QLCrew.com - Giant Bomb Video Search and Filtering Tool, est. 2013

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

@flashflood_29: I was in the process of fixing that when you wrote this. It shouldn't happen anymore.

The position restore feature of the video player has been a real bitch to deal with when used with timestamps and there's a whole mess of code that tries to suppress it when necessary.

@rick I wish there was a variable that would let me disable that feature in an embed. Using ?time=... in the request URL worked for a while as a way to override this feature but it stopped working this way recently.

Even better would be something that would let me get that last position and let me decide whether to use it or not. Or show a prompt to a user if they wanted to resume from that point.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

@szlifier: Not sure if something is wrong. I submitted a podcast highlight couple of days ago, either it doesn't show or it got rejected.

http://qlcrew.com/profile/forcen/timestamps/ the list of podcast highlights/timestamps only contain one highlight but on the left side it says i have "2" highligts under podcast timestamps.

noval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I use your site all the time so I just wanted to drop by and say thanks!

They're still not paying you for this right? Because that's kind of insane. I imagine things aren't that simple in CBS land but still, this is everything the site should have but doesn't. The chat logs in particular are amazing and seem like the type of thing that would be way easier with some "official" back-end support but I don't really know anything about this stuff.

I mean you're not even running ads right? At least I'm not getting any. I don't know if that's legally questionable but honestly I wouldn't mind.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#705  Edited By Forcen

@dudeglove: Ah, yes. Can see the pending thing on the podcaste page. I'm not in a hurry, just worried if it got bugged. Thanks for the help!

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#706  Edited By szlifier

@noval said:

I use your site all the time so I just wanted to drop by and say thanks!

They're still not paying you for this right? Because that's kind of insane. I imagine things aren't that simple in CBS land but still, this is everything the site should have but doesn't. The chat logs in particular are amazing and seem like the type of thing that would be way easier with some "official" back-end support but I don't really know anything about this stuff.

I mean you're not even running ads right? At least I'm not getting any. I don't know if that's legally questionable but honestly I wouldn't mind.

This is a one man operation. I'm not getting any money for this. I don't like ads so I don't plan to put them on the site.

Supporting this site is getting harder each day and I don't have much time to work on it anymore, that's why there are very little features added lately. Thankfully there are some awesome people contributing to the site by adding timestamps and fixing cast errors I make. Sorry for taking so much time to approve them all.

I've mentioned this before but chat archives is the most difficult and time consuming feature. I almost finished working on a tool that will help me with archiving it so maybe things will get easier.

I didn't expect the video Bombcast to be such a nightmare to synchronize with the chat. There are two versions of it and they're cut multiple times for breaks and ads and both are cut differently. Basically any cut in the video is a pain in the ass to align with a chat archive. I spent 3 hours working on ep. 441 and I'm two episodes behind already. I won't be uploading these archives until I figure something out.

There's very little support from GB. One lovely @rick aka Edgework sometimes helps me out and I can thank him for the Video API. I wouldn't be able to keep my favorite site features without it.

Kinda sucks that they never mentioned the existence of this site on videos, podcasts, twitter, tumblr, etc.

It feels like some kind of rogue operation. Whatever, the community seems to love it!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@szlifier: That is a bit shitty that they haven't mentioned the site anywhere. I mean, has it even been mentioned on the Community Spotlight?

I only know I love this site and from what I've seen it has been frequently recommended by users to new premium members as a way to easily filter and get into all the older premium content.

Do you accept donations? I would have no problem supporting this site financially since it has helped me numerous times with finding videos.

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#709  Edited By szlifier

@grithor said:

@szlifier: That is a bit shitty that they haven't mentioned the site anywhere. I mean, has it even been mentioned on the Community Spotlight?

I only know I love this site and from what I've seen it has been frequently recommended by users to new premium members as a way to easily filter and get into all the older premium content.

Do you accept donations? I would have no problem supporting this site financially since it has helped me numerous times with finding videos.

