Avatar image for not_a_bumblebee
#1 Posted by not_a_bumblebee (125 posts) -

Here's the link and a big NSFW warning. Again probably don't watch the video.

Apparently the video is of a crab attacking a cat. The cat is supposedly fine FYI. Still what the fuck is Randy Pitchford's deal? Like is something wrong with him? Does he want to be ousted as CEO of Gearbox? Is he trying to intentionally cause a boycott of Borderlands 3? I just know any interest I had in the next Borderlands game pales in comparison in my not wanting to support a company that seems to enjoy videos of animal cruelty.

#2 Posted by MrGreenMan (212 posts) -

The man is clearly lost it and just needs to get off the internet. I have really no faith in this company moving forward in doing anything with all this crap going on when the CEO has lost his mind and had no control of anything he does or says.

#3 Edited by Jesus_Phish (3881 posts) -

It looks like the video is gone now - removed by either Twitter or the original poster, Pitchfords tweet is still there. If you haven't seen it, it's like @not_a_bumblebee describes but it's obvious that the two animals are put into the situation so someone could film it. It happens in a brick shed, not on a beach or in any other possible way a cat could potentially naturally find a crab. They're both roughly the same size and the cat is being curious about the crab, crab takes it as an attack and latches onto the cat, cat drags the crab around until the crab lets go and then the cat continues to jump around in pain.

Randy Pitchford can 200% go fuck himself and once again I feel so bad for anyone who has to work under that second rate magician fuck. Allegations of swindling money away is bad enough - but those are allegations. Fuck him if they're true. But I saw with my own eyes that he decided it was alright to share animal abuse and then came out with this absolute galaxy brain response

I tend to favor curiosity and disfavor setting up a feeling and empathetic creature for discomfort. Yet among the negative reactions I felt watching this, there’s also some other stuff that isn’t exactly negative. This makes me curious about how other people react...

Hottest Mess 2019 Nominee - Randy Pitchford
#4 Posted by Efesell (4507 posts) -

I also just don't understand the blinders this man seems to have.

Like the internet values animals way more than they ever will people and will drag you mercilessly at the most innocuous things. Let alone what appears to actually be a video purposely set up to get a laugh at the expense of a cat's curiosity.

How could you possibly think anything else than this could happen just throwing it out there with "Submitted for your consideration."

#5 Posted by SethMode (2016 posts) -

I mean, what the shit.

#6 Posted by ltcolumbo (163 posts) -

@jesus_phish: yeah, I saw the original post before it was taken down. F*** that guy. I’ve been a big defender of his in the past, but seriously, f*** that guy. I’m not boycotting anything because he’s not the one who actually makes any games and there are a lot of people who are hopefully less effing stupid who have created it, but...seriously, f*** that guy.

#7 Edited by mellotronrules (2609 posts) -

yeah, fuck this. in my mind, randy has gone from “what the fuck” to “no, fuck this guy.” and the worst part is- this has been a car accident in slow motion. i was revisiting bombcasts from 2011 and even then the crew was lambasting randy for the way he flipped out on twitter when the borderlands 2 announcement got flubbed.

the guy should be removed before he completely torpedoes everyone’s hard work.

#8 Posted by conmulligan (1920 posts) -

How does he keep getting worse.

#9 Posted by cikame (2824 posts) -

Maybe he's just curious about weird and dark things, maybe he has morbid curiosity, regardless as the face of his studio he shouldn't be doing this so openly. Go find a forum somewhere and make an alias, or find a shrink maybe.

#10 Edited by tds418 (480 posts) -

I think Randy might be on drugs. That the head of any company thinks this is an appropriate tweet is just baffling. Someone at Gearbox needs to stage an intervention.

Edit: Also, tweeting about dark impulses and how you feel something other than "negative reactions" to an abusive video mayyyyybe isn't the best idea when a lawsuit alleges you're engaged in CP. Just saying.

#11 Posted by dudeglove (13751 posts) -

For a brief time I was wondering whether or not Randy was actually trying to tank the value of his company intentionally (note: this was actually a business "tactic" in 1990s post-soviet Russia where stakeholders would tank companies they had shares in to basically buy back the whole company on the cheap) but really this is just a narcissistic sociopath continuing to act like a narcissistic sociopath to the point of desperation.

Even though I'm still mostly on board with Pitchford winning hottest mess, I don't want the fucker to even get any more coverage at all - ever. Most people can go through life without being accused of misappropriating company assets to the tune of 12 million USD, or of making sexual advances against minors, or physically assaulting coworkers in hotel lobbies, or willfully and repeatedly lie about their products to the press and public, or have legal suits filed against them by former colleagues - but Pitchford somehow does all of that and more.

