Q: Finding (PC) games with low(er) demands for hardware

bjornberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Any GOOD resource for finding titles that run on ultrabooks, older hardware, devices with small or no dedicated GPU. This is a question more out of convenience than anything. I am capable of asserting likely candidates among games, such as older games and judging by their required specs and such, however this really limits exploring to "games I know of". Would be nice to look through a library, and set the spec. The sites and stores are not reliable, and a lot of the times this feature is abscent alltogether.

Broshmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Broshmosh

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking for signposting to a resource that gets frequently updated with titles that can be less demanding on hardware? Or are you specifically asking for game recommendations?

Deep Rock Galactic is able to run on pretty low-spec machines, it's already got a low poly count to account for its impressive terrain generation, but lowering the settings further relating to texture detail and lighting allows it to run on minimal core processors. You may still struggle to handle waves at certain points if on a super low-end machine.

styx971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

can i run it ( website) is usually a pretty good place to look to see if you can well...run something. not 100% fool proof and could still end up with false negatives but usually good and lists what the issue is so you can compare reasons. probably worth just typing whatever your interested in into it and seeing if it works for your specs since everyones rig is different.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I imagine that there's a Reddit thread about which games can run well with integrated graphics.

Kyary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LowSpecGamer is specifically focused on low-end PC gaming. I think he's also done lists of games that run well on lower-end devices. Just a heads up that his latest videos have been more device-focused, but he's done lots of low-end configs for popular games, and he does link to other resources that might be helpful. If you're looking to find out what modern, popular games can run on low-end devices (especially without a GPU) I would start there.

Also, it should go without saying that older games will generally run well on newer low-spec devices. OpenRCT2 still sees active development, for example. I haven't had a low-end pc in a while but when I did, I played a lot of emulated SNES/portable games.

You're right though - recommended specs are often not helpful when evaluating a game. They're basically useless even if you do have a modern PC.