Quality of the past year of video content

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By mutha3
 ATTN:all Creepy White knights and other assortments of weirdos: fuck off.  Also, to those of you displeased by the site's recent output: please don't resort to personal attacks.

Basically, please act like something resembling normal, well-adjusted human beings. I know I'm asking a lot of you, internet, but bear with me.

So, I've kinda been mulling over making this thread for a while, but seeing the comments section explode in the recent Farmville fiasco filled with posters who shared similair  sentiments on top of seeing many-a-thread get derailed by this topic kinda pushed me over the edge and beat out my laziness. The past year of content on Giantbomb has not...been....great.  

QL's have taken a pretty bad beating recently. It suddenly hit me back in January, when I finished watching the Catherine QL: that was the first QL I had watched from start to finish in two months. I started checking out the earlier QL's....  Back in '09 QL were an amazing, fresh idea-- no site was doing stuff like that, and for both us, the viewers, and the guys doing it, it was totally crazy. Naturally, these things have started to become less entertaining as time goes on(especially since other sites blatantly copied the format, but that's another conversation) but the audience isn't the only one who's lost interest and enthusiasm in these things....

Compare this QL of Dynasty warriors: Gundam 2: 

Jeff and Vinny are sounding excitable and cracking jokes from the start to the end. They're ripping on the game, but they are clearly enjoying themselves while doing this. They also don't spend any significant amount of time moaning on and on about how terrible this game is(we can clearly see that! and their opinion of it!) There's a real casual feel to the banter between the two in this video.

Now check out this recent quicklook of Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3

Welcome to almost every quicklook  from around the back-half of 2010 to now. I think it can be summarized by one general reaction the staff has to a game when doing one of these: *sigh*. The videos are filled with silences that can last up to a minute, and there is a bored and all around uninterested impression from the commentators outside of the bizarre intro in this video.

Both of these are bad games. Both of these are clearly not well regarded by the staff. But in the first, they sounded like they were having fun with it anyways. Their enthusiasm was affecting and they managed to turn the utter boredom of watching the same stale robot slashing action in something genuinely entertaining. The second video on the other hand is just plain old boring. Its become routine

TNT has been a long, boring slog shortly after its conception.  It was neat for one or two shows, but after that it devolved into repetitive bullshit. Its plagued by non-commentary("shoot that guy","i shot that guy") and multiplayer games generally aren't very fun to watch(Especially FPS'. Which seem to constitue 90% of the TNT's). Every time I've tuned into a HH, its been a complete snorefest. I don't mean to come across as unrespectfull towards Sara,Tony, Rorie ETC. but I could not care less about comics and watching guys commentate on trailers is not my idea of a good time. The entire idea of a"WHISKEY MEDIA VARIATY SHOW" ran its course in the big live live show thing. 

People keep clamoring for a new ER, but I don't think with the staff's current attitude, that those would be particularly fun to watch. What they really need is new stuff. The farmville thing was a terrible idea, but they need to keep trying out things like that. The Endurance Run, TANG, QL's were all spur of the moment things themselves-- that "spur of the moment" feel of the site has just been drained away with the new offices as well. No longer  do we get utterly random videos of whatever bizarre thought popped in their head. These days, the craziest stuff they do is left to the HH's....where they're crammed in between 30 minutes of comic talk and 15 minutes of boring movie trailer talk.

Of course, there are some things that have improved or stayed the same since then. I think the community is far, far more tolerable than it was two years ago, the bombcast is as great as ever and hiring Klepek was a fantastic idea-- it turned GB from having cookie cutter kotaku reposts into a site with a news section that's actually relevant, insightful and unique. 

....but what truly draws me to GB is the video content. I wonder how many people feel the same and will opt to not resubscribe in september.

TL;DR version: Video content, specifically QLs has dropped in quality. The crew doesn't seem as excited, the videos aren't as entertaining. Maybe the format of some of the videos has gotten stale, and GB should try some new ideas.
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Red12b

The C&C Tnt and the THPS3 TNT were excellent as well as that Banjo one 

There are still good QL's but few and far between, although, you'd get tired of playing dreck as well wouldn’t you?

Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ChickenPants

Quality post. 

