Premium Members: Resubscribe or Unsubscribe?

Hooded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#451  Edited By Hooded

How do I unsub? My sub is due to auto-renew in a weeks time. The content hasn't been worth it since the buyout.

YOUNGLINK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#452  Edited By YOUNGLINK

I'd sub if only for access to the FLIGHT CLUB.

defaultprophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#453  Edited By defaultprophet

I have another year I got for like $35 I was gonna give as a gift but decided on something else so yeah re-up

@Ehker said:

Just unsubscribed. Not sure what the difficulty has been for the GB crew, but the way they abandoned Random PC, Load Last Save, hate Endurance Runs... I really don't understand the direction.

Just looking at the latest page of subscriber content, it's hours of Doom, Dwarf Fortress and bad Olympic games, and these aren't what I'm personally looking for, at least for that length of time. It's like that old Japanese Tetris game they played for HOURS, and the most interesting thing becomes where their conversation will wonder to because frankly watching blocks for hours is boring shit.

There are just better and more interesting uses of that time and energy, but they seem to find the worse games for making premium content and have to try to make it entertaining with talk and antics.

So I have to vote with my wallet, and toss out the request for sticking Vinny, Drew, and Dave on the PC with crazy games and I'll be back in an instant.

Weird, the banter is entirely why I'm on this site to begin with.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#454  Edited By sammo21

Mine expires a week from tomorrow. I think I will re-up, but I'm not entirely sure. Before when GB was independent from a big company I felt like I was contributing to get content that I was directly helping fund. Now it feels like less so, but I still enjoy the content. Chances are I will re-up but with them having more access to more resources it would be nice to maybe see more things come out of a gold membership since they don't have to worry about subscribers funds to help make it where content gets funneled out.

Underthere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#455  Edited By Underthere

Embiggen is totally radical. I don't think I could go back.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#456  Edited By notdavid

I'll resub, but it's primarily to stay ad-free. Do monthly duders still see ads?

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I will keep throwing money at these gentlemen

Rincewind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#458  Edited By Rincewind

I'm gonna go Gold again in October.

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Bio2hazard said:

I'll stay subscribed as long as I can, regardless of how much premium content they put out.

I stay subscribed to support them, not to buy my way into content.

That money goes to CBSi now and they just pay them a salary

Haven't they stated that having extra money coming in independent of CBSi is helpful in maintaining independence.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#460  Edited By splodge

@notdavid said:

I'll resub, but it's primarily to stay ad-free. Do monthly duders still see ads?

I never see any, and Im monthly

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#461  Edited By jozzy

I've said this somewhere last week and I will repeat it here. Isn't it weird that the most popular and consistently great content is actually made by the guys who only do it as a side thing to their actual job: Vinny, Drew and Dave. Thinking more about this could it be because for them it's actually a fun little side thing, where the prime editors are doing this for their work and are losing their drive?

Admittedly Jeff is still trying, and I thought it was a great gesture that he did live stuff on monday. He is also apparently struck with personal issues which can wreak havoc on your ability to be enthusiastic about a basically trivial thing like playing videogames.

Still love Giantbomb a lot, but it's very likely I won't re-up my sub. I really hope the BLLSL can make me believe again.

Ehker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#462  Edited By Ehker

@DefaultProphet said:

I have another year I got for like $35 I was gonna give as a gift but decided on something else so yeah re-up

@Ehker said:

Just unsubscribed. Not sure what the difficulty has been for the GB crew, but the way they abandoned Random PC, Load Last Save, hate Endurance Runs... I really don't understand the direction.

Just looking at the latest page of subscriber content, it's hours of Doom, Dwarf Fortress and bad Olympic games, and these aren't what I'm personally looking for, at least for that length of time. It's like that old Japanese Tetris game they played for HOURS, and the most interesting thing becomes where their conversation will wonder to because frankly watching blocks for hours is boring shit.

There are just better and more interesting uses of that time and energy, but they seem to find the worse games for making premium content and have to try to make it entertaining with talk and antics.

