• 77 results
Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mirado

If I had to pick the one feeling that defined video games in 2015, it would be "surprise." More so than any other year in recent memory, I was shocked by the games I found myself enjoying, and the ones that I really didn't like as much as I suspected:

• Couldn't stand The Witcher 1/2, enjoyed W3
  • Enjoyed the wacky stories in MGS but disliked the gameplay, loved the feeling of MGSV more than anything else this year
  • After revisiting New Vegas and having a great time with that, Fallout 4 wound up as a big letdown
  • After getting really pessimistic with what Nintendo was saying about Mario Maker, the game turned out to be a blast
  • Having so many people hype up Undertale led to unrealistic expectations that torpedoed it for me
  • Hidden gems like Renowned Explorers, franchises that went from subpar to outstanding like Cities: Skylines, and love letters to classic genres like Axiom Verge dominated far more of my time than I ever expected.

The list I wound up with at the end of 2015 looked nothing like the list I would have had going into it, with perhaps two games making an appearance on both. Thinking back on it, I would have had a real laugh looking back on my predictions, and I doubt I'm alone in that. So, I figured I'd centralize that by making a topic that asks:

What game (or list of games, if you are feeling extra daring) will be your winner(s) at the end of this year?

A lot can happen in one year, as 2015 proved. Your prediction(s) may wind up totally wrong due to delays, faulty releases, poor design decisions, terrible ports, or unexpected/unknown gems stealing the crown. Hell, if you were riding on Scalebound as your GOTY hope, that's already been bounced out in the first week!

So, after consulting my crystal ball/future video game almanac/friendly neighborhood time traveler, my GOTY for 2016 is:

XCOM 2!

Ok, that's a bit of a cop-out, seeing as there's a good amount of hands on preview information out there from people I trust, and the buzz has been overwhelmingly positive. But if XCOM 2 is even slightly better than its predecessor, I should have no problem falling in love and devoting 100+ hours to it. At the very least, I can be sure it won't slip to 2017, so only a catastrophic series of design failures can ruin this for me.

Seeing as that's a bit cheap, here's my predicted top 10:

1. XCOM 2
  2. Overwatch
  3. Stellaris
  4. Cuphead
  5. No Man's Sky
  6. Dark Souls 3
  7. Mass Effect Andromeda
  8. Hearts of Iron 4
  9. Street Fighter V
  10. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

And some that won't make it on my list so you can laugh at me when I totally fuck this up and get it all backwards (I don't own a XBONE, PS4, or Wii U, so any exclusives are right out):

1. Far Cry: Primal (not a fan of the prehistoric theme)
  2. Dishonored 2 (won't be as good as Deus Ex for my stealth action RPG needs)
  3. Doom (You can't go back home (or to hell) again)
  4. Mirror's Edge: Catalyst (not a fan of first person platforming)
  5. The Witness (looks beautiful but not a fan of puzzle games and No Man's Sky will fill the "serene colorful game I play with a podcast on" niche

So, what are you 100% rock solid sure will be your 2016 GOTY? Do you hold out hope that Mass Effect will actually make it this holiday season, and are you willing to bet your imaginary internet street cred on that? Taking the safe bet like me and choosing a AAA game that comes out in the first half of the year? Going to sneak back in July and edit your post to save face?

Bookmark this and come back in a year, and prepare to laugh your ass off.

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2  Edited By TreeTrunk
No Caption Provided

zolkowski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I literally think Pony Island is going to be in my Top 10 for 2016 and it's one of the first games of this year. Holy damn that game.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

My favourite game will be [insert name of indie game that I haven't heard of yet]

Aside from that, probably The Witness. I guess we'll see how it turns out in a few weeks...

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mass Effect Andromeda has so much potential to be my goty, but maaaaan after Inquisition I am really worried the direction of Bioware games.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Justin258  Online

So I can think of some games that I could put down as the answer here, but I don't want to overhype those games and then find myself disappointed when they're not the Second Coming, "just" really, really good games.

My favorite games over the past few years have all been games that I didn't really expect to like so much, by the way. I had barely heard of Sleeping Dogs before watching Vinny play it, I didn't think I would love a mechanics-focused dungeon crawler like Etrian Odyssey IV quite so much, Shovel Knight was another thing that I hadn't heard much of anything about prior to hearing about it on Giantbomb.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark Souls III. I'm not excited about it at all, though. I've grown tired of the series and frustrated with many aspects over the years. But when I look at the other releases...

