• 105 results
BaconBits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BaconBits

Disclaimer: I have't seen today's UPF yet so for all I know this is old news.

Just like the title says, Dan and Jeff will be at a panel at AX2018 in L.A. alongside Crunchyroll. CR is asking their audience to send in 30 second clips of their favorite series to convince Dan and Jeff to watch said series.

So, I know there are quite a few anime loving duders on this site (I got back into it after a 8 year hiatus), who's going to send those My Hero Academia clips of All Might punching dudes into outer space using the power of America because that's a guaranteed way to get Dan pumped?

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2018/06/28-1/submit-anime-clips-for-the-giant-bomb-x-crunchyroll-anime-101-panel-at-anime-expo

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I sent the bit from Kill la Kill where Gamagoori fights those guys on the highway, talking about his "towering hardness" reaching a "climax". There are probably(there definitely are) better clips from that show, but that's the one that came to mind.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I think they'd hate Kill la Kill.

Now that they've opened these floodgates and I have a slightly better idea of what they do and don't like, I'll need to find a 30 second clip of Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and send it to them.

BaconBits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: It'll probably help if it's a dubbed clip.

Yah, Kill la Kill might put them off with the cheesy fan service, Kill la Kill is one of my new faves, but I know I rolled my eyes when I first watched it.

Potential candidates:

One Punch Man

Gurren Lagann

My Hero Academia

Black Lagoon

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess this timeline is not all bad! Two years ago I would never have predicted GB and Crunchyroll would collaborate on something like this.

Indeed this is slightly old news since it was discussed during an ep of All Systems Goku.

One Piece is my absolute favorite but that series is way to long to recommend to Jeff & Dan I guess (but they should definitely check it out).

I was trying to think of a short-ish series that has interesting battles (seems like part of what they appreciate about DBZ) and came up with Law of Ueki, but unfortunately this series isn't on CR so I'm guessing it's not eligible. Same story for Get Backers (if there's a theme here, it's that I haven't watched much recent anime...)

For now I'm thinking a clip from Kaiji might do the trick.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Justin258

@justin258: It'll probably help if it's a dubbed clip.

Worth noting to everybody - Jeff and Dan are probably going to prefer dubbed. Sorry, subbed purists, if you want them to watch something you should probably submit it dubbed. Gotta take what you can get.

My Hero Academia sounds like a great one, but I don't know if I want to recommend to them a show that isn't finished yet.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BladedEdge

Also just to note. If you can't attend, the announcement from crunchyroll itself found Here state's, to quote.

"If you are not in the LA area and can’t make it down to Crunchyroll HQ we will be live streaming to Twitch and Facebook on Thursday from 3 - 6pm PDT and Friday from 1-2pm PDT."

To wit, the Giantbomb segment is on Thursday at 3 pm PDT, meaning it will be streamed via crunchy-rolls twitch (and archived there I assume). For the many of us who might be interested in this, but don't live in the area and can't attend.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

We've come a long way from ironic Crunchyroll bombcast ads. What a weird place the world is.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought I would hate that show as well, until I watched it. The way they take some of the worst aspects of anime (or maybe just shonen, specifically) and crank them all up well past the point of absurdity is just perfect. Reinvigorated my interest in the genre in a big way. And honestly, after they've gone through a dreadfully long show like DBZ that just fucking drags on and on, something like Kill la Kill that does all of the bombastic fight scenes and crazy bullshit way better than just about everything while moving at a lightning fast pace might be just what the doctor ordered. It certainly was for me.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zeik

I assume the sending in clips thing is just supposed be a gag, since I can't think of any good anime I could convince someone to watch with a 30 second clip, unless they were already interested.

Maybe Full Metal Alchemist or My Hero Academia, if you pick the right fight scene, but all the best ones are only so good because of the build up to it.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@relkin: The thing though is that if you watch Kill La Kill as one of your first exposures to anime a lot of the jokes parodying the genre may not land. It's a show that's great for fans of anime, but probably not a great entry point.

Kamui97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

gurren lagann has long been the thing i want dan to watch the most. better get on that, i guess.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BaconBits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can see Trigun working for them, action-y but not edgelord-y.

Plus, the episodes are fairly self contained 'monster of the week' affairs to start. Can't remember any one scene though.

Maybe some Cowboy Bebop

Avatar image for genericbrotagonist
GenericBrotagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still think 30 seconds is way too short. That's like a single punch in most shonen. The stuff I thought of were two minutes minimum, chop off any less than that and they completely lose their emotional impact.

oodli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there any Jojo clip that could convince them to watch it?

Sulcath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also want to second Trigun and Cowboy Bebop. I think Bebop is perfect, but it might take itself a little too seriously for them. Trigun may be perfect but I'm at a loss for what 30 seconds would work. I'm thinking maybe something involving donuts and combat.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Parasyte and Psycho-Pass are pretty dope. OPM is an obvious one. I don't know if Jeff has seen it, but I think he'd be pretty into Initial D, and that is an easy show to put in a 30 second clip.

