RAGE looks like Borderlands or Fallout comments

Avatar image for deactivated-592be1c2327fc
deactivated-592be1c2327fc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So many people, apparently born about four years ago, don't realize that the post-apocalyptic genre existed before Borderlands or Fallout.

Comparing the latest game in an established genre to the last game that came out in that genre is not interesting or insightful.

"Oh this new racing game reminds me of the  last racing game that I played. "

So what??? Who cares?
IF you were literally born two years ago, then Borderlands might seem "ground breaking", but if you think for a minute, you'd realize it is just ANOTHER shooting game set in the post-apocalypse, with Diablo style loot.  

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By LiquidSwords

Peoples attention span doesn't really last long these days. I'm surprise they even remember Fallout and Borderlands .

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#3  Edited By BeachThunder

Well Borderlands is a game, so it's a better comparison than Mad Max...

Um...this thread is a little strange...I have to...uh...go now :s

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee

They're some of the most recent, so naturally some people would strike a comparison to those first.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Cameron

I'm not sure what you are complaining about here. Rage does look like those games. Just because they share other influences doesn't mean that Rage doesn't in fact look like Borderlands and Fallout. Now if these people were claiming that Rage is some sort of rip-off of Borderlands and Fallout, then maybe I could see a problem.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Oldirtybearon

The Borderlands allusion I can understand, but Fallout doesn't make a lick of damn sense. 

If anything, I'd say RAGE owes a lot of its look to Mad Max, with a bit of C.H.U.D. thrown in in regards to the monster designs.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Cameron: 
     I am complaining about THIS:

I want to be able to see a game set in the post apocalypse OR with cell shading, 
WITHOUT 500 people saying, 
                 "uuuh duh, look like Borderlands!"
                                     as IF that were a useful or interesting INSIGHT!

OH? It looks like Borderlands to YOU? REALLY? Thank you so MUCH for sharing that!

It hadn't OCCURRED to me that Borderlands is set in the post apocalypse, and so is Rage. YOU ARE A GENIUS!!!

Comparing Rage to Borderlands and Fallout is something that should happen IN YOUR HEAD! Not filling up the comments pages like some diarrhea-stricken puppy shitting all over the floor and smiling proudly about their production.
JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By JoeyRavn
@Old_Corncob said:

"  So many people, apparently born about four years ago, don't realize that the post-apocalyptic genre existed before Borderlands or Fallout.  "Uh... reminds me of Borderlands and Fallout"... drools, eats more cereal.   WHAT ARE YOU, TEN YEARS OLD???  Why don't you visit a video store or pick up a book??? You MIGHT find that Borderlands and Fallout are reworkings of genre tropes that have been used for decades AT LEAST.   These people lack a fundamental cultural literacy, IN POP CULTURE!!   I can understand that most people may not have read a lot of classic literature, or haven't sat through a Wagnerian opera, haven't boned up on essoteric or cult cinema,  BUT HAVE YOU NEVER EVEN WATCHED MAD MAX?   I am going to explode. "

So what?  Are you saying that Rage does not look at all like Fallout or/and Borderlands? No one is saying these games invented the genre or denying the importance of influential past works. It's a perfectly valid comparison, especially taking into account the popularity of those games in the recent years and the facts that Bethesda worked on the revival of the Fallout series with Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Drop your elitist attitude, dude. 

Edit: Seeing your previous post, I won't even bother following this conversation. Enjoy your Wagnerian operas.
bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bravetoaster
@Old_Corncob said:
" @Cameron:       I am complaining about THIS:  I want to be able to see a game set in the post apocalypse OR with cell shading,  WITHOUT 500 people saying,                   "uuuh duh, look like Borderlands!"                                      as IF that were a useful or interesting INSIGHT!  OH? It looks like Borderlands to YOU? REALLY? Thank you so MUCH for sharing that!  It hadn't OCCURRED to me that Borderlands is set in the post apocalypse, and so is Rage. YOU ARE A GENIUS!!!                       Comparing Rage to Borderlands and Fallout is something that should happen IN YOUR HEAD! Not filling up the comments pages like some diarrhea-stricken puppy shitting all over the floor and smiling proudly about their production. "
So you don't want anyone to share their opinions, unless you agree with them?
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Brendan

I'm eating cornflakes, and Rage is a total douche-bag asshole motherfucker rip-off of Borderlands and Fallout.  God, what did those jerks at id ever do?  Nothin I ever heard of.    

