Play the game before the seeing the movie?

Avatar image for sometingbanuble
sometingbanuble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By sometingbanuble

So I’m wrapping up my play through of Scott Pilgrim. It got me thinking (try it) are there any properties where you played the game before seeing the attached movie or show.

As an example (seem very necessary around here). Played the Samurai Jack game before seeing an episode of the show. Played the Friday the 13 game (for the love of god the most recent game not the NES game.. boomer) before seeing the movies. Yes, I had seen Scott Pilgrim before playing the game. But it got me thinking. Rare commodity in these parts.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Are we counting movies by Uwe Boll?

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By brian_  Online

I might have played the Power Rangers: The Movie beat 'em up on the Genesis before I saw the movie, but that would have been 20 years ago, and my memory is terrible, so I couldn't say for sure which I was exposed to first. I can't think of anything in recent memory, probably because no one's really out there making movie video games anymore, so if it did happen, it was probably on the Genesis.

EDIT: Oh, right. Goldeneye. I didn't play a whole lot of it, but to this day, I've still never seen that movie and have absolutely no intention to. Jurassic Park is also another one of those Genesis game that I might have played first but have no real memory of what came first.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I think I only do that because the movies are retroactive

I of course played Tomb Raider before seeing the movies. I have played as Nathan Drake through several games before seeing the movie. Yet, in a reversal I read Walking Dead comics before seeing playing the game or seeing the show. And, I read Hitchhiker Guide before playing the game in 1985.

I do hope we see more games becoming movies. I'd actually like a well done Mass Effect game. A game with the story and character from Life Is Strange would be awesome. Moreover, I would watch a movie with little dialogue that was ICO as long as if the castle was real tangible stone no bad CG.

Avatar image for flimflammandrew
FlimflamMandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I wonder how many people played Goldeneye before seeing the movie, despite the game coming out two years after the fact.

Avatar image for butterednoodles
butterednoodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played the Spider-Man 3 game before seeing the movie, so it was quite shocking to me when Harry died in the movie, because that just doesn't happen in the game.

Cloudleet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Goldeneye 64 is a pretty standard one I guess, I can't really think of any others, purely because I have usually played the games before the movies are announced.

I am that way with shows based on books and comic-books though, so been power-reading Wheel of Time and The Boys recently.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I of course played Tomb Raider before seeing the movies. I have played as Nathan Drake through several games before seeing the movie. Yet, in a reversal I read Walking Dead comics before seeing playing the game or seeing the show. And, I read Hitchhiker Guide before playing the game in 1985.

I do hope we see more games becoming movies. I'd actually like a well done Mass Effect game. A game with the story and character from Life Is Strange would be awesome. Moreover, I would watch a movie with little dialogue that was ICO as long as if the castle was real tangible stone no bad CG.

If you haven't seen it already, The Expanse is a pretty good Mass Effect substitute.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@monkeyking1969 said:

If you haven't seen it already, The Expanse is a pretty good Mass Effect substitute.

The Expanse is my favorite show on TV, and while there are similarities there, I wouldn't really call it a Mass Effect substitute. One of the most important aspects of Mass Effect is the galactic scale setting with the melting pot of alien civilizations. That isn't what The Expanse is.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Onemanarmyy

I witnessed Disney's Hercules & A Bugs Life through their games before i saw the movies. Those games actually do a fairly good job of giving you a rough idea of the story. I miss those games that just plop 30 seconds of actual footage from the movie in the game.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flimflammandrew: I still haven’t seen goldeneye but I logged likely hundreds if not thousands of hours in the 90s.

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Jurassic Park for the SEGA Genesis for me. I got my Genesis for Christmas in 1993, and I didn’t see the movie it was based on until the next month (although I devoured every piece of media they showed on network television). I was only 7 years old and it took a LOT of cajoling to get my parents to let me see it. Pretty sure I hid under my coat during the T-Rex sequences, so they probably shouldn’t have relented.

Nothing more recent than that jumps out to me, aside from maybe the PS2-era game based on Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers that came out before the movie did.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

i playe the riddick game before i even knew riddick had movies lol

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played Super Mario Bros. before the movie came out. I might've enjoyed the movie more if I hadn't played the game and spoiled the story though.

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sometingbanuble: playing samuria jack before the show really ruins the show. It was a big emotional journey, the game is like an epilogue.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I played Alien 3 on the Genesis as a kid long before I saw any of the movies. That's the main one that springs to mind.

Actually, come to think of it, there are a lot of licensed games from that era based on movies that I wasn't yet allowed to see. Terminator 2, Robocop, Judge Dredd... I played a lot of those games without ever seeing those movies.

I've spent a small amount of time with Ecks vs. Sever on the GBA, which I remember being eye-catching just because it was an FPS on the GBA. Never saw the movie, as it was very quickly labeled as one of the worst movies of all time.

I can't remember if I ended up playing the Wanted game on 360 or not, but if I did, I have a feeling I played it before seeing the movie.

Those are the only ones that spring to mind, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were other cases. Nothing recently, though.

aminamoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hearing about people's experiences with different media properties is always interesting. For me, I played the game based on "The Walking Dead" before watching the show. It was a really fun way to get immersed in the world of the series, and it made me more excited to watch the show.