I'll likely be spending a lot more time on other hobbies this year. The video game industry has become boring.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: @beachthunder: Wimps! (I totally understand, as I've been stunned by small games I knew nothing about quite often these past few years, and I've also overhyped games to the point that I couldn't possibly love them as much as I hoped I would, but it's all in good fun. :D)

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

#9  Edited By TheMasterDS

Hmm. Hard to say. I'll predict top 5 in Alphabetical Order.

[Retro's Third] Donkey Kong Country: [Subtitle here]
Overwatch
[Some Indie Game I've Not Heard Of Yet]
[Some Other Indie Game I've Not Heard Of Yet But This One Uses VR]
Yooka-Laylee

Although... honestly I might fall into the same camp as some GOTY guest writers where my actual GOTY may be Heroes of the Storm from now on. But not really, I don't consider games from the previous calendar year eligible for the list.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Judging from what I've liked in the past, I'd say Quantum Break, Mass Effect Andromeda and "Forza Horizon 2016" will be likely contenders for the top spots. Although I could see some weird VR experience or even the new Zelda sideswipe those.

spitz1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since nobody mentioned Persona 5 yet, I will.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Dark Souls 3 would be my safest bet. And I have really high hopes for Darkest Dungeon.

But I'm sure there will be plenty of surprises this year.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

If they all come out this year, I forsee a three horse race between Mass Effect: Andromeda, Dishonored 2 and Mirror's Edge: Catalyst.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Dark Souls 3, No Man's Sky, Hyper Light Drifter or The Division? I've no idea. Could even be some weird VR game. Last year I thought for sure The Witcher 3 would be my GOTY 2015...

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By rethla

Bioware might have learned something from their latest games and taken hopefully many notes from Witcher so i look forward to more Mass Effect. Other than that i can easily see Deus ex, tomb raider (pc) and Hitman on my list. Anything Square enix does nowdays turn into gold, not counting FF ofc. On the topic of FF i hope i can put Persona on next years list.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- No Man's Sky. Please be good, please be good, please be good. The exploration aspect looks so cool!

- DOOM. The singleplayer looks good and the multiplayer is very enjoyable from what I've played so far. Hopefully SnapMap is a good tool to make and find some interesting singleplayer levels.

- Mass Effect Andromeda if it doesn't turn out like a singleplayer MMO with quest mechanics from vanilla WoW.

- Dark Souls 3. The visuals look good and I like the idea of a faster Bloodborne style Souls game.

- Overwatch might be good if it has some extra variation in the objectives and they don't mess up the DLC model.

- XCOM 2. I like turn based squad strategy games and the first new one was great, so hopefully this one is too!

Those are the interesting games for me in 2016.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

XCOM 2

I doubt much else, other than a big surprise, will come close.

KentonClay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Persona 5, or an indie game I haven't heard of yet.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I don't want to jinx it but it'll probably be...

1. Persona 5
  2. Uncharted 4
  3. Mass Effect: Andromeda (if it comes out in 2016)
  4. Final Fantasy XV (...if it comes out in 2016)
  5. Dark Souls III
  6. Horizon: Zero Dawn (...this SO isn't coming out in 2016)
  7. Firewatch
  8. Street Fighter V
  9. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
  10. Eve: Valkyrie (Oculus)

Man, this year is going to be HUGE.

Frybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Frybird

I WANT to say No Man's Sky, but i have the lingering feeling i will lost interest after the initial hype quickly, and i've been wrong with Hotline Miami 2 that way last year.

...In that regard, i'll probably say Mirrors Edge: Catalyst, even if it might have the same Hype-Problem, i've been waiting for this a long time AND i still very much enjoy ME to this day, so chances are even if it's a worse game i will be in denial long enough to hold this game on the highest of pedestals once the game comes out.