It's a real bad show to put into a 30 second clip, but Monster is the greatest thing ever put to animation.

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By vasta_narada

If Golden Kamuy weren't both unfinished and only subbed, I would think it would be 100% up Jeff and Dan's alley. Oh well. Anyone want to cook up some clips from Baccano?

@oodli said:

How about the one from Stardust Crusaders where Jotaro has to play an F-Zero knock-off for his soul, and the reveal is that he has no idea what the fuck he's doing and it was Joseph doing the playing? Jeff mentioned that he doesn't like the art style of JoJo, but it changes every saga so maybe the other styles would be more to his taste?

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I feel like I remember Jeff being into Polar Bears Cafe and coupled with what I've heard from ASG I feel like Jeff and Dan's tastes are actually wildly different.

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheChris

Baccano for some Snatch/Guy Richie esque characters and Tarantino based violence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOZ1hsb8smQ

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could see both Jeff and Dan being into the totally ridiculous G Gundam. I think seeing Neo-America's Football/Boxer/Surfer/Gunslinger Gundam would sell Dan pretty hard.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Also I remember Jeff saying that the art style for Jojo wasn't really doing it for him for whatever reason but that could just change over time.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaspower said:

Also I remember Jeff saying that the art style for Jojo wasn't really doing it for him for whatever reason but that could just change over time.

If the Darby the Younger victory clip doesn't convince them to watch, nothing will.

randombullseye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I know EXACTLY which 30 seconds of Berserk to send them. I'm suggesting they watch the 1990s Berserk over the movies or new anime, I think everybody here knows exactly which 30 seconds I'm talking about.

It's when he kills that snake man in the first episode and decides to just keep on torturing him shooting him with arrows. That scene definitely represents what Berserk is.

Avatar image for deactivated-63c06c6e81315
deactivated-63c06c6e81315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That 30 second time limit is brutal. I scrubbed through One Punch Man multiple times, but none of the good stuff fits into that. It's a shame 'cause Saitama punching that meteor perfectly sums up the show, but 30 seconds means that you'll lose the punchline no matter what.
30 seconds seems like it's just good for quick visual gags, but I don't know if anime memes is what's gonna get Jeff and Dan to watch more shows.
Maybe I can find a cool clip from Samurai Champloo...

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Redhotchilimist

@briarpack: I think you can fit Vaccine Man's overconfident monologue and Saitama punching him to bits into 30 seconds.

I sent them a goof from One Piece and Hinamatsuri, the parakeet from Nichijou and that bit in Gurren lagann where Kamina's sword just keeps getting longer. I don't really expect any of them to ignite Dan or Jeff's enthusiasm for the shows, but I think those are some funny, short clips.

MrGreenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

I suggested this before and even submitted this clip for them. I just think everyone should see how bat shit this OVA is. It's only like 50 min so it's not even much of a time investment.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wouldn't you love to be these guys? Shit on Anime for years, then ironically watch the most entry level thing and end up doing a panel at it's biggest show. Pretty rad. Shoutout to anyone who was at A/X 2007. Woot Woot!

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By 49th

Yeah, 30 seconds seems way too short for anime - the thing synonymous with ridiculous amounts of exposition and unnecessary monologues and cutaways. I tried to get a One Punch Man clip but I can either include the punch line with no real context and a ton of wasted time or include 30 seconds of the cool part and miss the joke which makes the whole clip pointless.

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sulcath: Cowboy Bebop would be pretty cool for them to watch, especially if they did a podcast talking about the episodes afterwards!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uhtaree said:

Wouldn't you love to be these guys? Shit on Anime for years, then ironically watch the most entry level thing and end up doing a panel at it's biggest show. Pretty rad. Shoutout to anyone who was at A/X 2007. Woot Woot!

The funny thing is that I don't think they wanted to watch DBZ ironically. Dan definitely didn't - he was pretty excited about trying it out. Jeff maybe, but he played Fighter Z and seemed actually interested in watching DBZ.

As a more general comment, I agree that thirty second clips are generally too short, but there are two reasons I can think of for limiting it to thirty seconds. Perhaps they want to expose themselves to as many different things as possible - if all of the clips were 2 minutes long, they would only see a quarter of the clips they would see if they were thirty seconds long. They also might want to avoid copyright infringement - I am not a lawyer so I might be wrong, but any more than thirty seconds might qualify as a public presentation of something they don't have the rights to show. And they're streaming this thing, too, which makes this whole thing even murkier when it comes to copyright law.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really think Jojo`s Bizzare Adventure would be a good fit both for something Jeff and Dan would enjoy (especially Dan) and for them doing a show about it. It has a really good mix of dumb comedy and cool action that would make it a fun topic to discuss.

