Question about upgrading a macbook 13inch late-2009 model

Finch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Hi! So I want to make this macbook faster. I was thinking of upgrading the ram from 2gb to 8gb, or upgrading to an SSD, or both. My question is, with a 2.26ghx intel duo core processor, do you think this will be worth it? Will I notice a huge improvement? Or should I save my money?

I use the laptop mainly for photoediting and web browsing and playing music... all at the same time. I want to be able to do that without the constant slow-down I'm experiencing. I'm open to any and all suggestions on how to achieve this, apart from buying a new machine. I don't want to do that.

Thanks for any help and advice.

-Finch

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Well if you do photo editing then yes get more ram. 2GB is not nearly enough. An SSD might make things feel snappier but I don't know if it's worth the cost.

Scampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Scampbell

Instead of an SSD, get an SSHD, almost as fast, and you get way more space, in a laptop where there is no room for a second harddrive, I find that much more useful. For less than the price of a 128 GB SSD, you get a whole terabite.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By conmulligan

I strongly recommend getting an SSD. I put one in an ageing 2008 MacBook Pro and it was like night and day. If you can swing it, you might also want to get more RAM, although having an SSD will alleviate some pressure because paging data in and out between physical memory and the SSD will be quicker.

Finch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Thanks everyone! Just purchased 8gb of ram and a 500gb SSHD drive. Hopefully that should speed things up.

Appreciate the input.

-Finch.