So I have to vote with my wallet, and toss out the request for sticking Vinny, Drew, and Dave on the PC with crazy games and I'll be back in an instant.

Weird, the banter is entirely why I'm on this site to begin with.

Banter's fine, but the podcast and radio show provide that. What makes the GAMING videos special are their reaction to events. When the premium content often force them to fill air BECAUSE the content is so boring, obviously the game choices aren't great. I would keep paying for more dynamic games that provide surprises like Day Z which is another request, but so far they've steered to the opposite.

Just heard Jeff talking about doing a Scooby Doo thing next. I know the ridiculous sounds hilarious, just like an Olympic games marathon, but the reality is we have four Olympic episodes of premium content that I can't watch and it replaced the stuff I'm looking for. Premium content is already at best once a week, and often not even that, so the choices matter.

It's just not working for me, but if they're really bringing in the subscriptions with the choices so far they should stick with it.

Bumbuliuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#463  Edited By Bumbuliuz

I am not happy with paying $50 again since GB was sold to CBS. If the price was $25-30 it would be an easier sell. The main reason for paying was supporting the guys and the site. I'm open to re-subbing at a later date and a lower price, but not at $50.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#464  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

My sub went up earlier this year and happily gave them money again. If it gives them the chance and time to do more dumb stuff that maybe CBS would take too long to approve or would step in the way then it's well worth it to me.

Hell even if they just buy some beer with it I think it's worth it. They do so much for my entertainment, it's only fair imo.

insidergamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#465  Edited By insidergamer

Re-subscribe. I could defend my decision a little more, but I love the stuff these guys put out and want to keep on supporting them. There's not a day that goes by as of late that I do not visit the site or re-watch an older video. Every Tues, I go to the Podcast tab and refresh away until something comes up.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#466  Edited By falling_fast

I'm re-subscribing. Giantbomb is still one of the best videogame sites out there (second only to rockpapershotgun imo). I do hope that they bring back vinny and dave looking at random ass pc games, sometime when they're more settled in, though. Those were always super fun.

jukeboxjosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#467  Edited By jukeboxjosh

I'm kinda new to this whole Giant Bomb thing, as in just hearing about the place over the summer. The podcast got me hooked, and when I realized I could see more and in better formats for a monthly fee, I jumed at the oppertunity. Now I've had it for about a month, and I'm keeping it. I can use the mobile site, the HTML5 theater is amazing, I can go through all the subscriber content, being in the chat during a live subscriber show is a great experience, and seeing no ads is pretty awesome. I'm sticking with this for awhile.

deskp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#468  Edited By deskp

Things were greta for a while with the flight club and dave fortress, then everything stopped it feels like. that ontop of the fact that normal GB content hasent been much lately is abit anoying.

They keep 'complaing' theres no new games, while they could do QL's of games theyve not done it on for whaetver reason, or do older obscurer games.

I'm looking forward to more random pc game. once Dave isnt all up in making the new site, im sure thing will get better.

I'm keeping my subscription another year.

FirebirdINF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#469  Edited By FirebirdINF

I think of GB like I think of HBO. The subscribe money gives them the freedom and resources to be creative and on the edge balls out. As long as they stay that way, I will support. I don't care where they place the pay wall on the site, as long as they are innovative. Jeff is an enormously talented critic, and apparently manager, and he is man enough to put together a pretty strong crew. The crew needs to get even stronger, though, if the site is to keep pace. More personalities, more diverse, more concentrated. I am confident they will do it. I am in till next year sometime, but will probably stack during a sale, if one comes my way. As for those who say they don't need subscriptions because of CBS money, that makes no sense at all. Subscriptions are direct influence of the user. At ad-supported sites, user influence is mediated through advertisers, corporate and sales. The crap the latter pull is the reason GB was created in the first place. So I'd like to keep that direct lifeline open as long as that creativity is alive and kicking.

lumley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#470  Edited By lumley

My intention was to start using a silver account and only subbing when there was content to watch. But.. I checked my emails today and apparently my subscription has renewed itself - something I didn't want it to do at all! I was completely unaware that my account was set to auto renew.

