Please help me pick a new stealth game to master

Smeatbass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Ok, so in the last 3 months, I have gotten the platinum on all three games in the Hitman HD trilogy, also got platinum in Absolution and Hitman. I still have a few levels of professional difficulty to master in Hitman, but I'm winding down with it. What should be next for me? I'd love help.

Here's ones I've played to mark off the list:

All of the MGS games (Only platinum in MGS2)

FarCry 3 and 4

Batman (Asylum and City)

Riddick (I played the original XBox game)

Gunpoint

AC series (Not what I call stealth)

I also played half of Dishonored, but never finished it (No particular reason).

Any suggestions? I know people love them some Mark of the Ninja, Deus Ex, Invisible Inc. And Chaos Theory. Should I go to one of those, or is there a more obscure one I haven't seen? I found the first Splinter Cell game to be unplayable, but that was 15 years ago, so maybe I would have a heart change.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's funny you should ask that, as a review of the new Styx game just popped up in my you tube subscribers notifications:

Loading Video...

That's probably a lot closer to a true stealth game than some on your list. Out of the games you mentioned, I'd definitely go with Mark of the Ninja. That's a really good game, and I'm not even a fan of the stealth genre. Outside of pure stealth gameplay, Shadow of Mordor also contains some stealth elements, as does Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Smeatbass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have Styx: Master of Shadows (Got it for PS Plus). I may give that a look. I also think Shadow of Morodor is massively overrated.

I should also state that I have every system at my disposal except an Xbox One for people wondering.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked Dishonored 1 and 2 but it looks like you've already tried it.

I'll join whoever is recommending Mark of the Ninja. That's a very cool game.

Oh and also Gunpoint. It's short but very very sweet.

Smeatbass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did try Dishononeed, I just stopped because I believe Wii U came out and that took my time, not because I didn't like it.

I also have beaten Gunpoint 4 times :)

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NTM

While I wouldn't say stealth is what one thinks of when they talk about this game, The Last of Us does have stealth throughout with the human enemy encounters. I enjoyed playing it that way too. I'm just trying to recommend something that's not quite as obvious, as you have some obvious ones up there. Splinter Cell is something you should definitely give another shot, but don't skip Pandora Tomorrow. All three of the first Splinter Cell games are great. Yep, Deus Ex is good too.

section09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By section09

In a couple hours there is gonna be a quick look for Shadow Tactics: Blade of the Shogun. I suggest you hold out and watch that when it goes up. It's been out for awhile now and I've played through it already and my short review is that it's a pretty damn good stealth game.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ivdamke

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory is one of the best stealth games out there. 15 years is a long time to open your mind to new things, Chaos Theory still plays great today providing you aren't looking to shoot everyone with guns.

Blacklist is also good if you want a more modern game, but stay away from Conviction the level design is awful.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

somethingodd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know you said that the age Splinter Cell turned you off but if you're looking for stealth games, you probably want to look at the Thief games.

Smeatbass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somethingodd: Oh, no, it wasn't the age that turned me off. I played it when it was new in 2002. I just had come off the high of MGS2, and found the game unplayable at the time. I think it's because Metal Gear spoiled me. I hated Hitman 2 back in the day, but I just got the platinum on that, so I turned the corner on that (Even if the controls are awful lol).

I have Thief 2014, but people say it is hot trash. I know the original 3 Thief games are loved. They might be worth a look.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

Splinter Cell Blacklist is my favorite - and overall best - pure stealth game that doesn't revolve around hiding in plain sight (like Hitman). Conviction is also pretty damn good and has a nice feel to it.

If you're counting Far Cry and Batman, then you should also count The Last of Us, in which case that is a fantastic game too. It has more stealth than either of the previous two mentioned games, but also a fair share of action and down-time bits.

You should also check out Aragami. On top of looking real, real nice, it is actually also a good stealth game.

Smeatbass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Smeatbass

Aragami? There's a game I haven't heard of. Please go on. I'll look at info on it.

I forgot to put The Last of Us on my list. I've beaten that game 6 times lol. I love that game so much.

Smeatbass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The sad thing is I have Splinter Cell Blacklist, but on Wii U (Won it in a contest), so while I may love the game if I play it, I'm sure there is no online community to speak of to play Spies vs Mercs or Co-op which sucks.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dishonored 2.

Not that you shouldn't go back to Dishonored, but if you want to "master" a stealth game then Dishonored 2 boasts greater mechanical depth and variety, cleverer AI, the ability to refuse the mark and play powerless (which is a surprisingly competent and rewarding experience, having done it myself), and the game now has a very extensive difficulty tuning system that allows you to change a variety of things if that's up your alley.

Picky_Bugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Picky_Bugger

@paulmako: Oh man, Mark of the Ninja. I was enjoying that game so much, I actually found myself saying that it was amazing out loud to myself. But as the story progresses and you lose your sword etc it just got so bad that I never finished it. I have never been more disappointed with the second half of a game.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Another vote for the Splinter Cell series. Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory in particular are amazing games. I really wish they'd bring that series back, and that they'd make it like the first three before it became basically a TPS.