Possibly the darkest and most hate-fueled blog I've ever written.

• 110 results
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#51  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Unknown_Pleasures:

*looks it up for platform* Oh, the PS2. Are those games dirt cheap yet? Can I walk into GameStop and pick the game up for $7? Tell me when that day comes, and I'll buy TimeSplitters.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Karl_Boss

You could probably pick of the game for really cheap....though it would be kind of pointless now that the online servers were shut off (talking about Timesplitters: Future Perfect which IMO is the best in the series by far).....the multiplayer was the best part about it, I mean you could still play with bots but the bots are fucking stupid.....the campaign isn't too bad either though and the challenge an arcade modes are fun....so its still worth a purchase even without multiplayer.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Unknown_Pleasures:

Wait, the multiplayer's completely dead? Was there no local split-screen or something? That would be extremely weird, especially considering that only the Xbox had decent online of the three systems back in...whenever the hell the game was released.
Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I started reading this with the full intention of finishing it, but I genuinely fell asleep - studying all day has melted my circuitry. To prove it wasn't a slight on your blog, I will return here with an appropriate comment on your musings tomorrow.

'Til then!
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Karl_Boss
@Video_Game_King: I meant the online multiplayer servers, you can still play split-screen or against bots....and the online had a decent following on Xbox Live for a very long time, even when they decided to shut down the servers there were still quite a few regulars playing it....I played it on Xbox Live for quite a few years and made a name for myself, I would consider myself one of the top 15 or so players at the time I was playing and was in a really good clan, we destroyed people even when outnumbered.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#56  Edited By EpicSteve

SpongeBob is hilarious. The show doesn't give a fuck. It's good stuff.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By napalm
@Video_Game_King: Dude, how the fuck do you type so goddamn much every week? Jesusfuck, man.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Video_Game_King
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#59  Edited By Hailinel

But they didn't market GoldenEye as a remake.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Hailinel said:
The gaming press did, and that's bad enough.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Hailinel
@Video_Game_King said:
@Hailinel said:
The gaming press did, and that's bad enough.
That's not really the developer's fault.  They made it pretty clear that the game is a reimagining.  Even the press came around on that eventually.  And the game is actually fun and and plays well, so to rag on the game due to an inconsequential label being placed on it is a little petty.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Hailinel:

But I didn't, or at least I don't think I did. Hell, I'll quote myself.

@Video_Game_King said:
So this game sucks ass and stains the perfect name of a Rare classic, right?

No. Stop thinking like that. If anything, I'm just telling you how incredibly different it is from that one game with the same name.
Besides, I said that I liked the game. Sure, banker's aren't good villains and Half-Life 2 has made it impossible for me to play a console FPS ever again, but the stealth can be good and it knows how people want to shoot virtual people.
Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#63  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
@rebgav: No, it's all over. They are very aware that pretty much everyone under the age of 17 has regular exposure to the show. It's dumb as shit though.
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#64  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I respect your opinion but I will defend my spongy, cartoon friend to the death.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

@Video_Game_King: It's not really about time travel, more time-trial. At least, in the story mode anyway. The (split-screen) multiplayer was where a lot of people got their fix, but since my brothers and sister don't like console FPS games I never dove into the multiplayer.

You could play as a robocop monkey. It was a lot like Perfect Dark (a Rare FPS I have played), I.E. the aiming was pretty touchy.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Gamer_152:

Then defend it. Defend that episode I posted a page ago. I don't see how it could be done.

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1

I'm not sure how to interpret half that post. Robocop Monkey sounds like the type of quick cash-in bullshit you know you'd some obscure company would ship direct to DVD.
Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#67  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

...okay. 

Also this was pretty awesome. 

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Video_Game_King
@TheDudeOfGaming:

Wait, that's something I would say. Are you in my mind? GET OUT OF MY MIND!!! *bashes head against wall in attempt to dislodge you from my mind*
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
@Video_Game_King said:
@Gamer_152: Then defend it. Defend that episode I posted a page ago. I don't see how it could be done.
With all due respect Mr. Game_King I think that would waste both your time and mine. While I'd argue that some Spongebob episodes are definitely better than others, in general I think the cartoon and its characters have an amiable and unique quirkiness and charm, which is a view we don't seem to share, and I believe holding that view to begin with is almost fundamental for enjoying any Spongebob episode. This is just an area where we disagree.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Hailinel
@Gamer_152 said:
@Video_Game_King said:
@Gamer_152: Then defend it. Defend that episode I posted a page ago. I don't see how it could be done.
With all due respect Mr. Game_King I think that would waste both your time and mine. While I'd argue that some Spongebob episodes are definitely better than others, in general I think the cartoon and its characters have an amiable and unique quirkiness and charm, which is a view we don't seem to share, and I believe holding that view to begin with is almost fundamental for enjoying any Spongebob episode. This is just an area where we disagree.
It's a cartoon for kids about a lunatic talking sponge.  Where is the room for debate?
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Gamer_152:

I can and will argue you on those points:

• Amiable. Well, I think I destroyed that.
  • Unique. Half the episodes are "SpongeBob and Squidward are at the Krusty Krab; Squidward hates his job, I hate SpongeBob, and Mr. Krabs hates spending money."
  • Quirky. I feel I've seen quirkier, although I can't point out where. Maybe Cho Aniki?
  • Charm. That's one of the worst things about the show. It tries to shove this cutesy charm down your throat at every turn, thinking that you're just gonna fucking love this cute little sponge. I don't. You need to do things to make me like him. Otherwise, he's annoying and completely unlikable as a character.
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
@Video_Game_King: Okay, if you really wish to discuss this then the reason I like Spongebob and the reason I find him charming is because he's a very kind and cheerful, but very naive character shoved into a world which is obviously somewhat more serious than he is. He doesn't always understand what's going on around him and his personality often clashes with that of the cynical Squidward or the greedy Mr. Krabs, but he comes out of situations smiling when many around him seem far less optimistic. As for the uniqueness of the show, I think you're confusing uniqueness with complexity, but I'm not saying it's the most quirky or unique thing around, just that I love the weird individuality of the world within the cartoon. He's a sentient sponge who lives in an underwater pineapple! One of his best friends is an aggressive Texan squirrel who wears a spacesuit and lives in a giant glass dome!

As I said though we're not going to agree on this and when it comes down to it we're not really the target audience for the cartoon anyway.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Gamer_152:

Kind and cheerful? Did you read paragraph 6? He burned a person's house down. That's not kind nor cheerful. At times, it goes beyond simply not understanding the world around him and ventures into criminal territory. He could probably kill a character and come out of it smiling. Also, the...screw it. I'll just end it there, because I listed a bunch of reasons to discredit you. However, on your "weird individuality" thing, I'll just point you in the direction of Regular Show, a cartoon that can pull off shit like this:

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By QuistisTrepe

Portable games based off of kids cartoons are shovelware, thanks for this bombshell. I feel so much more informed now.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Video_Game_King
@QuistisTrepe:

Again, I just used that as an excuse for a six paragraph diatribe ending in the darkest "fan" fic ever.
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#76  Edited By Brendan

I find it weird that so many people in these comments seem to really like a kids cartoon show.  And I don't mean out of nostalgia because they watched it as kids.  I mean someone people seem to actively enjoy this children's cartoon.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#77  Edited By JJWeatherman

Congratz, you've mastered the art of provocative titles.

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By QuistisTrepe
@Video_Game_King said:
@QuistisTrepe: Again, I just used that as an excuse for a six paragraph diatribe ending in the darkest "fan" fic ever.
I'm just fucking with you. You must really have the patience of a saint to sit through all of that. And I thought playing through Saga Frontier was torturous. Nice write up by the way, keep them coming.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Brendan:

It's not all that weird for people to like children's cartoon shows. After all, I openly love Adventure Time and Regular Show, and I wish that Robotomy was still on the air. However, I do agree with you that it's hard to understand how people actively enjoy this cartoon.
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
@Video_Game_King: Well, we disagree on the quality of Spongebob but I don't think that really discredits me. Anywho, like I say, it's a kid's cartoon, if Spongebob can burn down some guy's house and it not be a big deal it's because it's a cartoon, nothing more, nothing less.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Gamer_152:

It being a cartoon doesn't really excuse it, though. That would be like saying that it's OK for a game like Fragile Dreams to have Duke Nukem levels of tits and blood, because, after all, it's just a video game.

@JJWeatherman said:
Congratz, you've mastered the art of provocative titles.
And it was also pretty damn accurate. Victories for me.
FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#82  Edited By FesteringNeon

I remember getting baked back in the day and watching the Spongebob movie. It was one of the greatest moments of my life, even though it was simply simpleton.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Video_Game_King
@bukkookkub:

I remember doing this. Unfortunately, the video was removed from YouTube, and there aren't any good substitutes.
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
@Video_Game_King: If I'm understanding you correctly this isn't an artistic issue you have with Spongebob's criminal actions, it's a moral one. Again, with all due respect, I don't think Spongebob Squarepants is actually going to encourage any child to commit criminal activity.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Gamer_152:

