Project Bone! A community-based indepth look at a single game.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By Pazy

Game: Project Bone

Platform: PC

Size/Media: 24mb Direct Download

Free/Cost: Free

Time Frame: 30 Minutes Maximum

Link?: http://www.blendogames.com/files/gravitybone.zip

Since the "yesteryear" idea is apparently dead and since I was really idea into the idea im trying to cut down on the fat and make it a leaner and quicker thing to do. First of all most of the rules go away and the 2 days only of discussion. My plan is to post up a small game (probably indie or freeware) to play and then have a discussion about it with whoever turns out. As time goes on we can then work in longer games if its a success and also from week 2 (fingers crossed) onwards we can have people submit and vote on the game which we then play. This is open to those who have never played the game and also to those who have long ago.

If you are interested in this then lets play:

No Caption Provided
Gravity Bone is a first person adventure based on the Quake 2 engine. As such it will run on almost any computers (even netbooks I would assume) and it lasts at most half of an hour. Since its free and avalable from www.blendogames.com then everyone who wishes to join in should be able to. To quickly describe it the first level takes place in "Nuevos Aires" and have to do some espionage against some blockheads who have disgruntled your employer in some way.

So everyone who would like to have a good discussion about a game, including those who have already played and completed it, then heres you chance, head on over to www.blendogames.com and download the game. For those who have already completed it (in the past or just now) then keep anything that isnt the first level from the first few posts for those who are just hearing about this and going to download it.

If you intend to join it then please do not read further down this thread since it will contain spoliers and cloud your own view of the game.

Thanks for reading and thank you for anyone whos interested. Im off to replay Gravity Bone to make sure my discussions are as accurate as possible and to relive its awesomeness.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Pazy

Game: Project Bone

Platform: PC

Size/Media: 24mb Direct Download

Free/Cost: Free

Time Frame: 30 Minutes Maximum

Link?: http://www.blendogames.com/files/gravitybone.zip

Since the "yesteryear" idea is apparently dead and since I was really idea into the idea im trying to cut down on the fat and make it a leaner and quicker thing to do. First of all most of the rules go away and the 2 days only of discussion. My plan is to post up a small game (probably indie or freeware) to play and then have a discussion about it with whoever turns out. As time goes on we can then work in longer games if its a success and also from week 2 (fingers crossed) onwards we can have people submit and vote on the game which we then play. This is open to those who have never played the game and also to those who have long ago.

If you are interested in this then lets play:

No Caption Provided
Gravity Bone is a first person adventure based on the Quake 2 engine. As such it will run on almost any computers (even netbooks I would assume) and it lasts at most half of an hour. Since its free and avalable from www.blendogames.com then everyone who wishes to join in should be able to. To quickly describe it the first level takes place in "Nuevos Aires" and have to do some espionage against some blockheads who have disgruntled your employer in some way.

So everyone who would like to have a good discussion about a game, including those who have already played and completed it, then heres you chance, head on over to www.blendogames.com and download the game. For those who have already completed it (in the past or just now) then keep anything that isnt the first level from the first few posts for those who are just hearing about this and going to download it.

If you intend to join it then please do not read further down this thread since it will contain spoliers and cloud your own view of the game.

Thanks for reading and thank you for anyone whos interested. Im off to replay Gravity Bone to make sure my discussions are as accurate as possible and to relive its awesomeness.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Pazy

Oh and for the sake of clarity the reason its called "Project Bone" is because while searchign for the download link to gravity bone I kept calling it Project Bone (only realising my error on the blendogames.com page) and the fact its mean to cut out whats unneeded of the "yesteryear" idea so ive cut it down to its core, or the bone if you will. 

ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By ververdan0226
@Pazy: I'm in, I guess. But I don't think people will notice it, they sure as hell didn't notice my idea. Well, good on ya! Did you attach this to the forums by the way, that's the way to get it done...
Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Absurd

I played this a couple weeks back, It was quite fun. I was sad that it only had 2 levels though.

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By angelkanarias

I'm just here to say I'd prefer a good ol' community game night, but maybe I'll check out that game, right now I'm going to sleep.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Pazy
@angelkanarias said:
" I'm just here to say I'd prefer a good ol' community game night, but maybe I'll check out that game, right now I'm going to sleep. "

Isnt that a seperate thing? A bombing run or something its called. This is meant to be a seperate thing where we individually play a game then discuss it as a group rather than play as a group on one night.

@ververdan0226 said:

" @Pazy: I'm in, I guess. But I don't think people will notice it, they sure as hell didn't notice my idea. Well, good on ya! Did you attach this to the forums by the way, that's the way to get it done... "
And yes I did post it to the forum and plan to bump it in like 12 hours to try and catch all time zones :)

If youve played it then start discussing it, its far enough down to let people read the initial post and download without seeing spoliers now :) Ill join in later once ive replayed it.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Azteck

I'm in! Downloading as we speak!

ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ieatlions

Do we begin posting comments?

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Pazy
@ieatlions said:
" Do we begin posting comments? "
Go for it :) As soon as you complete it then start talking about it though by the looks of it most people havent started yet so you might be a bit lonely for a whie lol but if you post your first thoughts then whenever people are ready they can use them as a starting off point. Ill start posting in about an hour :)
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Azteck

Not really sure how the discussion will go, but whatever. Let's start with some text and see what happens.

For being such a short game (two levels) it was incredibly intuitive in some places with how you got from point A to point B. It wasn't that hard though and the puzzles didn't take a lot of thinking to solve (if any thinking that is).

The story was kind of non-existant but it was still a surprise to see that that boy-scout looking woman, who turned out to be your employer and also your killer, even though one possibly should've expected it.

I've written too many reviews in my life.

ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ieatlions

Ok well i just finished and i think it would be way better if it was a bit longer. but as it is its pretty amazing.
and i didnt know she was your employer : (

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Azteck
@ieatlions said:
" Ok well i just finished and i think it would be way better if it was a bit longer. but as it is its pretty amazing. and i didnt know she was your employer : ( "
I just kinda assumed, what with the voice and all.

Come to think of it though, everyone sounded like that though so I could be completely wrong.
ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ieatlions
@Azteck: i just thought she was another agent
Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Absurd

I  thought the game represents the expression: "What goes around comes around"

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pazy

When I first loaded up the game the first thing I noticed was the graphic style, if no one had told you would you even have noticed it was on the Quake 2 engine? It looks awesome because its got a style. This is why World of Warcraft - released in 2004 - looks really good still and something like The Matrix Online - released in 2005 - was showing its age near the end. In addition to just the general style the colour in the game was amazing, its sad so say (because weve been saying it for years) that games need more colour, weve had too much brown, grey and greens. The Blockhead style of the characters was a bold choice, perhaps drawn from the fact they couldent go super detailed they went 'no' detailed, which in part gave the game is unuiqe look.

No Caption Provided

I also loved some of the details which were entierly unneeded like why is there a plane flying about in the background? It serves no part to the story and most people would never see it. And the whole game as a sort of 1920's/Edwardion vibe, looing like a brighter version of the world in Jeeves and Wooster (a british comedy drama starting Hugh Lauria and Steven Fry. This is a style I dont think ive ever seen in a game before, and if you have then you could certianly point it out to me as its something id like to experience more.

Looking at this game almost makes me wish that Microsoft and Sony had gone for a less powerful system and forced designers to try harder with current hardware and introduce new styles and ideas. The first games in a generation normally just up the textures and make the worlds bigger and near the end of the generation (or perhaps the middle) is where the new ideas come out and the graphic styles start coming out in full force.

Ill post up more about the gameplay itself later but what are your guys's opinion on the graphical style of the game?

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pazy
@Absurd said:
" I  thought the game represents the expression: "What goes around comes around" "
What made you think that? Personally I didnt get that vibe at all from it.
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Azteck

I think it had a really nice diversion between the colorful areas like the the plateau where they served drinks and the basement like areas.

They had definitely packed in a lot of neat things in the areas like the small signs telling you what to do instead of having a large pop-up saying "PRESS SPACE TO JUMP".

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Absurd
@Pazy said:
" @Absurd said:
" I  thought the game represents the expression: "What goes around comes around" "
What made you think that? Personally I didnt get that vibe at all from it. "
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the first level, you help poison a man and then in the last level, you get killed?
ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ieatlions
@Absurd: i think if the creators wanted to express that they would of made you kill someone trying to take a picture of your bird ?
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Azteck
@Absurd said:
" @Pazy said:
" @Absurd said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the first level, you help poison a man and then in the last level, you get killed? "
Didn't even think about that actually, but now that you mention it it may be correct. Or is it all coincidence?
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Pazy
@Absurd said:
" @Pazy said:
" @Absurd said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the first level, you help poison a man and then in the last level, you get killed? "

Thats true but I didnt quite get a direct link. It seemed more like a spy getting betrayed or simple killed by another spy. If that was the intention of the creator then it could have been a bit clearer by making it the same method of killing or having your killer be visibly of the same faction as the person you killed.

@Azteck said:

" I think it had a really nice diversion between the colorful areas like the the plateau where they served drinks and the basement like areas.They had definitely packed in a lot of neat things in the areas like the small signs telling you what to do instead of having a large pop-up saying "PRESS SPACE TO JUMP". "
I loved the small signs because I was able to ignore them and only noticed them when I looked for them which means they were better blended into enviroment but they seemed to stand out enough that if you were stuck you could have found it.

