PSVR-Glasses and other questions

Wolf3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Okay...so Sony's pricing this thing really aggressively, to the point where I think I'm willing to just give it a shot even though I don't know if it works for me, so I've got piles of questions maybe people can help with...

-I understand it works with glasses...is that annoying? And if I'm nearsighted, is there a chance I could use this WITHOUT glasses? I mean it's sticking a screen right on my face, so I sort of feel like doesn't that mean I could just see it without my glasses like I read my iPad from a foot away or half a foot away or whatever?

-It doesn't come with headphones? Does that mean you need a wired pair of over the ear headphones to use with it?

-It uses the camera for tracking I guess, so even though you can move around, I assume you have to sort of have the camera a certain distance and aimed at you, and have to face it?

-Do you need the "move" controllers? I bought some YEARS ago on PS3 and hated them, sold them almost immediately. They didn't really work at all...in fact they worked way worse for me than the Wii's controllers, and I hated those too. Frankly I'd rather just play games with the regular controller, I think... Plus that adds $100-200 or whatever more to the cost!

-Can you use PSVR to play ANY PS4 game even if it's not supported? Like can you use it to just display a virtual TV basically, so that even though it's flat, it can be used as a TV of sorts? (I might just have my PS4 Pro situated somewhere without a TV if that's the case, just always use it with PSVR)

-Do you have to buy new special versions of Skyrim and Fallout 4 to have them be VR versions, and if so are they the full games, just made to explicitly support PSVR?

-Because of it's backwards compatibility, I'm standardizing on Xbox One X, so anyone heard if it's going to support VR, like if I could just be playing Skyrim and Fallout 4 in VR over there?

elmorales94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By elmorales94
  1. Doesn't seem like there would be much room for glasses in this particular headset. I have heard of nearsighted folks having a fine time in VR, but that's anecdotal.
  2. I seem to remember the headset coming with a pair of earbuds, but that's not the ideal way to experience VR. You'll want to have a pair of over-the-ear headphones handy.
  3. Different distances work for different games. There's a standard recommendation of eight feet from the camera, but I've done just fine with about seven. Then I got a new couch that comes out a bit further from the wall, so I can basically never play Job Simulator again. YMMV
  4. Not all games require Move controllers, but many do. It'd be best to dig into whatever individual games you're interested in and see what controller configurations they support.
  5. Yes. I have played Overwatch on a big fake virtual screen just to test it out. It's weird and dumb.
  6. You have to buy specifically labelled VR versions on those games. The standard release of Fallout and remaster of Skyrim won't come with the VR versions.
  7. I don't believe Xbox has even mentioned VR in over a year. It doesn't seem like they'll be hopping on that train anytime soon. But that's just my sense of the situation as a consumer, so I could be totally wrong.
ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By ShaggE

Regarding the glasses thing: They absolutely work with glasses, you just have to be careful/get third-party lens guards. I have scratches on my right headset lens because of my glasses. But there's room. And yeah, speaking for my nearsighted self, you'll probably still need to wear them to see. I don't know the whys and hows, but my eyes treat the "distance" in the headset like they do real distance, and blur just the same.

Of course, my vision is truly terrible, so that might affect things too.

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guy above answered already, but I figured I'd give my own input on your questions, too:

1. I wear glasses, but have decent eyesight in one eye so I take them off. I personally find wearing the headset with glasses kinda obnoxious.

2. Doesn't come with headphones, buy a cheap pair of over-ear on Amazon if you need (cheap ones are ~$15)

3. Movement intensive games tend to need a very well-positioned camera, but slightly more static games, like Skyrim VR and Resi7 are pretty ok to just slap the camera somewhere.

4. Buy the move controllers. They're not necessary for every VR game, but I'd say they're critical to enjoying most stuff. I haven't had as many problems with these controllers as Giant Bomb seems to have, if that matters.

5. There's a big "movie" style screen for non VR games, but it's very low-res so I would consider it a novelty more than a feature.

6. Want Skyrim in VR? You gotta buy a unique "Skyrim VR" in the PS Store. It's $60 which sucks, but I haven't played that game since 2011 so I bit the bullet--it's surprisingly fun, minus some weird actions that don't work (Two-Handed melee sucks, the UI is tied to your body direction, not your head, etc).

7. Xbox might go into VR eventually, they've mumbled about it at least. I wouldn't put any bets in until at least next year though, cause it probably takes a while to get such a big hardware program off the ground.

Wolf3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks guys! I went ahead and ordered the Skyrim bundle, only I just had another thought...can the camera/tracking actually work in a real-world environment, chairs, bedroom, living room, not some pristine environment dedicated to just VR?

Kinnect 2.0 doesn't work at ALL basically in my environment. Literally one game demo I couldn't get past the title screen, it wouldn't recognize the movement it was supposed to. Move didn't really work either (on a Playstation 3). Wii's camera-in-the-controller more or less works, but it's doing less.

This might not even work in my setup...in which case I should cancel it and "make due" with a nice 4K + HDR set lol

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

PS plus has also starting giving away full VR games. In the last 2 months the gave rigs and rush of blood(I don't remember actual name of game but its an on rails shooter). I think this is great and hope it continues. I've enjoyed my PSVR but I don't like buying games that aren't that great and often over priced. That being said I love jumping in and getting a few hours out of a game than moving on. So hopefully this psvr plus game continues as there are more games now for psvr. There are tons too. IF you go on psn you can see every week there 2-5 games coming out, most are small but I think that's actually better.

Mockduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glasses work with PSVR, but the smaller your glasses are the better. For me, I found it really annoying and got some disposable contacts to put in before putting on the headset. The camera will track around a typical living room, provided you are close enough to the camera. You do have to be around/within 8 feet of the camera. Yes, you can play any game and watch Netflix and stuff with the PSVR headset; it's kinda cool, but the PSVR resolution means it won't look quite as good. Still fun, though. I sometimes watch blu-rays on it to get a movie theatre-like experience. Also, 3D Blu-Rays are natively supported, so it's kinda like having a 3DTV.

Some games offer VR versions with a regular purchase, like Bound or Race the Sun. Others have dedicated VR versions available.

I have had a PSVR for a few months now, and have only run into one game I wanted to play that I needed the Move controllers for. Most do not require them, although some do, so check before buying. There is a lot you can play without Move controllers.

The PSVR does come with ear buds. They aren't great, but they are ok.

Since you are moving toward Xbox/Microsoft support exclusively, PSVR might not be a great choice for you. I suspect Microsoft will not be bringing VR support to Xbox, and will keep their focus on third-party VR on the PC.