• 69 results
Tomzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By Tomzombie

Quick time events suck i know developers try to inhanse the game by doing but quick time events but they are really annoying some times you do them right when the buttons say so and you fail wtf.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#52  Edited By Elazul

Extreme Action?! How could I lose?

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Pazy

My friend was going to get Ninja Blade based on the name until we got the store. Then "GAME Radio" or whatever it is (an instore radio station that plays some music and "the best" games) starts telling us how good Ninja Blade is, this put him because of the amount of generic, boilerplate words and within about 4 seconds he knew it was the blandest, dulling is possible experience possible. 

darkspirit138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54  Edited By darkspirit138

Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm had really good quick time events, cause they were hard, tense, and rewarding when you finished them. But Ninja Blade's QTE's looked pretty bad, coz it was only one thing you pressed, and you didnt lose anything for getting it wrong.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By penguindust

Forget "QTE", I'd like to ask if anyone making games understands what a ninja is.  From Naruto or Ninja Blade, the portrayal of these silent assassins would have Sho Kosugi rolling in his grave....is he dead?  Either way, the only use of the word "extreme" to describe a ninja should be "extremely stealthy".  It's as if Dan Cortez 's mojo has transformed the clandestine shadow warrior into a Mountain Dew ad.

Abs_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By Abs_B

i Have Always wondered if anyone else knew the exisitance of Hologram Time Traveler, I had started to doubt it's existance when every person I had told about the game said they never heard of it, and there was no written accounts of it anywhere on the internet, Even a PS2 incarnation of the game was releassed and Official PS2 Magazine UK gave it a 0/10 score which had me in stiches when I saw the review, but now I can prove it truly exists!!! Thank You GiantBomb for giving me the ammo I  need to damage the reputation of Hologram Time Traveler  for futue gamers who should never have to encounter it!!!!

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#57  Edited By tebbit

Well, I DO like extreme action... it's got me sold.

composite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By composite

Quick time events can be clever ways to integrate gameplay into cinematics, keeping the experience intense and lessening the disjoint between cinematic and gameplay. Quick time events, used wrong, only emphasize and heighten the separation between those two game elements, forcing the player to act in a situation when they wouldn't have expected to, or worse, becoming the focus of the cinematic, where the cinematic is only a hollow vessel for the quick time event to inhabit. The Ninja Blade quick look is a perfect example: the QTE where the player has to dodge easily takes more time than the actual gameplay when you stack up total time spent in the "dodge QTE cinematic". Devil May Cry handles the dodge problem by creating gameplay where the player actually dodges, because the developers know that dodging in a action game is a pretty common experience. Poor use of QTE is when they take prevalence over the main genre of gameplay that the game uses: a bazillion QTEs in a game where that is the main gameplay mechanic is fine (Dragon's Lair), but don't make them a focus of what otherwise is not QTE driven game. Then it's just annoying. 

Nitrocore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Nitrocore

QTE's are nothing more than a interactive cutscene and should only be used to create a sence of excitement or sudden change of pace. They worked well in Shenmue because they altered your progression in small ways, and you felt like you were actually achieving somthing, they wern't all fun but they certainly made a change from saying "I see" every 5 minutes. Seeing them in Ninja Blade and Resident evil 5 cheapens the idea and makes the whole thing feel more like an inconvience than a event, your only options are, do it right or die, or repeat the sequence again till you get it right.

PositivelyGreg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By PositivelyGreg

Quality Takes Effort.