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Borderlands wasn't post-apocalyptic. It was basically a hillbilly trailer park on a backwater planet.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#12  Edited By Yummylee
@Brendan said:
" I'm eating cornflakes, and Rage is a total douche-bag asshole motherfucker rip-off of Borderlands and Fallout.  God, what did those jerks at id ever do?  Nothin I ever heard of.     "
Do you add a little sugar to your Cornflakes? I know that just makes em Frosties, more or less, but Cornflakes are always so tasteless otherwise, for me.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ryanwho

Rage reminds me more of Escape from LA than anything. Here's a sad fact; if you were born the day Escape from LA came out, you're now old enough to drive a car. Now feel old. 
But yeah. You can't ignore that a bunch of games suddenly look more like, er "Mad Max" right after Fallout 3 is a huge success. It doesn't matter much who started the aesthetic, its pretty clear the trend was started by Fallout 3. Rage looks like this because Fallout 3 was a hit.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b71f33ff
deactivated-5ffc9b71f33ff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 18

The internet says hello. People are idiots. It's our job to just ignore them.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JoeyRavn
@DryvBy said:
" The internet says hello. People are idiots. It's our job to just ignore them. "
I don't think that's the problem here. He's complaining about a legitimate comparison. What bothers hims is that people actually verbose that they find similarities between the two games. People may be stupid, but he's the one with the douchey attitude here. "Practice what you preach" and everything. This thread is as obnoxious, if not more, as the comments he hates so much.
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By Skald

The purpose of this thread confuses me. People compare it to Fallout and Borderlands because they are video games with similar looking settings, themes and concepts. There's nothing wrong with that. 

I don't see what anyone gains by comparing it to Mad Max instead. It invented post-apocalyptic fiction just as much as Fallout did: not at all. I mean, we could compare them all to the Book of Daniel, the Book of Revelation or The Last Man by Mary Shelley, but that doesn't make any goddamn sense. Sure, they were apocalyptic before Borderlands was, but being the prototypical example of a genre doesn't exactly make it the yardstick by which they are all measured by. It speaks to reason that something that came out a couple of years earlier (as opposed to several centuries) and in the same medium (video games as opposed to books) would be a more apt comparison. That's what people are doing here, and to be quite frank I don't have a problem with it. 

It's internet elitism, straight up.

zenteo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By zenteo
@Old_Corncob said:
@Cameron:       I am complaining about THIS:  I want to be able to see a game set in the post apocalypse OR with cell shading,  WITHOUT 500 people saying,                   "uuuh duh, look like Borderlands!"                                      as IF that were a useful or interesting INSIGHT!  OH? It looks like Borderlands to YOU? REALLY? Thank you so MUCH for sharing that!  It hadn't OCCURRED to me that Borderlands is set in the post apocalypse, and so is Rage. YOU ARE A GENIUS!!!                       Comparing Rage to Borderlands and Fallout is something that should happen IN YOUR HEAD! Not filling up the comments pages like some diarrhea-stricken puppy shitting all over the floor and smiling proudly about their production.
Now, this guy showed us what RAGE really looks like!
Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Spoonman671

It's ok to compare things.  I promise.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zenteo: A fine first post sir.  
phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By phrali

ummm borderlands and fallout are GOOD. so why are you so freaking pissed off?

i'd be mad if they were comparing my game to mindjack or something. 

also, rage looks like borderlands or fallout. if it isn't like those please explain to me why not because CANT FUCKING FIGURE OUT WHAT THIS GAME IS SUPPOSED TO BE

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ryanwho

That's cool OP. But Rage looks liek Borderlands and Fallout. Rage exists because Borderlands and Fallout were successful, not because Mad Max and Escape From New York came out a few decades back. K. 
edit 
Nevermind, I covered this shit 6 months back.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryanwho: Rage was in development before Fallout 3 was ever released . You are an idiot.

Now that Rage is getting closer to release, any more bitches wanna say, "Ugh, Reminds me of Book of Eli because I have a one week long memory and that is the only Post Apocalyptic genre-related thing I can remember because I am a generally ignorant Philistine,"???

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Given the success and the amount of people who played Fallout or Borderlands are you really surprised? They are one of the best post-apocalyptic games out there. They aren't the same games, but come on, they do have some similarities. Anyway I'm pretty excited for RAGE.

@Old_Corncob: Also, dude, what the fuck's your problem?

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SlightConfuse

i don't see a problem here, what do you want them to compare it to. both fallout 3 and borderlands are excellent games, you are acting like everyone making a comparions to them murdered you dog or something. I excited for rage because it from Id and it isa fallout type of game

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By landon

Still kinda looks like Borderlands and Fallout.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By prestonhedges
lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By lockwoodx

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ch3burashka

Don't get your panties in a twist. Rage will prove its worth soon enough, and Fallout/Borderlands comparisons will stop or at least will be taken less seriously.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JoeyRavn

@Old_Corncob said:

@ryanwho: Rage was in development before Fallout 3 was ever released . You are an idiot.

