Playing on my new hd tv

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Djeffers03

so I just got my new 42'' which is replacing my 32'' sd tv. I popped in MW2 and started a game and to my suprise instead of doing even better due to the HD I was really struggling. I suspect I just need to get used to the screen size but I was wondering whether any of you guys had suffered any difficulties whilst playing on a new tv.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Emilio

You're just crazy. 

And Latin. 

Pix.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Snail

When I switched from a smaller 1080i TV to a 42" 1080p TV I noticed that it didn't look as clean as I expected it to work. 

I learned that bigger size does not mean better quality. The TV itself and its characteristics are what matter. If it isn't that great you're pretty much just stretching the image. It still looks amazing though, as yours undoubtedly does.

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Djeffers03
@Emilio said:
" You're just crazy.  And Latin.  Pix. "
ay?
ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By ParanoidFreak

There is such a thing as screen lag when it comes to HDTV's, but your probably just adjusting.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By HitmanAgent47

What resolution is your hdtv? is it 720p 1080p?

Cazamalos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Cazamalos

from my experience bigger hdtv's need more distance to see it "well", thats why i only brought one 46" and probably  will never buy another HDTV bigger than 36"

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Djeffers03
@HitmanAgent47: 1080p but its only in standard definition because my xbox is an old model which lacks a hdmi port unfortunately 
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Afroman269
@Djeffers03 said:
" @HitmanAgent47: 1080p but its only in standard definition because my xbox is an old model which lacks a hdmi port unfortunately  "
I think the VGA cables can allow you to output in 1080.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Diamond

I'd suggest you get your Xbox hooked up in HD res ASAP.  A lot of newer HDTVs add a lot of input lag when playing a game in SD.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Three0neFive
@Djeffers03 said:
" so I just got my new 42'' which is replacing my 32'' sd tv. I popped in MW2 and started a game and to my suprise instead of doing even better due to the HD I was really struggling. I suspect I just need to get used to the screen size but I was wondering whether any of you guys had suffered any difficulties whilst playing on a new tv. "
Sorry to tell you dude but you pretty much just threw your money down the drain. Most console games aren't even at 1280x720, and I believe MW2 is running at 640p.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Diamond
@Three0neFive said:
Sorry to tell you dude but you pretty much just threw your money down the drain. Most console games aren't even at 1280x720, and I believe MW2 is running at 640p.
Not to offend, but why are you always making so many retarded ass posts like that one?  It's all you post here, this isn't /v/...
Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Three0neFive
@Diamond said:

" @Three0neFive said:

Not to offend, but why are you always making so many retarded ass posts like that one?  It's all you post here, this isn't /v/... "
While I admit that yes, my posts do tend to have somewhat negative undertones, I'm only trying to help the guy - because, you know, it's true.  I'm sorry if this fact offends you.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 = 1024x600 (2xAA)

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iam3green

u have to play around with ur tv and console settings to get it right. i didn't have any problems when i switched. i  saw a HUGE difference between playing the two. i was like holy crap look at the graphics now.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Diamond
@Three0neFive said:
" @Diamond said:

" @Three0neFive said:

Not to offend, but why are you always making so many retarded ass posts like that one?  It's all you post here, this isn't /v/... "
While I admit that yes, my posts do tend to have somewhat negative undertones, I'm only trying to help the guy - because, you know, it's true.  I'm sorry if this fact offends you.

It's far from a waste, 1024x600 is a lot higher than 640x480, and there's lots of other games he can play besides MW2.  A HDTV also has a ton of uses other than just current gen gaming, and buying a 720p HDTV today would be a true waste.

Stop misinforming people with your idiocy.
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Emilio
@Diamond said:
" @Three0neFive said:
" @Diamond said:

" @Three0neFive said:

It's far from a waste, 1024x600 is a lot higher than 640x480, and there's lots of other games he can play besides MW2.  A HDTV also has a ton of uses other than just current gen gaming, and buying a 720p HDTV today would be a true waste.  Stop misinforming people with your idiocy. "
No, he's kinda right. I mean, I'm not even sure he's using component cables. And 720p will be the 480p standard sometime in the next few years, right after more people start buying 720+ screens. 
fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By fuzzyponken
@Djeffers03 said:

" @HitmanAgent47: 1080p but its only in standard definition because my xbox is an old model which lacks a hdmi port unfortunately  "

Dude. Sort it out.  

I don't know what types of connections there are on a 360 but there's got to be a way. Displaying 480i on a 42" LCD screen is madness.  

