• 59 results
WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By WMWA

With the new site coming, I've heard they're getting rid of the quest system. Yes, it's a bummer, but I'm not coming to bitch. Will the ranking system remain or no? It doesn't make sense for it to if there isn't going to be a quest system, but I like it. It'd be cool if they left our numbered ranks alone when the switch comes, but then I could see it causing a problem with non ranked members. In the same way Gaf'ers needlessly look down on junior members. What do you guys think? Will they get rid of all of it; keep the existing level ranks and give newbies nada; or will there be a new unannounced quest system from the ashes (unlikely). In the meantime, I'll be finishing as many quests as I can in my boredom time. Cheers

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

I hope they get rid of all of it, since it's not really serving a point anymore. Hell, I'm not even certain why our achievements are displayed there, either.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By MEATBALL

Aw man, no more quests? Now I'm way bummed. I've really missed the new quests for new game releases this year, as well as all other forms of intern hijinks.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By awesomeusername

It seems my Level 26 awesomeusername was a waste. That makes me sad.

@MEATBALL said:

Aw man, no more quests? Now I'm way bummed. I've really missed the new quests for new game releases this year, as well as all other forms of intern hijinks.

A long time ago in a CBS buyout, far far away......

Quests were stopped.

The end.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SexyToad

Well if quests are ending anyone mind telling me on how to get the twist of lemon (or something like)

It said someone has to say something to you with some special words.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#6  Edited By Slag

@wmaustin55 said:

With the new site coming, I've heard they're getting rid of the quest system. Yes, it's a bummer, but I'm not coming to bitch. Will the ranking system remain or no? It doesn't make sense for it to if there isn't going to be a quest system, but I like it. It'd be cool if they left our numbered ranks alone when the switch comes, but then I could see it causing a problem with non ranked members. In the same way Gaf'ers needlessly look down on junior members. What do you guys think? Will they get rid of all of it; keep the existing level ranks and give newbies nada; or will there be a new unannounced quest system from the ashes (unlikely). In the meantime, I'll be finishing as many quests as I can in my boredom time. Cheers

keep Quests. they don't hurt anybody and are fun for at least some of us.

sodacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By sodacat

Seems odd that they would get rid of them, since many other sites have similar incentives to use their features (1UP, for instance).

Also GAFers look down on junior members because junior members make almost all the bad posts.

AngriGhandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AngriGhandi

New experience point system based on how many views your profile gets

People with a girl as their avatar immediately prestige twice, retroactively

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Slag:

Except the system is a bit undermined by the few that nobody can ever complete ever.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By Hailinel

@Video_Game_King said:

@Slag:

Except the system is a bit undermined by the few that nobody can ever complete ever.

As well as quests that are restricted to moderators only, preventing anyone but moderators from ever earning them all. Or the fact that too many quests fail to account for every possible valid answer.

And then there's that damn "First!" quest.

I would not be sad to see quests go.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Hailinel said:

And then there's people like me preventing people like you from getting that damn First quest :P. With my time travel, because it seems you actually have the quest.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hailinel

@Video_Game_King said:

@Hailinel said:

And then there's people like me preventing people like you from getting that damn First quest :P.

I already got it, actually.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Hailinel:

I didn't even need time travel for this situation.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

I think I'd rather have that bar show like, my achievement points or something.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15  Edited By crusader8463

Good Riddance! Was always annoyed that they wasted manpower on building that stupid thing instead of putting it to adding useful site features.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Slag

@Video_Game_King:

That I suppose can be fixed. The completion-ist in me is annoyed that I'll never be able to finish some (mod sets, expired sets etc) but that doesn't mean the idea serves no value.

I'm not saying quests are perfect. They certainly aren't. There are plenty of bad quests that prove to be problematic (like the first comment quest) for site quality. But that doesn't mean they can't be salvaged or they don't serve a purpose.

Anyway I'm not sure the point of quests is "winning" anyway. The only way to truly win I suppose is to get a quest set first and since there are no new ones that's no longer possible anyway.

Realistically Quests could potentially have $$ value for Giantbomb if it drives page views to wiki pages (if they put ads on them). That costs them very little I would think and might net them a little extra cash. Plus it helps introduce users to various different features of the site.

If they get rid of them it's not the end of the world, but it definitely got me to do things I probably won't have otherwise on here including blogging and contributing to the wiki. I think they only add net value to the site.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Slag:

They tried ads, once. I'm guessing since it was once, it didn't work out.

mscupcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By mscupcakes

I'd like the bar to show wiki points. Like you level up every couple of hundred to a thousand points. It'd be a great way to encourage people to help with pages.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Slag

@Video_Game_King:

I thought the quests themselves were the sponsored ads that didn't work?

