Project X Zone 2 or Fire Emblem: Fates?

ThatMattZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ThatMattZ

So, both of these games come out real soon and I am feeling the itch to play a turn based strategy game. I've played and beat Fire Emblem: Awakening on the difficulty level where your guys stay alive but are just removed from the battle if they die. Outside of Codename STEAM Fire Emblem was the first turn based strategy game that really clicked with me, and I REALLY enjoyed it.

I haven't played Project X Zone, but have been playing the demo for 2 and find myself really enjoying the "active" combat of the game. Plus the over the top attacks and mash up of characters is really intriguing.

Ideally I would buy both, but with a new child I just don't have the time to play as much as I used to. Right now I am leaning towards Fire Emblem: Fates - Birthright but I have to say Project X Zone 2 has really captured my attention.

Any suggestions?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I'm incredibly biased cause I love Fire Emblem so I'm going to say go for Fates

cooperb212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fire Emblem vs a game that should have not gotten a sequel. Quite easy of a choice really.

InstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By InstantRyan

I would probably lean towards recommending Fire Emblem. I never got around to finishing it but a lot of people say the first PXZ dragged out a lot longer than it should have. The main thing going for it was the more "action" oriented combat but it never really changes all that much so it gets repetitive. Fire Emblem will probably be the better overall package between the two.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm getting both, but I'd go with Fire Emblem. X Zone is good, but starts to wear out a bit when the battles get very long (up to an hour).

My vote: FE now, X Zone 2 when the price comes down.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

The first Project X Zone was not good in any way.

I played it for 70 hours and the gameplay is just as basic as it gets, and there isn't any story to speak of.
The gameplay is not strategic at all, you go up to your enemy, go into a more active system, but the thing is, every character plays the same, there is no finesse to it, you just do the same thing and see some fanservice.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X Zone has the best looking sprites to ever grace a screen, but at least in the first game, really starts to bog down after the first handful of battles.

Every Fire Emblem game is great. Play Fire Emblem.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fire Emblem. It's probably my most anticipated game of the year. Can't believe 3DS is still putting out bangers at this point. Really glad I didn't impulsively buy a New Nintendo 3DS.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ive never played a bad fire emblem game and as @atwa said:

The first Project X Zone was not good in any way.

I played it for 70 hours and the gameplay is just as basic as it gets, and there isn't any story to speak of.

The gameplay is not strategic at all, you go up to your enemy, go into a more active system, but the thing is, every character plays the same, there is no finesse to it, you just do the same thing and see some fanservice.

I played for 40 hours, Couldnt agree more. Sprites do look amazing.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I didn't play the first Project X Zone, but the general reception to it was not at all positive. On the other hand, Fire Emblem: Awakening is one of the best games on the 3DS, and it looks like this new Fire Emblem game is in the same league.

soupbones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

Fire Emblem for sure. Zone was good, but the tactics end of it felt weak in comparison to FE Awakening. Combat is Zone was fun though.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had to play and review the first Project X Zone for the review site I was writing for at the time. That was a nightmare of an experience.

This is a no brainer, get Fates.

ThatMattZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for all the insight. I'm gonna end up going with Fates - Birthright. Nice to hear the insight on the combat in X Zone not really changing that much. That was the main draw for me, but if I've seen basically everything it offers in the demo then I'll use my time to play what I am really looking for, a more solid tactics game.