I almost threw up in my mouth personally when I used composite cables on my Wii to my LCD and went out and bought component cables that same hour. And that's not even a huge upgrade. 
Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Djeffers03

thanks for the responses, im planning on going the distance and buying a new xbox so it can be in hd (plus I need a bigger hard-drive), however my intended question was wether any of experience any difficuties in your gameplay when you switched tv's.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By ProfessorEss

I would just assume you're too busy staring at how absolutely awesome it looks to really concentrate on the action at hand :)

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Vinny_Says
@Djeffers03:  If you stand really close to a tv after sitting at a certain distance for a while you will suck at any game because of the perspective. It's the same effect with the new tv. You'll get used to it eventually.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MikkaQ
@Three0neFive said: 
Sorry to tell you dude but you pretty much just threw your money down the drain. Most console games aren't even at 1280x720, and I believe MW2 is running at 640p. "

Still bigger than standard def. And running anything in widescreen is obviously better. It's more space on the sides. 

Also to the OP, yeah SD things look like SHIT on an HDTV. Just plug it in with the component cables, those come with the older xboxes, like mine. They're not bad, they do 720p. 
Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Djeffers03
@XII_Sniper: oh yeah, I have done that, it doesn't look too bad but it's still nowhere near a crisp as my ps3
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By wefwefasdf
@Djeffers03 said:
"thanks for the responses, im planning on going the distance and buying a new xbox so it can be in hd (plus I need a bigger hard-drive), however my intended question was wether any of experience any difficuties in your gameplay when you switched tv's. "

You're probably experiencing a ton of input lag from using composite on a HDTV. That's probably your problem. Find a way to play at 1080p and all your problems should be solved. :)
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MikkaQ
@Djeffers03 said:
" @XII_Sniper: oh yeah, I have done that, it doesn't look too bad but it's still nowhere near a crisp as my ps3 "  

On a larger screen, no, they look kinda rough. But I have a 30" HDTV that runs 720p native, so it looks the same as the PS3, pretty much. When I bring them down to my dad's 60 incher, it looks like dump compared to PS3.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@Djeffers03: Also you could use your hdtv as a pc monitor. All pc games will output to actual 1080p, even if consoles won't, you can still get some use out of your hdtiv. Response time might not be good because it's a bit high, might have a bit of ghosting for pc games, however there are tons of pc monitors that are 1080p now. The only think you have to buy is a dvi to hdmi cable for your videocard if you have one, which would at least be good for text. It's not a complete waste imo, your hdtv still has it's uses. Also blue ray players are only like $150 these days, isn't expensive, it will also give you use for it, also hd cable if you buy a hdmi cable and connect it to a different source if your Xbox360 can't handle it. I'm saying you always have options with your hdtv and do try to use hd sources with it if your playing xbox360 with 480p resolution, it's not really ideal because it's going to look blurry. It can look really sharp if you get a 1080p source.  

About difficulty with this rez, no when I bought my hdtv before, I couldn't go back to sd resolutions anymore. You'll get used to it in a week, still try to get a hd source because your not playing games in actual HD yet. Also as the next post said, use component if you have to, it's cheaper than buying a new xbox360 and maybe the colors and sharpness isn't good as hdmi, however it's better than what your playing right now.
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Emilio
@Djeffers03 said:
" thanks for the responses, im planning on going the distance and buying a new xbox so it can be in hd (plus I need a bigger hard-drive), however my intended question was wether any of experience any difficuties in your gameplay when you switched tv's. "
You don't need to buy a new xbox, just get the component cables for it. Those are in HD, you silly guy.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MrKlorox

I had to adjust my distance until the screen area filled my preferred FOV. I usually game on my computer monitor so I'm used to having much of my visual field covered by the screen. Therefore I have to sit about 5 feet away from my 52 inch 1080p when gaming so I get the same perspective.

Try adjusting your distance.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By Bollard
@Djeffers03 said:
" thanks for the responses, im planning on going the distance and buying a new xbox so it can be in hd (plus I need a bigger hard-drive), however my intended question was wether any of experience any difficuties in your gameplay when you switched tv's. "
Dude - the only reason you are experiencing difficulties trying to play on a HDTV is because you are playing in SD! HDTVs murder SD, it looks awful. Its almost a crime to videogaming to do what you are doing haha. 

And as Emilio said, you don't need a new Xbox, you can just go get a component cable (which does up to 1080i anyway, but that looks naff so I play on 720p) and go to someplace like Cex and get a 120gb HDD second hand for £40 or so. Bam - sorted. 
JonnyAvacado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JonnyAvacado

@Emilio said:

" @Djeffers03 said:
You don't need to buy a new xbox, just get the component cables for it. Those are in HD, you silly guy. "

Yeah man, just get component cables.  Definitely the simplest way if you don't have an HDMI port.  You can find them anywhere.