#251 Posted by Pikawai (137 posts) -

This is a very nice tool, good job duder!

#252 Edited by TrafalgarLaw (1715 posts) -

Now, just for the fun of it...could you give numbers of exclusions of *ahem* other giantbomb staff...like-say...Brad?

#255 Edited by Iron_Tool (295 posts) -

You Sir ROCK!

#256 Posted by PimblyCharles (1857 posts) -

This is really a really fantastic tool. Great job & thank you!

#257 Posted by donfonzie (240 posts) -

Pretty awesome. Good job.

#258 Posted by super2j (2136 posts) -

You all have the right to do that thing with the statistics and you should not feel bad about it. Now I cant exclude "Patrick" because I dont have negative feelings toward him and would rather not contribute to a number I can only assume will be brought up by a jerk in some stupid attempt to tell GB crew to fire him.

#259 Posted by Ceremor (13 posts) -

This is the best thing ever oh my god thank you so fucking much.

#260 Posted by Kingfalcon (150 posts) -

Great tool! Here are two suggestions for you:

1) Allow for rating of QLs (not sure if the GB crew would mind this)

2) Build a slider/filter for time (i.e., display only 60+ minute-long QLs)

#261 Posted by OGred (201 posts) -

thanks man, this thing is sweet!

#262 Posted by Stimpack (1004 posts) -

Oh, man, this is really cool! Thanks for this, seriously. I enjoy watching every single staffer at Giantbomb, but it is nice to find the videos with Dave/Alexis/Drew, because those can be hard to find.

#263 Edited by Szlifier (1496 posts) -

I've been working on new features lately and here is some of the new stuff you can do on the site:

• Filter by a platform guys were playing on (the database is not complete yet),
  • Filter by length of a QL - you can choose a minimum desired value, (heads up @kingfalcon)
  • An override button to get every QL(mainly to be used with platform and length filter),
  • Changing number of results listed on one page.

Enjoy.

#264 Posted by flatluigi (62 posts) -

This is really great, I love it! Are you still planning on adding in TNTs? I see you said in the OP that 'if people still use the site a month from now I might work on it,' and, well, it's a month from now. :V

#265 Posted by Marokai (3711 posts) -

Were the posts in this thread graphing the amount of inclusions and exclusions for all members of the staff (followed by someone commenting on said graph) seriously deleted? I genuinely hope those were deleted by the posters themselves because I cannot fathom why they would be flagged and deleted by anyone else.

#266 Edited by EnduranceFun (1116 posts) -

@marokai: I certainly did not delete my post that is now gone. It's appalling that simply posting a graph that shows Patrick is excluded the most and commenting on that fact is considered suitable for deletion. That is not 'hate' by any stretch of the imagination. All this does is prevent users from seeing an extremely interesting factoid about the site and its viewers.

Now am very glad I saved the image.

#267 Posted by kishinfoulux (3328 posts) -

This is pretty amazing.

#268 Edited by MikeJFlick (452 posts) -

Anyone else thinks this thread should be sickied?

#269 Edited by TruthTellah (9821 posts) -

This is really cool.

Though, could you make a tool for filtering out forum topics about Bioshock Infinite? I can't play the game yet, and it is endlessly frustrating for half the topics to be about BI without any option to hide them.

#270 Edited by Make_Me_Mad (3229 posts) -

This is pretty fantastic work you've done here. It's something that'd be awesome to be included on the main site, but never would be (because then they'd essentially be 'giving in' to people who don't like certain staff members I guess), and it's amazingly useful. Just set the filter to include Drew and say goodbye to the rest of your day!

@endurancefun: That graph actually does sound super interesting. Personally I'm more interested in the guest star numbers, but it's pretty dang weird that statistics were flagged and removed.

#271 Edited by Krullban (1470 posts) -

@marokai: I certainly did not delete my post that is now gone. It's appalling that simply posting a graph that shows Patrick is excluded the most and commenting on that fact is considered suitable for deletion. That is not 'hate' by any stretch of the imagination. All this does is prevent users from seeing an extremely interesting factoid about the site and its viewers.

Now am very glad I saved the image.

Yeah, that's ridiculous.. I'd love to see an explanation as to why it was removed.

#272 Edited by Szlifier (1496 posts) -

@make_me_mad said:

This is pretty fantastic work you've done here. It's something that'd be awesome to be included on the main site, but never would be (because then they'd essentially be 'giving in' to people who don't like certain staff members I guess), and it's amazingly useful. Just set the filter to include Drew and say goodbye to the rest of your day!

@endurancefun: That graph actually does sound super interesting. Personally I'm more interested in the guest star numbers, but it's pretty dang weird that statistics were flagged and removed.