I've emailed the support team to see if they can help me out but I'll be seriously pissed off if I can't get back that $50 they just charged me.

Saying that, it's not the end of the world if I have to keep the subscription, I'd just rather buy the next 7 months as a silver member.

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#471  Edited By Dylabaloo

I feel myself coming to Giantbomb specifically less and less, I haven't listened to the bombcast in awhile. I have to treat this like a product rather than a charity and I feel, I am not getting my moneys worth. I think a lot of my lack of interest is tied to where the gaming industry is at the moment, when the next consoles come out I'm sure i'll find myself back here. But for now I can't justify the price, especially since Screened and Tested are no longer a part of the package.

PhilipDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#472  Edited By PhilipDuck

I think i may be resubscribing with this 'Random Pc' game coming up! This is what it's all about 'Flight club', 'Random pc' game they are great!

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#473  Edited By Grissefar

Probably not, man. Even the regular ass content is not exactly thriving.

@jozzy said:

ho only do it as a side thing to their actual job: Vinny, and.

Yeah, man it's wierd. You don't make your MVP into a waterboy. If there is a Quick Look with Ryan/Jeff/Vinny, you know it's going to be fun, because these men can do it together. If it's with Jeff + Brad/Patrick, you know it's going to be a 24 minute dry lesson.

burnttoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#474  Edited By burnttoast

@Lumley: were you able to get back your money. I am in the exact same spot and I don't think they will, which is a super shitty/shady business practice. Its not like I have cost them anything, taking money when a customer has not cost you anything and wants a refund is just taking it to be greedy.

Avatar image for thevideohustler
TheVideoHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#475  Edited By TheVideoHustler

RESUB! I love these guys. They produce so much amazing content, I really don't know what the big deal is about the buy-out. I've not really noticed a change at all. In fact, I think it has gotten better.

I just moved to a new country, but as soon as I am set up. I will definitely sub as long as Giant Bomb lives.

Bomber4life

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#476  Edited By nightriff

Pokemon Fucking Snap!

Resub for life, without question

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#477  Edited By abendlaender

So this is the way I see it: I pay around 65-80 USD for a videogame (50-60€), and most of them are great for....well let's see at most 50 hours. Usually 15-20 hours. A yearly subscription costs 40€ and brings me at least 20 hours of video (Don't care about most TNTs, otherwise it would have veen much more). Also, I spend so much time on this site, watching Quick Looks etc. that I feel like this is a bargain even though that stuff is free. Money shouldn't be a problem now for them but I feel totally okay paying 40€ a year and supporting the site

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#478  Edited By the8bitNacho

Re-subscribe, because I apparently forgot to turn off auto-renewal and just got charged.

lumley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#479  Edited By lumley

@burnttoast: Nope. I emailed them and got a reply from Ryan informing me that they don't do refunds.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#480  Edited By YoThatLimp

@Lumley said:

@burnttoast: Nope. I emailed them and got a reply from Ryan informing me that they don't do refunds.

That is most likely because someone could "accidentally" buy a subscription and download a crazy amount of content in 5 days then tell them "I didn't mean to subscribe!". They deal in digital goods, refunds aren't a part of that.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#481  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

It's been great, they haven't done a TON of premium stuff, but enough to get my money's worth. Plus no ads is a huge benefit, as is Downloading and the site player. Plus supporting the guys!

NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#482  Edited By NathanStack

It's very easy to get GB's premium content without being a premium member. I'm not going to go into details, but the option is out there.

My paid subscription was always to support the crew, not for the extra content but it's been difficult rationalizing supporting a crew who don't seem particularly interested in their own site.

burnttoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#483  Edited By burnttoast

@YoThatLimp: Sure I can understand that. But that case isn't relevant to someone who has had a subscription for a long time and is resubed. That is the case we are talking about here so that argument doesn't work. I really don't see any reason to not give a refund to a long time member besides to take his money.

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#484  Edited By Nev

My subscription isn't up until later this year, but I will be re-subbing. For the past year or two, I've found myself not loving the Quick Looks nearly as much as I used to - there are some real gems here and there, but they aren't the draw they used to be for me - and the premium content is kind of the site for me now, content wise.

