Post VR Stream survey - would you recommend it?

• 55 results
Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Poll Post VR Stream survey - would you recommend it? (491 votes)

Yes, I would recommend a friend purchase one right now 5%
No, I wouldn't recommend a friend purchase one right now 69%
I'm all about that Hololens 2%
Show me the answers 24%

So the 12hr marathon has concluded and I think we all got a pretty good taste of what the leading brand of VR has to offer. Obviously these are very early goings and a lot of software and tools will improve over time. That said, with all that hype surrounding the launch of Occulus and now a very real look at what this thing can do and what they have to offer for the price of entry, I started wondering: If asked by a friend who wanted to get one, would you recommend they purchase it at this point in time or not? This decision can either be based solely on what was on offer during the stream or a promise of what the future will hold, the choice is yours, but I'm really curious how many people would favorably endorse this product now that it's out.

• 
stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 4

The tech. clearly works, and I'm excited for its potential (I have pre-order on PSVR), but the Oculus launch line-up seemed pretty poor. The only stuff in the stream that looked worth playing for more than 20-30 mins looked as though it didn't really benefit from VR (e.g. the Zelda-ish game [can't remember its name], AirMech), or was hampered by the screen resolution (e.g. Project CARS). The only thing that really stood out to me was the hacking game Jeff played, but I don't think its something I'd want to play in VR.

Give it a year and re-evaluate, but the price with the current games line-up seems like a bad deal to me.

iggypoptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

I don't have many friends with PCs in general, so no. I'm still getting my Rift though (listen I NEED to watch anime in a virtual movie theater). A lot of the shit they were doing looked rad and as someone who never messed with the DKs it'll still have that novelty to me.

I think PSVR will be the one to rec to people tbh. I think in these early days there's not enough content to justify a $1500 purchase to someone w/o a dank rig, but PSVR is only $400 for the millions of people with PS4s already (most of my friends). Hopefully by the time the PSVR drops there will be more content. It's going to be a strange trip! The tech is finally there more or less, now it's just up to devs to find out what the killer app will be. Maybe I should dig into Unity...

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

needs more games and software...

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#54  Edited By NeverGameOver

I watched almost the whole stream. I would recommend that my friend wait until all of the headsets have been released and that he try each of them so that he can compare the experiences and launch lineups before making a purchase. Further, I would recommend that if he was to choose Oculus, he should wait for and get the touch controllers because those seem like a critical component.

It really boggles my mind that so many people are dismissing VR as a whole based on a 2D STREAM of the LAUNCH LINEUP of ONE of the THREE primary headsets that are coming out.

ds9143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Not impressed, too many ways to break immersion. For cockpit games only IMHO.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#56  Edited By Humanity

@nevergameover: I made the poll purposefull binary as a way of judging people's reaction to this product in the heat of the moment so to speak. This wasn't meant to judge the possible future or evolution of VR as a whole, but more of a temperature reading from a purely sales driven perspective. This company released a product and obviously expects (and hopes) people to buy it - based on everything they've said and everything we have seen of what it costs and what it realistically can offer as of right now would you be compelled to buy it or recommend that someone else do so. Most potential customers will only be able to judge whether they buy it or not from these sort of showcases, in 2D, warts and all because how else are they going to experience it? Unless you went to the trade shows and tried Oculus first hand, most will be going in blind.

So yes I agree the choices are limited and don't reflect the potential growth of the product, but that was never the point, and neither was writing VR off completely.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#57 fisk0  Moderator

Not right now. Not because of the launch games however, but because of the price.

RiotControl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I wouldn't care how great the initial launch of VR was. I am not being an early adopter of VR because I know it's going to continue to DRAMATICALLY improve, but more importantly, the ideas of creators are going to also dramatically change, evolve and begin the process of perfecting experiences on VR. That could mean one or multiple genres are "nailed" on VR or it just becomes much easier for developers to experiment with new ideas because the groundwork has been laid. There's also the possibility of hardware completely changing over the first and second generations and who knows how demanding future VR games will be on your PC. (The compatible PC prices are already steep)

I wouldn't even consider being a second generation adopter. Think of all the non-gaming industries who are adapting to VR at a much slower pace than the video game industry. (Including one particular industry... if you're into that sort of thing... *cough*) Those industries will likely suggest new features they currently haven't even thought of.