@tds418 said:

I think Randy might be on drugs. That the head of any company thinks this is an appropriate tweet is just baffling. Someone at Gearbox needs to stage an intervention.

Edit: Also, tweeting about dark impulses and how you feel something other than "negative reactions" to an abusive video mayyyyybe isn't the best idea when a lawsuit alleges you're engaged in CP. Just saying.

You probably missed the news, but it turns out Gearbox never filed a grievance counter suit(!) soooo....

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-05-24-gearbox-didnt-file-a-grievance-against-former-legal-counsel

#12 Posted by BoOzak (2589 posts) -

Guys, I think it's safe to say he's a troll at this point. Dont take the bait.

Avatar image for not_a_bumblebee
#13 Posted by not_a_bumblebee (125 posts) -

@boozak said:

Guys, I think it's safe to say he's a troll at this point. Dont take the bait.

He's the CEO of a game studio that is part of 2K which is part of Take-Two Interactive not some wacky internet celebrity who is famous for being famous.

#14 Posted by pnd (13 posts) -

@not_a_bumblebee: At this point I don't think there is much distinction between the two in regards to Randy Pitchford.

#15 Posted by stalefishies (446 posts) -

Should the Hottest Mess category just be named after him at this point?

#16 Posted by FacelessVixen (2604 posts) -

I'm just gonna kick up my feet and watch this downward spiral.

Borderlands 3: 2020's PC game of the year. 10 out of 10. Would Pitchford again.

#17 Edited by Onemanarmyy (4399 posts) -

I'm done with this clown. fuck em!

Was never too invested in Borderlands, so this is an easy pass.

#18 Edited by deckard (359 posts) -

Sorry to the Borderlands 3 dev team if the game turns out to be good, but I'm not buying it until he's out of there. He's either having one of the shittiest mid-life crises ever or he thinks he's trolling "politically correct SJWs" or some shit. Either way I'm out. It's a shame too - I played 100+ hours of BL2.

#19 Posted by JasonR86 (10255 posts) -

What the fuck is wrong with this dude?

#20 Edited by Gundato (262 posts) -

God damn it. Randy finally managed to take Borderlands 3 from "I am probably going to buy it because it is great and the devs worked hard" to "I can't buy this because it would support a really bad figure head"

@boozak: Arguably before he was just a troll. Embezzlement allegations and physical assault claims aside, he was still mostly up there with folk like Romero and Smart and CliffyB in terms of "piece of shit, but thinks they are funny". Between the stuff I handwaved to make that claim and outright spreading animal cruelty videos he has transcended from trolling in to actually promoting harm.

#21 Posted by Captain_Insano (3512 posts) -

@gundato said:

God damn it. Randy finally managed to take Borderlands 3 from "I am probably going to buy it because it is great and the devs worked hard" to "I can't buy this because it would support a really bad figure head"

@boozak: Arguably before he was just a troll. Embezzlement allegations and physical assault claims aside, he was still mostly up there with folk like Romero and Smart and CliffyB in terms of "piece of shit, but thinks they are funny". Between the stuff I handwaved to make that claim and outright spreading animal cruelty videos he has transcended from trolling in to actually promoting harm.

100%

Randy went very quickly from 'eccentric millionaire/billiionaire' to proper scumbag fairly quickly.

Borderlands 3 was on my radar, and I don't want the Devs to suffer but...jesus...I don't know that I can

#22 Posted by crackity_jones (49 posts) -

Fuck that dude. I wish he would use his magic and make himself disappear.

#23 Edited by Casepb (707 posts) -

I'm not fan of cats, but this is some sick shit. Unfortunately I can't say I'm surprised that he would do this. I've seen him as a PoS for a long time now.

#24 Posted by count_zero (479 posts) -

I'm wondering if Randy is trying to get 2K to buy Gearbox under the condition that he leaves with a golden parachute.

#25 Posted by sparky_buzzsaw (8891 posts) -

At this point, he’s moved from shitting the bed to shitting the entire Denver Mattress chain. God bless the fucking idiot.

#26 Posted by gkhan (1083 posts) -

@gundato said:

100%

Randy went very quickly from 'eccentric millionaire/billiionaire' to proper scumbag fairly quickly.