Yes, it's been featured on the Community Spotlight when I launched it in March 2013 but it was only a very simple Quick Look filter back then.

And there's also this from July 2013. The site already had other videos and highlights.

That's pretty much it.

To be fair I'm not alone in this. You won't find the crew mentioning the Video Buddy or GB Unarchived by name either. I don't know why that is, but there seem to be a giant brick (legal?) wall that separates the community from the staff. There are some exceptions like Dan mentioning the Kojima Tracker site on MGS.

Taking donations might be against the rules. I don't want to push my luck on this.

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@dudeglove: It seems crazy to me that they haven't just hired Szlifier and integrated his tech directly into the site already.
It works perfectly and is almost a necessity for any newcomers to the site, that want to find some of the old gems in the huge video archives GB has build up over the years. And considering that's probably the biggest draw to being a premium member, it just feels like they should try to get on that.

I guess budgeting is just a always a concern with CBS though, GBeast is still a man down and who knows how long it'll be before they get to hire a replacement..

cyberlink420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Minor thing, but "Metroid 2 Bootleg Remake" on the last UPF post should really be renamed as "AM2R" or "AM2R: Another Metroid 2 Remake" for accuracy's sake.

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#716  Edited By szlifier
Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I just noticed that Quake II isn't in the "Select a game" list. Brad's Encyclopedia Bombastica of it shows up when just searching for Quake II however.

EDIT: I guess no Bombastica games are featured in the game list. Is there a reason for it?

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magmamud: Yeah, a lot of videos are not tied to a game title in the database. That list only includes entries from timestamps or just lists of games that can be seen on older videos.

I'm waiting for an API update that should fix this issue.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#719  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

Getting major glitches with the queue playlist.

• 15 videos in playlist
  • playing second video
  • plays split second then restarts and two audio tracks playing for one video with one audio slightly off sync.
  • Refreshing reproduces the problem.
  • Sometimes the video just freezes and one audio track plays. After about 15 seconds the video continues to play with another audio track in sync with it, ending up again with two audio tracks (one synced, one not)
  • Latest Chrome

Edit: I think I figured it out. Clicking a video in the list autoplays it after it loads up. If you click play before it auto plays, it'll try to play two videos at once.

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flashflood_29: Dang, looks like my fix for that doesn't work on the playlist page. I will try to fix that tomorrow. Thanks for the report.

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

@szlifier: The menu links for both Deadly Premonition Endurance Runs appear to be broken - both are returning zero videos. Also, Shenmue should probably be added to the Full Playthroughs list at some point.

Thanks for the site :)

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@szlifier: Hey man, just letting you know the Pathfinder group on QLcrew only has 3 videos in it but there were four episodes, the last one was uploaded as Patherfinder but it's the fourth episode of that series.

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#729  Edited By szlifier

The new beta video player doesn't cooperate with the site right now. I will try to fix some of that if possible.

UPDATE: Timestamps now work with the Beta player.

To watch chat archives you need to exit the beta, there's no way to work around this now.

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@szlifier said:

The new beta video player doesn't cooperate with the site right now. I will try to fix some of that if possible.

UPDATE: Timestamps now work with the Beta player.

Seems to work fine, thanks for the quick update!

Spotted a couple of things that could do with updating when you get a minute:

• Demo Derby: Official Xbox Magazine 052 isn't listed on /?vid_type=demoderby [Side note: is there a way for users to add the cast list? I can see they can be edited, but don't seem to be creatable from scratch]
  • Part 4 of the Pathfinder Unplugged is listed as "Part of: Giant Bomb Unplugged: Patherfinder" due to the typo in the GB video title (not sure if you can easily fix this on your end)
  • /?vid_type=endurance only lists three of the Shenmue videos, and the description isn't current now that Shenmue has happened ("Endurance Run started with Jeff and Vinny playing through Persona 4 back in 2009 and earned a legendary status among Giant Bomb fans. Second season started in 2010 with two concurrent playthroughs of Deadly Premonition by the original cast and Brad and Ryan. The series returned for the last time in 2012 with Ryan and Patrick playing Chrono Trigger. They will never do another one.")
  • Debatable given how it's split amongst Quick Looks and other videos, but Hitman potentially warrants a place in the Full Playthroughs list
  • /?vid_type=breakingbrad doesn't list the newest Geometry Wars video

