• 178 results
#101 Posted by Hailinel (25785 posts) -

@hailinel said:

Well, if there's any truth to this:

Then the guy doesn't strike me as being particularly intelligent or difficult to capture.

Wow. He must be bullshitting, right? I have a hard time believing that someone can be that audacious. Either way, I hope they nail these fuckers.

One wonders. But given everything else coming out of the Twitter feed, the perpetrator doesn't exactly strike me as a criminal mastermind. And as others have said, DDOS attacks aren't complicated. This really could just be some sixteen-year-old shithead in his Las Vegas basement that is completely oblivious to the consequences of his actions.

#102 Posted by Stonyman65 (3808 posts) -

@marokai said:

It is sort of disturbing how evidently easy it is to bring all these services to their knees. Though I know that's nothing new, seeing it demonstrated is always a sad reminder of exactly how fragile they are.

The larger and more complicated systems become, the easier it is to take them down. You don't have to be smart, you just need to know the weaknesses of the system, and overloading the servers with DDoS attacks is something they can't protect against all that well. Honestly, I'm kind of surprised this sort of thing doesn't happen more often.

#103 Posted by Stonyman65 (3808 posts) -

I sincerely hope they aren't being serious with that ISIS jihad stuff. As if the DDoS attacks and bomb threats were bad enough, talking about terrorist shit isn't going to help them much. The feds are gonna nail their ass to the wall!

#104 Posted by TruthTellah (9821 posts) -

I sincerely hope they aren't being serious with that ISIS jihad stuff. As if the DDoS attacks and bomb threats were bad enough, talking about terrorist shit isn't going to help them much. The feds are gonna nail their ass to the wall!

Considering ISIS just goes by "The Islamic State" now, it seems pretty clear that they're just dicking around to get more attention. They know everyone hates ISIS(IS now), and they're cribbing off that notoriety.

#105 Edited by Cirdain (3797 posts) -

@truthtellah: I think everyone should still say isis because "Islamic state " gives Islam a bad name. And hmmmm.....

Actually no, stop that thought. In the end I guess it's a statistical thing. Are the majority of Islamic people, in the world not just in your country, on ISIS' side philosophically speaking?

#106 Posted by impartialgecko (1941 posts) -

@mcfart said:

@spoonman671 said:

@adam1808 said:

Well this went from dumb to fucking reprehensible pretty quickly didn't it?

What's the betting that they're targeting Sony because Sony's an easy target? I'd say Microsoft would be able to return the favour and then some.

Uh, Xbox Live is down too now. Microsoft doesn't have any techno-wizardry that these guys are afraid of.

I think he means that money is no object for MS, and they'll hunt the DDOSers down to the ends of the earth if they have to.

Correct. MS has the deep pockets to make life a living hell for this guy(s) whereas Sony would probably just be content with having their service back up.

#107 Posted by Hailinel (25785 posts) -

@cirdain said:

@truthtellah: I think everyone should still say isis because "Islamic state " gives Islam a bad name. And hmmmm.....

Actually no, stop that thought. In the end I guess it's a statistical thing. Are the majority of Islamic people, in the world not just in your country, on ISIS' side philosophically?

Well, Isis is also the name of an Egyptian goddess with no ties to Islam, so statistically speaking, popular usage of ISIS to refer to the terrorist group is lagging behind by several millennia.

#108 Edited by TruthTellah (9821 posts) -

@cirdain said:

Actually no, stop that thought. In the end I guess it's a statistical thing. Are the majority of Islamic people, in the world not just in your country, on ISIS' side philosophically?

Most Muslims and even most Islamic terrorist groups seem to not be on ISIS's side. Al Qaeda even distanced themselves from them.

"ISIS" just stands for "The Islamic State in Iraq and Syria". They recently shortened it to "The Islamic State" for public relations purposes. Many people in Iraq and Syria disagree with them and their methods, but they do agree with an Islamic State separate from those governments. So, ISIS is currently taking advantage of some legitimate cultural divisions to try to expand its influence in the region.

