10. Nier: Automata
Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I guess I'll chime in. I'm gonna keep it short, tho.

1. Yakuza Kiwami/Yakuza 0: If SEGA were to bring the rest of the franchise to PS4, I wouldn't mind. GOTY for me.
2. Everybody's Golf: Charming game that I only play solo due to the microtransactions in multiplayer. Despite that, this may be my favorite non-sim golf game.
3. Nier Automata: I like games that deal with themes this game tackles. It's a little bloated, but one of the greats.
4. Night in the Woods: The fact that I so easily identify with a main character like Mae is really scary and kinda brilliant.
5. Mass Effect Andromeda: It's an above average third person shooter and an above average open world game. Even if its many elements don't come together too well, I enjoyed the hell out of it.
6. Persona 5 (didn't finish): It's no Persona 4 and I take issue with some story elements, it nonetheless gives me a good insight into Japanese culture like the Yakuza games. I didn't finish this one, but still have it on my list.
7. Prey: I didn't like it at first, but this one really grew on me. It's one of those games that requires a second playthrough to enjoy (for me at least).
8. Brutal Doom v.21: Yeah, a mod is on my list, whatcha gonna do about it? In fact, this mod is still in beta and I'm still gonna put it on my list. There!
9. Hellblade: It has a brilliant representation of psychosis, which is both its biggest strength and weakness. I'd still recommend playing it.
10. Resident Evil 7: This one falls apart at the end, but I really enjoyed its first 2/3rds.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Just three since I don't buy a lot of new games and I wouldn't say that Mass Effect Andromeda and For Honor are GOTY contenders:

1. Senran Kagura: Estival Versus (Steam version) - Naked cartoon pussy aside, as much as I tried to challenge my opinion with NieR: Automata which is "objectively" the better game, my love for Ikkitousen is like a truck and I am so fuckin' glad that the DLC is no longer exclusive to Japan. The hype was so real.

2. NieR: Automata - Kinda sucks that it isn't as optimized as Bayonetta or Metal Gear Rising without FAR, but getting to ending E has been a hell of a journey that I'll gladly take again.

3. Destiny 2 - I'm glad that I took the plunge despite my uncertainties from reading all of the negativity surrounding this game and the first one. After playing the PC beta in August, the wait for the PC release was kinda brutal, but it as worth it since the game met my expectations of being a mechanically decent shooter. Warframe is a similar and free alternative, but it just doesn't scratch the same itch after 150 hours across multiple versions of the game.

Games I would put on my GOTY list if I played them:

1. Zelda: Breath of the Wild - I'm down for playing a Zelda game that finally changes the formula.

2. Persona 5 - I really like Persona 4.

3. Wolfenstein II - If DOOM 2016 is an indication of what modern Id does these days, then I'll certainly catch up on the modern Wolfenstein games.

4. Nioh - Dark Souls plus Japanese stuff. I'm down.

5. Tales of Berseria - I usually give the 'Tales of' a lot of shit for looking like the most generic and anime-ass weeaboo catering JRPGs, as some of them truly deserve the criticism. But, the demo for Berseria kinda has me interested in trying one of these games first hand since I sometimes forget that some anime-ass anime games can be amusing in moderation. Velvet seems kinda cool.

6. Prey - Just for something that's out of my wheelhouse of more straightforward games.
stise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

1. Cuphead

2. Breath of the Wild

3. Super Mario Odyssey

4. Getting Over It

5. Battle Chef Brigade

6. Tekken 7

7. Everybody's Golf

8. Snipperclips

9. Resident Evil 7

10. Doki Doki Literature Club

frustratedlnc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By frustratedlnc
  1. Super Mario Odyssey
  2. What Remains of Edith Finch
  3. Mario Plus Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
  4. Horizon: Zero Dawn
  5. Resident Evil VII
  6. Middle Earth: Shadow of War
  7. Assassins Creed: Origins
  8. Zelda: BoTW
  9. GangBeasts
  10. Player Unknown's Battlegrounds

HM: Tekken 7, Nioh, and Nex Machina

zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 18

For a year that seem to have so many great games, I have surprisingly only played 6 of them.... well, 7, but the 7th was so bad, i don't want it on my list. I actual came here to look over other people's list in case i had forgotten something.... i did not.

