it is in their interest to spend money on advertising to make sure they convince me their game is good. Then I go to a website that has paid employees who are going to give me more information on this product. If the game's free, then none of that is a consideration because I'm not investing my own money, only my time and I can form my own opinion. If you're an indie developer that's complaining about lack of publicity, I'm sorry but you're going to have to spend some time or money making sure that people know about your game. Unfortunately it's all about the money.

I agree that the situation sucks. But you should be happy that there was an article at all, because I guarantee 90% of the GiantBomb community had no idea about the Ludum Dare. And now because of Patrick writing this article, I wonder how many more hits the Ludum Dare site will get...

Lungford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Lungford

@GoodKn1ght: Good points!

GoodKn1ght

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By GoodKn1ght

@Lungford: Haha thanks, I may not post much but when I do, I prefer it to be not dumb. Good points as well sir

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really should look into doing this. For the last two years, I did something similar with some friends with http://globalgamejam.org/, which is a 48-hour team event. We didn't make anything mind-blowing, but it's nice to think, "I could make a better game," and then actually go and try to make it happen. It's always been a humbling experience, but there's nothing better than seeing all that game design theory put into practice, working or otherwise.

Also, the Whiskey Media people should get in on the next one. A 72-hour endurance run. Giant Bomb: The Game.

jasondesante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37  Edited By jasondesante

"Minicraft is Notch's take on Minecraft,"

huh

skr0lld0wn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By skr0lld0wn
kamikaze_tutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By kamikaze_tutor
No Caption Provided

I'm part of the Make A Game team, "alone I art" was our entry for the 72 hour Jam. I hope you like it!

darthturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By darthturtle

@Ubersmake said:

Also, the Whiskey Media people should get in on the next one. A 72-hour endurance run. Giant Bomb: The Game.

I'd play that

JackG100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By JackG100

@GoodKn1ght: Cant really expect GiantBomb-crew to know everything about everything. Anyway, isnt this Dare a 72h dare and not 48?