I agree with a lot of your points but not all of them. But I'm just about to go to sleep so rather than write anything detailed I'm just going to mention some of my gut reactions to your post. :)

I have noticed that I don't enjoy QLs as much anymore. I haven't watched one in two weeks While I don't think this negative attitude present in QLs is as pervasive as you say it has definately become more of an issue. Then again I'm sure you could find '09 QLs where the guys seem just as jaded. Maybe the idea just isn't as fresh and fun anymore, to both us and them.
The TNT has required new ideas for a long time. Maybe they still hold-up for the people playing but they can be boring to watch.
I'm not a fan of the Happy Hour format.   
I don't like the guys attitude towards the ER. The whole ''The more you ask for it the less we want to do it'' is bullshit. Heaven forbid the fans actually want to see the most beloved feature on the site return. I'm not saying they should just crank one out every year, I just think the guys should be more transparent about it. Just come out and say that you have no plans to do one at any time soon because you don't think there's any game suitable or because of scheduling issues.
Also think that a lot of the claims that the guys made around the start of the subscription service introduction about them now being able to do crazier stuff haven't been backed-up by content generation. I know Dave has said they'll look to bring in more initiatives around the end of the first batch of yearly subs in September which is good but at the same time kind of cheap considering the lack of subscriber features introduced since last September.

Still love the site. Just a little haphazard criticism.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By EuanDewar

In all fairness if you replace Vinny with Brad for a QL there is going to be a natural drop in enthusiasm. That's not a slight at the guy, I like Brad but he does sort of make the whole room feel tired.

Oh and this, nah mate, nahhh.

@mutha3said:

I think the community is far, far more tolerable than it was two years ago

The community nowadays is straight up boring to me, every now and then someone does something cool but it's not exactly been a hive of well thought out, good humoured discussion lately.

The rest though is mostly agreeable if a little harsh in places, I'd say there's been quite a few TNT's I've enjoyed and I enjoy Rorie's antics on the HH but that's just me.

Still, quality post duder.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By kingzetta

Wait like a month and a half, quicklooks will be amazing again.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mutha3

@DEMONOLOGY_24:
That depends on your perspective. I don't come to giantbomb for the "hot videogamz infos!!!!!" or to use as a purchasing guide. And I highly doubt the majority of the users on this site do either. There are much better places for info, and they really only ever cover the same games every other site covers in terms of review material.

I'm not seeing what's mean about that, sorry.
@ChickenPants said:

Then again I'm sure you could find '09 QLs where the guys seem just as jaded. Maybe the idea just isn't as fresh and fun anymore, to both us and them.

That's the gist of my wordy diatribe, yep.

There's definitely moments of jadedness in '09, but the '11 stuff is way more extreme.

@EuanDewar

said:

The community nowadays is straight up boring to me, every now and then someone does something cool but it's not exactly been a hive of well thought out, good humoured discussion lately.

Fair enough. I think I mostly get that reaction due to having learned how to filter out religion and girl threads, and make use of the "wall" function.

Oh, and to all readers: my apologies for my crappy english.
tooPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By tooPrime

I will say I feel like the live content takes a lot of their time and planning that might cut into their other content.  Unfortunately I don't really care for the live stuff although I'm sure there are instances of brilliance. 

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Hmm I don't watch quick looks as much as I used to. I'd agree overall they aren't quite as consistently funny as they used to be but its a narrow margin. I don't think it's as dire as your post makes it sound. As for the TnT's and the Happy Hours I still find them completely entertaining. The amount of green screen shenanigans from Will and Norm alone make them worth it.
So in summary I don't really agree. If that makes me a 'creepy white knight' then...*shrug*

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I don't agree with you at all.  There have been times where I was watching something of theirs and got bored but for the most part I am thoroughly entertained by a lot of what the GB crew does.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mutha3
@TheSouthernDandy said:
Hmm I don't watch quick looks as much as I used to. I'd agree overall they aren't quite as consistently funny as they used to be but its a narrow margin. I don't think it's as dire as your post makes it sound. As for the TnT's and the Happy Hours I still find them completely entertaining. The amount of green screen shenanigans from Will and Norm alone make them worth it. So in summary I don't really agree. If that makes me a 'creepy white knight' then...*shrug*
Here's a good guideline:

Basically, please act like something resembling normal, well-adjusted human beings. I know I'm asking a lot of you, internet, but bear with me.