1. LoZ: BotW
  2. Steam world dig 2
  3. Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment
  4. ME: A
  5. Chroma Squad
  6. Poochy and Yoshi's Woolly world
cozmicdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By cozmicdad
MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

In no particular order:

Assassin's Creed Origins

Fate/Grand Order

Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns

Persona 5

Nier: Automata

My full list is here.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#59  Edited By Dogma

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

2. Super Mario Odyssey

3. Doki Doki Literature Club

4. Persona 5

5. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

6. Steamworld Dig 2

7. What Remains of Edith Finch

8. Cuphead

9. Sonic Mania

10. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Ezekiel

Meh.

• Didn't finish Nioh.
  • Didn't finish RE7. Borrring.
  • Didn't finish Cuphead.
  • Didn't finish The Evil Within 2. Going semi-open world was a mistake, and Mikami's absence is noticeable.
  • Didn't finish Hollow Knight.
  • Sonic Mania was kind of a letdown.
  • Nier: Automata wasn't great. Too easy. Too many i-frames.
  • Liked Echo, but could have been better.
  • Vanquish was mediocre and a drag.
  • Bayonetta was okay. Devil May Cry 3 was a lot better.
  • Hellblade was baaad.
  • Quite enjoyed Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment

So it's Specter of Torment, I guess. I haven't played the console exclusives, but very few of them interest me anyway.

OHNOgc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It turns out I didn't play as many new games this year as I thought I did, so I can't go to 10. Still going to try to get to Yakuza 0 and maybe something else before the end of the year, so the list will change.

1. Zelda: Breath of the Wild. As much as I like and respect the Zelda series, I'm not terribly big on playing them, but this one changed that. Haven't had as much fun playing a game like this in quite some time.
  2. Super Mario Odyssey. This may have unseated all previous Mario games for me for being the best, which is saying a lot. But I can't say that definitively, as I haven't had much interest in the post game, which is where most of the content actually is.
  3. Nier: Automata. I'm not sure I like having this as high on the list on its own merits; its true that certain portions of the game drag, and I played it on the PC which relies on a fan-made patch to run smoothly (and I do count performance issues against a game). Still, this game was a lot of fun to play, and it does hit hard in the feels. Also, it has probably the best soundtrack this year, in a year of very stiff competition in that category.
  4. Persona 5. Preordered the moment it was available, played it to completion (NG+, full compendium, all social links, etc, twins beaten on Hard). It's a great entry in the series...but it didn't quite hit the high notes as well as Persona 4; the story and characters didn't resonate as much with me. Also I still find it really dumb that Atlus went to incredible lengths to prevent streams and uploads of its games content, presumably to hide spoilers? As if that's something they actually have any real control over?
  5. Divinity: Original Sin 2. Possibly the best writing in a RPG this year. Got very invested in its story and characters, and the battle system was fun for a time. It does have its flaws though...I do think Act 1 was strongest, then kind of whittles down over the next few acts. I eventually got tired of fighting battles and wanted to finish the companion quests and main story, so I sped through it and skipped a bunch of sidequests. Also don't care for how the game balances levels and gear, or the difficulty modes. Also has a lot of bugs. The game does a lot of great things for the genre, but I'm not sure if I want to be a completionist with this one, or simply move onto DOS1, or other games in the genre (Baldur's Gate, NWN, etc).
  6. Fire Emblem Warriors. Technically my first musou, and man did it hook me in. I didn't think I'd get as much out of playing it as I did, but I'm over 50 hours in and plan on sinking another 50 hours in - just waiting on DLC. Story is basic, support convos could have been fleshed out more, and the roster could have been more varied. There are indeed too many sword users, but its true that a lot of the main characters in their games are, well, sword users.
  7. FFXIV: Stormblood. I actually gave FFXIV a third chance this year, playing my 1.0 character that hadn't had much progress in the 2.0 MSQ. And well...everything else that I had been doing in the months of July through October had become a complete blur; I played this game every chance I got. Stormblood's story is good, I think (and is still ongoing), but it didn't quite hit the highs that Heavensward's 3.X did, and still leaves something to be desired. The last fight was great (Royal Menagerie). Taking a break, going to return in 4.2 and probably try to make a relic.
  8. Sonic Mania. Finally a proper return to form for Sonic, great new levels and music, but unfortunately it seems that I'm not much for Sonic games anymore.
  9. Danganronpa V3. Another good entry in the series for Danganronpa, story and characters hooked me in and there's some hard hitting feels, but the ending is polarizing, and I'm on the side of it being kinda bad. The fandom also loves Kokichi, while I couldn't stand him the majority of the time, and since he plays a strong role in the game, it did make it grating to play through.

