• 62 results
ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By ch3burashka

Now that the PS3 Slim is out, the obvious question arises - will Microsoft ever put out a similar version of the 360? Will it be a chance for them to make the hardware more reliable, or will they bite the bullet (as they did) and issue the same 3 year warranty and rely instead on the exclusives, as they have so far?

Less rage, more thoughtful comments, please.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

This thread isn't going to end well.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By trophyhunter

noppe look at the 360 its an inhale

DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By DarkGamerOO7

No, the Xbox 360 is at a fine size, I actually dislike what Sony does with their Playstations, releasing a large unit and then a few years later release a Slim, why not just make the Slim from the get-go?

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By eroticfishcake

Don't you already have another thread similiar to this already?

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Babble
Avatar image for deactivated-5884be30433ec
deactivated-5884be30433ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@DarkGamerOO7 said:
" No, the Xbox 360 is at a fine size, I actually dislike what Sony does with their Playstations, releasing a large unit and then a few years later release a Slim, why not just make the Slim from the get-go? "
Sony have just read that and slapped themselves in the face. 

Do you not think they designed the original making it as small as possible based on the current technology in the system and cost. 
The slim also features a smaller transistor processor. 45nm instead of 65 I think. 45nm chip is only a recent thing.
HektikLyfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By HektikLyfe

I would be afraid of what heat issues the 360 would run into with a smaller form factor.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CL60

No and why did you post this same topic pretty much twice?

Lock is in the future.

HAMMERCLAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HAMMERCLAW

Being the owner of two 360s and having experienced four RRODs, I have to say the PS3 slim is kinda cute, in a cuddly sort of way. At least Sony's hardware division isn't fixated on a five year old design.
asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By asurastrike
@trophyhunter said:
" noppe look at the 360 its an inhale " -Jeff, Giant Bombcast
You should give credit to the people you quote.
Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gargantuan
@HAMMERCLAW said:
" Being the owner of two 360s and having experienced four RRODs, I have to say the PS3 slim is kinda cute, in a cuddly sort of way. At least Sony's hardware division isn't fixated on a five year old design. "
Yes they are, look at the PS3 controller, It's ancient.
intoblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By intoblivion
@Gargantuan said:
" @HAMMERCLAW said:
" Being the owner of two 360s and having experienced four RRODs, I have to say the PS3 slim is kinda cute, in a cuddly sort of way. At least Sony's hardware division isn't fixated on a five year old design. "
Yes they are, look at the PS3 controller, It's ancient. "

@Gargantuan:  

OOOOOO RA!
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By get2sammyb

Why so much hate all the time? Good grief.

In answer to the initial question, it's certainly a possibility but I don't think we'll see it for a year if it's going to happen.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Baillie

I can't see it happening, but it would be a good way to revamp their poorly designed console. (The breakdowns)

Stubert73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Stubert73

Yes, a slim(mer) 360 would spontaneously combust on store shelves. So, no, they will not make a slimmer one and hope the steps they have already taken will suffice. They will have to match the price with the Elite though.

Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Radar
  I would put money on a slim redesign alongside the Natal release. It would probably be the only thing they could do to break away from the stigma that the console breaks 50% of the time.

@HektikLyfe said:

" I would be afraid of what heat issues the 360 would run into with a smaller form factor. "

Slim = smaller chip sizes = less heat
ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ververdan0226

Steve Balmer: "So guys, we can do an Xbox 360 Slim, but the fail rate is double what it is now because we still can't figure that whole 'Red Ring of Death' thing out... It would cut production costs by 24% and the price by $80.

Microsoft Manufacturer: "........... fuck it, we're in!

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By FluxWaveZ

It'll be the Natal version.
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Azteck

inb4lock.

Over to you, MB.

HAMMERCLAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HAMMERCLAW
@Gargantuan said:
" @HAMMERCLAW said:

The playstaion dual-shock controller was a mile-stone in video gaming. It brought together or introduced key features which are now standard in virtually all console, and console style controllers today. The button layout of the 360 controller is almost identical, except for the analog sticks and pad. The vibration feature, dual analog sticks four shoulder buttons, all the best innovations, brought together in one neat package.  This controller practically Invented the modern video game. Let all us 360 fan-boys give credit where credit is due.
Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Lashe
@HAMMERCLAW: Let's credit Sony for not evolving a design that is fundamentally 12 years old. Umm. No. 

I'm honestly not fussed about slim consoles. I still have a PS2 phat, a PSP-1000 and I will not be trading in my PS3 phat for this new one, and I really hope MS don't give in to this and spend more money pumping out yet another SKU.
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#25  Edited By sjschmidt93
@Lashe said:
" @HAMMERCLAW: Let's credit Sony for not evolving a design that is fundamentally 12 years old. Umm. No.   I'm honestly not fussed about slim consoles. I still have a PS2 phat, a PSP-1000 and I will not be trading in my PS3 phat for this new one, and I really hope MS don't give in to this and spend more money pumping out yet another SKU. "
You don't change what isn't broken. 