So i'd say

1. Mirror's Edge Catalyst

2. [Game i do not yet know about]

3. [Game i might know about but don't have any interest yet...Bloodborne made me kind of sensible to that...For now i'd guess Quantum Break, as i adore Remedy Games, but i am not yet convinced that QB will interest me as much as Alan Wake and Max Payne]

4. Horizon - Zero Dawn

5. Deus Ex (probably both helped and hurt by how much it looks like the previous game, which i'm totally okay with)

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

1. Persona 5 - I loved P3 and P4, and P5 looks ultra slick in trailers.
  2. Dark Souls 3 - I love the Souls games, and I thought DS3 felt like the best playing one yet in the network beta test.
  3. Divinity: Original Sin 2 - I've been a fan of Larian's since Divine Divinity, and Original Sin had awesome combat mechanics.
  4. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - Always loved Deus Ex and this is looking to top Human Rev's solid showing.
  5. Quantum Break - A little apathetic on this game so far, but I love Remedy's past work, so I'm optimistic. Hoping for a fast PC port.
  6. Dishonored 2 - More of the same would be fine by me.
  7. XCOM 2 - Again, more of the same.
  8. Torment: Tides of Numenera - Planescape's an amazing game and the devs on Numenera seem to be really trying to live up to it.
  9. Shadow Warrior 2 - The previous game was a surprisingly strong game from a great small studio.
  10. Nier Automata - Nier had some wonderful qualities, and Yoko Taro's back again. Platinum's involved too now.

And who knows what indie games or other unexpected stuff will pop up over the course of the year ahead. Even though the above 10 games are the best predictions I can make with the information I have right now, I wouldn't be surprised if my final 2016 list ends up featuring fewer than half of them.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By forkboy

It'll be something new & unforeseen, it almost always is. Although I bet Cook Serve Delicious 2 will be on the list at the very least.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I can see Persona 5 taking it for sure. I'm a huge Vanillaware fan, so I can see 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim being my GotY as well, but that doesn't even have a release date yet and may very well not even come out this year.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully Zelda.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By atomicoldman

Based on what kind of games I like, I'd say two that I anticipate to be contenders are XCOM 2 and Persona 5.

Avatar image for dandyshlonglegs
dandyshlonglegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

1. The Witness

2. Firewatch

3. Outer Wilds

4. Tacoma

5. Some unknown VR thing

Definitely a theme of exploration/puzzle solving in my choices. Anticipating a lot of exciting VR experiences in that genre that I am not yet aware of. It's going to be an exciting year. My full list of anticipated games for 2016 is close to 30 titles. Surprisingly, No Mans Sky is pretty far down that list, but mostly because I'm still not sure what that game is.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zelda, Uncharted, Dark Souls, Mass Effect. I don't know. Lots of great looking titles (hopefully) being released this year.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Frog Fractions 3

But seriously, it's hard to say. There's some cool stuff coming out this year, so I'm pretty excited. I can guess what a lot of these games will be like, but until it's in my hands I couldn't say. Based on the info I have at this point, I'd like to say Persona 5?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#29  Edited By monkeyking1969

Nothing we expect...

- Forget about VR, nothing coming this year will "Wow" GB or there will be son many caviets that such games won't hit top-10.

- Forget about Uncharcter, it will be a solid game but like The Witcher from this year they will all wonder "Is it here because we like it? ....or is it here because it is expected?" UC 4 is going to be a good game, but my guess is it will be a really 'polished good game' not a 'great game'...or an inspiring game.

- Two people on staff will love No Man's Sky....and Jeff will hate it. The people who love it won't be Brad, and so Brad will push it off the list to put his game on the list, and nobody will have the energy to fight him.

- Crackdown 3 will be on the list...sadly it will be on the list of Most Disappointing. Jeff will be most upset that it didn't deliver.

-Quantum Break will not be in GOTY Tope 10 either

- Final Fantasy XV will not appear on the GOTY list either

- Gears of War 4 not GOTY for that matter...this could be runner-up for Jeff on most disappointing

- The Last Guardian.....it will get delayed until Dec 16...oh man.

- It will turn out no Nintendo Wii U games will be on the final top 10 GOTY list.

- Nintendo NX, if it comes out, could end up being the Hottest Mess of 2017. Yeah, I'm saying if it comes out the post launch line up and some of the "Nintendo ways of doing things" will mean that system's 2017 will be a hot mess.

- Brad will be all about Battleborn....he will rant rave and whine until everyone else in "Yeah, whatever it can be #2 on the list you big baby." Of the other staff, only Jeff will have played it, he will like it but really have no opinion. Everyone else will SAY they 'meant' to play it or bounced off it too early, so Battleborn will be high on the list.