If you're taking that from my "tits and blood" comment, I was just using that as an example of a debasing stereotype used to resign one's self to mediocrity. Although, yea, I'm not really a fan of the fact that a kid's show has you rooting for a protagonist when the Death Note parody makes them far more likable than anything they're actually doing in the show right now.
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
@Video_Game_King: Okay, if we are talking about whether it's okay to have Spongebob playing out these kinds of hijinks from a creative standpoint then I don't think this is comparable with the Duke Nukem example. Spongebob is a wacky, nonsensical show, anything crazy or destructive he does is in a light-hearted manner. Fragile Dreams on the other hand is a T-rated game which is far more sombre and solemn than Spongebob and Duke Nukem is a crass, in-your-face, vulgar action game. Duke Nukem-type action in Fragile Dreams would completely break the tone of the game, while wacky destruction in Spongebob doesn't. Again though, I like/liked the cartoon, you don't, and that's not going to change.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Gamer_152:

The point I was trying to make was that "it's just a cartoon" is not a valid excuse. You have to give me reasons to like a character, and destroying the lives of everybody who doesn't like you is not a good way to get me to like a character. Actually, in something more complex, that could be a decent perspective from which to write a character, especially if the person writing it was aware that such a controlling personality is not something to be desired. However, since this is a piece of crap kid's show that died some time ago, that's not the case.
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
@Video_Game_King: Well I've stated the reasons for which I liked Spongebob, other qualities about Spongebob obviously keep you from liking him and that's fine. You act like Spongebob acts with hostility though, he's naive, he's innocent, even if he's an annoyance for Squidward and occasionally Mr. Krabs he's not trying to destroy their lives, he's a happy cartoon sponge.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Gamer_152:

That's exactly what the damn sponge wants you to think, though. After all, if he comes off as cute and naïve, then it's harder to consider him a reckless sociopath. I direct you to my comment from earlier: the top dog one. Squidward finally becomes happy and enjoyable, and SpongeBob just loses his shit FOR NO REASON. He's not concerned with having meaningful friendships or the joy of others; he just wants everybody to worship his square sponge nuts.
jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#90  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Yeah I remember Spongebob being pretty awesome back in the day. I haven't watched it in years but I've heard people saying its not that good anymore. I do remember having this one Spongebob video game based on the movie for the PC. It was actually half good, cause it was like an adventure game with puzzles and item collecting and shit.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
@Video_Game_King: This has gotten weeeeird, I think I'm gonna stop posting in this thread now. Keep on truckin' Video_Game_King.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Video_Game_King
@wasteguru:

How the hell does that work? SpongeBob and Patrick didn't have a lot of trouble solving the few adventure game-y problems in the film.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Gamer_152:

You mean it wasn't weird when I had Mr. Krabs slit his throat? Then what the hell is that?
YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By YoThatLimp
@crusader8463 said:
I like Spongebob. I remember going to the movies with a girl I liked to watch the Spongbob movie back in college.
She was 8, wasn't she?
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#95  Edited By ArbitraryWater

You know, I used to really like Spongebob back when I was the appropriate age. Of course, that was when the series was actually clever instead of ultimately retarded like it is now for most of the reasons that managed to read from that appropriate section. I thought that Death Note mashup was pretty funny, for what your pain is worth.

Eh, the thing is that original N64 Goldeneye doesn't hold up well at all. Of course they had to make it just like Call of Duty, that's all Activision knows how to do at this point in regards to First Person Shooters.  It apparently turned out alright though, considering that I would almost guarantee that at this point people care more about the game than they do the movie.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#96  Edited By penguindust

I read this specifically for the page long diatribe on Spungebob.  I must say, after reading the bit about Asian stereotypes, I will never look at the show the same way again.  Still, "Atlantis Squarepantis" is the turning point in my mind where the series went from being fun to abysmal. 

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Video_Game_King
@PenguinDust:

Really? That's the turning point? Even though most of the episodes I cited in that diatribe came before that piece of shit 30 minute special that somehow got some video games?

@ArbitraryWater

It doesn't? Again, I feel very tempted to go back to it to prove everybody wrong, but I can't. You'll barely understand why in my next blog. But still, I played it somewhat recently (within several months), and it was still awesome.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Karl_Boss

With everyone @replying you, you are probably getting a shit ton of PMs.....two PMs for every comment.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Unknown_Pleasures:

Given how often I blog, I've grown used to it. Yes, even for huge blogs like these.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Karl_Boss

People just don't understand that you already get PMs without @replying.....@replying just makes you get two PMs....I figured this out after I began blogging a little more than I use to.