And I've said this before, the point of the PS3 slim is so Sony can SAVE MONEY.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By xyzygy
@HAMMERCLAW said:
" @Gargantuan said:
" @HAMMERCLAW said:
The playstaion dual-shock controller was a mile-stone in video gaming. It brought together or introduced key features which are now standard in virtually all console, and console style controllers today. The button layout of the 360 controller is almost identical, except for the analog sticks and pad. The vibration feature, dual analog sticks four shoulder buttons, all the best innovations, brought together in one neat package.  This controller practically Invented the modern video game. Let all us 360 fan-boys give credit where credit is due. "
Ummm... no.  

NES controllers had the D-Pad. SNES Controllers had the 4 buttons (XYAB) AND shoulder buttons. N64 had the first analog stick and first rumble. 

Sony has been using the same boring ass design for almost 15 years with ideas that have all come before it. So don't say Sony created all those things, because they didn't. 

At least the 360 controller switched it up with the stick layout so it's actually comfortable with people who have larger hands. Having big hands myself, let me tell you, the placement of those sticks on the PS3 gets annoying.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By toowalrus

Microsoft didn't release a giant console, so  they don't have to worry about releasing a slim.

HAMMERCLAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HAMMERCLAW

Yeah, they really need to change that boring twelve year old design, that has become the industry standard, and copied by their rivals, shamelessly. After all, it breaks down every six months or so, and has to be sent in for repairs.......oops, sorry, that's the 360, isn't it?
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By xyzygy
@HAMMERCLAW said:

" Yeah, they really need to change that boring twelve year old design, that has become the industry standard, and copied by their rivals, shamelessly. After all, it breaks down every six months or so, and has to be sent in for repairs.......oops, sorry, that's the 360, isn't it? "

Haha, I was just proving you wrong. Which you were. You don't have to get all retard strong. 

... and how can it be copied by their rivals if they were the ones who copied as well? Wouldn't they both be copying from the same source? (Nintendo)

Think about things before you post them.
Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

immunity to RROD would be more appreciated 

HAMMERCLAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By HAMMERCLAW
@xyzygy said:
"@HAMMERCLAW said:

" Yeah, they really need to change that boring twelve year old design, that has become the industry standard, and copied by their rivals, shamelessly. After all, it breaks down every six months or so, and has to be sent in for repairs.......oops, sorry, that's the 360, isn't it? "

Haha, I was just proving you wrong. Which you were. You don't have to get all retard strong.  ... and how can it be copied by their rivals if they were the ones who copied as well? Wouldn't they both be copying from the same source? (Nintendo) Think about things before you post them. "

@xyzygy said:
"@HAMMERCLAW said:

Haha, I was just proving you wrong. Which you were. You don't have to get all retard strong.  ... and how can it be copied by their rivals if they were the ones who copied as well? Wouldn't they both be copying from the same source? (Nintendo) Think about things before you post them. "
Maybe YOU need to work on your reading comprehension skills instead sniggering like Beavis and Butthead. I said in my post " brought together or introduced key features". They created the modern console control by doing so. As for the way I respond to your empty-minded posts; if you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By xyzygy

@xyzygy said:

"@HAMMERCLAW said:

Maybe YOU need to work on your reading comprehension skills instead sniggering like Beavis and Butthead. I said in my post " brought together or introduced key features". They created the modern console control by doing so. As for the way I respond to your empty-minded posts; if you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen. "  
Beavis and Butthead? That came out of nowhere. My posts don't look very Beavis and Butthead-ish. I can post a link to see what they sound like to you, if you want.  

I stand by what I say... If Nintendo brought together all the key features that they had themselves created and put them onto the Gamecube... (Shoulder buttons, Analog, Rumble, They were the first of the console makers to make their own wireless controllers, (Dec. 2002), and 4 buttons) Then why are you giving so much credit so Sony? Gamecube was the first to have all of those on one controller. 

Microsoft and Sony copied from what Nintendo has been doing for many, many years. Get the hell over it.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Um...slimming down the ps3 doesn't actually make it more reliable, or make it better, it makes it smaller and thats all.
Sony slims down their systems because they know it will get them sales its an artificial bump in the minds of players that hey its different now i need to get that, so people that all ready own the system get it, and people that dont get it so thats more sales.

