Playing games on a projector

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Do any of you use a projector for playing games on? If yes, what is your experience like? I'm remodeling the basement and I'm considering getting a projector, but I've never owned one before and I'm not sure what the year over year experience is like.

For reference, I currently play on a 50" 4k Vizio P series from 2015.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have had a projector in my living room for about 2 years now and my experience has been pretty good so far. Started out with an Optoma GT1080 and while it was a good starter projector because it was cheap, unfortunately the quality was also a little mediocre. The sharpness and color were pretty bad compared to my 64" Samsung Plasma I had before it. I just figured because I was now using a 125" screen, 1080p just didn't look as sharp as it would on a smaller 64" screen. So after a year of using that projector I decided I wanted to get something a little higher quality so I decide to go with the BenQ HT2150ST. I was quite surprised how much better it looked. It seriously looks just as colorful and as sharp as my 64" Samsung Plasma did. Then I decided to paint my living room to be darker and it made the picture really pop. So yeah, I'm pretty damn happy with it. Can't wait to get a 4K projector. I most likely won't for a while because I can really only use short throws.

Here check out some pics.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

EdgeKasey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going on year 2 of projector use. No complaints. I use this. Been very happy with it and I'm only 12 feet away. Horizon was amazing on it. If you got the space and can control the amount of the light in the room you want to use I totally recommend a projector.

@casepb I also use a short throw...am also itching for 4k. You check THIS out yet?

Been debating about making the plunge.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Been using a projector occasionally to play games in a grad school dorm and I've had no noticeable issues or input lag. It's a Benq MH630.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By gamb1t

Quality comes at a price.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going on year 2 of projector use. No complaints. I use this. Been very happy with it and I'm only 12 feet away. Horizon was amazing on it. If you got the space and can control the amount of the light in the room you want to use I totally recommend a projector.

@casepb I also use a short throw...am also itching for 4k. You check THIS out yet?

Been debating about making the plunge.

Yeah I've seen a few videos on it. It seems pretty nice but I'm comfortable waiting a few years seeing what else comes out.

dartell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dartell

Remember, you have to replace the bulb which can cost a bit of cash. I think gaming is awesome on a projector. If you go big on a projector, you have to get a nice sound system. Be careful of lag too, it can suck if you are into fighting games.

cliffordbanes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Consider getting dark curtains for your walls to increase the contrast.

obese_chipmunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By obese_chipmunk

I've been lucky enough to have a basement setup with a 5.1 sound system, a plasma tv and a projector. The plasma is typically my go-to for games, although I do use the projector from time-to-time. Games with higher contrast are typically best on the plasma because the colors really pop and the blacks are very black. But any game with what I might call a "cinematic feel" is very immersive on the projector. Battlefield 1 (and BF3 and 4 for that matter - my setup is a little on the older side, going back to 2010 or 2011) gave me the same kind of feeling I felt when I saw Dunkirk in Imax. It definitely helps that Dice makes their games with sound design in mind, and the chaos of the battlefield keeps me at the edge of my seat when I play, way more so than on the plasma. Sure the picture is not as sharp and the colors not as popping, but the simple hugeness of the screen goes a long way in keeping me immersed.

I once tried playing an RTS on the projector - Company of Heroes. It wasn't great lol. Hard to read stuff and also just a general feeling of dumbness that I couldn't shake off (it felt like overkill). Then again, it wasn't great playing it on the plasma either. I had the same issue - it was hard to read the UI.

Shooters (on PC) also were difficult on the plasma for the same UI reasons. Interestingly though I never felt I had this problem while on the projector.

Bear in mind my equipment is definitely older now. Plasmas are pretty much out of circulation. The projector is 1080p and has decent brightness and it still looks great. I forgot the model. I'll look it up when I go home.

Slyddar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I built my home theatre around 4 yrs ago as a dual movie/gaming room. Mine is 110", but the screen rises and I have a 65" TV behind we use for daily viewing. Projectors are amazing for games, especially multiplayer games.

Minecraft with 4 people is really hard on a TV, but great on the projector. Same with Mario Kart, and many others. I also do most of my single player games on it, especially ones that are cinematic. Just feels like watching a movie.

If you can manage it, go got it, you won't regret it. Here's what my room looks like, and with the screen up. I built this myself, with a few mates helping, from the bare walls up. Lots of fun :D GL!

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By monkeyking1969

I used one at work form time to time. It was 1080p-ish on an 8ft screen, so decent but certainly not the best someone could do. Actually, I used this system for my PS2, PS3 and PS4. On the weekends, I played a lot of SOCOM 2 and CoD at work on our projector

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

This thread should be retitled to "want to feel like a failure?"