- A good smattering of indie or established indie game will be on next years list or at least the deliberations.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 25

I'm in the middle of writing a big 2016 article, but looking through it if I had to pick the ten games I'm most excited about...

• Street Fighter V
  • Dark Souls III
  • Persona 5
  • Mirror's Edge Catalyst
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • Dishonored 2
  • Day of the Tentacle HD
  • Zelda Wii U (the biggest "maybe" I'm gonna include)
  • Horizon Zero Dawn (also a "maybe" for this year)
  • The Witness

That said there are 36 games on my full list.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got some (high) hopes for the new Hitman.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GiantLizardKing
  1. Dark Souls 3
  2. X COM
  3. New Zelda
  4. Deus Ex : Mankind Divided

Probably something like that. At least I hope those games are my favorites in some order.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure if this list will actually turn out to be a prediction or if it's just me wishing for those games to turn out truly great.

• 1. Dark Souls 3/Persona 5 (Yes, they are tied.)
  • 3. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
  • 4. Street Fighter V
  • 5. Fire Emblem: Fates
  • 6. The Witness
  • 7. South Park: Fractured But Whole
  • 8. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
  • 9. Mighty No. 9
  • 10. Tales of Berseria

This list doesn't include Mass Effect: Andromeda and Divinity: Original Sin 2 because I don't think they'll come out in 2016. If they did they'd be in 3rd and 4th position.

X-Com 2 isn't on there, because it won't get a console release and my PC is to shitty to run it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By mike
InstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By InstantRyan

This list is mainly AAA at the moment since I don't follow the indie scene as closely anymore so I have no clue what's coming out.

• Dishonored 2: Dishonored was my favorite game that year so more of that will always excite me.
  • Legend of Zelda (Wii U): Please come out in 2016
  • Shadow Warrior 2: I had no idea another game was being made until last week
  • XCOM 2 and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided: Will I even buy these in 2016? I waited for the originals to hit below $10 last time and they would have made the GOTY lists if I played them in their release year.
  • Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (PC): Does this even count?

Dishonored 2, Legend of Zelda (Wii U), and Dragon's Dogma are the only things I'm buying for sure. The rest of that list will probably be filled out with 1-2 3DS games that take me by surprise and whatever indies I latch onto.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Dark Souls 3 / XCOM 2.

A better characterization of this thread would be "predict your most disappointing game" though, because it's really just asking what you have the highest expectations for.

John_Wiswell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grim Dawn is my easy lock to be a beloved game. Played some of the alpha and beta, loved both sessions profoundly, most fun I've had with a Diablo-like since Titan Quest and Torchlight 2. I know I'll get sucked in.

I'm really hoping for INSIDE to deliver. LIMBO is an all-time favorite of mine. Also have high hopes for Tacoma, Hyper Light Drifter, DOOM, and Firewatch.

I wouldn't be surprised if The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine wound up my actual GOTY, though.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I wouldn't be surprised to see Uncharted 4 atop my list come the end of the year.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably Persona 5, XCom2 or Fire Emblems:Fates.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I expect Persona 5 will have no trouble topping any hypothetical list of mine.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: But I am me. What fun is there is predicting my own mind. Might as well ask what I think 4 x 4 will equal in a year. Live a little, folks.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

XCOM 2 probably ... Maybe Mass Effect if it comes out in 2016 (which I doubt).

cfilipec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

One of these:

Dark Souls III, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, The Last Guardian or... Final Fantasy XV??

I would bet on Dark Souls

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, you never know what surprises might come out, but from what we know I'd be surprised if it wasn't X-Com or Dark Souls. My super dark horse however is Lost Ark, if it comes out this year/over here.

bassguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I sure hope that new Zelda game 1) comes out in 2016, and 2) is GOTY material.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Probably Persona 5, unless I get a PS4 and Horizon: Dawn and FF XV ship in 2016

XCOM 2 and Fire Emblem: fates will be in the running too I'm sure

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It'll be some game I haven't even heard of as of now.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By amafi

SFV has a very good shot, and no man's sky too. And if Deus Ex is anything like the last one, then that's a contender as well.

And then there's P5 and dark souls 3, of course.

Fredddi43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#50  Edited By Fredddi43
  • 1. Persona 5
  • 3. Persona 5
  • 4. Persona 5
  • 5. Persona 5
  • 6. Persona 5