And aren't non-subscribers seeing banner ads and such on forum pages?

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Slag:

No, I mean there was one quest set that was an ad, and since that's the only one they've ever done, I'm guessing it didn't work.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Slag

@Video_Game_King:

what I was driving at was having tower banner ads on the wiki pages, which would have to be seen if you navigated to the page in search of the quest item.

Even if they scaled back the quests to say something tied to wiki editing forum posts etc, I would think it could help drive activity to different parts of the site. It certainly got 10,766 wiki points of contributions out of me that I likely would have never have bothered with.

Or maybe I'm the only stupid one influenced by meaningless virtual goodies. A character flaw I readily admit.

anyway I still think Quests help more than hurt, and the problems they have created can be mitigated fairly easily by other means than full scale removal. Just my opinion.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Slag:

I'd say the system does more harm than good. With wiki editing, it's more difficult to make that case due to the clear rules in place, especially for newer members, but it becomes pretty clear with the First comments (rewarding people for this certainly isn't helping) and all those quest blogs that flood the forums.

Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Zithe

@Hailinel said:

Amen. I can't believe the guys have kept that quest around this long. It ruins the whole first page of comments on every single thing on the site. What a dumb thing. I hope they get rid of this one even if they keep the rest.

I actually think some of the scavenger hunt quests are useful for teaching users how to effectively use the site.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Slag

@Video_Game_King:

The first comments and quest blogs probably should be straight up be deleted. I certainly think you have a point there. All that encourages is unproductive behavior.

But does that invalidate the rest?

How does watch x videos, find this item etc hurt anybody?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By Animasta

if they really wanted ad space, they would create sponsored quests that require you getting achievements for new game release A

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hailinel

@Slag said:

@Video_Game_King:

The first comments and quest blogs probably should be straight up be deleted. I certainly think you have a point there. All that encourages is unproductive behavior.

They haven't created any new quests for about a year, and the artist that they contracted to do the artwork for them is no longer associating herself with Giant Bomb. The quest feature has stagnated and it's evident that the staff has no interest in maintaining it at this point.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By Dagbiker

They should remove all achievements they have on the site as of now. And add an achievement for being a member of Giantbomb for x number of years. Such as a

• Whatever happened before I was here...
  • Persona 4 Achievement.
  • <> Achievement.
  • Whatever happened in 2011.
  • And so forth and so forth.
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By Milkman

Who said they were getting rid of quests?

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DoctorWelch

Yeah, quests are stupid and I say get rid of the rank. No point in having a rank if it doesn't really mean anything.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By SomeDeliCook

@Video_Game_King said:

@Hailinel said:

And then there's people like me preventing people like you from getting that damn First quest :P. With my time travel, because it seems you actually have the quest.

I've cock blocked at least 3 first quests. I got it and then in the same week I got it again.

I feel dickish, but I actually take time to write out a few sentences worth instead of the usual placeholder "LOL COOL" and then later edit it.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Bigandtasty

If new quests are no longer a goal for the site, I see no problem in eliminating them.

I wonder how imcalling.it will get points if anyone still plays there, though.

And I agree that the First quest was not a good idea.. I got it for one LEGO Harry Potter video and immediately deleted my comment to allow someone else to get it.

Perhaps an even worse idea was the quest for posting a blog. At the very least put something in there for "don't attach it to the forums if your blog post lacks anything of substance."

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By ajamafalous

I'm actually pretty upset about that. I really enjoyed all the scavenger hunt quests.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Slag

@Hailinel said:

@Slag said:

@Video_Game_King:

They haven't created any new quests for about a year, and the artist that they contracted to do the artwork for them is no longer associating herself with Giant Bomb. The quest feature has stagnated and it's evident that the staff has no interest in maintaining it at this point.

And that is a shame in my opinion.

If quests do get eliminated, I hope something else gets added. The site needs more content/value of late not less.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Slag said:

The site needs more content/value of late not less.

Given how little attention they've been paying to the quests in the past year (as in "no attention whatsoever"), can it really be considered less at all?

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Slag

@Video_Game_King said:

@Slag said:

The site needs more content/value of late not less.

Given how little attention they've been paying to the quests in the past year (as in "no attention whatsoever"), can it really be considered less at all?