#109 Posted by impartialgecko (1941 posts) -

@hailinel: Wouldn't even a rudimentary understanding of how to orchestrate a ddos also result in you having some notion of what could happen if you don't cover your tracks? Strikes me that any hacker worth his/her salt wouldn't be stupid enough to broadcast the fact, but then again I'm not exactly up on what goes on within those communities.

#110 Posted by Hailinel (25785 posts) -

@adam1808 said:

@hailinel: Wouldn't even a rudimentary understanding of how to orchestrate a ddos also result in you having some notion of what could happen if you don't cover your tracks? Strikes me that any hacker worth his/her salt wouldn't be stupid enough to broadcast the fact, but then again I'm not exactly up on what goes on within those communities.

Quite possibly. But from the way that the guy has presented himself on Twitter, it doesn't seem that we're dealing with a criminal mastermind here. Even the lulzsec group that actually hacked PSN several years ago, and who also broadcasted their antics on Twitter for entertainment value, was busted and put through the criminal justice system.

#111 Posted by Basm321 (421 posts) -

PSN isn't back up for me :/

#112 Posted by impartialgecko (1941 posts) -

@hailinel: It's kind of insane that this kind of destructive capability is accessible to complete idiots. Then again, if they were all sensible about the information they broadcast we wouldn't get the satisfaction of seeing them brought to justice I suppose.

#113 Edited by BisonHero (11579 posts) -

@hailinel said:

Well, this escalated quickly.

No Caption Provided

@hailinel said:

@conmulligan said:

@hailinel said:

The feds are probably already after the dude (dudes?) because of the fake bomb threat and the previous attacks.

Fake bomb threats are a federal offense, so regardless of the DDOS attack, the person or people responsible for this have committed a serious felony that is almost certainly being investigated right now.

In short, the the lizard people have fucked themselves.

Is there any indication that they're based in the States? If they're not, I imagine bringing them to justice will be much more difficult. The US can and has extradited people for cyber-crimes (sometimes under questionable circumstances), but even if they can identify them and get an extradition warrant together that would probably be a multi-year process.

Well, if there's any truth to this:

Then the guy doesn't strike me as being particularly intelligent or difficult to capture.

The whole "I'm Brian Willson from Las Vegas" thing is almost certainly him just making up a name, or Brian Willson is some guy the perp doesn't like at high school (which would actually help narrow the search down considerably, because then the actual perp is from Las Vegas or at least previously lived in Las Vegas and is somehow a personal acquaintance of a Brian Willson from Las Vegas).

#114 Edited by BisonHero (11579 posts) -

@alevan said:

@hailinel: I hope so. I took one look at his twitter feed and even without the bomb threats or the ddos attacks I never wanted to punch a random online person in the face so bad.

Let's assume his face looks something like this, because that sure is the sort of dopey expression I expect to see on a teenage face once he realizes the feds will find him:

No Caption Provided

#115 Posted by MetalBaofu (1705 posts) -
@basm321 said:

PSN isn't back up for me :/

What system? I seem able to log in on my PS3 and Vita, but not my PS4. Once I saw I could get online on my PS3 I went to see if I could play a couple matches of Garden Warfare on my PS4, but it still won't connect.

#116 Posted by Hailinel (25785 posts) -

@bisonhero: Yeah, I doubt it's his real name, either. If it was, he'd be extraordinarily stupid, but if he was actually dumb enough to call in a bomb threat to an airline in addition to committing a DDOS attack against Sony and broadcast his antics on Twitter, I'm guessing that he's leaving a trail of some sort.

#117 Posted by Basm321 (421 posts) -
#118 Edited by Corevi (6796 posts) -
@hailinel said:

@bisonhero: Yeah, I doubt it's his real name, either. If it was, he'd be extraordinarily stupid, but if he was actually dumb enough to call in a bomb threat to an airline in addition to committing a DDOS attack against Sony and broadcast his antics on Twitter, I'm guessing that he's leaving a trail of some sort.