Other games that I want to get to: Ys VIII (waiting on the PC release), Everybody's Golf, Steamworld Dig 2, Cuphead, Wolfenstein II, Fire Emblem Echoes

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

@ezekiel: what's your top ten worst games of the year

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

1. Samus Returns
  2. Prey

And that's it. I believe the only other 2017 games I played were Hob and Styx:SoD, but I did not like those as much as I hoped.

echasketchers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#64  Edited By echasketchers

My list isn't completely final but the top five are basically a lock:

1. Nier: Automata
2. Persona 5
3. Resident Evil 7
4. Hollow Knight
5. Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus
6. Metroid: Samus Returns
7. Butterfly Soup
8. The Mario
9. Life is Strange: Before the Storm
10. What Remains of Edith Finch

Some of those might shuffle around. This has been the year where I've played a lot of games with the most emotional impact for some reason. Like, I wish I could put AC: Origins on the list but it was just a really damn good Assassin's Creed game at the end of the day.

Edit: Just Finalized my list https://www.giantbomb.com/profile/drachmalius/lists/my-top-ten-games-of-2017/361361/

StevenWallaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Nier Automata
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  3. Super Mario Odyssey
  4. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
  5. Horizon: Zero Dawn
  6. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
  7. Splatoon 2
  8. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
  9. Cuphead
  10. Sonic Mania
ItsaCorey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By ItsaCorey

1. Dark Souls 3 - Although I finished this game in a previous year, the DLC brought me back into it in a very big way. The PvP Arena is quite addicting.

2. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds / Fortnite: Battle Royale - I love some one vs. ninety-nine.

3. Zelda: Breath of the Wild - A masterfully crafted game, except for the inexcusable performance on Wii U.

4. Nioh - Filled the void left by the lack of a new Souls game.

5. Horizon: Zero Dawn - I have yet to finish this game, but I've enjoyed the 10 or so hours I've played of it.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Ry_Ry

I've still got some moving around to do, but here is where things currently stand:

1. Universal Paperclips (PC)
  2. Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
  3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
  4. PREY (Xbox One)
  5. The Shrouded Isle (PC)
  6. Destiny 2 (PS4)
  7. Splatoon 2 (Switch)
  8. Sonic Mania (Switch)
  9. Just Dance 2018 (Switch)
  10. Picross S (Switch)

Still in contention:

1. Player Unknowns Battlegrounds (PC)
  2. Slime Rancher (Xbox One / PC)
  3. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch)
  4. DOOM (Switch)
  5. Stardew Valley (Switch)
  6. Star Fox 2 (SNES Classic)
  7. Dark Souls III DLC (PC)
  8. Just Dance 2018 (Wii)
  9. Just Dance Now (Apple TV)
Avatar image for deactivated-629e884eb03d8
deactivated-629e884eb03d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Games I actually played

1. Assassin's Creed Origins

2. Persona 5

3. Horizon Zero Dawn

4. Destiny 2

Games I thought looked most interesting / Enjoyed watching others play

5. Divinity: Original Sin II

6. Wolfenstein II

7. NieR: Automata

8. Cuphead

9. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

10. PUBG

LavenderGooms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#70  Edited By LavenderGooms

I've kind of grown to love writing up game of the year lists, entirely due to this site and the discussions they have. It makes me think about the games I play in more detail after i've finished them, and to look at them critically. It's also nice to feel like i'm getting better at writing over time.

My List

Avatar image for porkchopexpress
PorkChopExpress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Persona 5
  2. Injustice 2
  3. Fortnite
  4. Horizon Zero Dawn
  5. Resident Evil 7
  6. Nioh
  7. Wolfenstein 2
  8. South Park 2
  9. Cuphead
  10. Prey
Avatar image for deactivated-5bce12b22bc03
deactivated-5bce12b22bc03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven’t really thought about many of the other games I’ve played, but Zelda is easily the best thing I’ve played in 2017. I’d take it a step further and say that it’s one of the best games I’ve ever played. There’s so much I want to say about it, but I wouldn’t even know where to begin.

After that, I think Zelda would be followed by Persona 5 and then Mario Odyssey.

Jakk_Cannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This isn't so much of a Top 10 as it is a listing of the new games I played this year.

1. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Not much to be said here that hasn't already been said.
  2. Super Mario Odyssey - This feels like the kick that Mario needed. Not to say that the last mainline games were bad (Super Mario 3D Land, Super Mario 3D World), but they just we're not as fresh and inventive as they should have been. I've never had as much fun with getting collectibles as with this game.
  3. PUBG - So this game may have the largest asterisk for "game that came out this year", but damn it, if it doesn't deserve to be mentioned as a GOTY contender. This game, in all its janky glory, has offered me some of the best gaming moments this year. I'm excited to see where this game goes in the future.
  4. Everybody's Golf - I never realized how big the Hot Shots hole in my heart was until this game came out. I'm not sure how well this game translates to new fans of the series, but for a mainline entry, I enjoyed the hell out of it.
  5. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - It's Uncharted. It's cinematic. It's solid as ever. I will say that the runtime for this game works really well for the Uncharted series. I would love to see more 6-7 hour romps in the Uncharted series.
  6. Resident Evil 7 - My comeback surprise hit of the year for sure. While it may have felt rough around the edges, RE:7 brings the series back to a slower, creepier tone that was missing from the last two games.
  7. Steamworld Dig 2 - I never played the first Steamworld Dig, but for a pick up and play game I really enjoyed it.
  8. Golf Story - I was totally uninterested in this game's story. I ended up getting to a point where I really disliked the writing and tone the game, and would have rather played it as a sports game rather than an RPG.
  9. Sonic Mania - This is the game that true sonic fans have been asking for. However, for the lesser fans of Sonic, I think this game is too unforgiving and frustrating. Which is sad because it looks and sounds fantastic.
  10. Destiny 2 - Man. I'm really sad this game didn't draw me in like I thought it would. I was pretty uninterested in doing what the game wanted me to do and at the end of my play time, nothing I did felt satisfying. I'm glad people seem to be enjoying it, but this one just completely missed the mark with me.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#74 sgtsphynx  Moderator
revel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By revel

As always I haven't played enough games to really say. Would love to play Zelda and Mario.

PUBG (Over 300 hours in to that game. The lists posted make it look like i'm the only one though..... or people are lying.)
Horizon
Hollow Knight
Night in the Woods
Wolfenstien. (I wish it wasn't so "broken". I ran in to so many bugs and issues and it was kinda flat gameplay at times. But wow everything else was amazing!!!)

Oh yeah I just remembered I played Destiny 2. That was cool/fun for a good chunk of it.

Still need to play Cuphead and South Park. I did play a lot of Bloodborne (and dlc) recently.

Cubecubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#76  Edited By Cubecubed

• 1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

• 2. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

• 3. Super Mario Odyssey

• 4. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

• 5. What Remains of Edith Finch

• 6. Cuphead

• 7. Destiny 2

• 8. Assassin's Creed Origins

• 9. Injustice 2

• 10. Tacoma

zubatov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I decided my list based on games played as opposed to what was released. And while I did play more than five games that were released this year, they did not make the list. My brief thoughts on these games are here.

1. Night in the Woods
2. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
3. Total War: Warhammer II
4. The Long Dark
5. Dark Souls III
6. Marathon
7. The Wolf Among Us
8. Max Payne
9. Fallout 4
10. Sonic Mania

mortonan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

2. Horizon Zero Dawn
  3. Prey
  4. Super Mario Odyssey
  5. Dishonored: Death of the Outsider
  6. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
  7. Metroid: Samus Returns
  8. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
  9. Steamworld Dig 2
  10. Night in the Woods

Three different Bethesda bombs on there.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Fezrock

Lot of big games this year that I haven't played, so my list is probably a bit different from others.

1 Pyre

2 Divinity: Original Sin II

3 SteamWorld Dig 2

4 Hollow Knight

5 Tales of Berseria

6 Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood

7 NieR: Automata

8 Assassin's Creed Origins

9 Mass Effect: Andromeda

10 Yakuza 0

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#81  Edited By bybeach

In no particular order;

Wolfenstein 2 -Great game

Nioh-great suspected forgotten game

Horizon; Zero Dawn-great game playing now

PUBG-great janky game, but I have a bias about listing it with the others besides fully out (if that still applies)

I played some other good games, but I did not stay with them for one reason or another. Someday I will try The Surge and Hellblade. Also may buy the Switch, my first Nintendo console in decades

Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Odyssey

Battlegrounds

Rabbits

Persona

Rocket League Switch

Animal Crossing New Leaf Rerelease

Hitman DLC and Elusive Targets

Breath of the Wild for Wii U (constantly buying it for $29 and selling it back to GS for $49-$64 probably netted me enough profit to pay for half of a Nintendo Switch.