I feel like I'm playing endless devil's advocate here. I doubt either of us is going to change our minds

yes I would say it's less. Maybe not for you or me who have done most of what's available quest wise but there are new users coming here all the time. Those quests would always be new to them. And that's when (when you are new to the site) I think they are most useful/fun anyway.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#36  Edited By MEATBALL

Yup, the quest system is a really nice welcome to new members, I thought. I enjoyed messing with it when I first signed up. But hey, wouldn't want to foster a sense of fun around here. Get rid of the quests, and those stupid reviewer portraits. no fun zone!

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ShockD

This sucks; quest were what made this site unique back then.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By Legend
@ajamafalous
I'm actually pretty upset about that. I really enjoyed all the scavenger hunt quests.
Yeah, same here. I don't want my quests to go away! I worked hard to get them. XD
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#39  Edited By Hizang

I never got into the quest system, I was happy when I got a super rare quest but that must have been my peak.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#40  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Good. I always got annoyed when the stupid box popped up saying I'd done a quest or made progress on a quest.

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By James_ex_machina

I miss the quests. Unfortunately I didn't know about any of the GB gang until the whole Gamespot thing. Sure I visited Gamespot for reviews but that was it. When Jeff became a daily headline on digg I started following the news about his new project. When GB was up and running I clicked around in the site and thought it was cool. Eventually I checked out the podcast and became hooked. I still went to Joystiq for my news but GB if I wanted to look up a game. I saw the quest on the site and ignored them until one if them made me want to try it. I joined GB just to play that quest. It was cool. People at work usually joke around how I will find an answer to anything in 10 seconds. I guess they don't know how to use google. Anyway the quests had me addicted to the site. I was looking up old games, clicking on what games had a whip or some crazy element. During that time I would edit a mistake here and there(I only have a couple edits) but I wanted to help make the site better. I was on GB hours a day. My live for the site lead to my paid membership. When the quest stopped my GB visits slowly stopped. I still love the site and all it has to offer but the addictive substance is gone for me. Sure the Bombcast is my #1 podcast and I still check out the videos but my reading of content on GB is minimal at best. GB is the reason I spent a grand to go to PAXeast. The live GB show was the driving factor to go. I plan on going to next years although I will enjoy the games more next year at Pax. My point is, for me, the quests were addictive and increased my page clicks and time spent on the GB site by 1,000 or more. Patrick's news stories are great but when I'm looking for straight up gaming news headlines, Joystiq is back in my daily rotation. Quests aren't for everyone as I've read in this forum, but there are a lot of us that gave this site a few extra clicks because of them. At this time I still plan on renewing my membership to avoid ads and because I enjoy the entertainment supplied by the whole GB crew.
Please bring quests. Maybe have an option where people can turn off notifications if the don't like them.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By WMWA

@James_ex_machina: same boat as you

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#43  Edited By jeff

It's true that quests won't be a part of the new site at its initial rollout (because, as I understand it, that system really fucking hard to build), but that doesn't mean they're going away forever. I'm hoping that we'll be able to bring them back at a later date.

But yeah, that's why we haven't been writing and posting new sets this year.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Jeff said:

I'm hoping that we'll be able to bring them back at a later date.

Just don't pull another 775 on us.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#45  Edited By Jrinswand

I can't remember the last time that I actively completed a quest. It must have been like two or three yeas ago.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By WMWA

@Jeff: right on, man. my bigger question was are we going to keep our "level ranking" system or no? because i could see it both ways. you piss of older users who ranked up through quests if you ditch it, yet alienate new members who don't have an easy route to ranking up if you keep it.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47  Edited By crusader8463

Good riddance. The less manpower wasted on that stupid "feature" the better. Would rather have the folks working on something that's actually useful on the site.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#48  Edited By Ramone

I was interested in quests for a couple of months but they mean nothing to me now.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#49  Edited By jeff

@wmaustin55 said:

@Jeff: right on, man. my bigger question was are we going to keep our "level ranking" system or no? because i could see it both ways. you piss of older users who ranked up through quests if you ditch it, yet alienate new members who don't have an easy route to ranking up if you keep it.

We'll keep all the data about completed quests and XP and such. Assuming the new system, if implemented, builds off of the existing system, we'd use that data. But hey, we might come up with a billion better ideas and go in a different direction that'd make us want to start over. I guess what I'm really saying is that we aren't thinking about it at all right now (I recently submitted the table of roles and weighting for the new credits pages, in case you're curious) and we aren't likely to start thinking about it in any real detail until the new site has launched. And we may come to the conclusion that we're better off without them! Anything's possible!

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By WMWA

@Jeff: gotcha. good enough answer for me. i am very curious how that "weightlifting" idea gets implemented. Lots of trolls would love to edit that, im sure. excited for the future of the site!