He posted multiple photos of his face so it's already over.

Whoever Brian Wilson is got doxed as well.

#119 Posted by Hailinel (25785 posts) -

@hailinel said:

He posted multiple photos of his face so it's already over.

Truly, as far as criminal geniuses go, this guy is the antithesis of the Unabomber.

#120 Posted by poisonjam7 (540 posts) -

In some ways, I think the world was better off without the internet.... Bringing so many people from around the world closer isn't always a good thing.

#121 Edited by RonGalaxy (4936 posts) -

Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys is ddosing video game companies and making terrorist threats? We live in some confusing times. I guess....

God Only Knows

No Caption Provided

#122 Posted by Maddman60620 (209 posts) -

The world wasn't better without the internet, it's more like the world's worst has gotten bolder after the internet......

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
#123 Posted by deactivated-57d3a53d23027 (1460 posts) -

Lmao @ hackers

Script kiddies 4 lyfe

We need you to make use of your two button keyboard and counter-hack them with a pure-binary honeypot.

#124 Posted by Wacomole (1176 posts) -

With all the stuff going on in the world in the recent news, this whole bomb threat malarkey has to be right up there amongst one of the most idiotic and possibly suicidal actions one could perform at a time like this.

He better pray that he's not holding any sort of game controller in his hand when they burst through the door/window/entire-side-of-his-house.

BTW. If you look at the SOE chief's twitter feed, one of the people he recently followed is called Bryce Wilson (aka. "Headshot"). Probably where the dude plucked the name from.

#125 Posted by Demoskinos (17458 posts) -

So the PSN status page says its up and online yet I can't get on on my PS4 anyone have luck?

#126 Posted by stryker1121 (2171 posts) -

Savant computer ninja fleshopod misanthropes are why you should never respond to trolls, ever. Next day your identity will be stolen and you'll have those secret BDSM pix you took on the Time Square video screen.

#127 Posted by Basm321 (421 posts) -

@afrofools: your response to that fella just made my day!

So I still can't connect to psn on ps4. I heard some folks have had luck on ps3.

Has anyone had any luck with psn,xbla,bnet, or LoL?

#128 Posted by Demoskinos (17458 posts) -

@basm321:

Haven't turned on my PS3 but I do seem to be able to connect with my Vita. I can even access the store and the website seems to be up now as well. Just PS4 issues for whatever reason.

#129 Posted by Redbullet685 (6481 posts) -

No luck connecting to PSN on PS4. Fucking dumb kid. Ugh.

#130 Edited by yakov456 (2021 posts) -

I'm good to go with my Vita and ps3, not with the ps4 though. With scheduled maintenance set for tomorrow I'm wondering how they are going to handle this issue rolling into that.

#131 Posted by Hailinel (25785 posts) -

Imagine how fucked this situation could have been if the PS4 was an always-online console.

#132 Edited by Tharrington (159 posts) -

I've been able to use Netflix and Amazon Prime on PS4 but not any game servers. Curious. Hopefully all this crap will be done with soon.

#133 Posted by Basm321 (421 posts) -

@tharrington: curious, have you tried any games aside from diablo 3(that's all I've tried)

@hailinel: glad you have something workin'

#134 Edited by MetalBaofu (1705 posts) -

Yeah. PS3 and Vita still seem to be working fine, but still can't connect to PSN on PS4. As mentioned, I can use Netflix on it(watching that now).

@basm321 said:

@tharrington: curious, have you tried any games aside from diablo 3(that's all I've tried)

I played some Counterspy on PS4 earlier. I can play it fine, but it can't connect for any leader boards or the rival agent stuff.

Edit: Restarted my PS4 after I made this post and it has connected to PSN. I haven't tried any games, but I can see my friends/messages/trophies.

Avatar image for thebluthcompany
#135 Posted by TheBluthCompany (478 posts) -

@basm321: I totally will when PSN works!

