LeYcH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#201  Edited By LeYcH

Boo fucking hoo.
Times change, you can always just stick to PC gaming.

dsi1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The no DRM hashtag worked because, internally, they were on the fence. Outside support swayed them to no DRM.

They aren't on the fence on this issue, all the new online services cost money, and you still paying $10 less a year than you would for Xbone Gold.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It's not entirely true that online play is absolutely locked behind the paywall. Free-to-Play games will still be able to go online without PS+ should the game's publisher choose to do so, according to Patrick's interview with that Sony exec. The payment feels more like a concession to the AAA; 'hey your games will be free over time so in return you'll get a share of X.' It is a concession I expected them to make and, while onerous, is not enough of a counterpoint for me to not buy the console. That is my decision as a consumer, though. But as others have mentioned at length, perhaps it isn't that, and perhaps it really is dedicated to the construction of a constant and dedicated infrastructure.

Commerce and services are a complex exchange between company and consumer, and these things are in constant motion. It seems that this time Sony has managed to convince a good part of its target audience that PS+ is worth this money and these limitations, where last time around, when they started, even the free service wasn't necessarily worth using at all. XBL isn't necessarily any worse right now, but their interplay with consumers is targeted at the casual market and people obsessed with having 'the ultimate x all in one box'.

SpartyOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#

Plus unlike Microsoft you don't need it for other payed services like Netflix. Sony has to get credit for at least not enforcing that policy.

Right. I'd say there's about a one in a million chance the Sony apologists saying that Sony is less evil than MS for this would suddenly be pushed too far at that point if Netflix wasn't behind the paywall. It's a complete flipflop, and shows that the pretend principled stance they had against it on the XBox was just fanboy ammo.

I can only post a few times per day because I'm a newb, but in general wanted to respond to the tone I've been receiving. First off, to those calling me lazy, greedy, selfish, etc etc etc. I'm in a better position to pay for PSPlus than the average gamer, and I probably voluntarily work more hours than the average gamer as well.

I've had PSPlus in the past. I own the console and a ridiculous library of games, 4 regular controllers, 2 move controllers, and the eye, and I've done my share of positive Sony pr and given them a few converts from the darkside. I have absolutely no issue with the price, or the value of PSPlus. My issue is one of principle. Not everyone is in my position financially, and to call those who are not lazy, greedy, cheap, hippie, aside from being ridiculously mean spirited and immature is a moot point. If anyone has an actual response to the following that doesn't devolve into namecalling or avoiding the issues, because "poor billionaire Sony, they're so kind to us, won't you please show appreciation for our lord and savior"

I'd argue that the biggest gamers are the laziest ones. The issue here is that something that has always been free is suddenly behind a paywall. I can game on my cellphone vs people around the world, and I don't see the tiny indie developers crying about how I'm not paying for their servers to do so. My cellphone has less restricted gaming than the PS4. That's pathetic. Second, Sony DOES NOT provide dedicated servers for gaming, as can be noted by many games using Peer2Peer, and some games having lag while others do not. If you'll notice, XBox hasn't done away with peer to peer FPS's.

All the 'improvements to the network' have come from software and firmware. It doesn't cost 10s of millions a month to maintain a storefront, and pay a handful of programmers to rearrange the tiles.

Gaikai admittedly will cost money to continue to expand it as more gamers come in, so I believe Gaikai should be behind a paywall, the streaming, and sharing features could also be behind a paywall. Instant streaming of demos can be behind a paywall. But if two random gamers who don't care about streaming, don't care about the free games, or beta access, or any of the other things that currently come with plus just want to play an online game with eachother, it should be just as free as picking up a second controller.

Playing online for free has been a feature of every internet connected device capable of gameplay (of which there are thousands) in history. MS was incredibly greedy to even conceive of the idea of pay to play online, and now the grand total of devices that don't allow free online play is 3. I pay for the console, the games, and the internet connection. The servers reside at the companies who make the games. This final payment to Sony to be allowed to use my own stuff is a toll they are collecting that has nothing to do with the act of connecting me to other gamers.

Please find a less desperate way to attack me, if you insist on doing so (for no apparent reason), I can assure you I have more than enough money to pay for this crap. My annoyance is forcing me to do so. And before you get the oh so brilliant idea to say "ok fine, get a wii-u then", first off, yes, I probably will. Secondly, I don't know when the regime change came into gaming where expressing my distaste for a defenseless multi-billion dollar corporation's actions became some horrible thing.

And finally someone pointed out that I just joined, and started this thread, and I'm probably trying to rally people to my cause. I think yes, it's pretty obvious that I'm trying to rally people to my cause, seeing as how the original post was a rallying call for people to join my cause, but I'm also interested in hearing opposing viewpoints that don't involve the types of things I'd hear over the headset on xbox live from 10 year olds, and I'll probably participate in the community in other ways as time goes on.

I won't attack you, I'll just correct you on a few points. First of all, to say that updating the PSN won't cost Sony millions because it's just "firmware and software" is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen on the internet in a while. Do you have any idea how much it costs to create software like that for a new console to the level the PS4's will (hopefully) be? I'll give you a hint: it's the amount you said it wasn't...millions. The reason people are attacking you is because you literally created a post asking people to hassle a LARGE number of people on twitter because of a perceived injustice without at least taking the time to consider that the rationale behind the decision was, in fact, rational. Your post reeks of a cause for the sake of a cause, and that bothers me.

Besides, if those games on your phone that have free multiplayer are giving you the same level of experience you get playing multiplayer games on consoles, then why bother buying a console? Oh right, because you expect a premium experience...and that costs money. Bitching about the cost of a hobby is ludicrous to me. Multiplayer isn't air, it isn't the right to vote....it's a service, and now it's a paid one.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@aerisbueller said:

E3 was fantastic for Sony in every way but one. Having to pay to play online isn't a small inconvenience, or "It's ok, I love Sony, and No DRM!", or "I already pay for PSPlus so it doesn't affect me"

Sony doesn't pay for the servers you play your online games on

Yet. MS is going to be spending TONS of money on dedicated servers in the next generation, and Sony is going to have to do the same thing if they want to compete. If everything is peer to peer, you might have a point, but I doubt that will be the case. If Sony wants to compete with MS, not many games will be peer to peer.

Sony has already given gamers more than enough reason to support them in the next generation. It's sad to see a company offer its customers so much--FAR more than their competitor--only to see a bunch of those customers turn around and demand even more.

This statement, I agree with completely. You even get free games while being a PS+ subscriber throughout the time. I don't even care that I'll have to pay.