EDIT: I have copied my next post into this to allow me to post again to bump it for those who was asleep (at 2am no less ;)) and to catch other time zones.

@Azteck said:

" @Absurd said:
" @Pazy said:
" @Absurd said:
Didn't even think about that actually, but now that you mention it it may be correct. Or is it all coincidence? "

I didnt even notice on my first playthrough that the birds photograph actually jump off there perch and blow up. Maybe its about in the spy buissness that everyone you meet gets killed or you do?

The other thing that is really interesting is the last say 10 seconds. After you have chased the women you get shot again by her and fall over the walkway and begin to flashback. The flash's are of a car in a driveway getting blown up, a gun fight on speeding cards and some sort of athletic race.

Does anyone have any thoughts on then?

When I saw the car flashback it looked to me like it was his (or her?) car getting blown up rather than them blowing up the car for some sort of mission. My first thought was actually of Austin Powers in Goldmember where Austin's father is remembering a family holiday to belgum with his wife and 2 children where his car (with his family inside) got blown up by rival spy's and he only managed to rescue one son, Austin. Because of this that flashback makes me think Spy'ing is all the character has left in life.

I also got this impression from the way you moved between the levels. You exited the level by pressing the button and presumable got some sort of transport out of there and then a projector based slide show of what you had just done and what it meant for your organisation and a tally of how much you earned (and why) and then suddenly your in he next level and your objectives are written on a peice of card. Those objectives are only half of them and the other half is contained next to your equitment. This gave me the feeling you are shuttled between various objectives in a rapid fashion.

Thoughts?

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Pazy

Bumped for those who were asleep at my original posting (for me 2am) and for those in other time zones etc. who couldent catch it now that its hidden in the back. If anyone wants to play and join in the discussion please do :)

SlowHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By SlowHands
@Pazy:  I remember when I played this a while ago.  I got linked to it from... something, but that's not the point.  The article or whatever I was reading was about how games like Half Life gradually introduce new concepts in the first half of the game and you use them in various different way throughout.  Gravity Bone came up because the author thought that it was doing exactly the same thing, making you think that it is going to be a lot longer than it really was.

I have to admit the ending does come as a surprise the first time around because of this and I quite liked that.  Turned a method of teaching into a sort of narrative.
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Pazy
@SlowHands said:
" @Pazy:  I remember when I played this a while ago.  I got linked to it from... something, but that's not the point.  The article or whatever I was reading was about how games like Half Life gradually introduce new concepts in the first half of the game and you use them in various different way throughout.  Gravity Bone came up because the author thought that it was doing exactly the same thing, making you think that it is going to be a lot longer than it really was."

It seems to do exactly the opposite to me the first half of it teaches you how to play the "game" then shoots you and makes you chase someone down dodging trains. Thats a pretty big difference in gameplay in that you begin as a "spy" and you complete objectives to the last half being a chase/platforming game.

Though I do think it is turning a method of teaching into part of the narrative in thats the gameplay (along with other factors) makes you feel a certain way it manages to quickly get you into the swing of things to allow the sharp change of direction to impact you a lot more than it would have had it been a shooter where you shoot people, you get shot then chase them down and shoot them. 

My main wonder about this shift is that would it work as a longer game? If you had played the spy gameplay for 8 hours, and assuming the spy gameplay itself stood up and was involved, and then in the last 10 minutes instead hitting the high point in spy gameplay you hit that change in gameplay.

SlowHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SlowHands
@Pazy said:
"My main wonder about this shift is that would it work as a longer game? If you had played the spy gameplay for 8 hours, and assuming the spy gameplay itself stood up and was involved, and then in the last 10 minutes instead hitting the high point in spy gameplay you hit that change in gameplay."
In my opinion, it wouldn't be a good decision to make a game where the gameplay changes so radically in the last section.  A little variety is nice but a change so dramatic can be jarring and frustrating.