There would be absolutely no reason for microsoft to slim the 360 down as for that how do you know what the reliability number on 360's is now? last i checked it had gone down all we got now are people with older units geting rrod for the most part.

clapperdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By clapperdude
@Radar said: 
Slim = smaller chip sizes = less heat "  

I dont think that necessarily true. Chip sizes do get smaller, but they also keep getting hotter far as I know. It seems the smaller the chips get, the larger the cooling systems get actually. 
yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By yakov456
@DarkGamerOO7 said:
" No, the Xbox 360 is at a fine size, I actually dislike what Sony does with their Playstations, releasing a large unit and then a few years later release a Slim, why not just make the Slim from the get-go? "
I could just as easily say to Microsoft, why not make a 360 that works so a year or two down the road people don't have to buy a new one that supposedly works. 
HAMMERCLAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By HAMMERCLAW
@xyzygy:
Wireless is irrelevant, since I was talking about the controller  CONFIGURATION, not how it connects to the console. The dual-shock was the first to have the twin analog stick configuration. Did they copy Nintendo and others? Shamelessly. In fact, they were sued over the vibration feature and lost. In an apparent fit of anger, they dropped it, much to the chagrin of their fans, and subsequently restored it to the dual shock 3. There you have it; twin analog sticks directional pad shoulder buttons, vibration, all in one compact package. Compared to it, the N64 controller is a clunky dinosaur. Yet it has all the individual features that Sony improved and refined.
Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Black_Raven

Some design changes definitely need to be made to the 360, smaller though? Probably not a good idea...

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Black_Raven
@clapperdude said:
" @Radar said: 
 I dont think that necessarily true. Chip sizes do get smaller, but they also keep getting hotter far as I know. It seems the smaller the chips get, the larger the cooling systems get actually.  "
Well I would think the smaller the chip size the less voltages required to power it, anyway if overheating is the only real issue with the 360 now then they've come a long way since the launch consoles.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TwoOneFive

yeah, and then we would have a slim red ring of death to go along with it. fuck that. 

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By xyzygy
@HAMMERCLAW:  
  Hehe, but without Nintendo's ideas, there would be none of Sony's "improvements". You can't make a dual analog stick if an analog stick hasn't even been created or thought of. If Nintendo didn't create the analog stick, maybe we wouldn't have analog sticks to this day. And sure, Wireless has to do with configurations - no cords! More mobility! It does change the look of the controller, in most cases.

Also, I know this doesn't ahve anything to do with controllers, but who created the first online game service AND the staple of using a hard drive in consoles? Microsoft. Both of these features were implemented in PS3 after Sony seen how they were such good ideas.

Sony doesn't innovate. They take others ideas!
bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41  Edited By bwooduhs

I could see a redisigned Natal 360.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

We're fucking years into the Console wars & as has been the story for the past 2 years:  PS3 consoles do not fly off the shelves.  Hence they have to make a new one & scrap the other one because nobody else will buy it.  Meanwhile, the 360 just gets a few modifications made to it & the price is lowered.  Who has wasted more money on re-design?

You guessed it: Sorny. They're having to trash their existing design & re-engineer because they can't sell product.  Even now you gotta wonder how reliable it'll be.  Or do they just like wasting money trying to burn Mr. Softy's 2nd place steel grip?

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#43  Edited By bed
@natetodamax said:
" This thread isn't going to end well. "
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By get2sammyb

I have a question different to the OP but relevent slightly all the same. At what point can Microsoft cut the price of current 360 models no more. My logic is this: I've heard rumours Microsoft are gonna pull the 360 Elite down from £229 to £169 - if they do it, which I expect they will on the eve of the Slim, at what point does the consumer get the subconcious mindset that they're buying something cheap and "second-best"?

We all know that we generally perceive more expensive things as better right?

I'm just curious. If I detach myself totally from knowing anything about consoles, £169 for an XBOX just sounds wrong. Almost too cheap.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I think it's a fine size already, we don't need Microsoft cutting corners in design again.....

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
@ververdan0226 said:
" Steve Balmer: "So guys, we can do an Xbox 360 Slim, but the fail rate is double what it is now because we still can't figure that whole 'Red Ring of Death' thing out... It would cut production costs by 24% and the price by $80.  Microsoft Manufacturer: "........... fuck it, we're in! "
 Steve Balmer: okay guys we can do a 360 slim, we can decrease rrod even more but it will cost even more to manufacture.
EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By EdIsCool
@xyzygy said:
" @HAMMERCLAW said:

Besides the xbox controller is a carbon copy of the Dreamcast one.
Hilltroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Hilltroll

Seriously, is anyone going to buy a new PS3 because its now slim?  Was that  the one thing that was holding you back?  Yes I know its cheaper now which is much more interesting then it being 30% less bulky.  Its like news about different colored controllers, to me its god damn pointless.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#49  Edited By KamasamaK
@Black_Raven said:

" @clapperdude said:

" @Radar said: 
 I dont think that necessarily true. Chip sizes do get smaller, but they also keep getting hotter far as I know. It seems the smaller the chips get, the larger the cooling systems get actually.  "
Well I would think the smaller the chip size the less voltages required to power it "
Correct. Heat is a by-product of the power a device draws (specifically current flow). This is actually the primary reason for a die shrink of an existing architecture. The Slim consumes 34% less power, so less heat is produced. This also allows the fans to run at lower RPM, so it's quieter too.
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By OmegaPirate

INb4 LIND_L's sorny troll comm...oh shit 

on topic i dont really see the need for slimline versions of consoles other than for personal taste, and as has already been mentioned, another temptation for prospective buyers