Pokemon starters typing

tbrennan4990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By tbrennan4990

As much as i love Pokemon there is something that i don't think game freak will ever do, And that's change the typing of the starters. they are all the same at the end of the day fire is a red Pokemon water is blue and grass is green.its been 5 gens. and all i want for gen.6 is 3 new starter types to mix it up. Pokemon B/W 2 was a good start the changes were awesome keep them coming.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By zeforgotten

Didn't Yellow force you to play with Pikachu as a starter?  
I can't remember that was ages ago, but meh, I've gotten used to the regular starters

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Red

They've spiced it up a bit with different type hybrids of each starter. I'm fine with the way they are now--I'll usually pick a different type with each gen--and I don't know if there are any type triangles that work quite as well as Fire, Water, and Grass, or, at the very least, are as well understood as it.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

Why mess with what works?

Spiral_Stars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Spiral_Stars

I just trade away my starter as soon as possible and start with some other dope Pokemon.

Starting the game with motherfucking Farfetch'd, anyone?

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By 49th

Pokemon doesn't change anything?! NO WAY

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I used to firmly believe that they should switch up the starting types, but I've realised the three they have just work really well. They form a good rock, paper, scissors triangle, which is good for teaching new comers how the type advantages work and they're diverse enough to be useful through-out the whole course of the game. The psychic and dark types, which are often suggested as alternatives, have a bit more of a learning curve and tend not to be as useful at the beginning. They might be great types for high-end battles, but they'd be poor starters.

Playing around with the second types seems like the best compromise. I'd really like to see a Grass/Flying, Water/Ice and well.. anything that isn't Fire/Fighting.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SamStrife

@WinterSnowblind said:

I used to firmly believe that they should switch up the starting types, but I've realised the three they have just work really well. They form a good rock, paper, scissors triangle, which is good for teaching new comers how the type advantages work and they're diverse enough to be useful through-out the whole course of the game. The psychic and dark types, which are often suggested as alternatives, have a bit more of a learning curve and tend not to be as useful at the beginning. They might be great types for high-end battles, but they'd be poor starters.

Playing around with the second types seems like the best compromise. I'd really like to see a Grass/Flying, Water/Ice and well.. anything that isn't Fire/Fighting.

The dark/fighting/psychic triangle wouldn't be bad for starters if they built the game/pokemon around that fact.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Ravenlight

Hardcore mode: Start with Magicarp.

runnah555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By runnah555

Go with the yellow one.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By AndrewB

@Ravenlight said:

That first battle with your rival would be a brutal wakeup call which you'd never be able to get past.

I've wanted different starters since the first fricking game. That's why I gamesharked in Mew as my starter way back in the day. Pokemon Yellow makes things interesting saddling you with an uncooperative Pikachu, like in the anime. Everything after that has made it at least a little more interesting with the starters evolving into a second typing, but it's just not the same.

That's one of the many things I'd like to see change in a new Pokemon game that finally bucks the tired pattern they've stuck with for 8 sets of games now, but we all know the only change would come from ripping the franchise from the hands of Game Freak.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Aegon

@Ravenlight said:

You'd have to resort to visiting the safari and then get to throwing some rocks.

Also, it's Magikarp.