Borderlands 3 was on my radar, and I don't want the Devs to suffer but...jesus...I don't know that I can

Yeah, me too. I like the Borderlands games well enough, and it sucks for all the devs that worked their asses off on that game, but I can't give this dude money.

#28 Posted by selbie (2571 posts) -

I really feel for the talented devs trying to make a good game. Everything I've seen from it looks like it will be a great sequel.

This shitheel is making a total clown show out of their company and doesn't deserve the title of CEO and I hope the rest of the company will take action.

#30 Edited by DasaKamov (1126 posts) -

Does Gearbox have a Board of Directors or equivalent? If so, they need to get their shit together and send Pitchford his walking papers. There isn't a single poisitive thing he's done for the company in the past 8 years.

Also, Pitchford's own admission that "watching an animal in pain makes him feel emotions that are not negative" is 100% clinical sadism, with an (un)healthy dose of actual psychopathic tendencies. Saying "seeing animals in pain makes me happy" is a scream for help, and someone needs to get him in psychiatric care center before we hear about Randy Pitchford, serial killer.

#31 Posted by Drachmalius (660 posts) -

He seems like the worst kind of person. Has tons of money and thinks he can say or do whatever he wants without anyone calling him out on his bullshit, because nobody in his own company can. Seriously fuck him, but also I'll probably get Borderlands 3 because it looks good and lots of other talented people worked on it. They probably hate Randy's BS a lot more than anyone else does.

#32 Posted by Barrock (4136 posts) -

Yeah I can't support anything this guy benefits from. He needs to be banished.

#33 Posted by Spookymcslave (1 posts) -

bloody hell, what's gotten into randy?

#34 Posted by TheFlamingo352 (348 posts) -

I wish there was some way to buy Borderlands 3 and get Pitchford out of Gearbox at the same damn time. What an embarassing boss for all the devs there.

#35 Posted by soulcake (2783 posts) -

You know what the best thing about this is, he owns the company nobody can kick him out off his position or make him take a "break". I feel like he's just being a edge lord in order to trigger people i don't know what the end game here is but it's really fucking dumb.

#36 Posted by The_Nubster (4171 posts) -

In the words of Justice...

Randy, get yourself together.

Avatar image for farleyslundgren
#37 Posted by FarleysLundgren (161 posts) -

I swear he’s on some fucking coke fueled bender when he makes these tweets. Completely self destructive.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
#38 Posted by hippie_genocide (2439 posts) -

My interpretation of 2K brass and Gearbox devs leading up to the Borderlands 3 launch:

No Caption Provided

#39 Edited by someoneproud (584 posts) -

Dunno how he thought that was a good idea, although I am morbidly curious to see his next fuck up. The dude has a real knack for pissing people off and tanking his reputation.

#40 Posted by Shaanyboi (1689 posts) -

The fuck is wrong with this guy?

#41 Posted by TheRealTurk (525 posts) -

@soulcake said:

You know what the best thing about this is, he owns the company nobody can kick him out off his position or make him take a "break". I feel like he's just being a edge lord in order to trigger people i don't know what the end game here is but it's really fucking dumb.

Ehhh. I mean, they can't force him to sell his actual ownership interest, but depending on how the board is structured they could theoretically force him out of a decision making role. Of course, they'd need to grow a spine for that to happen and there's been no indication that's gonna happen any time soon.

#42 Posted by StrikeALight (1270 posts) -

Could be another case of a CEO completely losing his god damn mind.

There had been quite a few Twitter meltdowns as of late. (not all gaming related, mind)

#43 Posted by DanThePostman (3 posts) -

Let’s just say that there ISN’T a spot open at Nintendo for this dude. Animal abuse has no place on this planet, he should just be rocketed up into the sun with the East River Barge trash and SI.

#45 Edited by Jesus_Phish (3881 posts) -

@kingbonesaw: Nobody wants to fuck him over like that*

*this is a joke and I entirely agree with you.

#46 Posted by Giant_Gamer (762 posts) -

@strikealight: Yeah, i still remember the story of a CEO who wrote a tweet and got on an airplane. Then, she got fired while she was on that airplane and before it lands because of the intense Twitter attack her company got.

When a CEO say crazy shit to employees, the worst they could do is talk back to him. However, Twitter will look in every dictionary to interpret his words and picks the very worst to make the destruction of his live justified.

If i was working at Gearbox i would band Randy Pitchford from using his real name account on social media. Unless, i'm an awful person and want his position.

#47 Posted by JoeDangerous (592 posts) -

I can't imagine anything else but this happening at the Gearbox office these days.

No Caption Provided