Please avoid having the GOTY stuff leaked again

hoodcommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I made this thread before and it got deleted, maybe because it was made before the last video went up? But hopefully it's fine now.

The list of the winners with audio evidence was already going around the internet if you knew where to look. I got spoiled on it myself. I know it's not the biggest deal, but I'd have preferred to listen without knowing the winners days in advance. It's also bad because it cuts traffic from the website. I could swear something like this happened last year too. Surely, there's gotta be a way to prevent this from happening in the future.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, to some degree this thread seems a little unnecessary; I highly doubt anyone on the staff was unaware of the leak, and as such will likely be doing what they can to prevent it. It's sort of like saying "You guys should really do something about the spam posters". They know it's happening just as much as anyone.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure they'll do what they can..?

If the way things got out was just a weird oversight I'm sure they'll keep that in mind but if it's something more involved there's really only so much care you can put towards a list of video games.

hoodcommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode said:

I highly doubt anyone on the staff was unaware of the leak

Cool, just making sure.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

umm, they'll take it under advisement, maybe?

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ares42

Damn, just checked how they (allegedly) got leaked. Thought they would've fixed that loop-hole by now.

@efesell: If what I read is true it's a fairly easy thing to address, but at the same time it's one of those "why do we need to do this?" things. It's just an annoying piece of extra work needed. Although it does address another more "serious" security issue at the same time.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42: Yeah, when I saw that, it was pretty wild. Not as crazy as the idea that someone felt compelled to find and leak a freaking top 10 list, but still pretty crazy.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode: Well, I figured it out like three years ago. Since it apparently hasn't been fixed since then there's probably a fair few people that has been using it regularly. One of them just decided to be even more of an asshole I guess.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By liquiddragon

@ares42: How did it leak? Could you direct me to where it's talked about it? I'm curious.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42: How did it leak? Could you direct me to where it's talked about it? I'm curious.

I think the files were already uploaded and had guessable file names. Which is something that should be avoided by any uploading system.

gunflame88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People leak GOTY lists now? What, have we ran out of things to leak?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#12  Edited By BeachThunder

I assume it's this:

https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/game-of-the-year-2018-day-one-deliberations/2970-18651

https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/game-of-the-year-2018-day-two-deliberations/2970-18652

https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/game-of-the-year-2018-day-three-deliberations/2970-18653

https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/game-of-the-year-2018-day-four-deliberations/2970-18654

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By NeverGameOver

Man, I can't say I'm surprised because there are some real losers out there, but that's really pathetic and sad that someone had (1) that much time on their hands during the holidays and (2) that much of a desire to ruin things for complete strangers that they've never met.

hoodcommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the staff really don't need to go to the additional trouble of obfuscating the URLs or temporarily 403ing the content

Really? Why not? Is it too much work?

Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By Alias

What if they just put it all up at once?

This massive content drop of all the GOTY content on the Monday

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By expensiveham

@beachthunder said:

I assume it's this:

https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/game-of-the-year-2018-day-one-deliberations/2970-18651

https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/game-of-the-year-2018-day-two-deliberations/2970-18652

https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/game-of-the-year-2018-day-three-deliberations/2970-18653

https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/game-of-the-year-2018-day-four-deliberations/2970-18654

No need to even change the 'game-of-the-year-2018-day-x-deliberations'-segment. It does nothing and it's just there to make the url's look nice. For example: https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/dan-ryckerts-christmas-torture-special/2970-18665

@nevergameover said:

Man, I can't say I'm surprised because there are some real losers out there, but that's really pathetic and sad that someone had (1) that much time on their hands during the holidays and (2) that much of a desire to ruin things for complete strangers that they've never met.

You don't need to be some hacker to do this, anyone with a bit of curiosity and some basic technical know-how will just glance at the url for a second - see the unique post id and test increasing the number to access unpublished content.