I'd say your post qualifies as normal;-)
Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheSouthernDandy
@mutha3: Sweet!
At least I can somewhat pull off well-adjusted on the interwebs.
Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ChickenPants
@DEMONOLOGY_24 said:
I think after reading this post I have to say is that you're asking for to much. Yes I have skipped a couple of quick looks myself it still remains that coming up with original content is hard. Remember that these guys aren't comedians there journalists they wrote reviews for most there lives not writing jokes if you're looking for more entertainig stuff to watch then by all means go do that. everything has its ups and dowms you can't except every video to be the most entertaining. Quick looks are supposed to be informative and happy hours are suppose to be a calaberation of the sites remember that wiskey media is ALL of the sites and giant bomb wasn't even the first wiskey media site if you look at the banners it says that comic vine was first and so on so saying that you don't want to watch the other sites is a really mean thing to say
In fairness to him, the Happy Hour is advertised as one of the core subscriber features and as such I don't think it's 'mean' to say he doesn't like its format. I'm sure the other sites won't take it personally. I don't see how Comic Vine being around before Giant Bomb makes any difference in the matter. Just because it was around before GB doesn't mean you have to like/respect it. I think it's a shitty site. Also the amount of users on Giant Bomb who have an interest in what 3 other sites are up to is a pretty small subset, even when you consider that they are interests within a similar space. So the Happy Hour format really only becomes an attractive proposition to a small group of potential users.

Disclaimer: I like GB, Tested and Screened. I'm not trying to insult them, I'm just trying to see it from the perspective of someone who just enjoys GB.
Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dany

@SethPhotopoulos said:

I don't agree with you at all. There have been times where I was watching something of theirs and got bored but for the most part I am thoroughly entertained by a lot of what the GB crew does.

Yep.

Your complaints are noted, but I disagree with your sentiment on quick looks, TNT, Happy Hour. They have been informative as well as entertaining.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Cloudenvy

I'm just as entertained as ever! So...Good for me I guess!

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Doctorchimp
@mutha3: Eh..I'd say you picked a really bad example.

Did you want them to bring in Vinny to tell his funny anecdote about his Gundam models again? But then again, yeah they seem more bored than usual with quick looks.

Which is weird...because literally everything else they do from the bombcast, the articles, to the weird videos are getting better. But these quick looks are getting stale. Hard for me to judge happy hour, I'm not a paid member and there's no way I can catch those free ones. I can't remember the last live show I saw but Klepek was on it talking about trolling with the X-Files theme song....that was funny.

That's kind of why I didn't get a paid membership. Although I do want that Lincoln Force shirt before they do something weird for their 2nd year anniversary...I might buy one this month...

Maybe they're saving it for the paid live shows? Whatever I'm gonna shower and listen to the bombcast....
Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#16  Edited By Legend

I agree with pretty much everything you said, and I hope the staff will read this and take all the points you brought up into consideration. I used to watch every video posted on GB (not including trailers), but not anymore. I don't know.. the videos aren't as good as they used to be tbh. I will continue to support GB, however, and will not end my subscription. I have faith that Jeff, Ryan, Brad and Vinny still have what it takes to make their video content as entertaining as it used to be if not more.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mutha3

@Doctorchimp said:

@mutha3: Eh..I'd say you picked a really bad example.  Did you want them to bring in Vinny to tell his funny anecdote about his Gundam models again? But then again, yeah they seem more bored than usual with quick looks.

Its more Jeff's general attitude in the first compared to his attitude in the second.  He sounds enthused and excited in the first, but bored and uninterested in the second .Also-- way more complaining about the game.

I used this example because it was two games that played exactly the same. Ideally, It could have included the same commentators, but I felt this got the message across adequately enough.

@DEMONOLOGY_24

said:

I agree with what you said. I personnaly don't give a fuck about comic vine but I have hope that the content continues to get better. I just don't like seeing peoples work get commented on like this.

Then you must hate all those reviews the giantbomb guys do, right?
Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Cloudenvy
C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By C2C

Very good post; here are my sentiments about the stuff going on as far as the video content is concerned. (this will be going off of the video tab)

Reviews: No problem here, they've kept the quality consistent and covered the big games here.

Features & Subscriber: I love Mondays has been reformatted for the better. TNT has always been a pretty meh thing for me since I'm not big into the community and pretty much serves no purpose during the summer since they don't play any new stuff. Happy Hour is a mixed bag, sometimes it has moments of greatness (like the dong dong never die comes to mind) but its mostly just kinda throwaway. The rest of the stuff has been pretty good in keeping up the quality, except betting the farmville. I appreciate their attempt at trying something new with farmville, but that was just a bust.

