PS3 Controller as a Steam Gamepad?

Zuldim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Zuldim

What with Steam's Big Picture mode launching, and gamepad support becoming more and more common (or even the preferred control scheme) with PC Ports, I was thinking it's about time I jump on the gamepad-on-PC-version bandwagon, especially since XCOM: Enemy Unknown's (the enemies are aliens) keyboard and mouse support seems a bit unrefined from the demo (which for all I know could be fixed by launch), and I'd like to try the gamepad support out for it.

My problem is that I do not own an Xbox 360, let alone a 360 controller. I do, however have a PS3, and a PS3 controller. I'm aware of the fact that 360 controllers are compatible Steam gamepads, but I have no idea how to get a PS3 controller to work, or if it's even possible. So my question to YOU duders is thus; Can I use a PS3 controller as a gamepad on my PS3, will I need any extra stuff or can I plug the USB charger straight into my computer, and how do I get Steam/my PC to recognize it? I'm using Windows Vista (Yes, I know. Trust me, I'm not happy about it either.), if that helps.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By onarum

I use http://www.motioninjoy.com/, works fantastic with the xbox 360 controller emulation with any game (and big picture).

I also recommend you get the offline version after you've installed(it's like a separate thing), the thing is that the dude who makes it uses a weird sort of ad supported thing and the manager will only work (for changing profiles, pairing controlers and such) when you're online, the offline thing fixes that.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

Motioninjoy. It's a right pain in the bum but it can do the very thing you ask.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Sooty

Unless you have an aversion to the 360 controllers I would pick one of those up instead. Maybe it's just my PS3 pad but the battery seems terrible compared to the 360, assuming you go for the wireless setup.

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Rayeth

Yes you can plug your PS3 controller in via USB, it works just fine.

As above the motioninjoy drivers are what you want. The offline version is better, natch, but the other one is serviceable if you have an always ready (ie not wireless/satellite/etc) internet connection that isn't prone to drops. But the offline version is much nicer. Then just set it to emulate a 360 and you're golden.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic

MotionInJoy = You're all set.

Zuldim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Zuldim

All right, thanks all! I appreciate it!

@Sooty said:

Unless you have an aversion to the 360 controllers I would pick one of those up instead. Maybe it's just my PS3 pad but the battery seems terrible compared to the 360, assuming you go for the wireless setup.

My main aversion to the 360 controller is, basically, I don't want to buy a controller for a system I don't even own, if one I already have can do the same thing. Plus, I'm gonna say it, from my experience with the 360, I like the PS3 controller more. Either way, I haven't really had much of a problem with battery life, and I'd be playing it plugged in, sitting at, or close to, my monitor, at least to start (and see how I like Big Picture).

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

MotionJoy is fine and dandy but before I bought an Xbox controller for PC play I had problems with the PS3 controller always disconnecting so I would constantly have to alt-tab out to reconnect.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By killacam

i've been trying to do this.. the software recognizes my dualshock (tests work and all that) but i can't get it to work for any games (super meat boy, for instance). is there some other step to be done? i don't see an option to switch to gamepad within the game..

tarvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tarvis

@killacam: If you've got the "Playstation 3" radial button checked, switch to "Xbox 360 Controller Emulator" instead.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Slaegar

As a person who doesn't even own a PS3. I would much rather use a PS3 controller as well since the Dpad on the 360 controller is such hot garbage.