Black Ops 2 Backwards Compatibility

MK8 Deluxe

Due note I’ve bought but not opened Horizon, Wolfenstein, Nier, Nioh, Splatoon 2, and like a dozen other games.

Dude! Most millennial BS drives me batty, but this is a total Life Hack:

"Breath of the Wild for Wii U (constantly buying it for $29 and selling it back to GS for $49-$64 probably netted me enough profit to pay for half of a Nintendo Switch"

I wonder how long it took them to figure that shit out.

Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Dryker

Update: 12-18-17

Not much has changed yet. Played more Zelda; gaining on Horizon...

Dryker's GOTY List 2017

1. Destiny 2: Easily my GOTY. Second to none game play, beautiful graphics, amazing art design, excellent music, and spent the most time playing (main reason so behind on new games). (The writing, by the way, is abysmal. Have no idea why Bungie knocks it outta the park in every other respect, but falls flat in the writing department.)

2-1. Horizon: Zero Dawn: Gorgeous world, great art design (robotic fuckin' dinosaurs!), and super fun game play. Unlike most, I found the moment to moment dialogue cringe worthy and skipped through most of it. The over-arcing story was cool, but the dialogue just rubbed me the wrong way. Couldn't quite put my finger on it. Too wordy, perhaps? Too unnatural? I don't know, some of the verbal expressions just seemed over indulgent. I read a lot, perhaps I'm too picky, but one of my later choices is the exact opposite. Who knows? Perhaps I'm becoming out of touch. Doesn't keep it from making my second game of the year, though.

2-2. Zelda: BOTW: I'm kinda cheating here. Just picked up a Switch and this a couple days ago, and barely have gotten off the plateau, but I can tell I'm going to enjoy this more than Shadow of War. I like the art style, the sound effects, and that Nintendo je ne sais quoi (childlike, but appreciable by adults. Similar to the best Pixar stuff).

4. Shadow of War: Has gotten a bad rap. I've ignored the loot boxes entirely, have over a dozen legendary orcs, and have just recently gotten to the last act (about 90 hours in). Unlike Horizon, I've found the writing better than most video games. No Moby Dick, of course, but we're talking about video games here. The over-arcing story was fine, and the moment to moment dialogue was fine to good. Although, the part about a new ring was rather ridiculous, but other than that, I found the rest rather entertaining. The orcs have some of the best lines around, and the voice actors execute them superbly. The game play is fun, but a little overwhelming. There're just so many ways to murder orcs, it's hard to remember them all. No qualms about it, orc genocide here. Orc execution and orc subjugation. If this makes you uncomfortable, there's always Pong. No people death, no cartoon death, not even abstracted geometric death, just dots and paddles. Safe. (Jeff's right about Talion's appearance, though. WTF is going on there!?.)

5. Wolfenstein II: I'm really cheating here. Haven't even played this yet. But I bought it, and I expect it to be somewhere near the top this year, so to hopefully avoid drastic change, I've placed it at Number 5. Higher than games I've actually played! Strange, but somehow makes sense in The Grand Scheme.

6. Cuphead: Same thing: haven't played yet, own it, and expect it to be up here. Hopefully before the official tally.

7. No Man's Sky: Fuckin' ay right! Have you seen what they've done to this game since release? Hats off to those guys. And they're nowhere near done. And? I've actually played this game this year! It's still rad. It made my GOTY list when everyone else was trashing it. And now? It's even better!

8. Assassin's Creed: Haven't played. Don't own it... yet. Probably get around to it next year some time. Probably deserves to be much higher on this list, but since I haven't played it, nor do I own it, my head canon puts it here. Some may be thinking, "Why the fuck did you buy Shadow of War over Assasin's?" Fair question. Orcs. Bloody fucking orcs. If they had belligerent Egyptians and Greeks cracking wise and controlled by the Nemesis System in Ubisoft's latest assassination simulator, I'm sure it would've beaten Destiny 2 as my GOTY.