Trailers & Events: Pretty much kept the quality consistent, which I'm A-OK with.

ER and TANG: Now this is pretty much where I get bummed out. At the time when I bought into the subscription, These two things were exactly the things I wanted to fund with the money I gave. I know that ER is spur of the moment shenanigans but TANG is something I really hoped would continue being put out, even if it had to be done through a partnership with Screened or something. This section is where I get hung up on really.

Quick Looks: For the majority of the videos here I honestly didn't see the diminishing quality since I never followed these religiously. These have always been more of a tool for me to see the game in action rather than commentary from the GB crew. The only exception was when they were doing Game Room QL since those were great to riff on.

TL;DR: The video sections I really want have fallen to the way side; while some of the newer video content is kinda meh while not being really awful.

EDIT: This kinda makes me curious as to how many subscribers are burnt out by the video content.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By DoctorWelch

Yeah I am sorta half and half. Im still entertained by the site and I like some of the things they are doing right now, but it does seem that ever since the BLLSL and the move into the new offices there isnt really too much except the bombcast that I look forward to when it comes to GB. Its not that I dont watch the other videos and content from time to time but there hasnt been anything new and interesting for about a year except for this recent farmville thing. Although I dont like Patrick as a personality I really do like what he brings to GB and I think there in lies the problem. I know they like to keep things small and thats how they've had success in the past but only having four people who they rely on to make basically all the content for the site is pretty crazy considering where these guys have come in the past few years (I know they have drew and now Patrick, but drew is basically a tech behind the scenes guy and the only JUST added Patrick which I said was a good idea). These guys seem to just be super tired and overworked. The seem to lack the passion they used to have in the first few years of the site, or even a year ago for that matter. Thats why I think this farmville thing is at least a good idea in theory. They seem to have a million interns and putting them to work on actual content for the site is great because it gives these guys a break, or at least adds something to the site without the four having another thing on their plate to worry about. I know they like to keep it small, but expanding with maybe two three more people would probably make everything seem way more fresh, give these guys a little break from having to worry about everything, and give the site way more opportunities to create new awesome features because they will have way more man hours to work with. Giantbomb has grown a whole hell of a lot in the past couple years but with that the staff has basically stayed the same. I know they are picky about who they are going to bring on, and they can still be that way, but adding a couple more people would definitely increase the energy of the guys, the value current content on the site, and new content that could potentially be extremely entertaining.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By tim_the_corsair

I pretty much disagree with all your points.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mutha3
@C2C said:

Very good post; here are my sentiments about the stuff going on as far as the video content is concerned. (this will be going off of the video tab)

Reviews: No problem here, they've kept the quality consistent and covered the big games here.

I've failed to bring this up....But I totally disagree. They've almost entirely stopped doing video reviews.  Unless you mean the written content, then yeah, I agree.
 @Tim_the_Corsair said:
I pretty much disagree with all your points.

That's fine, of course.
C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By C2C

@mutha3 said:

@C2C said:

I've failed to bring this up....But I totally disagree. They've almost entirely stopped doing video reviews. Unless you mean the written content, then yeah, I agree.

GB have always been pretty selective about their reviews. They never really made a lot of video reviews at any point in time. It takes a really really big game to make them want to do a vid review. Or at least that's what I've seen since they started video reviews.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are more Quick Looks that aren't ridiculously hilarious, but overall I think all the content is still miles ahead of any other site I've been to.  Most Quick Looks are still fun to watch, and there are still ones that are totally hilarious (such as the Kinect Wipeout one for a recent example).  TNTs are as good as they have ever been and I still watch them weekly and for the most part have fun.  I'm not a member, but I usually enjoy the free Happy Hours. 

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bocam

Your point is mute as they're doing a quick look of the original Witcher. Though all joking aside I'll wait say something until I see how their QL of NMH: Heroes Paradise compares to their QL of NMH2

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mutha3
@Bocam said:

Your point is mute as they're doing a quick look of the original Witcher. Though all joking aside I'll wait say something until I see how their QL of NMH: Heroes Paradise compares to their QL of NMH2

Hmmm....That's a tough bet! They actually like NMH, and its totally crazy-- basically one of the few times where we get an awesome quicklook.
GJSmitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By GJSmitty

I think it is still fine, this fall it will be better probably because of all of the good games coming out.  I enjoy the quick looks just as much as always.  In my opinion, they should do more "Video Things"  and also more mailbags would be refreshing.  