Thanks again for the site. I've been binge-watching Game Room/Game Tapes/Demo Derby/Unplugged recently, and it's been invaluable in quickly finding stuff :)

datareborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@szlifier Hey there. I don't mean to be weird or anything, but I added several highlights to some videos a while ago. I was wondering if there is a reason why they haven't been approved yet other than missing them or maybe being too busy.

Here is a list of the highlights.

Video: E3 2009 Interview: The Beatles: Rock Band

Highlight: Who would wear shorts at a big public event like E3? (waiting for approval)02:41 - 03:23

Video: The Veggie (W)rap, Giant Bomb-Style

Highlight: Jeff performs the Veggie (W)rap (waiting for approval) 00:23 - 01:33

Video: The Matrix Online: Not Like This - Part 01

Highlight: Naming a character in The Matrix Online (waiting for approval)12:26 - 14:41

Thanks for all the hard work. The site continues to by my favorite way to browse through Giant Bomb content. :D

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: I can't reproduce that. Can you send me a PM with contents of the dev Console (F12 in Chrome)?

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#734  Edited By turboman

hey @szlifier, any way you can share the chat recording stuff you use to make sure every chat is recorded or would that stuff get super complicated?

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman:

I thought about this and made a tool for this, but it's not an all in one solution. It requires nodejs, a js injector add-on, admin rights and a bunch of other things, but it's good enough for me.

I've been using it for months and I archived pretty much every chat without touching anything. One exception is the PS Exprience stream when my PC simply wasn't on. So, I don't really need any help recording it. The hard part is then alligning it with the archive.

Some stuff is easy to sync, but stuff like Bombcast with multiple cuts and two different versions is something I stopped doing after maybe two episodes. It's just too much work. Extra Life streams are very long and there are cuts which multiply the time I need to spend synchronizing it with the video.

I haven't had much time to upload all chat archives and at this point most of them are obsolete. I will focus on UPFs for now.

LassieME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@szlifier: Looks like the website is currently down

dovah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This site is currently down for me right now too.

to be honest until I found this thread I had no idea that you get no monetary or other support or recognition from the staff about this site.

I'm shocked.

You do an amazing job for the community and I really appreciate it. Many times when I have not been feeling well I've used your site to go back and watch old videos with Ryan and Jeff or Ryan and Vinny and it really cheers me up.

drwhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@szlifier please put this on the front page, it's Drew: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JQ_7R9lrzg

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#740  Edited By szlifier

@dudeglove: Hey, I'm not sure why that is. Are you maybe blocking cookies from QLCrew? I don't have any weird checks in place for IPs and stuff like that.

Can you PM me a screenshot of your cookies for QLCrew? F12 > Application > Cookies > qlcrew.com. Maybe there's something weird going on with the expiration date.

Motorcycle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@szlifier: Should submitted highlights be listed on the "My submissions" page prior to approval? It shows that I have submitted two highlights ("Number of submissions: 2"), but the rest of the page is blank.

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stordoff: I changed it so a user can see all of his timestamps, approved or not. Thanks for pointing this out.

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@szlifier:

Thanks. (Came here to edit my post to say it was now working, and noticed your reply was posted "1 second ago", which is a weird coincidence!)

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@szlifier: Not sure if it's an error on your end or GB's end, but trying to watch "The Switch is a lie" highlight from the home page currently loads a YouTube video that "has been removed by the user".

nack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#747  Edited By nack

Just wanted to say thanks for this tool, I use it a lot.

msx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@bufu: I'm getting the same error.