PSN Name: KevSco42

#136 Edited by MetalBaofu (1705 posts) -

I started up Counterspy and it works fine. Can see leader boards and the rival spy stuff works. Then I started up Garden Warfare and it couldn't connect to EA servers. Tried it again a few minutes later and it's connected, and I am currently in a match. Downside is that the match only has 3 people in it.

Edit: The match filled up after a minute or so.

#137 Edited by Coolarman (1398 posts) -

Went to try to play Last of Us Multiplayer and sure enough couldn't connect.

Between bomb threats and ddosing the person/people involved are real desperate attention seekers

#138 Edited by Quid_Pro_Bono (1130 posts) -

The SOE president said there are multiple "channels" which are used to connect different devices or services to PSN, so it makes sense that only certain combinations of game/system are working properly at the moment. The way he was explaining it on twitter, it seems like they're able to bring combinations back online one at a time.

#139 Posted by TannerMcC (7 posts) -

Just for the record, Brian Willson (AKA Fearmytalent, famedgod) is on his twitter posting that hes that one responsible for the PSN being down and claiming that the lizard guys are taking credit. Then hes posting "their IPs" so people can find them.

The lizard guys are probably putting his name up as retaliation for this.

It's odd watching these two sides try and ruin their lives for whatever fame they receive from this. The guys in 2011 took PSN down for a month and I have no memory of who they are.

#140 Posted by DonChipotle (3521 posts) -

Just for the record, Brian Willson (AKA Fearmytalent, famedgod) is on his twitter posting that hes that one responsible for the PSN being down and claiming that the lizard guys are taking credit. Then hes posting "their IPs" so people can find them.

The lizard guys are probably putting his name up as retaliation for this.

It's odd watching these two sides try and ruin their lives for whatever fame they receive from this. The guys in 2011 took PSN down for a month and I have no memory of who they are.

Man this is like a dumb movie. It's like Hackers but for the new millennium. Only this time there's no Angelina Jolie with a pixie cut, just a bunch of assholes being assholes.

Hack the PSN is the new Hack the Gibson.

HACK THE PLANET HACK THE PLANET HACK THE PLANET

#141 Posted by kindgineer (3102 posts) -

I really hope they find themselves facing charges for the bomb threat.

#142 Posted by Demoskinos (17458 posts) -

Finally was able to log back onto PSN on PS4. Albeit at 1am right when i'm going to sleep but hey...hopefully this means I can play the PS4 version of FFXIV tomorrow instead of the PC version.

#143 Edited by Cirdain (3797 posts) -

@yoshisaur: Well now they've taken down the Vatican State website.

#144 Posted by Hailinel (25785 posts) -
#145 Posted by glots (4336 posts) -

Able to download stuff over here as well. Haven't digged anymore information about this since yesterday, but I'd love to hear of any possible consequences for these idiots.

#146 Posted by Cirdain (3797 posts) -
#147 Posted by ripelivejam (13188 posts) -

wonder what sony's going to do for us to make up for this horrible inconvenience!!! kidding

(i do have my credit card on my account and it wasn't so long ago that someone used it to put $150 on my wallet to use, ermm....)

#148 Posted by Rotnac (1264 posts) -

@thunderslash: Yeah, some 13 year old girl from the Netherlands made a really short sighted bomb threat joke to American Airlines on Twitter several months ago. It did not stop the local authorities in her area to track her down.

What these Lizard Squad people or person is doing is far more malicious and incredibly moronic. After all the shit storms caused I would be more surprised if they don't get locked up for a really long time.

#149 Posted by Castiel (3476 posts) -

@hailinel:

Brian Wilson is apparently also the name of former Beach Boys member that has performed in Las Vegas. So he could just be messing with them.

#150 Posted by Shindig (4944 posts) -

You'd only do this if you were sure the internet provided you with anonymity. Can twitter be used to trace who was producing the tweets, at least? Britain prosecutes people who use dumb twitter threats.