They haven't had nearly as much this year as last, but provided they throw in some Random PC Game, and Load Our Last Save in, I'm pretty much sold.

Really, though, Random PC Game is kind of all I need. Dave + Vinny is the perfect combo.

keithfreitag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#485  Edited By keithfreitag

I want to unsubscribed but the site won't let me. I've emailed about this issue and I'm told I'm stuck. My subscription was set to renew 9/16, for a few weeks before that I've been trying to unsubscribe. Then 9/13 comes up and all of a sudden I'm auto-renewed. I email some whiskey address about this and only 2 weeks later get a reply saying, "sorry, no refunds." How the heck is it no refunds if I'm trying to unsubscribe. Someone please shed some light and to this day, I have no idea if I am subscribed or unsubscribed. I keep doing the cancellation page and it will not let me send feedback so I have no idea if it has gone through or not.

My only hope is that the account page says no-rebill. Wish it said that 2 months ago.

Keith

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#486  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Resubscribed after a few months hiatus, I can't resist a random pc game

g6065

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#487  Edited By g6065

This is a question that I've been having to ask myself lately as well. I'm hoping that there's the usual Thanksgiving sale, if not, I might be giving up my shiny gold medal : (

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#488  Edited By csl316

Content's been flowing, and the premium stuff is hitting regularly again. Been varied and interesting, too. Seems like they're finally settled.

keithfreitag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#489  Edited By keithfreitag

@YoThatLimp: Well they could certainly deny that if someone did download stuff or pro-rate it. I don't visit GB hardly at all and they could easily check and see if I had downloaded anything but they are being a bit greedy about not offering a refund when I've been trying to cancel for sometime now and even as recently as the day my sub was renewed. Support email took 2 weeks for a you're screwed response.

fRAWRst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#490  Edited By fRAWRst

Will support these guys till they shutdown. They've given me 4 years+ of entertainment, easily worth the 50 bones a year.

GiveUpNed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#491  Edited By GiveUpNed

I feel slightly guilty for saying this, but I haven't resubscribed. I'm Canadian and for some weird reason I wasn't able to get my Year Two member shirt. Oh well, it's just a shirt. That said, the premium subscriber content isn't content I'm interested in.

I've decided to buy an Ars Technica subscription as I believe I'll get a better deal. It's simply a decision of economics. I believe in paying for my content, but I'm not a charity. Giantbomb isn't currently providing value, IMHO, for fifty dollars, so I've taken it elsewhere.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#492  Edited By fattony12000

@GiveUpNed said:

I feel slightly guilty for saying this, but I haven't resubscribed. I'm Canadian and for some weird reason I wasn't able to get my Year Two member shirt. Oh well, it's just a shirt. That said, the premium subscriber content isn't content I'm interested in.

I've decided to buy an Ars Technica subscription as I believe I'll get a better deal. It's simply a decision of economics. I believe in paying for my content, but I'm not a charity. Giantbomb isn't currently providing value, IMHO, for fifty dollars, so I've taken it elsewhere.

I'm sorry that we won't be seeing you in the downright dirty rotten beta.

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion/30/do-you-like-the-hot-new-look-for-giant-bomb-dot-com/570468/

Spaceyoghurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#493  Edited By Spaceyoghurt

I'll stay subscribed. But, they really need to produce more premium content, it's been lacking for a while now. But I'm sure they will get that done once the new site is up and running.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#494  Edited By murisan

Naaaaw

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#495  Edited By JZ

They got four months to wow me

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#496  Edited By Hector

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Resubscribed after a few months hiatus, I can't resist a random pc game

Haha! That's the main reason I resubscribe on some months too! Every other feature I can do without.

GiveUpNed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#497  Edited By GiveUpNed

@Fattony12000 said:

@GiveUpNed said:

I'm sorry that we won't be seeing you in the downright dirty rotten beta.

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion/30/do-you-like-the-hot-new-look-for-giant-bomb-dot-com/570468/

I am too! Unfortunately I'm not a charity and I believe is paying for content I use.