@dudeglove said:

The staff really don't need to go to the additional trouble of obfuscating the URLs or temporarily 403ing the content, and even then I don't see things changing as jerks will still find a way to get around it. Their schedule is manic enough as it is.

The post have a publish date set, configuring the page not to make any posts load for non-staff members before the publish date has passed is very, very basic stuff. It's standard practice and it's baffling that a team of experienced professional developers did not consider this.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NeverGameOver

@expensiveham said: You don't need to be some hacker to do this, anyone with a bit of curiosity and some basic technical know-how will just glance at the url for a second - see the unique post id and test increasing the number to access unpublished content.

Actually, you need a mean-spirited loser, which is exactly what we got.

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@expensiveham said: You don't need to be some hacker to do this, anyone with a bit of curiosity and some basic technical know-how will just glance at the url for a second - see the unique post id and test increasing the number to access unpublished content.

Actually, you need a mean-spirited loser, which is exactly what we got.

Seems you kinda missed the point of what I wrote. Intentionally spoiling the lists to people is a dick move, I agree with you there. But your previous post seemed to insinuate that figuring out how to access unpublished content would require a lot of time and that's all I took issue with.

deckard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Really? This is where we are now? Being "spoiled" on GOTY discussions?

Here's a spoiler for GOTY 2019: They're going to choose a game that came out in 2019.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guess I’m lucky, because I have no idea where I’d bump into these leaks. On other sites discussing Giant Bomb, I guess?

Not really a thing I’d worry about getting ”spoiled” to me, but I’m sure there’s a handful of dicks who want to ruin the surprise for those that like to listen to the debates before finding out, because that’s internet for you.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glots: I follow Fobwashed on Twitter, or I wouldn't have known. I think the real shitty aspect was apparently via the subreddit, where Kotaku In Action ding dongs were sending spoilers to people via PMs. I mean, I personally wouldn't have cared, but it does bum some people put, so it was crummy to hear. But, the internet is going to internet, I suppose.

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By expensiveham

@dudeglove said:@expensiveham: i cannot claim to know what the site’s own backend CMS is like, but I do know that this site is old. I am willing to bet no such option exists - rather the only workaround they have had for a while is the ability to make things appear live on the frontend. Normally their content goes up when it’s ready and this all may just be the unfortunate byproduct of never needing that option in the first place.

You admit you don't know anything and yet you are going to double down and bet on something that's irrational and based on absolutely nothing - this is a good example of what's wrong with a lot of internet discussion.

If you looked at the RSS feeds or the API documentation you'd see that there is indeed a publish date attached to all video/audio posts. Fixing this and hiding posts should literally be a line of code comparing the posts publish date to the current date. I have a decade of experience and I've worked on a lot of sites more complex than this - trust me.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't support the leaks, obviously, but it's kinda ironic to criticize someone for having too much time on their hands during the holidays on a website where tons of people with too much free time on the holidays watch hours and hours of GOTY videos and podcasts. Also, what's wrong with having too much free time? I wish I had too much free time!

Anyway, it was just a matter of looking at the urls and changing the numbers, people don't need to be an hacker with too much free time to figure that out.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nevergameover said:

I don't support the leaks, obviously, but it's kinda ironic to criticize someone for having too much time on their hands during the holidays on a website where tons of people with too much free time on the holidays watch hours and hours of GOTY videos and podcasts. Also, what's wrong with having too much free time? I wish I had too much free time!

Anyway, it was just a matter of looking at the urls and changing the numbers, people don't need to be an hacker with too much free time to figure that out.

I don't even know how to respond to this. Keep sticking up for assholes, I guess.

Whoever leaked this did so solely for the purpose of upsetting other people. There is.... an EXTREMELY obvious difference between spending leisure time on a website about trivial entertainment for personal enjoyment and dedicating time to an activity for the sole purpose of upsetting other people. Whoever leaked this is a loser. It's not up for debate.

hoodcommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they shared the videos among friends so they could watch them earlier than the upload time, so that was the other purpose.