Question for those of you using your TV as a PC monitor

frustratedlnc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey everyone. I've recently run into a problem when playing games on my PC using my TV as a monitor. I was wondering if anyone has had the same issue. I tried looking for help on some tech dedicated websites but no one seems to have an answer. I've been running my MSI GS 65 Stealth Pro laptop to my 2015/2016 LG OLED through an HDMI cable . Whenever I run a game, it opens in windowed mode. When I try to use the border-less windowed mode, it locks the resolution at 4K. The option to change it is literally grayed out and will not let me select any other resolution. This causes the game to run like crap at all but the most minimal setting. If I try to run it in full screen, the screen blacks out with only the audio running. It didn't always do this and Gears 5 is the only game that works as intended. Have any of you had this issue and what did you do to resolve it?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You tried upgrading your graphics drivers? or rolling them back if you have?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

When you run a game in borderless window, it's running at your desktop resolution. In your case, that's probably 4k and your GPU can't handle that. Run the game in fullscreen mode and then change the resolution to something lower and see how that works.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's how borderless windows work. You have a few options:

- Drop the resolution scaling in the game down (not all games support this)

- Use the actual Fullscreen mode, where resolution changes will work

- Change the resolution in Windows itself

Note that a games from the Windows Store may or may not support "exclusive fullscreen". Originally, all Windows Store games were borderless window, but recently they added support for exclusive fullscreen. Whether Gears uses that, I'm not sure.

frustratedlnc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By frustratedlnc

The drivers seem to have no impact, whether it be the latest version or a rolled back one. As far as going full screen, it is not an option. The TV screen goes black. There is no picture. Only audio. The funny thing is it will display in full screen when I duplicate the screen on the laptop but that brings me back to the whole "it runs like crap" thing. It also works on my buddies TV. So I imagine the problem is some miscommunication between this particular TV and this particular laptop.

frustratedlnc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually got it working after a month of trying. Uninstalled nvidia control panel and redownloaded it and everything worked.

Keirgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Keirgo

I recommend in the future if you have further driver problems, to try DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) before updating the graphics drivers.