That chart is still in my profile. I removed the post myself, there was no outside pressure involved. The statistics will be later available on my site and you can post them wherever you like. I just don't want it to be analysed in this thread.

P.S. TNT's will be filterable by people and games played.

#273 Edited by Make_Me_Mad (3229 posts) -

@szlifier: Alright, for a little while there I thought the moderators had finally gone off the deep end. Still, I don't think you'd have had much to worry about from a graph of how other people use a thing you made.

#274 Posted by EnduranceFun (1116 posts) -

Yeah I really don't think you had anything to worry about so deleting the post was unnecessary. It's good to know you can find it somewhere on your profile but it's valuable enough that it should just be posted in the thread.

#275 Posted by flatluigi (62 posts) -

If it's going to lead to yet another derail about 'how terrible everyone knows Patrick is and how he should be fired' then I'd have to agree with keeping it out of the thread. Lord knows there's too much of that dumb opinion around here already.

#276 Posted by mrfluke (6099 posts) -

@szlifier: lemme float your thread back up then :P

i would love to be nitpicky about what my playlist contains, in the sense that id want to create a custom playlist with like some videos with vinny and ryan, and some with jeff and patrick.

youtube is serviceable but yea it doesnt have all their videos and youtube has a 200 video limit for their playlists.

again super minor request, but i figured id ask :P

and would there be a way to pull in subscriber videos also to this playlist? or is that off limits due to it being paid content and whatnot, (is there no way to get around this by having users log into their giantbomb accounts?) .

#277 Posted by Szlifier (1496 posts) -

@mrfluke: How about a standard playlist file like .pls or .m3u for VLC for example? That way you could set it up on the site and download it. No limits on number of files there.
It could be done in the on-site player anyway, so we'll see.

About subscriber content: Unfortunately there is no way to do an external login, like with youtube. I could do a login system that would then verify your credentials on auth.giantbomb.com, but this would involve giving out your password to me and this is a horrible way to do it. BUT there is that Roku/BoxyBox or whatever token. I will look into it.

I will try to implement mixed playlists.

#278 Edited by mrfluke (6099 posts) -

@szlifier said:

@mrfluke

: How about a standard playlist file like .pls or .m3u for VLC for example? That way you could set it up on the site and download it. No limits on number of files there.

About subscriber content: Unfortunately there is no way to do an external login, like with youtube. I could do a login system that would then verify your credentials on auth.giantbomb.com, but this would involve giving out your password to me and this is a horrible way to do it. BUT there is that Roku/BoxyBox or whatever token. I will look into it.

care to elaborate on what you mean by setting up a playlist file on the site?

and yea i only bring up the subscriber content due to the fact that the roku/boxybox stuff has that ability to pull it in.

#279 Edited by Szlifier (1496 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

@szlifier said:

@mrfluke

: How about a standard playlist file like .pls or .m3u for VLC for example? That way you could set it up on the site and download it. No limits on number of files there.

care to elaborate on what you mean by setting up a playlist file on the site?

and yea i only bring up the subscriber content due to the fact that the roku/boxybox stuff has that ability to pull it in.

On the site you would add videos to a list and there would be an option to download it as a .m3u file, which then you would open in VLC, or other player capable of streaming files.

#280 Edited by EnduranceFun (1116 posts) -

@flatluigi: No one was derailing the thread. Going by your logic, anything that shows Patrick in a bad light could be warranted for removal simply out of paranoia. It's a silly way of punishing the community for things it hasn't yet done.

#281 Edited by flatluigi (62 posts) -

@endurancefun Go back a single page and you'll see someone saying how hating Patrick is "a sign of extremely good taste." There are more completely worthless comments like that throughout the thread.

Seriously, why don't y'all just picket his house or something until he quits?

#282 Edited by ripelivejam (13130 posts) -

i'm sorry, this seems like a decent tool and everything but all it appears to do in truth is just fuel the antagonism on this site. i'm sure (hoping?) that wasn't your intention, but judging by the original title it was a bit baiting. personally don't have a need for it as i don't have any reason to filter people out on this site; it's all good to me.

#283 Edited by Marokai (3711 posts) -

I like a lot of what Patrick does and I don't want him to get fired or leave the cast; I just thought it was silly that people get pissed off at seeing a statistic, that's all. It wasn't a picture of someone holding up a knife and threatening Patrick's life, it was a graph. Can we not even look at site data now because it might show that a chunk of people don't like the guy's content?

I'm all for stamping out Patrick harassment and everything but I feel like people are getting super sensitive about this if we can't even look at a data chart.

#284 Posted by ripelivejam (13130 posts) -

@marokai: well about every 3rd post seems to be a declaration of filtering him out so there's a certain culture of hate being fueled by this (it was evident the moment this thread was started). drawing attention to that isn't helping. it's hard enough to limit that antagonism in a thread broadcasting "ELIMIATE PATRICK FROM QUICK LOOKS FOREVER OMG VINNY IS THE BEST <3 <3 <3"

maybe if some people kept their tired opinions to themselves, but that's too much to ask.