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By ReyGitano

It seems like they've fallen into a slump with quicklooks, but it's also been a year of doing a lot of quicklooks for bad to mediocre games. I was a bit bummed to see Jeff not reacting to the writing in Old World Blues, which I found vastly entertaining, especially when so much of his score for New Vegas relied on the quality of the storytelling. Hopefully his vacation will bring energy levels back up.

Soren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Soren

Man, I'd really like to see the return of Quick look throwbacks. All those dreamcast games they covered a good while back made for some quality video content. 

But yeah, I'll have to agree with most of the points you brought up in the OP. Though those movie trailer segments are more hit-and-miss then anything. Ridiculous shit like Battleship can make for some genuinely funny moments.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By williamhenry

@ChickenPants said:

I don't like the guys attitude towards the ER. The whole ''The more you ask for it the less we want to do it'' is bullshit. Heaven forbid the fans actually want to see the most beloved feature on the site return. I'm not saying they should just crank one out every year, I just think the guys should be more transparent about it. Just come out and say that you have no plans to do one at any time soon because you don't think there's any game suitable or because of scheduling issues.

Jeff has repeatedly said thats exactly the reason why they haven't done another ER yet. They all just get tired of constantly being asked about it, so it makes them want to do it less and less.

I get the OP's critiques, but I don't understand why anyone is surprised at the quality of quick looks. It was only a matter of time before they started to lose interest in doing them. I mean, they can only stay excited to play those games and mock them for so long. Its only natural that they get tired and jaded about quick looks. I'm not saying you have to like it and you can complain all you want about it, but I think your expectations are too high.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#31  Edited By Little_Socrates

@DivineCC: Problem is, when they express that disinterest in doing another ER, they're doing it in places where most people have stopped asking. There are a few jerkbags who listen to the Bombcast and the live content, but for the most part the people who repeatedly demand ER's are people who watch one, think they're really funny, email the guys who made them and never explore much of the other video content. Anyone who listens to the Bombcast on a weekly basis or follows the guys' personal accounts (Twitter, Google+, etc.) probably just knows better, and so it's rare the people listening to the deeper content (which is, again, where they usually talk about their disinterest in ERs) are the people who need to stop asking. We do a good job of telling people about it in the forums, though.

@mutha3: I will say comparing DWG2 and DWG3 is pretty unfair; I'd be much less interested in "hey, Gundam QLs are funny" a second time myself, and it's a rarity that a game gets an even heavier dose of crazy for its sequel (Deadliest Warrior: Legends, for example) and that both games actually merit a timely QL. The only time a sequel QL will ever be as entertaining as the original is if the original is either a game beloved by the staff or was more of a "proof of concept" to a crazier, more impressive game. In general, I bet you'll find that's true; how many times can you make "QuickLook: YetAnotherPartyGame" really entertaining? (And I still managed to make one of those entertaining!)

The only disappointments is that some of the QL pairings have felt wrong; for example, while Ryan/Vinny is often a good combo, Ryan/Jeff would've been way more informative and entertaining for Child of Eden, and it's a shame Jeff (Rez superfan) wasn't there for that. In fact, I'd consider attributing a lot of the weaker QLs lately to avoiding Jeff/Ryan and Jeff/Vinny, often pairing Jeff and Brad as well as Ryan and Vinny over other pairings. Also, while I really do enjoy seeing the guys from Screened (well, Rorie doesn't anymore I guess) and Tested pop up in videos from time to time, it always seems weird when they appear in QLs. Plus I miss Alex a lot. TNTs have been pretty variable, but I also had no interest in them until the WWE All StarsTNT (possibly the best week for content this year other than GDC/E3 when you consider that was the Zojirushi/Big Dog Pitbull Bombcast as well.) Patrick's been a welcome addition, but he doesn't have quite the right energy yet for QL's; put him in a TNT or Happy Hour segment, though, and I'll be stoked!