As others have said finding a thirty second long clip that can work without knowledge of the world or characters and that contains both the setup and the payoff is pretty much impossible, so this might end up just being a clip show of weird gags. Which could be funny, but not really a great way to see whether or not you would want to watch an anime.

@oodli said:

Jotaro beating up Dan of Steel and writing him a receipt is pretty great, but I think Jotaro Punches him for more than thirty seconds so you would have to start the clip in the middle of the beatdown which would probably ruin it a bit.

It would be a spoiler for the en of Part 3. but Dio throwing a road roller on Jotaro could also be a fun clip.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@relkin said:
@justin258 said:

I thought I would hate that show as well, until I watched it. The way they take some of the worst aspects of anime (or maybe just shonen, specifically) and crank them all up well past the point of absurdity is just perfect. Reinvigorated my interest in the genre in a big way. And honestly, after they've gone through a dreadfully long show like DBZ that just fucking drags on and on, something like Kill la Kill that does all of the bombastic fight scenes and crazy bullshit way better than just about everything while moving at a lightning fast pace might be just what the doctor ordered. It certainly was for me.

I loved Gurren Lagann and I absolutely hated Kill la Kill. Not even counting some of the low budget animation at times, to me it took those tropes and yah it tried to turn them on their head, but they were still those tropes. I love goofy stuff and I'm by no means someone that gets huffy puffy about stuff, but everything about that show didn't jive with me.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:
@relkin said:
@justin258 said:

I loved Gurren Lagann and I absolutely hated Kill la Kill. Not even counting some of the low budget animation at times, to me it took those tropes and yah it tried to turn them on their head, but they were still those tropes. I love goofy stuff and I'm by no means someone that gets huffy puffy about stuff, but everything about that show didn't jive with me.

But you loved Gurren Lagann? That makes no sense at all. This sounds like one of those things I catch myself doing from time to time, where I don't know why I feel the way I do and have convinced myself that I think that way for what sounds like a good reason, even if it doesn't hold up to the light.

BaconBits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BaconBits

Damn, 3 seconds over the limit

Loading Video...

ayopch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still can't believe this is actually happening. Jeff and Dan, anime boys, who would've thought.

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That 30 second time limit is brutal. I scrubbed through One Punch Man multiple times, but none of the good stuff fits into that. It's a shame 'cause Saitama punching that meteor perfectly sums up the show, but 30 seconds means that you'll lose the punchline no matter what.

30 seconds seems like it's just good for quick visual gags, but I don't know if anime memes is what's gonna get Jeff and Dan to watch more shows.

Maybe I can find a cool clip from Samurai Champloo...

Saitama punching the beetle dude and realizing he forgot about the Saturday sale?

I bet any clip of an action scene from Samurai Champloo will be interesting to them. That show's got the kind of style they'd be into.

Capasso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I seriously hope someone sends them some Hokuto no Ken/Fist of the North Star clips. That anime has it all.

No Caption Provided

I believe Jeff might be somewhat familiar with the series from playing so many bad games throughout the years, but it seriously is one of the greats.

Jojo might be too bizarre for them, and Hunter x Hunter, while a great followup to Dragonball if you want to go deeper into shonen stuff, is probably too long and not silly enough for them.

One punch man is cool, but I think they need a deeper knowledge of anime before being capable of fully appreciating some of the tropes they make fun of in it.

matiaz_tapia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sent them some, but 30 seconds is not enough. Plenty of out of context gags and extreme violence tho.

Don't want them to watch overlord, but I'm glad the whole introduction of the 6 arms ( I think that was the name..) And them getting decapitated immediately was exactly 30 seconds.

Moderp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went to anime expo 2016 only having watched a couple 90's animes such as Berserk and initial D. I will say, I loved that Dark Horse panel. I think they're like a manga publisher but I bet jeff would love the stuff they got to show, it's super stylish and... dark.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By cerberus3dog

If they do anything after DBZ, IMO One Punch Man should absolutely be the next thing they watch. It's not even a question in my mind. Easily understood, great satire and comedy, superb action. It's basically a condensed, more comedic DBZ with better action.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cerberus3dog:

I agree. One Punch Man seems obvious. Not counting special episodes, it’s 12 twenty-something minute episodes on Netflix. It would be quicker for them to just watch the season than it would be to debate whether or not they should watch the show.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

A lot of people saying 30s isn't nearly enough, but I managed to get away with only using 20s for my suggestion:

Loading Video...

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Puchiko

I would submit a clip of SAO Alternative Gun Gale Online if I could. It has a lot of gunkata which Dan loves and the characters are interesting and relatable. You don't need to watch the previous SAO as well since its a side story. The final battle is one of the most exciting/clever I've seen this season second only to the All Might vs All for One battle.

LtTibbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Yu Yu Hakusho would be a good fit for them or maybe One Punch Man but I think the joke would wear thin for them quickly.

MrGreenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

anything much more than 30 seconds makes doing a panel like this very difficult as well as having to go through all of them to have ready for the show as well can be very time consuming.