9. Ruiner: Again, haven't played, but I do own it. Expect to enjoy it. It came out this year. It makes this list.

10. Darkest Dungeon: Crimson Court landed this year. Looks dope! Can't wait to sink another 100 hours into this RPG masterpiece. But. Haven't played the expansion yet. The original game didn't come out this year. Hence it's low position on this list. These guys nail the Lovecraftian vibe better than anyone. Even, dare I say, Guillermo del Torro.

Honorable mentions (games I hope to get to next year):

Mario Odyssey, Nier (nothing I see about that game appeals to me, but so many people rave about it), PUBG (was waiting for Xbone version, but that apparently is all fucked up, so I guess I'll check out PC at some point. I hate playing with a keyboard), Divinity OS II, Injustice 2, Nioh, Mummy Demastered, Pyre, Sonic Mania, and Battle Chasers.

Dispossession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1) Wolfenstein: New Colossus

2) Super Mario Odyssey

3) Assassin’s Creed: Origins

4) Yakuza 0

5) Horizon: Zero Dawn

6) Nioh

7) Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

8) Pyre

9) Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice

10) NieR: Automata

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#85  Edited By alistercat
BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Apparently I can just directly insert the GB list I made earlier and it puts my comments in and everything. Neat! Good job, whoever made this feature!

BBAlpert's Ordered List of the Top 10 Games of 2017

1. NieR: Automata
9S is a dweeb
2. Super Mario Odyssey
The running around is very good.
3. Heat Signature
Pro-Tip: A very effective loadout for most missions is a gun, a gun, a gun, a gun, a gun, a gun, a gun, and a subverter (or an 8th gun).
5. Opus Magnum
Zachtronics makes a very specific type of game and I am way into that specific type of game.
6. Yakuza 0
I don't even have a PS4 and it's on my list. It's that good. Would probably be in my top 3 if I had actually PLAYED it.
8. SteamWorld Dig 2
SWD1 was a game I liked overall but had a few fundamental issues with. SWD2 fixes pretty much all of those issues while also expanding upon the aspects that I already enjoyed.
4. Sonic Mania
Reminded me why I loved Sonic 1 and 3 and Knuckles and why Sonic 2 can go to hell.
7. What Remains of Edith Finch
A neat little story that's told in a variety of inventive ways.
9. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
The more I think about the mechanics and game balance, the more it slides down in the rankings (it started at #3 on this list). But goddamn if this wasn't a game I needed this year.
10. Doki Doki Literature Club
All I'll say about DDLC is that the content warnings at the start are not there for show.
11. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Tentative placement. I don't have this game but if/when I get it for Christmas, I expect it'll end up somewhere in the top 5.
liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By liquiddragon

It's nice but surprising to see so much love for Horizon. Base on the conversations on the board the past few month, I thought it was gonna get buried. It's a pretty dope ass game actually.

pogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#89  Edited By pogo

I have a really busy life, so its been a long long time since I sat down and played a game all the way through to the end without falling off, but I could not stop playing this one and when I got done I started it again and beat it again....never happens for me. Definitely my number one.

2. Super Mario Odyssey

Its been a long time since I beat a Mario game (Super Mario Bros 3). I fell off Sunshine and Galaxy. I really really wanted to play more Galaxy but I hated my Wii by the time I got it so it was killed by that. Odyssey, similar to Zelda, I played it all the way through and started again. Pure joy in a box.

3. Assassin's Creed Origins

This is the game I am currently playing. Syndicate and Unity I kept having to force myself to play, but this one I keep wanting to play more, no time, but really enjoying what I've played so far.

4. SteamWorld Dig 2

Loved the original and this one pushes the mechanics further and has a lot more hours to offer. Its perfect on the Switch and is my go-to mobile game.

5. Horizon Zero Dawn

Gorgeous game and I really enjoyed the first half, knocking off pieces, and crafting all felt really good, would have been higher on my list but the story dragged in the middle and lost me before it got good. Maybe ill go back someday.

6. LEGO Worlds

This is the Lego game I've been wanting forever. If you were going to make a Lego game based on the spirit of playong LEGOs it would have to be a sandbox game, and that's why this is so fun. It actually feels like playing with LEGOs, unlike the licensed LEGO games which are crap. Yeah its a little clunky and there could be a little more to it in terms of making it feel more like an adventure (maybe some actual story), but I actually enjoy playing this one with my kids. When both adults and kids are having fun that says something.

7. Destiny 2

Bigger, better, faster, stronger Destiny 1 without the train wreck of a launch and lack of content that D1 came with. Bungie still can make a great shooter no surprises here.

8. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

Loved the XCOM like gameplay, but I fell off it with the lack of story pull...also I found out I'm not so much a Rabbids fan. Mario and Friends: Kingdom Battle 2 will be GOTY!

9. Portal Knights

Spent way more time with this game then I thought I would, scratched that Minecraft itch in a unique way.

10. Splatoon 2

Never played the first one so maybe that's way the unique multiplayer stood out to me, but I loved every moment so that's why it makes the list.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Tom_omb

Tomomb's Miiverse Memorial Game of the Year List 2017

10) Animal Crossing Pocket Camp

No Caption Provided

9) Disney Afternoon Collection

No Caption Provided

8) Picross S

No Caption Provided

7) Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

No Caption Provided

6) Snake Pass

No Caption Provided

5) Star Wars Battlefront II

No Caption Provided

4) Uncharted Lost Legacy

No Caption Provided

3) Cuphead

No Caption Provided

2) Super Mario Odyssey

No Caption Provided

1) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

No Caption Provided

Ciremo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm actually not to confident about my bottom 2, because I think they're ok but not great, so my top 8 are:

• Hollow Knight
  • CupHead
  • Persona 5
  • Dvinity 2: OS
  • Zelda
  • Nier
  • Wolfenstein II
  • and Horizon

Gonna do a write-up on why Hollow Knight is my absolute favorite. I've noticed is absence from many other people's list, as well as a low placement on the lists that it did appear on, so I think it deserves as much.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bmehlers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By bmehlers

These are the only games from this year that I have had a chance to play. I am very early in Nioh and Nier, and am hoping to get to a few more games before year's end. So list in progress:

1. Horizon: Zero Dawn

2. Nioh

3. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

4. Destiny 2

5. Nier: Automata

6. Tekken 7

7. Hidden Agenda

I also do not own a Switch, so some games are sadly out of contention.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#95  Edited By Marz

1 Xenoblade Chronicles 2

2 The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

3 NieR: Automata

4 Persona 5

5 Horizon Zero Dawn

6 Divinity: Original Sin II

7 Super Mario Odyssey

8 Nioh

9 Doki Doki Literature Club

10 Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood

played mostly rpgs this year, which is a good thing, haven't finished Tales of Berseria yet so I didn't list it.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#96  Edited By Tesla

10. The Last Guardian - This is only #10 because it technically came out last year. The camera is pretty janky but I love the overall vibe of the game and attempting to communicate with the giant bird cat is a pretty unique experience in gaming.

9. Wolfenstein 2 - I've only just started, and the game is pretty fun. But something about the game design just doesn't feel as tight as the original Wolfenstein remake.

8. Sonic Mania - This game is way better than it has any right to be. It plucks all those nostalgic strings as if it was made in the early 90s, but it's an original game and not a remake. I can't think of many homages in gaming that walk this balance as well as Sonic Mania.

7. Nioh - What more needs to be said besides this is samurai Dark Souls that you can play co-op with a friend online. That fact alone caused me to spend many hours on this game despite never finishing it.

6. Battle Chef Brigade - It feels like I'm playing a Stuido Ghibli movie when I boot this game up. I love how the combat and the puzzles interact with each other too. This is definitely a feel good game.

5. Persona 5 - The exposition can be a bit long winded, but the music, combat, and overall style of this game makes it an incredibly memorable experience.

4. Breath of the Wild - What more can be said about this game? I find it a bit too...unfocused to praise it as highly as most people. But it's still amazing.

3. Prey - This game has it all for me: cool story, great music, challenging combat that you can approach a variety of ways with unique builds. I'm also in love with how the game handles zero gravity exploration.

2. Odyssey - Pure joy incarnate.

1. Horizon: Zero Dawn - I love just about every aspect of this game. The coolest thing though is how the story doesn't fall apart in the third act like 99.9% of video games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel: what's your top ten worst games of the year

Those are all the games I played. Oh, I forgot Prey. Didn't finish that either.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: Thanks! Sadly, this year marks the end of my Miiverse GotY list tradition.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#100  Edited By Kidavenger

1 Horizon

2 Hellblade

3 Nier

4 Pyre

5 Breath of the Wild

6 Uncharted Lost Legacy

7 Gravity Rush 2

8 What Remains of Edith Finch

9 Agents of Mayhem

10 Rime

That's all the games I played that came out this year I've pretty happy to have played the first 8 games on my list; the last two are not good games, just on there by default.