But I don't think that;s what is happening here.  This game seems to me to be about being a spy like, for example, James Bond.  Being secretive for a bit and then some action and then the end.  The difference is that the beginning assumes no prior knowledge of the character you play as and as such you are just an avatar.  When the woman shoots you though you are shown flashbacks or whatever that I think gives some backstory to the player character.  I thought that was a little odd.
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Pazy
@SlowHands said:
I think gives some backstory to the player character.  I thought that was a little odd. "
The discussion up until now has mostly been focused on the spy portion but the flashback is really intersting as well. You could easily say the car bomb and gun chase are spy motifs but what has the racing got to do with anything?
SlowHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SlowHands
@Pazy said:
"The discussion up until now has mostly been focused on the spy portion but the flashback is really intersting as well. You could easily say the car bomb and gun chase are spy motifs but what has the racing got to do with anything? "
Now I'm stuck for words.  I can't think of a reason for the race.  Surely someone can come to my rescue, call me an idiot and get on with a plausible explanation?
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Pazy
@SlowHands said:
" @Pazy said:
"The discussion up until now has mostly been focused on the spy portion but the flashback is really intersting as well. You could easily say the car bomb and gun chase are spy motifs but what has the racing got to do with anything? "
Now I'm stuck for words.  I can't think of a reason for the race.  Surely someone can come to my rescue, call me an idiot and get on with a plausible explanation?
"
Your not an idiot, thats the whole point of this where we each discuss everything.  If your not sure on something or have no feelings on it then talking about other aspects of it. No need to call names :)
And I cant figure out a reason for it either, it seems entirely separate from everything. Especially since every thing else is first person but that appears to be third person, since you "run" through tape but the guy looking at actually breaks it.
ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ieatlions

I took it to mean that he was at the head of the pack in the spy game but now a new person has essentially replaced him

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Pazy
@ieatlions said:
" I took it to mean that he was at the head of the pack in the spy game but now a new person has essentially replaced him "

Like the reason she was waiting for him there was so she could claim the mission a success of her own and then *ask* why you havent returned or completed your mission? Wierdly for a (presumably) cold blooded murder that seems more sinister.
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Pazy

One last bump to make sure everyone has had a chance to see this. If anyone wants to keep discussing the game, even if you havent played it yet and want to do it now, then go ahead. Later on tonight or perhaps tommorow ill post up a peice on what weve learned, or at least though about this game, and whether I think this was a success. If you want this to continue or put your own comment on what we can do to improve it (and im open to all ideas) then post it up on the thread I post later or here if you want.

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By cloneslayer

the title "project bone" make me giggle...

KillerBears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By KillerBears

What  really surprised me about  this game is how good it looks. I guess the quake 2 engine is seen as bad because when it came out computers couldn't handle too much. I had no idea it could support these really high-res textures. I wish more games would go with more cartoony or abstract styles. When everything tries to look realistic it all starts to look the same, I'm about sick of the color brown. Plus, as someone said earlier, realistic stuff ages poorly. I can still play the Spyro the Dragon series and Um Jammer Lammy on the PS1 without thinking about the low amount of polygons, but PS2 games like Red Faction show their age pretty well.

Captain9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Captain9099

Hey would anyone be interested in doing a community podcast about are experience with the game?

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Pazy
@Captain9099 said:
" Hey would anyone be interested in doing a community podcast about are experience with the game? "
Sounds like a great idea. We can even cycle whoever has a microphone or have a steady host and they read out (or perhaps condense then read out) some of the best posts from the thread as well as have their own follow own discussion to "cap" off that weeks discussion.
Im all for this if anyone is willing to be the voice for it. Personally im not really up for this since I have no mic or confidence in my own voice but if anyone wants to do it, even if they havent participated in the thread at all/yet that would be great.
Or perhaps if other podcast's like this idea (Project Bone) or the podcast idea they could incorporate this as a segment of their larger podcast to allow more people to listen to even if they dont want to get directly involved?
This all assumes that people would want to be a voice on it. Anyone interested?
DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By DanielJW

My first thought with this was Portal, not sure why. Stylistically the basement scenarios made me think of portal. 

Anyways I think the frist mission is really there just to show what you are. Put you in the shoes so you have a very basic understanding of your character. 

The second level I got as a parody as well as a pretty good mirror of what a spies life might be like. The drastic switch in gameplay can show how if you were a spy you need to adapt quick and can't rely on anything you thought you knew was consistent. I thought it set the mood really well with the rain, and the sound of the voices. I think they all had the same voice to show that, to a spy, everyone is the same, the only person that stands out is your target. This was done well in the first level too, having your target in red hair.

Slightly a parody in the sense that you're taking pictures of birds while theres big importat looking schematics lying out. In that sense I got that maybe it was trying to show how disposable spies are. Sent out to take pictures of birds and you're killed over it, and it's unlikely you'll be missed. Which leads into what I think the flashback was about. It gave you a bit of a backstory, because although you're an anonymous, cold blooded spy, you had a past and an identity. It helped me feel for the character because I knew where he was coming from, and a little bit of his life that he left behind to be a spy. He wouldn't be remembered, he was just a spy killed in the field, but he had memories, and people cared about him. 
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Pazy
@DanielJW said:
"big importat looking schematics lying out. "

I totally never thought about that until now, your taking pictures of birds which then kill themselves when theres schematics which are the normal spy thing to be spying apun. Maybe its foreshadowing, saying that this isnt actually a spy game?

Great post, glad to have your contribution.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I'll try to check it out tomorrow.