I guess I'm just not really sure whether the video content "problem" (I'm still fine) belongs to a lack of enthusiasm about certain things or just to a lack of legitimately funny games? I mean, obviously Cargo was an excellent QL, and Harry Potter P7.2, Deadliest Warrior Legends, $1000000 Pyramid, Trackmania United Forever and Tales from Space: About a Blob were also pretty sweet, but when the best "bad-but-funny" games coming out in a sixth month period are TDU2, Dino D-Day, Garshasp, and Duke, what exactly are you supposed to do?

P.S. ScrubLeagues are some of the best content so far this year, and it'll be a shame if we don't get more of those rather then...well, an Unreal Tournament 2004 TNT.

Mikewrestler5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Mikewrestler5

In my eyes, the video content has definitely taken a hit. They're just not that good anymore.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Branthog

I have no qualms with the quicklooks. Yeah, they have been less interesting as of late, but so have the games that have been coming out. I'm less likely to watch at all if it's for a shitty or mediocre game, unless the comments for the video indicate that there was something particularly hilarious or awful going on.

You've got to keep things fresh and come up with new things to add here, but I'm not sure what people expect.

Vexed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Vexed

That came out way ruder than I meant it to, so nevermind...

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ragdrazi
@kingzetta said:
Boy, I hope so.
Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

I actually liked both of those quicklooks. So I guess fuck you? Stop whining, they have made some awesome content. It isn't all supposed to be entertaining to the utmost. Obvioualy you will enjoy some more than others, but it's silly to think you will love every single QL they put out.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#38  Edited By Brendan

I haven't been watching the quicklooks in their entirety as much as I used to, but am I crazy or have they gotten longer? I feel like the average time for quicklooks is around 40 minutes these days, and while I love the site and don't like feeling as if I've "missed" content it seems crazy that so many sub par games are getting drawn out for so long when no one commentating has much to say about them. I don't feel like this is an instance of me simply asking for less content either, because I feel that if they consciously kept less thrilling games to a more watchable time frame then they would try to ask more questions of each other and be forced to stay awake and somewhat interested.

I don't feel like the problems are as pervasive as you say, but I feel like the length of many quicklooks is too long and is dampening my enthusiasm for the content.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Eh, sorta. But then I remember thinking the site was in decline back in 2009 until it suddenly got better, so I don't think it's anything to be concerned about yet.

I skip all the Brad and Jeff QLs personally, because those guys have always had zero chemistry together. Ryan and Vinny or Ryan and Jeff QLs are usually a lot more fun.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@Brendan said:

I haven't been watching the quicklooks in their entirety as much as I used to, but am I crazy or have they gotten longer? I feel like the average time for quicklooks is around 40 minutes these days, and while I love the site and don't like feeling as if I've "missed" content it seems crazy that so many sub par games are getting drawn out for so long when no one commentating has much to say about them. I don't feel like this is an instance of me simply asking for less content either, because I feel that if they consciously kept less thrilling games to a more watchable time frame then they would try to ask more questions of each other and be forced to stay awake and somewhat interested.

I don't feel like the problems are as pervasive as you say, but I feel like the length of many quicklooks is too long and is dampening my enthusiasm for the content.

I also agree with this, now that you mention it.

Notice how the QL tab says this now?

Our editors provide commentary as they play through 20 minutes or more of uninterrupted gameplay.

To me that seems weird. I don't think they should shoot for that number every time, because some games just don't have 20 minutes worth of stuff to show.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By fattony12000

Periods of silence that can last up to minute!?

/deletes account and never returns to giantbomb.com

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel the quality of quick looks is relative to the the quality of the games, bad games and good games make for more entertaining quick looks, meh and competent games are more boring because they're just kinda there, but they're still making the best content out there. Just unfortunately for them there has just been a lot of meh games this year so far.

muttjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By muttjones

Though I agree that QLs lately haven't been at the height they were in years past, its not some sort of plummet in quality you seem to make it out to be. Also I immensely enjoy the craziness that goes on in TNT and the HH (though I skip directly over the comics section).

I just reckon you're being hyperbolic. Maybe you're just moving past the type of content Giant Bomb produces.

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44  Edited By carlthenimrod

If you go back to when the site first launched and watched every quick look chronologically you would find a lot of clunkers along the way. Catherine wouldn't make a entertaining quick look today or two years ago because it is a block puzzle game. Not every video is going to be a winner.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#45  Edited By Vinny_Says

The fall in quality is noticeable but whenever Vinny is around I still watch from start to finish, because unlike Ryan and Jeff, Vinny doesn't seem depressed on every video even if the game is terrible. His enthusiasm is still there.

