Rare -Very Customer Unfriendly

sdcoiner76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It's been a long time since I have interacted at all on these forms but I just needed a place to vent.

Recently my Sea of Thieves account was permanently banned for ban evasion. This account had 82 days of playtime on it with hundreds of dollars worth of cosmetics.

This ban came out of nowhere and I am still unsure of why my account received this ban.

There are no other accounts that I play the game on and I have never even been banned. I had reached out to support to see if there was anything they could give me about the ban but this is all I received a week later....

"Following further investigation into your accounts removal, as you were identified as using an alternate account to evade our enforcement actions placed against another of your accounts, all of your Xbox Live accounts access to our services have been removed. Our decision on this matter is final."

I have asked for the name of the other accounts because I am fearful that maybe my account is compromised somehow.

Not really anything I'm asking just a warning that your gaming can be taken away at any time even if you're not at fault. I've been playing games since pong (yes I'm old) and I guess I have been lucky enough to never have had this happen before.

The biggest bummer is that I liked Rare and have been playing their games since the Super Nintendo but will never trust them again with any type of multiplayer game.

Just venting. Have a great weekend.....

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I guess instead of Rare it would be worth contacting Microsoft support, though my dealings with them in recent times have been mostly automatic with zero actual human interaction, they don't make it easy to talk to a person.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Is there anyone else in your household that might be playing this game with an account that could get banned? Alternatively, is there anyone using your wi-fi outside of your house? How you might find this out depends on your network setup, though it usually involves putting something like 192.168.0.1 into your web browser and finding a table of connected devices and tracking down all of those devices.

How does Rare go about identifying that people are using alternate accounts? If it's just by IP address or MAC address, that sounds rather simplistic.

In any case, if you have any reason to suspect that an account has been compromised, reset your password (and all accounts that use that same password) and set up two factor authentication if you haven't already. Use the app, don't have them text you a code. I wouldn't guess that someone else is using your account, though, usually once someone is in your account they lock you out of it - but it's still worth changing everything just in case.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

That's really sad, I'm sorry. Kinda like being arrested because of mistaken identity.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

@cikame said:

I guess instead of Rare it would be worth contacting Microsoft support, though my dealings with them in recent times have been mostly automatic with zero actual human interaction, they don't make it easy to talk to a person.

I'd say this MIGHT yield better results, but that just straight-up suuuuuuuuuuuucks. Especially the total lack of appeals or context.