#285 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5150 posts) -

@ripelivejam: You see, there is difference between not caring and hating. Like, when I see mushrooms in my food, I picked them out because I don't like mushrooms. But I don't want to burn every mushroom in existence or want to stab all the mushroom parts a dozen times or throw them out the window, I just pick them out. See where I'm getting at? Not caring for Patrick in Quick Looks doesn't equal to having Kratos level of hatred towards him. And to be fair, the Patrick Defense Force (PDF for short) is way stronger than the Anti-Patrick Force (working title.) Yes there are some people who does hate him and say vitriolic things about him, but not everyone is a hater, man. Chill out a little bit.

P.S: Sorry for derailing. I just wanted to share my opinion on the matter.

#287 Posted by SomberOwl (925 posts) -

We need a tool like this for sorting through reviews. I would do it but have no idea how/where to begin.

#288 Posted by Fredchuckdave (10824 posts) -

Site down for some reason? Tragic if it's permanent, was quite a bit more useful than any navigation function on the actual site.

#289 Posted by Szlifier (1496 posts) -

@fredchuckdave said:

Site down for some reason? Tragic if it's permanent, was quite a bit more useful than any navigation function on the actual site.

That was hosting's fault. Turns out it's a crappy one, cause it happens pretty often. I've recently even had to switch to another hosting for few hours.

The site is here to stay, lady.

#290 Edited by Fredchuckdave (10824 posts) -

@szlifier: Are you secretly Adam from Metroid: Other M? /shudder

#291 Edited by Szlifier (1496 posts) -
#292 Edited by Szlifier (1496 posts) -

That old design is gone, the new one is only slightly different, I didn't like how the names were written twice.
Now you can switch between black and white version, just like over here. I hope it pleases those who decided to stick with the old look for a while, I assume the new one was too bright for some.

TNT's are already in the database, give me a couple of days to get this thing working.

#293 Edited by kmg90 (504 posts) -

@szlifier said:

That old design is gone, the new one is only slightly different, I didn't like how the names were written twice.

Now you can switch between black and white version, just like over here. I hope it pleases those who decided to stick with the old look for a while, I assume the new one was too bright for some.

TNT's are already in the database, give me a couple of days to get this thing working.

Having trouble switching to the dark (old) version, my eyes strain at the abundance of white space...

Firefox 21 on Windows 8

Edit: Also trying to "Play All" after running a search makes the content disappear (aka it "doesn't work")

Other than both issues, I've used the site a few times and am pretty impressed with the site and easy and useful it is to find quick looks with specific bombardiers.

#294 Edited by Szlifier (1496 posts) -

@kmg90 said:

@szlifier said:

Having trouble switching to the dark (old) version, my eyes strain at the abundance of white space...

Firefox 21 on Windows 8

Edit: Also trying to "Play All" after running a search makes the content disappear (aka it "doesn't work")

Other than both issues, I've used the site a few times and am pretty impressed with the site and easy and useful it is to find quick looks with specific bombardiers.

Works for me on that setup, but I've done some changes already. Refresh, try again, if still nothing then clear cookies for qlcrew.com. You should try InPrivate mode too.

"Play all" works now and I also fixed a bug where it only showed videos from the first page of results

#295 Edited by Szlifier (1496 posts) -

I'm going to sleep in a second, but I've just finished adding TNTs to the site, as promised.

Some of the TNT features:

• searchable by games played, staff and guests,
  • links for twitch/ustream and site's archive,
  • thumbnails link to a page with twitch/ustream embeds.

edit: Fixed:

• ustream embeds,
  • search for game titles with special characters (e.g. Assassin's Creed),

#296 Edited by Shoey920 (182 posts) -

I'm officially an idiot for never checking the forums... this is AMAZING and it's how I'll browse QLs for the rest of time

#297 Edited by ShaunK (1660 posts) -

All this has done was make me sad that Alex hasn't been in nearly enough quick looks. Move back to the Giant Bomb offices, Alex!

#299 Edited by Szlifier (1496 posts) -

I'm back with a couple of updates:

• Text search for finding those Sleeping Dogs or Game Room Quick Looks
  • M3U playlists. What are those? You download them on your computer or a mobile device to use in any video player you have. WMP and VLC are pretty good with streaming the videos. They should work with your mobile device too. I think that's THE solution when it comes to playlists, no need to download the video, just stream

Thanks for using the site!

#300 Edited by Fuwano (191 posts) -

I just wanted to say thank you for the work you've done. Frankly I think the site should already have something like this but I'm very glad that you've made this. Thanks!