On the other hand the quality of the podcast has increased recently so it's all good.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Ben_H

I completely agree with the OP.  I don't mean to bash GB, but in the past I have said I will buy a membership when the content we lost (TANG, ER, Not Like This, stuff like the Star Trek Online beta videos, etc.) came back or innovative content is released.  None of that has happened.  The site has gone from being creative and hilarious to dull and formulaic.  Other than news, I no longer pay attention to content, and only certain sections of the forum.   

The emphasis on live shows over video content has hurt the site.  If it is as time consuming as they say it is to produce perhaps they should consider cutting back or modifying it so that traditional video content can be released.  Standard on-demand video content was GB's bread and butter 2 years ago, yet, now other than monotonous QLs, there is very little for original video content.  Anyone remember the Jeff Vs. Dave Madden bet, where Jeff ended up having to drink gin.  There are almost no office videos or unboxenings anymore.  Simply look at the features page to understand what I'm saying, almost purely ILMs and live shows.  Now in comparison go back to 2009, where there were at least a few extra side videos per week showing things in the office.  Here's some examples of old content that was awesome: 

The Farmville thing may have sucked but it was a step in the right direction; at least it was something new. They need to do more stuff like this.

Another example of how Quicklooks have changed to add to the one in the OP.  The first is from July 2009, and is packed with jokes, poking fun at the characters and generally is pretty funny.  This is how Quicklooks used to be; a mix of MST3K-style degrading humour and basic info.  The second QL I posted is from July of this year for a new game in the HP series.  It still has humour but is not nearly as entertaining to watch.  They don't seem to make jokes unless it is blatantly obvious, where in old quick looks, they would create humour where there was none, and would crack any joke possible.  The general theme with Quicklooks seems to be quantity over quality.  There seems to be a Quicklook every day, regardless whether the game is good or not, or if the person doing the Quicklook has any interest.  Comparing this to how it used to be, where barring a couple stinkers, Quicklooks were only really done for games that were interesting the crew, be it because they thought the game was good, interesting or so bad it was good.

Vs.
I've been on this site since the blog days (how many of you remember that), and even was following Jeff and Ryan prior to GB's creation, so don't doubt my loyalty, I will stick with the guys for everything.  All I would like to see is video content on par, or better than that of the years past.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Subjugation

@mutha3: And just how interesting could you make video content that is about an awful game? I don't feel like it's entirely reasonable to expect them to make a quick look of an awful game something that leaves you roaring (rorie-ng?) with laughter every time. I know I personally can't feign enthusiasm for a terrible game and I don't expect them to either.

I do love their random content though. Mailbags were a favorite until all of you people totally slacked and stopped sending them mail! Video Thing had moments of greatness as well.

I totally respect your opinion though, especially since you took the time to back it up and really outline your thoughts rather than just say, "Man the videos really suck now." However I still enjoy, and will continue to enjoy, the content they are producing. I fully believe that QL's in particular will take a sharp upward turn in quality when the games being released are halfway decent games that allow the staff to have a good time.

On the Happy Hour, I don't particularly enjoy the Comic Vine segment either but hey, it is called the "Whiskey Media Happy Hour" and not the "Giant Bomb Happy Hour" so some slack should be cut there. This is basically all of the sites advertising to each other's user bases.

I feel you though. The thing I enjoy most about this site is the personality that the staff brings to the content. Their banter and off the cuff antics make things far more interesting than the robotic displays you are subjected to on their competitor's sites.

Maybe you could send the guys a giant mailbag of awesome goodies to cheer them up and lighten their moods (and possibly create another mailbag segment!)

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By CaptainCody

Excellent post, mainly because it isn't really possible to have a negative outlook. I, for one, like many others here have been pretty disappointed with this years content and somewhat the mundane attitude some of the duders have had. Yet, the reason myself and I imagine everyone else feel strongly about this is because we care about this site. I don't know where I would be with videogames if it weren't for Giant Bomb. Lastly, hearing that people disagree completely with the OP is really the best possible response.
satansmagichat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By satansmagichat

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@kingzetta said:

I would say this as well. As soon as the fall rush of quality games starts all will be right again, I think.