Now that Rage is getting closer to release, any more bitches wanna say, "Ugh, Reminds me of Book of Eli because I have a one week long memory and that is the only Post Apocalyptic genre-related thing I can remember because I am a generally ignorant Philistine,"???

Personal attacks? Stay classy.

And it seems you don't have a one week long memory if you felt the need to bump this topic after one month. That, or you're terribly bitter. Anyway, you still haven't adressed what I said like six months ago: this is a legitimate comparison. Similar gameplay, similar visual style, similar thematic, even similar developers. Comparing these games is not bad nor wrong, get off your fucking high horse.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By icicle7x3

Can we instead say what Rage doesn't look like?

Rage doesn't look like Super Mario Galaxy or Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts.

Is that better?

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#31  Edited By Hizang

Last time I checked, those games were pretty good.

BarretX79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BarretX79

Rage looks mediocre :(

If reviews are bad, my Rage pre-order is becoming Rayman Origins

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@KingWilly said:

The Borderlands allusion I can understand, but Fallout doesn't make a lick of damn sense. If anything, I'd say RAGE owes a lot of its look to Mad Max, with a bit of C.H.U.D. thrown in in regards to the monster designs.

Not CHUD but rather Salute of the Jugger instead.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SomeDeliCook

OP's right, the game totally looks like LA Noire with a bit of Garshasp mixed in.

sawtooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By sawtooth

Reminds me of a midsummer nights dream, what with Pan running around and all...

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#36  Edited By huntad

I'm surprised the people defending this have their panties in such a bunch. At a glance, RAGE does, indeed, look like those two games. So what? Why do you care what people think about a video game? Who's trying to be insightful or interesting? What we're saying is, "Hey, this game looks like that one game that came out..huh.". I, for one, did not expect anyone to go bat-shit insane at a remark I made. Calm down.

EDIT: Sorry if I'm being too direct, but I don't see how the comparisons are invalid. It does resemble Borderlands and Fallout to a point. If I came off as rude or like I was downplaying video games, I'm sorry, but I'm not trying to do so. I'm just trying to give a sort of reality check. Let's all have fun talking about video games again, yeah? Cool.

pjacobson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37  Edited By pjacobson21

but, uh, you know, it does kind of look like borderlands.

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By salad10203

Are they wrong by saying it looks like them?

Maybe it will play nothing like Rage, but visually they carry a lot of similar characteristics.

Mentioning Rage, I can't remember a game ever having less revealed about it before its release. I don't even know what to expect, run and gun fps? quests?

JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By JudgeDread

Almost as stupid like saying Dead Island is like Fallout 3 with zombies. Heres looking at you Greg@ign you stupid fck.

JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JudgeDread

@slightconfuse said:

i don't see a problem here, what do you want them to compare it to. both fallout 3 and borderlands are excellent games, you are acting like everyone making a comparions to them murdered you dog or something. I excited for rage because it from Id and it isa fallout type of game

so is it a hard-core open world RPG?

NO!

it is a FPS/driving game with minimal RPG elements and it will probably be more mission based and not as open world as people think

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SomeDeliCook

@salad10203 said:

Are they wrong by saying it looks like them?

Maybe it will play nothing like Rage, but visually they carry a lot of similar characteristics.

Mentioning Rage, I can't remember a game ever having less revealed about it before its release. I don't even know what to expect, run and gun fps? quests?

...so many missions have video walkthroughs on their main website its not even funny. They're spoiling the hell out of the game.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

So you are pissed off because people are comparing Rage to the best two post apocalyptic games?

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Tennmuerti
@Mr_Skeleton said:

So you are pissed off because people are comparing Rage to the best two post apocalyptic games?

I would say Borderlands has barely anything to do with post apocalyptia.
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Azteck

@Tennmuerti said:

@Mr_Skeleton said:

Not really, no. But they feature similar grounds like scavenging and endless desert and shit like that.

Also OP, way to keep things classy.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@Tennmuerti said:

@Mr_Skeleton said:

I think it's more a matter of the style and art of the environment than actually being post apocalyptic.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Tennmuerti
@Mr_Skeleton said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@Mr_Skeleton said:

I think it's more a matter of the style and art of the environment than actually being post apocalyptic.

Yea but the thing is that the environment is also pretty much just some desert, barely any ruins. There really isn't any survival aspect to the world either (theme wise, not mechanics wise). There is no shittyness, or struggle. No apocalypse.
About the only actual thing that connects Bordelads to post apocaliptia is the Mad Max'ish design of enemies.
I love Borderlands, but honestly it will never ever pop into my head at the mention of post apocalypse.
shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By shinigami420

Rage looks like fucking dog shit who the fuck cares if it is a borderlands rip off? dark souls is coming out the same day so lets just ignore this dumb generic brown fps game

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think everyone missed the point

Henny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Henny

This thread looks like one of those other threads that complained about something or rather.