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#61  Edited By Keeng

The Quick Time Event is another one of those things that people started to hate because it became popular. There are still awesome games with incredible QTE sequences. People who scoff at them calling them "cliche" are mostly doing it because that's the popular thing to do these days, especially on the internet. The web has certain rules like that and here are a few:

• You must hate Quick Time Events.
  • If an utterly amazing game is released, a game that perhaps re-defines an entire genre bringing about an era of similar games (which also end up being wildy successful themselves), then the sequel to said game must be totally different from the original. Simply improving every single aspect of the game or doing foolish things like, say, making the sequel better than its predecesor, does not constitute a good sequel.
  • You must hate JRPGs, the PSP, and virtually any game that's not shooter, a DS title, or a western RPG. 
TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#62  Edited By TheHBK
Diamond said:
"Me and my friends all know what QTE are.  My friend and I joked about it yesterday while playing RE5 coop.Not a big fan of QTE, they're fucking everywhere these days too.Shenmue did them best because they had branching QTE, so if you messed up on an event or two, the entire event might change."

Oh yeah, now I remember, that is how to do QTEs, you didn't always fail if you missed one, which happens too much in these games and makes them boring cutscenes.  I remember letting some pass just to see what would happen, that is how you do a QTE, if chasing down a guy you could miss a button and you would just trip but see the chase continue.  It was great.
PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#63  Edited By PhilESkyline

I saw a Shenmue picture and got excited...please don't do this again :(

xionpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#64  Edited By xionpunk

God of War does it the best.  Remember killing the Hydra in the first one?  Awesome.

deadmonkeys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By deadmonkeys

Quick Time Events exist because people bitched about cut scenes. I wonder what will happen when people bitch about Quick Time Events. (More cut scenes?)

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#66  Edited By vigorousjammer

oh man, did Brad really just said Dragon's Lair was no good? cmon' the game was amazing for it's time, and incredibly innovative.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#67  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Keeng said:

" The Quick Time Event is another one of those things that people started to hate because it became popular. There are still awesome games with incredible QTE sequences. People who scoff at them calling them "cliche" are mostly doing it because that's the popular thing to do these days, especially on the internet. The web has certain rules like that and here are a few:

• You must hate Quick Time Events.
  • If an utterly amazing game is released, a game that perhaps re-defines an entire genre bringing about an era of similar games (which also end up being wildy successful themselves), then the sequel to said game must be totally different from the original. Simply improving every single aspect of the game or doing foolish things like, say, making the sequel better than its predecesor, does not constitute a good sequel.
  • You must hate JRPGs, the PSP, and virtually any game that's not shooter, a DS title, or a western RPG. 
"

It has nothing to do with QTE's "being popular".  I enjoyed them when they were done in Shenmue, but since then they've only been used as ways to make big flashy combat scenes, with as little gameplay as possible. When games use QTE's instead of actual boss fights, it ruins the feeling of actually fighting the boss.  Force Unleashed was very guilty of this, and that was one of the aspects of the game that really ruined it for me, aside from the first level as Darth Vader and the scene where you have to pull the Star Destroyer down, it never once felt like you were playing as an ultra powerful Jedi.

I'm very glad developers seem to have caught on though, the guys who are making Arkham Asylum have said there are no QTE's and all the boss fights are proper encounters.

I don't understand most of your list though, that kind of attitude can be applied to Halo and even things like Final Fantasy..  But jRPG's have become hated in recent years due to their totaly lack of innovation.  I'm sure many people still enjoy them, but they're no different than they were back on the SNES.  I don't think every single game and genre needs to reinvent themselves, but jRPG's inparticular feel very dated nowadays, and it doesn't help that the typical PS3/360 owner in the west doesn't like anime - which again, has nothing to do with its popularity.  I also don't see how the PSP is popular enough to hate, but the DS isn't.
ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#68  Edited By ZeroCast

Why the fuck did you people bump this thread?
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By penguindust
@ZeroCast said:

" Why the fuck did you people bump this thread? "

That's what I was wondering.  Stephen Totillo doesn't even work for MTV anymore.  He's been over at Kotaku for at least a month.
chewii101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#70  Edited By chewii101

Sick of QTEs. Either some developer integrates them into a game in an innovative way or just dump them all please. 

Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Sabata

I think it's weirder that they advertise quick-time events as a good part of the game when they CLEARLY AREN'T.